George Allen, of Sandwich - Additional link?

Started by Private User on Friday, June 27, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 125 posts

If the birth and death dates are right - which I will check next - we can alter the Samuel Allen, of Bridgewater profile @Samuel of Bridgewater as follows and as to include these children :

Deacon Samuel Allen, Jr.; = Sam of Bridgewater = the Sam who is the son of Braintree Sam

Samuel Allen b 4 Dec 1660, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, d 28 Jun 1750, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md Rebeckah Cary 2 Dec 1685, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA. = Samuel Allen, III;

Essiel Allen b 1 Mar 1662/63, Duxbury, Plymouth, MA. = Essiel Allen;

Mehitabel Allen b 20 Jan 1664/65, Duxbury, Plymouth, MA, d aft 20 Oct 1727, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md Isaac Alden 2 Dec 1685, East Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA. = Mehitable Alden;

Sarah Allen b 14 Apr 1667. = Sarah Carey / Snow;

Bethiah Allen b 12 May 1669, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md John Pryor 1687-1690, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA. = Bethia Prior;

Nathaniel Allen b 10 Feb 1671/72, Bridgewater Plymouth, MA, d bef 1 Oct 1751, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md Bethiah Conant 14 Dec 1696, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA.= Nathaniel Allen;

Ebenezer Allen b 14 Oct 1674, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, d 1730, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md Rebecca Skeath 11 Oct 1698, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA. = Ebenezer Allen;

Josiah Allen b 21 Apr 1677, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, d 1781, East Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md Mary Reed 25 Dec 1707, East Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA. = Josiah Allen, Jr.;

Elisha Allen b 8 Feb 1678/79, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, d 5 Aug 1720, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md Mehitabel Byram 3 Dec 1701, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA.= Elishah Allen;

Nehemiah Allen b 5 Jan 1680/81, Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA; md Sarah Wormall 8 Jan 1706/07.= Nehemiah Allen;

These don’t belong:
Mindwell Allen;
Hannah Allen;
Thomas Allen;
Joseph Allen;
Eleazer Allen and
Asahel Allen

I will post again to confirm the correct birth and death dates

This is the profile above

Deacon Samuel Allen

Ok this guy is being mixed up with his father, it looks like.

Deacon Samuel Allen, Jr., of Northampton

Maybe he was a deacon too, but the Sam of Bridgewater was the deacon listed in your web post, Erica, and was the son of Braintree.

and this -

http://www.johnbrobb.com/JBR-ALLENtrees-R.htm#Samuel1604

It shows a Nehemiah Allen born to George Allen circa 1688 buts thats the only one I see on this tree.

This Samuel is married to Sarah Tuck
http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000001694283859

This Samuel is married to Sarah Partridge
http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000011914718218

Sorry to come late to the party, have just spent an hour re-reading and catching up. You guys are moving at the speed of light and I can't process that quickly, but wanted to let you know that I'm following and will jump in if I have something that adds to the discussion! Very appreciative of all the work that you're doing.

You're not late!

Jennifer - this breaking news DNA is a major find.

May I suggest you read the report and "then" think about how it can be used for our (common?) George of Sandwich ancestral line?

Anne is more clearly going down the (closely related but not a son of George) Samuel of Braintree line. So Angus, Anne & I are working on that piece.

Have read report (what an amazing time we live in!). Understood every other word. Need to re-read and take notes, while I have our George's profile and tree open. This will undoubtedly take the rest of my life to grasp... ;-)

Thanks Angus, for the clarification - I was meaning the parents of Nehemiah Allen Sr, whose line eventuates in Ethan Allen of Revolutionary War fame.

The other Sam lines make sense now, if I assume that there are two deacon Sams in the family tree - one is the son of Braintree Sam the other the son of Windsor Sam

There are more than those, if you did a search on New England Samuel Allen's you will find (my bet) at least 10 different ones between 1600-1680.

Best to make Master Profiles of them and reference the wife in the curator note, and add a toponymic to the display suffix.

Ok, what's going on with the photo section. I can't seem to add photos to my albums. I got so so fed up that I simply delete the whole things. I had no clue where I was. So I will start over another time. It was all Salem, Mass houses and name Plaques.

Judy I'm afraid I can't help much about photo albums. It's a Geni customer support question. Customer Service if you'd be kind enough during the work week to assist Judy? My thanks.

Thanks. I have never had any luck with customer suport.

Judy - curators do not have the tools to assist on images, their albums, etc. it's tied into your user profile, and of course that's nothing a volunteer should be involved with.

Just give customer support the time to work with you on it. I think they're likely smashing!

Erica - wondering why you removed Ann Whitemore or Whitmore from the wife of Sam Braintree? all of the records appear to believe that this is probably who it was >>>>see

http://www.geneajourney.com/allen.html

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rlylebrown/bioall...

http://www.johnbrobb.com/JBR-ALLENtrees-R.htm#Samuel1604

Private User & Angus Wood-Salomon I need a little time with Samuel (2nd generation). I think there are 2 who both died in Northampton the same year. 1 married Wolford, the other married Tuck.

I may come up for breath in several months ... Just kidding ! (I hope)

Anne - those trees are wrong.

Ann Whitmore is an entirely different person.

See the CapeCodGens site. Only one who nailed it.

http://capecodgenes.com/web%20cards/ps01/ps01_204.html

Samuel of Braintree's 1st wife is Ann (unknown). His 2nd wife is Margaret, widow of Edward Lamb, speculated maiden name of French.

Sorry, I still do not remember having any Allens in my line. A lot of my ancestry is/was centered in the Mass. area, but I do not recall there being any Allens...?

Lisa Ann Orosco
Are you being notified about these discussions?

If you are and don't want to , just click on unfollow

I've temporarily made this profile parentless

Samuel Allen, of Windsor & Northampton

It was mixed in with Samuel Allen, of Beverly & Manchester

Robert Allyn, of Salem & New London & William Allen, of Salem & Manchester have been disconnected as children of Sir Edward Alleyn, 1st Baronet of Hatfield & Elizabeth Allyn

They are, speculatively, brothers, and no valid suggested parents I can find.

If anyone can figure out the wife of Rev. John Allen that would be appreciated. She had the wrong parents.

In trying to find out the wife of Rev John Allen I found this about the George(s) - Maybe its helpful?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20163577

Yes - it explains why the tree has been such a horror show

"According to Anderson's recent definitive sketch of George Allen: "In 1990 Joan S. Guilford prepared an unreliable account of George Allen which ascribed to him 15 children, some of whom were actually his grandchildren & others of whom were not related at all."

What's interesting here is that "you would think" this was a well defined genealogy, not much new to discover: maybe pushing back into England via DNA studies; and understandable confusion with a common surname.

Anderson though is 2005 I think, and that fabulous paper is April, 2014. So just in the last 10 years there have been great strides made with new studies.

It is very interesting.

....I find researching the grave web site useful also for confirming dates and relationships, btw, because people are posting source material there, and also often post photos of the actual gravestones, which include other info about relationships in he family.

findagrave.com

The volunteers there are wonderful & do a great job. I find though I need to be careful with certain areas. If they quote the Great Migration project, it's usually good data. If it's local & more recent, it's usually good. But I've seen some big errors. My favorite (?) was with a New Amsterdam settler -- repeating an impossible origin legend from a discredited 1890s era book.

So as always - double & triple check.

Showing 31-60 of 125 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion