Stories for all Time

Started by Justin Durand on Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
3/18/2014 at 8:09 PM

"“Stories for all time” is a three-year research project on Icelandic fornaldarsögur.
Its aim is to investigate the transmission of the texts from the middle ages onwards, mapping their production, dissemination and reception in relation to broader historical, social and cultural processes. At the same time, the project is preparing electronic editions of some of the more important and/or interesting manuscripts in which the sagas are preserved, thereby making the texts available to researchers, students and other interested parties."

http://www.medievalhistories.com/stories-time-icelandic-legendary-s...

Are you a saga geek like me? This is the most exciting piece of news I've seen in years.

3/18/2014 at 11:51 PM

Beautiful! Just having consistent names for the things would simplify our world a lot..... this sounds like a wonderful thing to have happen.

3/19/2014 at 3:20 AM

Wonderful. I've been to Orkney to see the Orkneyjarl sites, maybe it's time I went to Iceland?

3/19/2014 at 3:23 AM

Sharon, we should plan a trip to Iceland at the same time. It's number one on my list of places I've never been.

3/19/2014 at 5:04 AM

I'm in :-)

Private User
3/19/2014 at 1:02 PM

You guy's let me know when you arrive so I can meet up with you if I am at home :)

3/19/2014 at 1:07 PM

Anna, we were hoping to stay with you! ;)

Private User
3/19/2014 at 1:10 PM
Private User
3/19/2014 at 8:23 PM

@Justin Swanström - That could get interesting .. gathering us genealogy nerds from several parts of the World together in one place :)

3/19/2014 at 8:45 PM

Anna, that article looks very interesting. I love that stuff. I was studying the sagas for my master's degree. I wished I had finished. I would love to see Iceland. It would certainly be interesting, even better with a group of genealogy nerds.

Private User
3/29/2014 at 9:57 AM

@Justin Swanström - We are rather impressed over here after reading this article. My professors in Folklore and Medieval Studies at the Uni in Iceland are also impressed over this article. Specially because it's done by foreign scholars that have little connection to Iceland and are outside the Icelandic academic community.

We are always trying to find something that can prove or disprove the credibility of The Sagas. The research described in this article focuses on is a welcome addition to the debate on these issues.

Genealogy nerds with interests in The Sagas should visit Reykholt where my ancestor Snorri Sturluson lived ... and died :)
http://www.snorrastofa.is/default.asp?Sid_Id=7222&tId=1&tre...|

3/30/2014 at 9:25 AM

I wish I could read it too - it looks great - but it won't let me view it without buying it. .

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion