John Albert Rigali
|Current Location::||Mount Juliet (37138), Wilson County, Tennessee, United States|
|Birthplace:||Beverly Hospital, Montebello, Los Angeles County, California, United States|
About John Albert Rigali
I was born at 1:44 PM.
timeline with other people featured on Geni
- schoolmate (1977-1987) and co-worker (circa 1984; circa 1985; 1991; circa 2001 to circa 2004) of Martin Atencio (and he is married to one of my 8th cousins once removed)
- schoolmate (1981-1986) of Victor Oseguera and Geoff Cook
- co-worker (1988) of my wife
- co-worker (1993-1994) of my father
- co-worker (2012-2014) of Tom McCarl (he's my 11th cousin once removed, but Geni only identifies him as my 18th cousin twice removed so far; we laughingly refer to ourselves as "twin sons of different mothers" because there are several uncanny parallels between our childhoods)
- co-worker (2014-2016) of Jeff A. Troxell, a descendant of George Jacob "Big Jake" Troxell and "Princess" Cornblossom (both of whom are relatives of mine)
- teammate (2015) of Mandi Duncan
- teammate (2015-2016) of Mark Daugherty
- teammate (2015-2016) of Rasheed Eggleston
In 1995, my father's 2nd cousin Donald Floyd Rigali - of whose existence I had not been aware - approached me to learn about my "twig" of the Rigali family tree. I became fascinated by this hobby called genealogy, and soon began collaborating with him, and also began piecing together the maternal side of my family tree. I unwittingly and unfortunately destroyed my relationship with Don in the early 2000s. In late 2012, I decided to focus on migrating my personal database (which contains over 300,000 persons as of October 2015) to Geni.
I was raised without religion. I vacillated between atheism and agnosticism from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s. A few of my friends practiced Christian evangelism to me, but they only convinced me to turn my back on atheism.
I finally began to understand in 1998 that I am a spiritual being, and that I had no spiritual nourishment. From then until 2009, God acted through my good friend Martin Atencio (mentioned above) to bring me into His church, the Roman Catholic Church.
It is customary for unbaptized converts to the Catholic faith to spend two years in its preparatory program, RCIA; however, I spent more than two years in RCIA at my then-nearest parish, Immaculate Conception Church. I had been led (perhaps unwittingly) to believe that my particular situation warranted my completion of special preparatory tasks. I did not get clear guidance about these tasks at my parish, so I requested guidance from the office of the San Gabriel Pastoral Region (the pastoral region to which Immaculate Conception Church belongs). The office informed me that I did not have to complete any special preparatory tasks, and its sitting pastoral leader at the time, now-retired Bishop Gabino Zavala, apparently instructed my parish's then-pastor, Rev. Charles J. Ramirez, to expedite my initiation. I suspected at that time that Bishop Zavala had "fast-tracked" me because of my relation to Cardinal Justin Francis Rigali (see links section below); my suspicion was reinforced when I discovered in August 2014 that Bishop Zavala purchased 221 North Cabrillo Avenue in December 13, 2006 from Virginia, the widow of Cardinal Rigali's eldest brother Philip.
I was fully initiated (baptism, first Holy Communion, confirmation) at Immaculate Conception Church. It is standard Church practice that a parish's pastor perform all baptisms of adult initiates, but exceptions are permitted. In the Easter vigil mass in which I was initiated, all of the adults to be baptized except me were baptized by Fr. Ramirez, but as a permitted exception and a surprise gift to me, my baptism was performed by the parish's associate pastor at that time, Rev. Chris Troxell, with whom I had bonded during the lattermost part of my time in RCIA and who might be related to me through Christian Trachsel.
After I was put on the path to Catholicism, I began to note the abundance of European Catholics (including numerous saints, and even some popes) from whom so many people (including myself) descend. I now strive to discover and reveal their Catholic faith and good works.
nearest notable relatives
- Justin Francis Rigali, paternal 1st cousin twice removed <Wikipedia link>
- Matt Gourley, maternal 2nd cousin
- Don August, paternal 3rd cousin <Wikipedia link>
- Shawn Toovey, paternal 3rd cousin once removed <Wikipedia link>
- Susan Sarandon, paternal 6th cousin
- Eva Amurri, paternal 6th cousin once removed
- Lucille "Lukie" Beaudine (daughter of William "One-Shot" Beaudine), maternal grandaunt by marriage
- Viola Barry, paternal great grandaunt by marriage <Wikipedia link>
- http://www.italiansrus.com/surnames/iscri.htm (search for "Rigali, John Albert")
- http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/Mayo/mayosurnamesAtoG.htm (search for "John Rigali")
- http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/Mayo/mayosurnamesHtoL.htm (search for "John Rigali")