Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts
9/18/2013 at 6:44 PM

Heres an interesting link found by Private User

http://genforum.genealogy.com/gifford/messages/176.html

I have noticed that, with the spread of the Internet and the International Genealogical Index, bogus (or dubious at best) information tends to get copied and repeated as if it were fact.
I've been interested in genealogy for about 35 years, and, with the Giffords, had to learn about bogus genealogies from the very beginning. My uncle had an old sheet, probably in my great-grandfather's hand from about 1860, but probably written by a "professional genealogist," which stated that
one Walter Gifford, son of Sir Ambrose Gifford, came to Massachusetts in 1630. This , plus the completely fictional English line, was published in a county history in 1912.

Now I see on a webpage mention of a "William Ambrose Gifford" who came to New England! Middle names weren't even in use by the English at that time.

Further, I see that William Gifford, the immigrant ancestor of many Giffords, is given a wife named Patience Russell. What is the source? Apparently a 1930s LDS submission. The IGI includes all sorts of undocumented information such as this. But please note----there is no evidence for such a person! ...

Cross reference:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/128305?msg=896860

Private User
9/18/2013 at 7:09 PM

In another discussion on this topic Erica mentioned some useful warning signs that could help alert researchers to this sort of problem. I found it so valuable I'm going to repeat it here in the hopes that it might help someone else, too!

From Erica: "There were some great "warning signs" mentioned in this case we should always keep in mind:

1) middle names. I actually ran across the first documented use of a middle name in New England in VR of Narragansett, Rhode Island, with the editor's annotation of "a first.". He was a Quaker family lad by the way, and it was I think the 1680s.

2) there is a computer translation of what was meant to be "Mary or Sarah" into Mary Sarah. Which then got parsed by more computer programs into

First name: Mary
middle name: Sarah

Well - no. She's "either" Mary or Sarah (or "no record but based on family naming rhythms we make an educated guess that the 1st daughter was named after the father's mother Mary, and alternately, she's the 2nd daughter, so named for the mother's mother Sarah ..." etc.)

Which is why at the very least "chasing the citations" of a compiler is a great way to assess quality & learn what they based their decisions on ... Which eventually became the cryptic record of

Mary Sarah"

Private User
9/18/2013 at 7:19 PM

Here's another interesting link that discusses "Mysteries of William Gifford": http://www.pcez.com/~bigshoe/du/Elli/tupper.html

Private User
9/18/2013 at 7:26 PM

Btw, just want to tag in the relevant profiles:

William 'the Tailor' Gifford, of Sandwich
William Gifford
William Gifford

9/18/2013 at 7:40 PM

Jennifer is there any reason to wait? Seriously? The research done by the poster on the Gifford list seemed quite good. Please go with it, cite him of course, & prune away ...

9/18/2013 at 7:43 PM

Here's Paul Gifford's page

https://home.comcast.net/~pgifford11/

9/18/2013 at 7:45 PM

Hmm - looks like he's associated with our Allen's of Sandwich MA ....

Private User
9/18/2013 at 8:26 PM

K, if you say so! Just didn't want to step on toes. I'll dive into it tomorrow!

Private User
9/19/2013 at 8:50 AM

Erica Howton

Starting work on him now. Can you please add a Curator Note along the lines of "Do not confuse with other William Giffords in England and the Colonies in the same time period. The father of this William Gifford was NOT Philip Gifford of London; this William Gifford did not marry Patience Russell nor Elizabeth Grant." ? It would be frustrating if people start adding back the wrong relationships as I'm breaking them! Thanks.

9/19/2013 at 9:58 AM

Oh geez - another spurious pedigree in wide circulation (sigh). I'm going to make "unknown parents" also.

9/19/2013 at 12:07 PM

Just tagging in the project name where we discovered this tree

http://www.geni.com/projects/Chase-Lane-Rundlett-Huntoon-and-surrou...

Private User
9/19/2013 at 1:16 PM

Thanks, Erica. The unknown parents profiles are a good idea!

Private User
9/19/2013 at 3:13 PM

"Unknown" parents aren't foolproof, but they do help.

Private User
9/20/2013 at 3:21 AM

see also the Dutch-project we made for the 'problem' of unknown parents:
* http://www.geni.com/projects/naam-oudsten/6214

Private User
9/20/2013 at 6:50 PM

Am finishing William 'the Tailor' Gifford, of Sandwich now - need to add his children to the project til they've been cleaned up as they seem to have some merge-madness as well...

9/20/2013 at 7:29 PM

Private User: Since becoming an armchair genealogist, I had my doubts about middle names of people that lived in the 16th and 17th centuries. However, I do seem to remember stumbling upon one or two *supposedly well-sourced* 16th-century Brits that had middle names. If I remember any, I'll mention them here.

Private User
9/20/2013 at 8:03 PM

Perhaps they were nobility? At any rate, I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule. I know for a fact that the way my life works I no sooner "announce" a rule than someone will immediately come up with an exception! /grin

Not being an expert I have to rely on the expertise of others, though, and this one seems to be a pretty widely-accepted "rule"...

9/20/2013 at 8:15 PM

There are indeed rare instances of middle names in England after Henry VIII broke with Rome. (The old canon law prohibited multiple names.) Middle names start becoming increasingly common in the 16th and 17th centuries, but they were still very rare.

Always be skeptical when you see someone in England or America before about 1800 with a middle name. My experience is that the problem usually a result of merging two different wives or not being sure which of two men might have been the father.

Private User
9/20/2013 at 10:38 PM

Thanks, Justin, that helps clear up some of my confusion!

Private User
9/20/2013 at 10:41 PM

Okay, William Gifford, the Tailor (c.1615 - 1687) is as fixed as I can make him. I've straightened out his tree, annotated his children, and added them all to the Chase/Lane project.

Eyes, please, lots of eyes on William? I'd appreciate it if anyone who feels the urge gives him a going-over. Thanks in advance!

Private User
9/21/2013 at 7:44 AM

The d'Este family of Italy was already using multiple names by the mid-17th century, and James II's second marriage, to Mary of Modena (Maria Beatrice Anna Margherita Isabella d'Este) may have popularized the idea. (They named their son James Edward Francis.)

9/21/2013 at 7:54 AM

Yes, Maven. I said England and America. It's an important cultural difference. The Catholic ban on multiple names was swept away during the Counter-Reformation. One of the reasons England was slow to adopt the Continental fashion was precisely because it was Catholic and therefore suspicious. Same basic idea as calendar reform. You'll see Protestant countries following one practice and Catholic countries another.

We probably need to put Puritan names in a different category. Praise God Barebone is said to have been christened Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone, but that doesn't mean he had multiple names ;)

Private User
9/21/2013 at 10:02 AM

Puritan names belong in a category all their own. :-D

9/21/2013 at 12:38 PM

One of my own family spurious pedigrees is the "fault" of a Puritan name.

Thanks-be-to-the-Lord Perkins was (unfortunately in this case) literate & signed a letter supporting her Concord minister is one of them "sprinkle versus immersion" baptism fights. I think she was on the side of - "it's dang cold here, can't we just sprinkle, like, symbolically?"

Unfortunately the "Perkins" got cut off in the copy technology used in the 1650s, and until fairly recently, she was noted in genealogies by the name

Thanks Lord

And of course all kinds of "Lords" associated - particularly The Lord so & so who married Dorothy Bird.

She named her daughter (who named her daughter etc etc)

Thankful

Private User
9/21/2013 at 12:44 PM

Now THAT'S a great story!!! Oh, my goodness, all those generations of well-meaning people earnestly copying the same mistake over and over - and then the muddled lords added in. Sheesh.

I doubt there's a more frustrating avocation - but the rewards are equally great!

9/21/2013 at 1:01 PM

Erica Howton: I think that I might be a descendant of hers. Can you please post a link to her profile?

9/21/2013 at 2:16 PM

Thankslord “Thanks” Shepard

Would love see more tree build outs. I tend to concentrate at the immigrant generations & have not yet connected all lines ...

9/21/2013 at 2:23 PM

I have a few waiting in the wings, but with over 275,000 people in my personal database to either add to or modify on Geni, it could be a while before I get to them...

9/21/2013 at 3:19 PM

Erica Howton: Thanks for the link! I didn't think that she was a daughter of Thomas Lord of Towcester by Dorothy Bird like I had seen in numerous places. I appear to be a 10th great grandson. The line of descent to me looks like this:

[Thankslord “Thanks” Shepard]

[Thankful Dill]

[Thankful Reade]

[Peter Read]

[Sarah Pierce / Cummings] / [Unknown Profile] (merge needed here)

[Abel Pierce]

[Harriet Robinson]

[Mary P. Willey]

[Calvin Lucien Willey]

[Lyla Caroline Warden]

[John Murdoch Warden]

[Jeanne Murdoch Rigali]

[John Albert Rigali] (me)

(Sorry to everyone for taking the thread off topic.)

9/21/2013 at 3:24 PM

Hmm we'll have to get that better hooked on Geni because you're currently showing something twisty

http://www.geni.com/path/John+Albert+Rigali+is+related+to+Thankslor...

(I love this stuff )

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion