Started by Private User on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts
Private User
7/24/2013 at 2:27 PM

While revising his About Me, I noticed that at least some of his children seem to be attributed to the wrong wives - Anne Rogers died in 1633, so could not have borne children after that date. Additionally, it appears that Rebecca Garde could not be the daughter of William Copp and Anne Rogers, as they were not married until 1614 but she was born in 1606 - three years before William's birth. I thought some of the curators and profiles managers who may know more about this era might want to look into these things.

I've also made minor changes in several of the profiles for this family group, cleaning up small errors such as "United States" and "United Kingdom" in the Country fields, and assigning husband's surnames to wives (who didn't not take their husband's names at this time and place). Not trying to step on any toes!

7/24/2013 at 2:58 PM

Noticed....and agree...

There have been a lot of merges etc since I last looked at the profile....and expect that there might be some errors...

I DID notice the change in country....do not know who thought that the addresses were in US...

Thanks for the heads-up.

7/24/2013 at 3:03 PM

PS.... be careful, he is my 8th great grandfather

Private User
7/24/2013 at 4:28 PM

Really, how wonderful, he's my 10th!

7/24/2013 at 5:09 PM

Well hey you two, he's my 11th. Let me know if I can help.

Private User
7/24/2013 at 5:11 PM

How fun! I didn't know when I started cleaning him up that he was our common ancestor! The best help would be any family stories or photos... What do you mean you don't have any? Sheesh.

;-)

If you feel like straightening out the kids and re-assigning them to the correct mother according to the list I put in his narrative, that would be cool. If not, I'll get to it eventually. Thanks for any help you can give!

7/24/2013 at 5:14 PM

William Copp is my first cousin 7 times removed's husband's third great grandfather.

Private User
7/24/2013 at 5:30 PM

Welcome to this *highly exclusive* family, Bill! ;-)

7/24/2013 at 5:38 PM

I'll see what I can do tomorrow Jen. BTW if he's your 10th great and my 11th great, are you my mother?

Private User
7/24/2013 at 5:54 PM

I could be... we'll know more after you sort out his kids...

/grin

7/24/2013 at 6:04 PM

My world open from Henery Giles and his wife Mary

Henry Giles Greenman Henry Giles Greenman, Esq.

Mary Bliss Greenman (Maxson) Mary Bliss Greenman

7/24/2013 at 7:06 PM

I;ll look at it in the AM..

7/24/2013 at 11:37 PM

It is not so much the wrong mother as it is duplicates Joanna Norden is duplicated under both wives, as is Ann and one Rebecca Garde

For some reason I could not delete the duplicate profiles. Is it because I am not a listed manager? or is my ignorance of computer-eze showing again?

7/25/2013 at 4:03 AM

Checked it ovr and it looks good....especially like that you listed the children of each wife....is most helpful.

Glad my Jonathan's info on birth helped (noticed you made reference to him and the LDS birth record with Goodith as mother.

He's my 7th great grandfather...

7/25/2013 at 4:21 AM

Spoke too soon...problem with his date of birth....

IF his first child was born in 1616....he would have been 7 years old..

As to the multiple children:

1.) Ann..(2 profiles).recorded under both wives....same Aug. 1630 birth date..

2.) Rebecca....(3 profiles).... born 1606 married John Garde....is an MP..(Anne listed as mother)

Rebecca born 1618..(.Anne listed as mother)

Rebecca born 5/6/1641....(Judith listed as mother).

**If the first one married....then I dont believe there would have been an additional Rebecca named with a living same-named female....(my opinion)

3.) Joanna ...one born 10/13/1625...(mother is Anne)

Joanna....born 1625...(mother is Judith).

7/25/2013 at 4:30 AM

He married at age 5???

I think it would be wiser to revert to the 1589 birth date.....and consider that he was most likely 46 when he migrated (not 26).

Private User
7/25/2013 at 6:05 AM

Danny, let's not delete profiles - it's better to "set them free" by removing their incorrect connections, as they will belong to someone at some point. If we just set them free, then they still exist and can be found and reconnected to the right people - if that makes sense. If you open Rebecca Hart's profile and go to the Relationship tab, you can get rid of connections for her that aren't correct.

Private User
7/25/2013 at 6:06 AM

Rebecca Hart Copp cannot be the child of William and Ann - or even William and Judith, Fay...

Private User
7/25/2013 at 6:08 AM

His listing on the Blessing's log shows his birthdate as 1609. His brother is also listed, with a birthdate of 1611... do we have any other sources for his birthdate? I'm inclined to go with the 1609 date unless we have stronger proof for the earlier date...

Private User
7/25/2013 at 6:10 AM

Oh! I see, the marriage date conflicts! Well, let's go look for more proof, then. I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find to support either birthdate...

7/25/2013 at 6:18 AM

Since the children's profiles are extras of the same person, shouldn't we commit mergery on them Jen?

7/25/2013 at 6:24 AM

Jennifer...I didnt say that Rebecca was a child of William and any wife....just that there were 3 Rebecca's and where she was attached.....I made NO statement on whether Rebecca (married to Harte) was correct or not..

However.....his dob could NOT be 1609.....and I suggest reverting to 1589 until a more complete search is made.....since this discussion will most surely lead to other people either trying to change it OR questioning his birth (based on date of marriage and births of children).

Private User
7/25/2013 at 6:38 AM

The Copp Family website lists the age of embarkation on the Blessing AND the 1589 birthdate and never resolves the conflict, lol!

http://www.coppfamilyny.com/coppfamilygeneology.htm

I think your suggestion is best, Fay, will revert the date now.

7/25/2013 at 6:58 AM

Hope you don't mind but I merged the Johanna's. Enough info was the same to make it a no brainer.

When ready, why not send a message to all managers of the changes and reasons. That should avoid some discord.

7/25/2013 at 7:27 AM

Marriage order is an easy fix too and might be less confusing.

7/25/2013 at 9:07 AM

Off subject but can either of you tell me what a name suffix MFD stands for? So far I've figured out the D is for dilemma, because it is.

7/25/2013 at 10:08 AM

William Copp

Dont know if anyone else is having trouble going from discussion to the profile to check out what is being done.....maybe this will help.

Private User
7/25/2013 at 10:14 AM

Danny, instead of sending a direct message to managers, I started this discussion - basically accomplishes the same thing, as all managers should see this discussion in their activity streams. My way of trying to turn this over to the managers instead of trying to muddle through myself, and thus avoiding discord.

Fay, this discussion appears under the Discussion tab on William Copp's profile - that way you don't have to relocate the profile all the time.

7/25/2013 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for telling me that.....but I have to get to Williams page to see the discussion....and that involves going from this to his profile.....doesn't it?

7/25/2013 at 10:51 AM

I keep Geni open in 2 tabs. Discussion and whatever else can be a click away. Not to be confused with a klick away, which is 1,000 meters.

Do you mean that my smarta** remarks are saved forever in cyberspace by replying to discussions? Cool, I'm immortal!!

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion