Bugs & Questions about Smart Copy

Started by Dan Cornett on Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 3085 posts
3/18/2015 at 6:51 AM

Since SmartCopy is not particularly in the "Beta testing" phase, I thought it appropriate to start a new topic for collecting information about 'problem areas'.

Please include the version number of SmartCopy
(which is shown on the Chrome "Extensions" page -- get there from the Chrome 'menu' at the upper right, move to 'Tools' and then click on 'Extensions')
... as well as the URL of the page from which you were 'invoking' the SmartCopy.

3/18/2015 at 6:54 AM

v1.51.1 - Parsing burial information from BillionGraves isn't working as one might like! See this match: http://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-10147/billiongraves?i...

3/18/2015 at 6:59 AM

v1.51.1 - On the "Update Profile" section of the focus profile's info, when the full set of fields are expanded (by disabling the SmartCopy Configuration Option of "Simplify form by hiding unused fields") -- there is no option/field for changing the Gender. Just had an occasion yesterday where I wanted to change an 'unknown' gender (based on information in the 'matching' page).

3/18/2015 at 7:50 AM

v1.51.1 - This one is interesting: two wives listed - neither gets parsed:
http://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-10133/1920-united-sta...

3/18/2015 at 8:04 AM

v1.51.1 - more 'gender' issues

If a sibling or child is initially parsed with the wrong gender -- and there is an existing Geni profile that one would like to update --, after the gender is changed in the S.C. panel the 'choices' of Geni profiles to select for updating does not change.

Private User
3/19/2015 at 7:22 AM

Thanks Dan - will check it out.

Private User
3/20/2015 at 9:40 AM

Update v1.51.2
* Fixed parsing SmartMatch BillionGraves location
* Fixed gender change refreshes update listing
* Fixed living status change updates ribbon display
* Fixed parsing of family members listed at bottom when not listed in main (Census link - two wives bug & billiongraves link - spouse)
* Fixed FindAGrave image not showing when "You are taking a random walk through our online cemetery" is displayed.
* Living Status - If death or burial information is present, mark deceased.
* Added version number at the bottom of the menu
* Added Gender and Vital (living/deceased) option to focus profile
** If Gender of Geni is unknown and parsed profile is known, it will default to being checked.
** If Vital status of Geni is Living and the parsed profile indicated Deceased, it will default to checked.

3/20/2015 at 10:39 AM

While I haven't used 1.51.2 yet, twice today having the "hover" to check the match of the Geni name to the 'source' name kept me from attaching to the incorrect Geni profile! (where I had selected the wrong one from the history which had similar names! ... neither was on a "MH match" source page).

3/20/2015 at 10:41 AM

I also appreciate the links to the 3 other tools at the top.

3/20/2015 at 11:02 AM

First attempt found this bug:
2extensions::uncaught_exception_handler:8 Error in event handler for (unknown): TypeError: Cannot read property 'contains' of null
at parseSmartMatch (chrome-extension://ofikakkdpjlipbnhbfloclbkcabdhjah/collections/smartmatch.js:425:67)
at chrome-extension://ofikakkdpjlipbnhbfloclbkcabdhjah/collections/smartmatch.js:172:127extensions::uncaught_exception_handler:8 handlerextensions::uncaught_exception_handler:100 exports.handleextensions::event_bindings:384 EventImpl.dispatch_extensions::event_bindings:401 EventImpl.dispatchextensions::SafeBuiltins:19 target.(anonymous function)extensions::utils:94 publicClass.(anonymous function)extensions::messaging:316 dispatchOnMessage

on this page: (FamilySearch match)
http://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-40001/familysearch-fa...

3/20/2015 at 11:04 AM

Suggestion: by the version number, have a link to the SmartCopy Geni project. The links at the top all go to the HistoryLink tools/project; no links back to *this* tool's project.

3/20/2015 at 11:25 AM

1.51.2: Another bug:
buildform.js:495 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'innerHTML' of undefinedbuildform.js:495 buildFormbuildform.js:83 updateFamily

against this MH Census page:
http://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-10134/1930-united-sta...
(I had just successfully added 2 additional children from this page just previously, so it may be some temporary inconsistency in Geni data update, too)

3/20/2015 at 11:29 AM

(buildform error still occurring)

Private User
3/20/2015 at 12:17 PM

Thanks - 1.51.3 fixed your first error and added link. Pushing out 1.51.4 now to fix the other bug.

3/23/2015 at 11:35 AM

Thanks, the 'hangs' no longer happen; however, even with 1.51.4, this match:
http://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-40001/familysearch-fa...
does not "recognize" the picture (& thus no 'option' to copy it).

3/23/2015 at 12:51 PM

v1.51.4 - twice now I've accidentally click on the version/project link when I meant to click on the trailing 'submit' ... could you move the version/project to the left side (similar to how the 'Show History' is on the right) to provide a little more "separation"?

Private User
3/23/2015 at 7:25 PM

That image is a tough one to get. The image url is actually a redirect and it's not consistent in returning the image. Sometimes it returns, sometimes it returns the silhouette. So, I'm not sure if I should try to get the FamilySearch tree images.

3/24/2015 at 6:17 AM

re: image redirect. Ah, I didn't think to look at the url of the image. Are all the FamilySearch images such re-directs? If not, I wouldn't put any effort into it; if they all are, however, that may warrant a bit more to see if it can be workable.

Maybe, in cases where you can detect there may be an image but you can't retrieve it, put a "note" in the "photo slot" that the image can't be retrieved.

Private User
3/24/2015 at 7:18 AM

I haven't been able to get the url after redirect to the image where I might be able to check it - it's all done automatically. Half the time I get the image, half the time I get the silhouette image. It's weird.

3/24/2015 at 7:54 AM

A problem with a particular cemetery name and location. Lumbee Memorial Gardens in Lumberton, Robeson County, North Carolina. The name and city show correctly but the place field is empty and the city is a strange one that I don't recognize.

3/24/2015 at 9:08 AM

Eldon: If I just try that on a Geni profile's location:

The "Lumberton, Robeson County, North Carolina" is fine.
However, if I add "Lumbee Memorial Gardens, " in front of that string, the API comes back with city of Parkton in Robeson County, not Lumberton.

Interestingly, if I add to the base "Lumberton" string by hand, I can type "Lumbee Memorial" and the lookup still returns city of Lumberton. As soon as I add the "Gardens", the API returns Parkton.

So, it doesn't look, on the surface, like a S.C. issue.

3/24/2015 at 9:15 AM

re: the "picture problem" ... if I do an 'inspect element', it shows some deprecated function references. So may not be something that can be resolved by the client browser.

3/24/2015 at 10:09 AM

Dan: The problem has not shown up before for me but that may be because I always enter locations from the Edit fields. I am going to try a search to see if I can find profiles with the city Parkton because I know I missed some of them

Private User
3/24/2015 at 11:43 AM

As I consider where to link the project page / discussions, I wonder if I should do some rebranding, maybe remove the HistoryLink title / icon and change it to SmartCopy.

Some ideas I was playing with:
* https://www.geni.com/photo/view?album_type=project&photo_id=600...
* https://www.geni.com/photo/view?album_type=project&photo_id=600...

3/24/2015 at 1:27 PM

Of the two, I like the arrow better than the leaves. I do like the idea of separation of 'context' ... although I certainly would leave the links to the HistoryLink tools! I use those links regularly, even if not often.

3/24/2015 at 1:34 PM

+1 Dan

- rebranding is timely
- Arrow more than leaf
- suite of tools

Private User
3/24/2015 at 6:36 PM

v1.51.5 - Some rebranding, removed link from version (added it to the top logo). Added discussion icon / link.

3/26/2015 at 10:47 AM

re: gender unknown & birthname (v1.51.7)

If reasonable to do so, I suggest that -- for FindAGrave, at least -- that the siblings and children, where the auto-detection of gender leads to 'unknown' gender, to fill in the Birthname field with the Lastname (if the option "Auto-populate empty birth name fields" is on, as it is by default).

The reason is that most 'unknown' siblings/children are male; if they are female, the fact that they don't have a "married" name means they can safely also get the birthname field filled in (99 times out of 100).

That's not the assumption to make for parents that are parsed as 'unknown' gender, though.

I think it would save time/copying of lastname... (for what I typically see with FindAGrave, anyway).

3/27/2015 at 3:40 PM

Trying to add from Ancestry - http://trees.ancestry.ca/tree/51174505/person/13925285202 into Charlie Carman Stewart. When I run SC only the "About" information is picked up by SC, no option to choose to add birth or death information for any of the family members. Also all siblings are being picked up as "Unknown" gender. Using 1.51.7, only configuration option turned off is Burial date estimation.

Private User
3/27/2015 at 4:53 PM

Kimberly Louise Fraser, if you can, right click on the SmartCopy icon and choose "Inspect Popup". That will bring up another window alongside SC. If there is an error, it will often display in the console, which will help me troubleshoot the issue.

Alternatively, if you could give me access to the tree so I can run some tests on it or send me the HTML source code for the page via email (send me a PM).

Showing 1-30 of 3085 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion