Started by Private User on Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 23 posts
Private User
10/22/2014 at 4:25 PM

According to research posted at Familytreedna and charted at http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/plummer/results, the Plummer families in the United States fall into roughly four groups (with some isolated outliers).

* The largest group, R1b1a2, includes but is not limited to the descendants of Francis Plummer, of Newbury. (R1b1a2 is very common across western Europe and occurs in multiple variants - which is one reason among many that Familytreedna is switching over to the SNP system.)

* The "Pennsylvania Plummer" line Elizabeth Plummer surprised everybody - they belong to haplogroup R1a1a, and nobody knew they were a separate grouping until some descendants got Y-DNA tested.

* The Anne Arundel line Thomas Plummer, of Anne Arundel - barring an embarrassing genetic "Oops" such as the one that upset the Bourbon applecart recently - *should* all belong to haplogroup G, with one representative deep-tested to G2a3b1. If these results hold up, they *cannot* be related to the Massachusetts Plummers or to any of the other groups. *And none of the others are related to them.* (This line has had intrusions from haplotype R, due to people wanting to claim descent from them.)

* The "Kemp Plummer" line William Thomas Plummer of southeastern Virginia and North Carolina is different again - they tested I2b2.

Outliers include one I1, two J2s, and an I2a2b who is generally thought to have been an adoptee.

Detailed Y-DNA chart here: http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/plummer/results?raw=1

Private User
10/26/2014 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for sharing that information. No one in my family has been tested, but I'm pretty sure we belong to the Kemp/Plummer branch of the tree. There was a Plummer family here in Cole Co., MO in the 1800s that I traced back to the Anne Arundel line. Don't know what happened to them later.

Private User
10/26/2014 at 1:14 PM

There's always the chance that some researcher connected A to C instead of to B - happens a lot, usually with good intentions. Then there's adoptions, stepchildren, and other types of uncertain paternity. The discontinuities only show up glaringly when the base line is a rare type - as with the Anne Arundel group. (The Massachusetts group is much harder to sort out - they're a very common base type and one that's difficult to distinguish among the various subtypes without expensive deep-testing.)

The "Kemp Plummer" type is fairly rare also.

Private User
10/26/2014 at 2:16 PM

There is a known discontinuity somewhere on the line of descent from Thomas Plummer III - probably in the vicinity of Rev Joseph Plummer. A male-line descendant tested R1b1a2.

Another known discontinuity occurs in the line from Abiezer Plummer: Levi Plummer, Sr. had two wives, and descendants of two sons, one from each wife, tested R1b1a2. This indicates a very high likelihood that Levi, or his father, did not belong to the Anne Arundel line.

Private User
10/27/2014 at 7:40 AM

That is amazing! I need to talk my brothers into getting tested.

Private User
2/21/2015 at 2:44 PM

Frankly, Debbie, that's impossible. We have a very good idea when Elizabeth Stockett/Yates was born - she was the last (or posthumous) child of Capt. Thomas Stockett, *or* possibly the first child of George Yates (Yeats, Yate, etc.). In other words, very tightly between 1670 and 1672. She *could not* have had a son who was born two to four years before she was.

Thomas Plummer I m. Elizabeth Smith.
Thomas Plummer II m. Elizabeth Stockett/Yate.

Private User
2/22/2015 at 10:01 PM

The "tell" is that Elizabeth Stockett is also known as Elizabeth Yate, and that George Yate regarded her as "his" daughter. If she was born after he married her mother, then legally she *was* his daughter, no matter who her biological father was. And Mary probably remarried as soon as she possibly could - she had a bunch of young children plus one on the way, and she HAD to have a man to take responsibility for them all. That was how it worked back then.

Private User
2/22/2015 at 10:18 PM

I'm afraid there isn't much information available on Elizabeth Smith, plus it's THE commonest English name ever. It's possible to make a rough guess at her birth date based on the ages of her children and on what we know of human biology.

She had them all between c. 1665 and c. 1680 (birth dates are not always available), so she was probably born c. 1645 give or take a few years.

As to death dates, we know she survived her husband (Thomas Plummer I) because she was mentioned in his will. That puts it to "after 1694", and there's some agreement on "c. 1706".

Private User
2/22/2015 at 10:21 PM

As to what difference it makes - people descended from Thomas Plummer I but not Thomas Plummer II don't get to share in Mary Wells Stockett Yate's ancestry (her mother was the notorious Frances White Wells, reputedly of noble/royal descent).

Private User
2/22/2015 at 10:21 PM

That, incidentally, includes me.

Private User
2/23/2015 at 4:30 PM

Maven, I agree with you, and follow this set of Plummers closely, even though I'm related to the Plummers from Gloucester.

5/16/2015 at 11:18 PM

Hi there,

I'm Elizabeth Harrison, my grandmother is Bertha Elizabeth Plummer, her father is George W Plummer, mother Matilda Tucker...I am new to this and it's all very confusing. I think I'm related to Thomas and Elizabeth Stockett. but not sure.

Private User
5/17/2015 at 1:22 PM

The easiest way to find our which Plummer tree you belong in is with DNA. All three branches of the Plummer family tree have been tested. You can see the resulted at the Plummer DNA project. The Plummer family is very confusing because there were Plummer with the same name and about the same ages living in both Gloucester and Anne Arundel at the same time. If you have any questions, ask Maven B. Helms. She is the resident expert on the Plummer family.

5/17/2015 at 3:36 PM

Hello, Elizabeth Harrison; welcome to Geni.

If you would continue to add the family profiles that you *do* know onto Geni, it may help to become a bit more obvious just how you are connected into the Plummer/Stockett families. As you add them, both keep an eye on the Tree View *and* use Google to search for existing Geni profiles before you a one for an ancestor you can 'connect' into. (note: add the string "site:geni.com" to the name & dates of ancestors to seek them solely on Geni).

Private User
5/24/2015 at 2:00 PM

I think it is better to test the male line. Do you have brothers, or uncles? I

5/25/2015 at 4:46 PM

i have two brothers, both uncles are gone, but my dads still alive.Where do you get the test?

Private User
5/25/2015 at 9:04 PM

Best place is familytreedna.com - ask about the Plummer project. http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/plummer/order

Fair warning, though: unless your male relatives *are* Plummers (that is, they have or had that surname), you may not find out any more than just generically "related".

A good place for satisfying more general curiosity is 23andme.com, which can tell you oddball things like percentage of Neanderthal ancestry (most people of European ancestry average 2-4%) and so forth. https://www.23andme.com/ancestry/

I got my partner tested (through 23ndme) because he's a direct-line Rhode Island Ross and I had hopes of finding a transatlantic connection that way. Turns out he's I-M223, which probably indicates a Viking in the woodshed (figures, they got everywhere in the 8th-11th centuries).

Private User
5/27/2015 at 2:13 PM

Here's Josiah Martin Plummer, b.1851Keokuk IA : Josiah Martin Plummer

I don't think this line has been tested, so it would be nice to know if the descent is true or if there's an "oops" in it somewhere.

Private User
5/27/2015 at 2:30 PM

As for test length, I don't think very many Plummers, if any, have gone over 67 yet, so more than that would be too much.

I wouldn't go for less than 37, as you might not get the exact Y-DNA haplogroup (it's a tricky one). If you want a second opinion, ask Justin Durand - he's G2a and involved in research into that haplogroup specifically.

5/29/2015 at 4:25 PM

Yes thats My Josiah, my sister entered that from my info. One of her husbands cousins, does genealogy, and entered us.

5/29/2015 at 4:52 PM

It would be very cool to get a test from Josiah's line. Either 37 or 67 would be great.

9/1/2015 at 1:50 PM

Hi All, Well i finally got my dads test back. for my grandpa Josiah. And I got R-M512 so we don't fit in anywhere. I know his dad was William born 1821 Kentucky. his dad was William born 1796 Kentucky. His father was Hezekiah lived in Mason Co. Kentucky 1800 died in 1830 Ross Co ohio, I have the will. So i don't know where Hezkiah came from. Thank you, Debbie Cummngs

Private User
9/1/2015 at 5:10 PM

Debbie, R-M512 falls under "R1a1a" old style, so you might be related to the Pennsylvania Plummers. (The Plummer Project at Familytreedna.com has not updated its information to SNP groupings yet.)

This sort of agrees with the (erroneous) assumption that they were an offshoot of the Maryland Plummers - until some descendants got tested and "Oops, no match at all, and wheretheheck did that R1a1a come from?".

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion