Presidents of the United States

Started by Jerome F. Weber on Sunday, July 20, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 320 posts
7/20/2014 at 7:03 AM

At least 38 presidents of the United States and 14 royal houses of Europe are descended from Hugh Capet, king of France from 987 to 996, and his son Robert II “the Pious,” king of France from 996 to 1031. They in turn are descended from Charlemagne, king of the Franks from 768 to 814 and Emperor of the West from 800, and from King Clovis, the first Christian king of the Franks from 481 to 511.

The current or most recent members of the royal houses of Austria (Habsburg), Italy (Savoy), Belgium, Bulgaria, Spain (Bourbon), the United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Germany (Hohenzollern), the Netherlands, Russia (Romanov), Yugoslavia, Romania and Norway are descended from Jean II Lhuillier (1357-1455), the third great-grandson of Thibaud II, count of Bar, son of Henry II count of Bar (1180-1239), whose wife Philippa was the daughter of Robert II count of Dreux, son of Robert I count of Dreux, son of Louis VI king of France.

Eleven presidents—James K. Polk, Millard Fillmore, Rutherford B. Hayes, James Garfield, William McKinley, Woodrow Wilson, Warren Harding, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter—are also descended from Thibaud II count of Bar, son of Henry II count of Bar, great-grandson of Louis VI.

Thirteen presidents—James Madison, John Quincy Adams (through his mother), Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison, James Buchanan, Franklin Pierce, Andrew Johnson, William Howard Taft, Chester Alan Arthur, Benjamin Harrison, Calvin Coolidge, Gerald Ford and George W. Bush (through his mother)—are descended from Guillaume III of Hainaut count of Holland, son of Philippa of Luxembourg, daughter of Marguerite of Bar countess of Longwy/Luxembourg, daughter of Henry II count of Bar, great-grandson of Louis VI.

Four presidents—Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt and George H. W. Bush—are descended from Alice, daughter of Robert I count of Dreux, son of Louis VI.

Two presidents—Zachary Taylor and Lyndon B. Johnson—are descended from Alix, another daughter of Robert I count of Dreux, son of Louis VI.

Ronald Reagan is descended from Louis VII king of France, son of Louis VI. Louis VI is the son of Philip I, son of Henry I, son of Robert II “the Pious,” son of Hugh Capet (kings of France).

Martin Van Buren is descended from Robert I count of Flanders, son of Baldwin V count of Flanders and his wife Adele, daughter of Robert II “the Pious,” son of Hugh Capet.

Three presidents—George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and William J. Clinton—are descended from Elizabeth, daughter of Edward I king of England from 1272 to 1307. Three presidents—Thomas Jefferson, Grover Cleveland and Herbert Hoover—are descended from Elizabeth, first Duchess of Norfolk, great-granddaughter of Edward’s brother, Edmund Crouchback, first Earl of Lancaster. Edward I and Edmund are fourth great-grandsons of William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda, daughter of Baldwin V and his wife Adele, daughter of Robert II “the Pious,” son of Hugh Capet.

Five more presidents remain to be accounted for. Dwight Eisenhower is descended from Charlemagne through Pepin Carloman, Bernard king of Italy, Pepin II and Herbert I count of Vermandois (a great-grandfather of Hugh Capet), then through the counts of Flanders. James Monroe, John Tyler and Barack Obama are descended from medieval nobility. John Adams seems to be descended only from English commoners, though his wife Abigail shared descent with the second group of 13 presidents above.

The relationships are undoubtedly much closer in many instances, but these are the lines that can be traced on the geni.com family tree.

7/20/2014 at 4:24 PM

And I think you probably will have a hard time proving that every link is correct. But then again, I'm just a genealogist that live by the principle that if I claim there is a link between two persons, I have to prove it with good sources, and if not the link isn't true.

7/20/2014 at 6:16 PM

Remi

This happens to be well studied and documented territory.

http://www.americanancestors.org/notable-kin/

Gary Boyd and other very well respected genealogists have been documenting and validating these lines and publishing their results for many years now.

There can be errors in Geni of course but by following the known pedigrees those errors can be easily corrected by members pointing it out and looking up what the correct connection is for us.

A teenager, a few years ago, documented how all the presidents are related to each other (except Martin van Buren of Dutch descent).

There are only a few thousand "known pedigree" early arrivers to Colonial America, but if you connect to one, you connect to all.

7/20/2014 at 6:20 PM

Here is a bit more explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_descent

"According to American genealogist Gary Boyd Roberts, an expert on royal descent, most Americans with significant New England Yankee, Mid-Atlantic Quaker, or Southern planter ancestry are descended from medieval kings, especially those of England, Scotland, and France. William Addams Reitwiesner documented many U.S. descendants of Renaissance and modern monarchs. Some Americans may have royal descents through German immigrants who had an illegitimate descent from German royalty.[10] ... "

So actually I have all "strands" noted. No wonder I'm connected! :)

7/21/2014 at 6:23 AM

Remi, Your skepticism is legitimate enough, but your desire that every claim be proven is fuly carried out in this discussion, as Erica's teenage researcher indicated. I see two issues that remain. I can offer geni's ascent from Martin Van Buren to Hugh Capet, through the counts of Flanders. I cannot find a good ascent from John Adams because for me geni always relates him to his wife.

I might add to Gary Boyd Roberts's observation that numerous Americans descend from the original French Canadians, who include several with royal blood, including Catherine Miville (Baillon) and Xainte Dupont, the wife of Zacharie Cloutier, II.

7/21/2014 at 4:56 PM

"Some Americans may have royal descents through German immigrants who had an illegitimate descent from German royalty."

I would replace the word "may" with the word "do". ;)

Some Americans do have royal descents through German immigrants who had an illegitimate descent from German royalty.

7/22/2014 at 12:22 AM

The Teenager (BridgeAnne deAvignon) did actually proven,that all of The Presidents of the United States are related through Bad King John Plantagenet, except for Martin Van Buren, who though through (i think, Stephan I of Scottland) DOES connect to the royal Houses and Royal cousins, again. And does make them all related... Just not all through King John.
(*Note: her revolutionary "Angle" which proven what none had proven before, was to research the maternal lines! Little suffragette!

And she (BridgeAnne) is:

a. A very advanced (Gifted) teenager, who was already participating in university programs in California at the age of 13. (Info from October 2010)

b. Was working hand and hand with her 80 year old Grandfather, who (a retired Genealogist himself) had "Specialized" in the Presidential Branches, for some 60 years....

;-)

love in the round!!!

xoxoxoRenée

7/22/2014 at 12:59 PM
7/22/2014 at 1:01 PM

John Adams is my 3rd cousin 9x removed John Quincy Adams 4th cousin... etc., too... I have multiple paths, to them, too.

7/22/2014 at 1:38 PM

I think it's sometimes hard for European genealogists to understand the historical accident(s) that make it more likely Americans with colonial ancestry will be able prove "every link" back to Hugh Capet (or Charlemagne or William the Conqueror) than their European counterparts.

The main, underlying reason is that in most parts of Europe it is very difficult to bridge the gap between the period say 1750 back to 1600. But, in many parts of America this period is easy.

Add to that, a smaller population in colonial America. A huge number of modern descendants swarming the records for every possible clue. And, middle class genealogy is older in America than in Europe (originally for nationalist and racist reasons, unfortunately).

Finally, it's the social mobility of the English compared to more class-stratified countries that spread the royal genes down the social scale from English royalty to many simple gentry families. In particular, the descendants of Edward I and Edward III left more descendants among the English nobility than in other countries -- to the point that Edward III has been dubbed "the Father of the Middle Class English". Then, there is the even greater social mobility of those gentry descendants in America.

The end result in America is that provable royal descents are "a dime a dozen".

7/22/2014 at 2:12 PM

Renee's post (3:59 p.m.) claims a relationship to John Adams that is no more than a relationship to his wife. Abigail Adams shares the same royal lineage as 24 presidents (including, of course, her son, J. Q. Adams). In the ladder-climbing I have done, geni demonstrates the lineage of at least 38 presidents not to King John Lackland but to Hugh Capet. The famous lineage to King John is through John of Gaunt's many ...... I won't use the word ;-)

7/22/2014 at 2:55 PM

As, I tried to explain, in my posts... I have the other Paths... that is just the one, Geni is putting out "today"... so, to speak... (and the dumb SHARE link, only goes to whichever relationship, was just happening and not the relationship that one had saved the link, for...

And it´s for these types of technical variations and these angles of discussions, why I began saving my various path´s to an email account.

And since MOST of these old colonial families, had some ties to "the old country"... and often were friendly- families... for many generations... as often, cousins of some sort, with invested common family interests at stake... Their branches are (as I´ve come to experience, through my own personal research) extremely intertwined/interwoven... and therefore, one can have multiple paths, to the same individuals.)

GENI however, only locates ONE PATH at a time and that PATH often depends on, on which profiles/branches... one was most recently "connected" to... and does NOT depend on whether it´s the closest relationship or not... (unfortunately).
*a pretty cool way to still be able to see who all your attached to is the HISTORY LINK project. And a great way to visualize any "generation collapse" in your branches is the Tree Graph which @Jeff Gentes has developed.

So, here are a couple of my OTHER John Adams paths.

Thank you

xoxoxoRenée

John Adams, 2nd President of the USA, Signer of the Declaration of Independence is your third cousin 9 times removed.

You → Linda Sue Cox your mother → Gladys Mae Lockwood Tyler (Kelley) her mother → Vivian Lucille Kelley/Payne/Smith (Cromer) her mother →Floyd Francis Cromer her father → Elizabeth Ann Cromer (Grosvenor) his mother → Hiram Grosvenor her father → Nathan Grosvenor his father → Richard Grosvenor his father→ Leicester Grosvenor, Jr. PVT his father → Rebecca Grosvenor (Waldo) his mother → Susanna Waldo (Adams) her mother → Capt. Samuel Adams her father →Joseph Adams Sr his brother → Joseph Adams Jr his son → Deacon John Adams, Sr. his son →John Adams, 2nd President of the USA, Signer of the Declaration of Independence his son

John Adams, 2nd President of the USA, Signer of the Declaration of Independence is your fourth cousin 8 times removed.

You → Linda Sue Cox your mother → Gladys Mae Lockwood Tyler (Kelley) her mother → Vivian Lucille Kelley/Payne/Smith (Cromer) her mother →Floyd Francis Cromer her father → Elizabeth Ann Cromer (Grosvenor) his mother → Hiram Grosvenor her father → Nathan Grosvenor his father → Richard Grosvenor his father→ Leicester Grosvenor, Jr. PVT his father → Rebecca Grosvenor (Waldo) his mother → Daniel Waldo her father → Hannah Waldo (Cogswell) his mother →William Cogswell her brother → Susannah White (Cogswell) his daughter → Ann Boylston (White) her daughter → Susanna Adams (Boylston) her daughter →John Adams, 2nd President of the USA, Signer of the Declaration of Independence her son

7/22/2014 at 3:01 PM

and yes... I have many paths indicating, that I am also, multiply related to many of their First Ladies and Vice Presidents of the USA,
as well as being a gggggggggggggreat granddaughter, to Royal Houses of Armenia, Syria, Israel, Palestine, Sweden, Holland, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, Bohemia and more... I have "saved" most of these paths, as well, at some point... just in case.

7/22/2014 at 3:10 PM

Of course, the Capet line is more prestigious and that´s a really GREAT List you´ve put together there, Mr. Weber.

But I found it simply, quite interesting to be able to SEE the result of her/their work, so, I actually bought, BridgeAnn´s
"All of The President´s Cousins" Chart, showing (Around Barack Obama) how they all go back to King John Plantagenet.

If one is curious, how that goes down and sideways and back up again... hahaha! I would suggest aquiring a copy of the poster. (not expensive@all)
And one can also, INSTANTLY download some of her other relationship booklets, with the lists of ancestors, to some more of the President´s as well. from www.weareallrelated.com ;-) (I´ve subsequently purchased the Mitt Romney and Barack Relationship booklet and one other... since.)

Since, their work is, of course, copyrighted... I have, of course, refrained from uploading any of it´s images, to Geni.

xoxoxoRenée

7/22/2014 at 3:36 PM

Surprise; my brazilian grandmother Ophelia de Medeiros Correa was
related to ALL 44 US Presidents,

1- George Washington, 1st President of the USA, is your 15th cousin five times removed George Washington, 1st President of the United States
2 - John Adams, 2nd President of the USA, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, is your 17th cousin four times removed John Adams, 2nd President of the USA
3 -Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States of Americ,a is your 15th cousin five times removed Katherine Neville, Duchess of Norfolk
4 - James Madison, 4th President of the USA, is your 14th cousin 7 times removed James Madison, 4th President of the United States
5 - James Monroe, 5th President of the USA, is your 14th cousin 6 times removed James Monroe, 5th President of the USA
6 - John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin thrice removed Hon. John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the United States
7 - Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the USA, is your 15thcousin five times removed Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the USA
9 - William Henry Harrison, 9th President of the United States, is your 16th cousin four times removed William Henry Harrison, Sr., 9th president of the USA
10 - John Tyler, 10th Pres. of the USA, is your 18th cousin five times removed John Tyler, 10th President of the United States
11 - James K. Polk, 11th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed James K. Polk, 11th President of the USA
12 - Zachary S. Taylor, 12th President of the USA, is your 16th cousin four times removed Zachary Taylor, 12th President of the United States
13 - Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the USA, is your 17th cousin thrice removed Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States
15 - James Buchanan, 15th President of the USA, is your 14th cousin 6 times removed James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States
16 - Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the USA
18 - Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States, is your 16th cousin four times removed Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States
19 - Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States 20 - James A. Garfield, 20th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed James A. Garfield, 20th President of the United States 21 - Chester A. Arthur, 21st President of the USA, is your 17th cousin thrice removed Chester A. Arthur, 21st President of the United States
22 – Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the United States
25 - William McKinley, 25th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin William McKinley, 25th President of the USA William McKinley, 25th President of the USA?through=6000000001440412584
26 - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th President of the USA is your 17th cousin Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th President of the USA
27 - William H. Taft, 27th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed William Howard Taft, 27th President and 10th Chief Justice of the USA
28 - Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States is your 18th cousin twice removed Thomas Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States 30 - Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the USA, is you 18th cousin thrice removed Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the USA
31 - Herbert C. Hoover, 31st President of the USA, is your 20th cousin Herbert C. Hoover, 31st President of the USA 32 - Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed's 1shusbandt husband Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the USA 33 - Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the USA 34 - Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin thrice removed's husband's grandfather Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States 35 - John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin twice removed John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the USA
37 - Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States, is your 20th cousin twice removed Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States
38 - Gerald Ford, Jr., 38th President of the United States is your 19th cousin once removed Gerald Ford, 38th President of the United States
39 - James E. "Jimmy" Carter, 39th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States
40 - Ronald W. Reagan, 40th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin once removed's late husband Ronald W. Reagan, 40th President of the USA
41 - George Herbert Walker Bush, 41st President of the USA, is your 20th cousin George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the USA
42 - William J. Clinton, 42nd President of the USA, is your 19th cousin twice removed's husband
William J. Clinton, 42nd President of the USA
43 - George W. Bush, 43rd President Of the United States, is your 20th cousin once removed George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States
44 - Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin twice removed Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA

7/22/2014 at 3:49 PM

My Pierto Rican Grandmother, is also CORREA!! lol!!!

Truly a small World! I´ve had no luck attaining the 1983 family tree, that my mother had contracted back then... (as she simply, can´t remember in which basement or storage place, she´s put it...)

But it was stated therein, that my Grandmother was the 8th Great Granddaughter of Captain Correa of Arecibo, Puerto Rico Fame.

This Gentleman:
Capitán Antonio de los Reyes Correa Colón

7/22/2014 at 3:50 PM

And BridgeAnne has confirmed in emails with me personally, that I am also, related to all of the US Presidents. ;-) So, we´re TRUE COUSINS, Mr. Weber!
:-*

7/22/2014 at 3:57 PM

Ulyses Grant, is an 8th cousin.
George Washinton a 7th and 9th cousin
Lincoln a 7th and 9th and 12th cousin
You have my Adams lines...
Jimmy Carter 7th cousin like 3x removed.
Bush´s are also, in there... in my Whitney/Hinkley/Freeman lines...
Hillary and Bill are related somewhere´s around 13th and 9th cousins
Barack is an 11th cousin 1 or 2x removed.
Kennedy 14th cousin.
etc.
I have saved the paths, but I will spare you, of their lengthiness.

And all of my relationships, so far, are exclusively, through my Maternal branches, as my paternal ones... have YET to get connected. hahaha! *can´t wait to see what turns up, when THAT finally happens. :-D

:-D

7/22/2014 at 4:00 PM

Oh, I just saw... the last post before mine, was NOT Mr. Weber! (aaahhh!)
(no offence, please, anyone... especially, not Mr. Weber.)

Sorry, Deisi Vaz Pinto, then WE are the TRUE TRUE cousins! lol!

xoxoxoxRenée

Private User
7/22/2014 at 8:03 PM

Well, according to geni, Hugh Capet, king of France from 987 to 996, aka .Hugues "the Great", duke of the Franks is my 30th great grandfather. So that means I am related to at least 38 presidents of the United States and 14 royal houses of Europe. And Charlemagne is my 34th great-grandfather.

7/22/2014 at 8:31 PM

Nice to make your acquaintance, Cousin, Ann Elizabeth!!! :-) <3

7/22/2014 at 9:00 PM

Hugues, roi des Francs (c.940-996)- Prasville

Hugues Capet, roi des Francs is your 27th great grandfather.

Me → Linda Sue Cox my mother → Gladys Mae Lockwood Tyler (Kelley) her mother → Vivian Lucille Kelley/Payne/alias- Smith (Cromer) her mother → Floyd Francis Cromer her father → Elizabeth Ann Cromer (Grosvenor) his mother → Hiram Grosvenor her father → Nathan Grosvenor his father → Richard Grosvenor his father → Leicester Grosvenor, Jr., Capt. his father → Leicester Grosvenor, Sr. Capt. his father → Esther Grosvenor (Clarke), (twin) his mother → Hugh Clarke (immigrant) her father → Mary Hobart his mother → Thomas Hobart, of Plumstead her father → Miles Hubbard his father → Rt. Hon. Sir James Hobart his father → Thomas (1410) Hobart, "of Leyham" his father → John Hobart his father → Allinor Ellyn Hobart or Hubbard his mother → Sir John Taylor - Knight to King Edward III her father → Hanger Taylefer (Taylifer) his father → William Taillefer his father → Alice de Courtenay his mother → Pierre I de France, seigneur de Courtenay her father → Louis VI le Gros, roi de France his father → Philippe I, roi de France his father → Henri I, roi de France his father → Robert II le Pieux, roi des Francs his father → Hugues Capet, roi des Francs his father

Hugues Capet, roi des Francs

Yuppers! Great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great Granddaddy! :-D

Private User
7/22/2014 at 9:27 PM

:-) greetings cousin! from across the world...

7/23/2014 at 8:41 AM

Anne, please don't confuse Hugues Capet king of France with his father, Hugues the Great duke of the Franks.

Deisi, there are only 43 presidents (note Cleveland, 22/24). Did you notice that your list is lacking 8, 14, 17, 23, 29 and 36?

Since Martin Van Buren is one of the more difficult presidents, sometimes cited as an exception to anyone's list of presidential cousins, I'd like to post this royal ascent (not the one I used in my original post above) that was just discovered by one of our Curators and sent to me to share:

Martin Van Buren > Maria Van Buren > Jannetje Laurense Van Schaick > Laurens Van Schaick > Jannetje Cornelis Van Egmond > Claes Cornelise Van Egmond > Cornelis Segerse van Egmond > Cornelius Segerse van Egmond > Seger van Egmond > Lamoraal I, 4th count van Egmond > Francoise van Luxemburg Fiennes > Marguerite van Brugge > Marie d'Auxy > Jean IV d'Auxy > David seigneur d'Auxy > Jean III seigneur d'Auxy > Jean II seigneur d'Auxy > Jean I d'Auxy > Philippe seigneur d'Auxy > Hugues IV seigneur d'Auxy > Eleanore de Vermandois > Raoul I comte de Vermandois > Hugues Magnus comte de Vermandois > Henri I king of France > Robert II "the Pious" > Hugues Capet

I'd like to point out that the most celebrated of his ancestors is Lamoraal, 4th count of Egmond (1522-68), a martyr to the cause of Dutch independence, beheaded by the Duke of Alba in the Grand Place in Brussels. Spelled Egmont, he is the hero of a play by Goethe for which Beethoven supplied incidental music (the overture remains popular).

7/23/2014 at 4:47 PM

Jerome, I don't have a problem with most or all american presidents are descendants of an European royal house. What I have a problem with, though, is the claims that goes beyond Charlemagne in time. But I haven't checked these lines at all, just using my experience as a genealogist, and I know how hard it is to get beyond 1350 in Europe, and then claiming ancestry back to year 481 is in my view nearly impossible. I still don't believe every link is proven back to 481.

7/23/2014 at 5:09 PM

Thanks Jerome. Here you are: Presidents of the USA
1- George Washington, 1st President of the USA, is your 15th cousin five times removed    George Washington, 1st President of the United States    2 - John Adams, 2nd President of the USA, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, is your 17th cousin four times removed John Adams, 2nd President of the USA 3 - Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States of America is your 15th cousin five times removed  Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States of America 4 - James Madison, 4th President of the USA is your 14th cousin 7 times removed  
James Madison, 4th President of the United States 5 - James Monroe, 5th President of the USA, is your 14th cousin 6 times removed James Monroe, 5th President of the USA 6 - John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin thrice removed Hon. John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the United States 7 - Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the USA is your 15th cousin five times removed   
Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the USA 8 - Martin Van Buren, 8th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin thrice removed Martin Van Buren, 8th President of the USA 9 - William Henry Harrison, 9th President of the United States, is your 16th cousin four times removed William Henry Harrison, Sr., 9th president of the USA
10 - John Tyler, 10th Pres. of the USA, is your 18th cousin five times removed John Tyler, 10th President of the United States
11 - James K. Polk, 11th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed James K. Polk, 11th President of the USA
12 - Zachary S. Taylor, 12th President of the USA, is your 16th cousin four times removed Zachary Taylor, 12th President of the United States
13 - Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the USA, is your 17th cousin thrice removed Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States
14 - Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the USA, is your 15th cousin five times removed Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States
15 - James Buchanan, 15th President of the USA, is your 14th cousin 6 times removed James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States
16 - Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the USA is your 18th cousin twice removed's 1st husband   Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the USA 17 - Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the USA, is your 16th cousin four times removed Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the United States 18 - Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States, is your 16th cousin four times removed Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States 19 - Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States 20 - James A. Garfield, 20th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed James A. Garfield, 20th President of the United States 21 - Chester A. Arthur, 21st President of the USA, is your 17th cousin thrice removed Chester A. Arthur, 21st President of the United States 22 – Grover Cleveland, 22nd President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the United States 23 - Benjamin Harrison, 23rd President of the USA. is your 16th cousin four times removed Benjamin Harrison, 23rd President of the USA 24 - Grover Cleveland, 24th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the United States 25 - William McKinley, 25th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed's 1st husband William McKinley, 25th President of the USA 26 - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th President of the USA, is your 17th cousin Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th President of the USA 27 - William H. Taft, 27th President of the USA, is your 18th cousin twice removed William Howard Taft, 27th President and 10th Chief Justice of the USA 28 - Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States is your 17th cousin thrice removed's 2nd husband  Thomas Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States 29 - Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the USA 30 - Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the USA is your 18th cousin thrice removed    Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the USA 31 - Herbert C. Hoover, 31st President of the USA, is your 20th cousin Herbert C. Hoover, 31st President of the USA 32 - Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the USA is your 19th cousin once removed's 1st husband  Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the USA 33 - Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the USA is your 18th cousin twice removed Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the USA 34 - Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin thrice removed's husband's grandfather Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States 35 - John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin twice removed   John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the USA 36 - Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th President of the United States, is your 20th cousin Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th President of the United States 37 - Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States, is your 20th cousin twice removed Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States 38 - Gerald Ford, Jr., 38th President of the United States, is your 19th cousin once removed     Gerald Ford, 38th President of the United States 39 - James E. "Jimmy" Carter, 39th President of the USA, is your 19th cousin once removed Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States 40 - Ronald W. Reagan, 40th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin once removed's late husband Ronald W. Reagan, 40th President of the USA 41 - George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the USA is your 20th cousin George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the USA
42 - William J. Clinton, 42nd President of the USA is your 19th cousin twice removed's husband  William J. Clinton, 42nd President of the USA
43 - George W. Bush, 43rd President Of the United States is your 20th cousin once removed    George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States
44 - Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA, is your 20th cousin twice removed Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA

7/23/2014 at 5:18 PM

Remi, the claim here was descent from Hugh Capet. When someone connects to the English royal family, they get the Capetians too. The Capetian descents from the Carolingians is very well documented. The Carolingian descent from the Merovingians is highly probable, although not without quibbling over some of the details.

I think you're right to remind people that the further back they go, the shakier the claims. I do, however, think it's more helpful to focus the effort on links that are more clearly problematic.

Private User
7/23/2014 at 6:39 PM

Still. Jerome, if I am descended from Hugues Capet king of France I must also be descended from his father, Hugues the Great duke of the Franks, no? And therefore the presidents you mention are relatives, no? ;-) .

7/23/2014 at 8:24 PM

I just bought a poster of the U.S. Presidents family tree from wearerelated.com. You may have seen stories on the web or other news sources about the girl and her genealogist grandfather who found that all US Presidents, with the exception of Marten Van Buren, are descended from King John "Lackland", the Bad Prince John of the Robin Hood stories. Van Buren is nonetheless not entirely out in the cold--he is related to the Roosevelts and the Princes of Orange, possibly through Ann Van Buren, the wife of William the Silent.

I had lineages connecting me to most of the POTUS clan before this but now I have additional connections through King John, some of them shorter than my own finds in various sources.

Presidents seem to be roughly 8th to 10th cousins. Other people with numerous Presidential lineages have found this to be so. As a Canadian I am only slightly handicapped because a very large number of my ancestors are pre-Loyalists, Loyalists, post-Loyalists, ex-Loyalists and so forth--my family tree is very American as the border was wide open until recently.

My French Canadian Quarter is not useless, however, because should Hillary Rodham Clinton become President I will already have her through several early French Canadian ancestors.

Canadian celebrities such as Prime Ministers and the Monstrous Regiment of successful Canadian women (Madonna, Clinton, the Duchess of Cornwall, Céline Dion, Angelina Jolie, etc) come in around 6th to 8th cousins it seems. I suspect generations are longer in French Canada.

My most distant President is Jimmy Carter IIRC (a Southerner, while my ancestors are mostly North of New Jersey) at 22nd cousin, some removes, and my closest is possibly Washington. I am descended from a long run of Washingtons starting with my 11th great grandfather and the de Washingtons are related to the Royal Families such as the Plantagents and the Scottish Kings. They were only a knightly family, never great Lords, it seems, but like many English gentry they held on to what they got for centuries without end.

Starting from King John, who is my 21st-23rd great-grandfather, you will come up with relationships like those above, but if you fill out your family tree with early Atlantic coast settlers, you can cut the average distance in half because there is absolutely no need to go through Kings to get to Presidents.

Obama is my 9th cousin twice removed, IIRC. That's with two handicaps: half his family tree is in Africa and half of mine is not Anglo-American or even Anglo-Dutch-American. But his Mother was a Dunham and so is one of my Nth great-grandmothers.

If you want to take a short-cut to Presidential cousins, the poster is about $20.

Having collected all the US Presidents (POTUS) I am now leisurely looking for First Ladies (FLOTUS), the Supremes (SCOTUS), and VPs. These should be more of a challenge to find since there is much greater ethnic diversity among the Justices and the First Ladies can not easily form dynasties like the Bushes or Adams. Also, nobody remembers the also-rans.

Bad Prince John is a notable gateway ancestor because he was a randy lad and had eight wives and concubines at least. He probably would have gotten Maid Marian without Robin Hood on the job.

"Prince John was not a good man--
He had his little ways," -- A.A. Milne

7/23/2014 at 8:25 PM

Or was it Agnes? I didn't look to confirm the Lady's name. Tsk.

Showing 1-30 of 320 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion