Curators: My profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Mike Stangel on Friday, November 7, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 151-180 of 1359 posts

Joseph Eddie Seay,

I don't see a complete profile to be able to MP it.

Why do you want to have the profile made into a Master Profile?

Kevin

besoin dun/e Curateur Fort
need a Very Strong Curator for those profiles MP :p

Paul Baillargeon
Lionel Baillargeon
Adrien Baillargeon
Charles Baillargeon
Jean Baillargeon
Antonio Baillargeon

+video

martin

Robert Everitt is MP'd; note there are SmartMatches which claim to identify his parents.

Thomas, the person must be dead in order for us to MP it.
Thanks, Myrna

Private User,

Not always true. I have been asked and have MP'd living people. One of my cousins, Howie Mandel is clearly alive and has been MP'd by me.

Kevin

Of course we can MP profiles of living people, - that is the only way we can have a public profile of a living person.

The only difference to deceased profiles is that a manager have to approve making the profile into a Master Profile, and we curators have a specific request for that in the Actions▼ menu of private profiles.

The criteria for most curators is that the profiles is of high quality and is public elsewhere, like on Wikipedia.

It can be done by going into 'Actions' of the profile and clicking on 'Make Master Profile', if the Manager of the profile agrees it will be approved.

Thanks everyone for the update on that. I missed that.

I don't think you need manager approval to make a MP. I mean maybe you are supposed to get it as a curator, but the system doesn't stop the profile from being made into a MP based on permission (I just MP'd a few earlier... maybe I wasn't supposed to *runs away).

No approval needed on public profiles (deceased) - the permission request is that you're changing the privacy on a living profile and making it public.

That makes sense Private User. Thank you for the clarification.

I see above, if the Profile is Living, Permission is needed to make it an MP. - https://www.geni.com/discussions/142974?msg=1011509

And I see above that no approval is needed to change a Public Profile (deceased) to MP. https://www.geni.com/discussions/142974?msg=1011819

BUT – what about a Deceased Private Profile? Is permission needed to change that Profile to MP? [ And if it makes a difference how long they have been deceased - approximately what would be the cut-off? Or is there something else which factors into what the answer is?]

re: Deceased Private profiles & MP - It has been my recent experience that if the deceased&private profile is 'close to' (perhaps as defined by family group) a co-manager ... *and* there is no collaboration-link from any of the co-managers to the Curator ... then permission is required (that is, the curator may only be able to Request to make it into a Master Profile).

Erica - I have looked thru the first page that your link points to and see nothing whatsoever that addresses the question. I have also looked at the wiki that it links to and see nothing there that addresses the question. Can you please quote directly the part and/or present a link or more fine-tuned pointer directly to the part of either that addresses (or that you feel addresses) the question? (If you cannot do so - do you know for sure that there even is anything there that addresses the question? And if not - then why did you present the link?)

Dan - Thanks for a partial answer. Re: part of your answer - you say "*and* there is no collaboration-link from any of the co-managers to the Curator " - BUT we have been repeatedly told Collaboration only applies to Public Profiles - so do you or anyone else know - does collaboration with the Manager of a Profile allow a Curator to make a PRIVATE Profile into a Master Profile without any other okay? And if so - WHY?

AND - on Revisions Tab (for a Profile made Public from Private Deceased) - where it says "----'s profile was updated by ----. master / [date] at [ time] view" --- if when you click on that word "view" and get the Revisions Grid, the Grid shows the Profile (which is now a Master Profile) as currently "Privacy Yes" and "Public No" -- Does that indicate a Bug? Or a step the Curator forgot to take? Or??

Lois

I think I need to understand better what your concerns are.

The Master Profile is a service offered to Geni members. With that designation, two profiles cannot be merged together, and data points can be locked into place, thus ensuring data integrity.

An MP "must" be public, hence the work through on living "notables."

I don't think there is any curator interested in making MPs for any other reason than stated very clearly on the Wiki. So ... Please explain your concern.

Sorry I meant two MP's.

So if there are 2 deceased public Lois Lubin's, but they are different, which is confusing, then the MP is a tool to prevent that Mis merge error and offer genealogical clarification.

Okay, Erica, what you are addressing has nothing whatsoever to do with my question.

Anyone who can address my question further, it would be greatly appreciated.

Earlier this month a Person whose Profile I co-manage died, and the Profile was changed from Living to Deceased Private [Living - No; Privacy - Yes; Public - No].

Two days later, it was changed to a Master Profile. I never saw a request to make it a Master Profile, I never saw a News Feed that such a Request had been accepted. Moreover - it shows the situation I MEANT TO SAY above (I said "Public" above, where I meant "Master" - thus possibly making nonsense) -
ie on Revisions Tab (for a Profile made MASTER from Private Deceased) - where it says "----'s profile was updated by [Curator]. master / [date] at [ time] view" --- when you click on that word "view" and get the Revisions Grid, the Grid shows the Profile (which is now a Master Profile) as currently "Privacy Yes" and "Public No" --

This in part sparked my interest in whether a Curator needs to get any permission to make a Private Deceased Profile Public. In this case, the Curator who made the Profile MP is in fact Collaborating with at least one of the Managers - but that still leaves my last two questions above.

Lois

As far as I know collaboration has nothing to do with making MPs.

The scenario Dan referred to would, I think, apply if a deceased profile is deliberately set to private; the attempt to make MP / public would be redirected to a "request to make MP" notification to the profile managers / family group member.

Otherwise there is no request mechanism I am aware of.

- is there a problem with this deceased person being an MP? It's a protection, and it doesn't prevent a manager from working further with the profile or tree. If anything it sets up for future work better, as a new member, building their tree, would understand the MP is "best known data so far" and work with the single profile.

- if there is a reason why there should "not" be an MP, that would, I think, be best addressed privately with the curator.

Erica - YES, the situation I am discussing is, of course, where a Profile was deliberately set to Private - That is the ONLY way now a deceased Profile can be Private. So - My Questions Remain!!

re: "the attempt to make MP / public would be redirected to a "request to make MP" notification to the profile managers / family group member." -
Not quite sure what you are saying here. I never saw ANY request to Make MP nor to Make Public -- NOR, according to the Profile, was it ever made Public.

Please stop telling me what I should do if there is a specific problem with a specific situation. I am trying to discover the General Rules. You have made it very clear in other comments that that is not where your interest lies. Please, please allow other Curators to address my questions.

Lois - your question has been twice answered (I'm backing up Dan's answer). The request to make MP routes to manager's Geni mailboxes for them to accept or reject. There would not be a newsfeed item. Likely it only routes to the "primary" manager on a multi managed profile.

Private User,

Erica is correct in stating that it only routes to the "primary" manager.

Kevin

Mike Stangel - If a Curator wants to Change a Private Deceased Profile to an MP -- above, a Curator states "re: Deceased Private profiles & MP - It has been my recent experience that if the deceased&private profile is 'close to' (perhaps as defined by family group) a co-manager ... *and* there is no collaboration-link from any of the co-managers to the Curator ... then permission is required " ---

Is this correct? And if so, is this then an exception to the Rule that Collaboration only has to do with Public Profiles? Or??

And if/when Permission is required -
1) Does it only go to the Primary Manager?
2) Is it totally up to the Curator whether they ask for permission to make the Private Deceased Profile MP or simply ask to make it Public (knowing they will then immediately make it MP) or ??
3) When the Revision Grid for a Profile changed from Private Deceased to Master (ie MP) shows it as still Private - Yes, Public - No - is this a Bug?

Lois I expect it is up to the curator in that situation as there is no automated request to set a deceased profile from private to public. We do this often when users get a little carried away and start to privatize profiles in the world tree, essentially creating zombies to other users. If the profile was for a celebrity, I could easily see a Curator just making the change if no immediate family members had claimed profiles, since essentially, privacy claims would be invalid.

The Curators currently currently have one or both of two options available to them on a Private, unclaimed profile.

=> Make Master Profile
=> Request to Make Master Profile

The latter seems to appear when the Private profile is within the "Family Group" of a claimed profile (Geni member). Such as, for example, your aunts or uncles. It doesn't seem to matter whether living or deceased.

The first option consistently appears for Deceased Private profiles which are outside of anyone's Family Group.

I have, rarely, seen both options, but I did not take the time to investigate why I was seeing both.

I'm not sure, at this point, about Living Private profiles which are outside of anyone's Family Group and do not have the Curator as a (co-)manager.

Nor do I know if the explicit setting of a profile to "Private" makes any difference as to which option is "made available" to the Curator. It is not something we have control over at this point.

re: "The first option consistently appears for Deceased Private profiles which are outside of anyone's Family Group."

... having written that ... I'm not sure. Usually such 'old' (outside any Family Group) profiles are de-zombified (made Public) before any consideration of adding the MP designation.

Showing 151-180 of 1359 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion