Canute the Great DNA

Started by Justin Durand on Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 267 posts
2/10/2015 at 6:03 PM

Looks like they will try to identify the bones of Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, Norway through DNA. His bones are part of a jumble held at Winchester Cathedral. If they can identify them, it will be because he has the same mtDNA as his sister's son Sweyn II Estridson, King of Denmark.

DNA and the old bones of Cnut the Great
http://www.medievalhistories.com/dna-old-bones-cnut-great/

2/10/2015 at 7:42 PM

Wonder if they will include any other family? Sweyn II profiles as my 30th GGF, but the Curator's notes state that he had no known grown children. The profile gives him 10 children.
Cnut the Great is my 29th GGF, so will be interested to see the results.

2/10/2015 at 11:49 PM

It could be absolutely fascinating. And when the are at it allready they can check the bones under the Church in Jelling to see if it is in fact Gorm " the Old" buried there.
They should be able to match Sweyn II's DNA and see if they are related.

2/15/2015 at 4:06 PM

wow; that is interesting
sweyn 11 is a great grandfathers
and; the father of Cnut
is a 33rd great grandfather
Harald "Blue Tooth", king of Denmark

Private User
2/16/2015 at 7:48 AM

As of from now I am a subscriber of http://www.medievalhistories.com/

Thank's Justin :)

2/16/2015 at 7:51 AM

Yeas so did I! Its a very good page.

Private User
2/16/2015 at 7:56 AM

Hello Annette yes it's very impressive with lots of informations on my favorite subject, the middle ages :)

2/16/2015 at 8:01 AM

As for me to. That is middleage and vikingage

2/16/2015 at 8:53 AM

Anna, you might like "British Medieval History", also...only covers the medieval period. Very active group! They're on Facebook.

I also like Academia.edu, and "History...The Interesting Bits".

Private User
2/17/2015 at 1:18 AM

Thank's Linda - I have been a subscriber to Academia.edu for many years now - I'm going to check out "British Medieval History".

2/17/2015 at 1:31 AM

I think I'll check it out.

2/17/2015 at 2:13 AM

I just had my DNA done and have Scandinavian marker as well as marker For the Charlemagne Dynasty where my family shows my relationship into that line several times. Cool that they're doing this.

Private User
2/17/2015 at 3:39 AM

I see some of your Scandinavians Candance

Candace Kitten Schermerhorn is Ulf Ingvar Göte Martinsson's 18th cousin thrice removed!

http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Candace-Scher...

Åke Pik is my 18th great grandfather.
Candace Kitten Schermerhorn is Åke Pik's 21st great granddaughter.

Åke Pik

2/27/2015 at 3:55 PM

Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, is my 26th g grandfather. I'm waiting for my DNA Test to come back, so this will be interesting.

3/7/2015 at 1:11 AM

I can see some of you get your DNA tested. Where do you do that, and what is the cost ?

3/7/2015 at 7:44 AM

Håvard, there are good discussions about this:

DNA testing - what company?
http://www.geni.com/discussions/112057

Most bang for the DNA buck
http://www.geni.com/discussions/145023

Private User
3/7/2015 at 8:20 AM

Justin Durand

Yes, but WHY would you do it?

3/7/2015 at 8:40 AM

Lots of reasons ;)

Here are a few examples from my research.

One of my great grandmothers was illegitimate. Family tradition said one thing about her father, and I even found evidence in paper records. I had a different theory but I couldn't prove it. Just a few months ago I matched someone else on an autosomal test and proved that my theory was right and family tradition was wrong. It was probably the most spectacular day in my 47 years of doing genealogy.

My father and grandfather had ideas about why our male line shown by records was wrong. They thought we were either Durands or Hamiltons, not Howerys. I matched a very, very distant Howery cousin on a yDNA test and proved that the paper trail is right back to the 1500s.

I'm not sure about the ancestry of my most distant female line ancestor. There are other families in the same area with the same mtDNA. That shows they are probably relatives in the female line. Knowing that we might be looking for a common ancestor in the same period and the same place helps us all focus our research.

There are many stories like these. The basic idea is that people get tested to see what they might find.

Private User
7/15/2015 at 3:10 PM

Linda, we are 13th Cousins and we both are exactly 30th Grandchildren of Canute. It will be interesting if they are actually able to get some DNA.

Private User
7/15/2015 at 3:37 PM

Åke Pik is your 18th great grandfather.

Sweyn II Estridsen Ulfsen of Denmark is your 23rd great grandfather.

Harald "Blåtand" Gormsson is your 26th great grandfather.

Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, Norway is your 25th great uncle.
his father
Svend I Haraldsen «Forkbeard» Tveskæg is your 25th great grandfather.

My DNA are probably to mixed along the way down to me in order to be of any interest.

Private User
7/15/2015 at 4:57 PM

Never say never Ulf because you never know...lol..anyway Forkbeard at 25th Grandparent is much closer than 30th.

7/18/2015 at 9:33 PM

Cnut the Great, king of Denmark, England, Norway is your 31st great grandfather.

7/18/2015 at 9:35 PM

Harald "Blåtand" Gormsson is your 34th great grandfather

7/18/2015 at 9:36 PM

Gorm "den Gamle", dansk konge is your fourth great aunt's 20th great grandfather.

Private User
7/18/2015 at 9:49 PM

Gorm "den Gamle", dansk konge is Ulf Ingvar Göte Martinsson's 27th great grandfather!

http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Gorm-den-Gaml...

Private User
7/18/2015 at 9:51 PM

Eystein Ivarsson «the Noisy» Glumra is Ulf Ingvar Göte Martinsson's 30th great grandfather!

http://www.geni.com/path/Ulf-Martinsson+is+related+to+Eystein-Ivars...

Private User
7/18/2015 at 9:56 PM

Well, this could explain the lust to split someones scull wide open just to see if they had any brain... Thorfinn 'Skull-Splitter', Jarl of Orkney

Private User
7/18/2015 at 10:37 PM

lol Ulf, I don't know what's worse the Blood Eagle or the Skull Splitter but whichever it is these guys are like made for TV or something.

Private User
7/19/2015 at 12:31 AM

They probably were just like "Jason", all the killing raised their dopamine levels so they became high, I see them as ancient drug-addicts.

Imagine that someone from our time, time traveled back to that time, I guess it would be extremely hard to just survive one or a couple of days
wherever you went, like being in the midst of the psychopath's paradise.

Either they would see you as weak, then not worth to be living, or they would see you as strong, a threat not worth letting live, or they would notice that you are smart, making them feel stupid, so you must die,
or they would see you as stupid just worth to be played to death with,
or you happened to just look at them in a funny way, or you did not respect them by trying to not look at them, whatever, you must pay with your death. Anyone that were not born and raised in their way, would have extremely hard just to survive, so what happened was that people gave each other gifts all the time, in hope that that would let them be.

No one would go inside a tigers cage without having something to bribe the tigers with, without distractions, you are dead meat. Then they also lived by idiotic codes of honor, if you made someone loose their honor, they just had to revenge and how can anyone know before how somebody else will react afterwards?

Speech is silver, silence is gold, or, people had surely more reason to regret something they said or did than something they never said or did at all. I really do believe it's a wonder that anyone from those cultures survived at all.

Private User
7/19/2015 at 10:29 AM

I agree Ulf, from the that time period people were brutes and lived primarily by their primitive nature. We are much more civilized now. I had a dream once that I belonged to an invisible group of people who lived long ago by the rocky black shale cliffs. They knew some secret alchemy or something to make themselves invisible and lived hundreds of years never aging and could stay in states of suspended animation for 100 yrs. at a time. They wanted to share something important, some hidden knowledge with mankind but could not because if they revealed themselves they would be killed by the Vikings or other brute type people living in that area. They simply waited and waited for Humans to become more civilized but some internal conflict in their own society caused one of them to break the invisibility spell over suspicion and jealousy unfounded. True to the nature of the inhabitants of the area once they became exposed all of them were killed except one person, a Woman who knew of what was to happen. I think she became part of the Tuatha de Danann. She could not share the knowledge with the inhabitants for they were still too brutish to understand.

Showing 1-30 of 267 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion