All About mtDNA in Genetic Genealogy

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 82 posts

There seem to be a view Swedish persons on the H ftDNA project

I can't seem to add my mtDNA results into my profile. Anyone able to advise ?

Do you upload from ?? ftDNA or other?

23andMe and Ancestry can only load autosomal . I know that Y dna is included in autosomal results from 23andMe.(raw data file)

If you had uploaded from ftDNA and you have a change on your result, like a new Y haplogroup, then you must "de link" your ftDNA accout from Geni and then link it again.
Then only will your results be updated.

Actually my mtDNA results did upload from FTDNA..Plus autosomal

Thank you Private User

I tested with ftDNA and then had a change on result. Will "de link" and relink.

Much appreciated !

Your result changed?

mtDNA + was added to my tests a few months ago.

I am assuming that this would have changed my results.... right ?

I would think so. C's advice to delink and then relink is the best. (Shut both programmes down completely in between if you have to.)

I delinked properly but cannot relink. There is no option to "transfer results from ftDNA to Geni"

See https://www.geni.com/blog/geni-adds-dna-to-the-world-family-tree-39...
Showing the profile screen shot.

Suggestions ?

Did you try from the FTDNA site?

It seems that I managed to transfer from the ftDNA site, however all DNA markers etc have disappeared from my profile.

Maybe it's uploading the test results.

mtDNA uploaded correctly.

Not sure about autosomal.

I'd give it a day :-)

Pam Karp , you should/can go to your profile and click on your mtDNA haplogroup there and it will take you to your Geni haplogroup project. you must invite yourself to the project.
I have added it to the H mtDNA Haplogroup and invited you to it too.

Thank you so much for the suggestion Private User. Will do !

Did your result change or was it refined? E.g. were you Haplogroup H, but now you're in a specific subclade of H? My grandmother is h1ak1, for example, a subclade of H.

Private User

My mistake, the result didn't actually change, just were not visible to me.

Private User, thank you for pointing me to the project which I have now joined and see that some of my family members are there as well.

Presumably your "touch" in that happening.

I am descended from Cecile d'Atis born 1650 whose mtDNA is H10. Her daughter is Elizabeth des Pres born 1670 in Courtrai, Flanders, France. Her daughters were Cecelia and Anna van Marseveen. Marie Prevost born 1713 and her sister Elizabeth Prevost also share this mtDNA , just to mention a few who come up on my own lines. H10 mtDNA was found in the tooth of Luke the gospel writer which I found rather thrilling. I do not have time to figure out how to add this into Geni but if anyone is interested to do so for me I would be grateful. I have my info all in familysearch.org and know that system.

Glenda Griffin if you click on this link, it will take you to Cecile d'Atis. Not sue if it is the same as yours mentioned above. Dont see daughter Elizabeth des Pres, but her husbands sister is Elizabeth des Pres.
Did you do a DNA test? or how do you know you are H10

I did my first mtDNA test more than a dozen years ago when they were first started and cost hundreds of dollars, but they are much more detailed now as well as being cheap! I sent the results of that to the Huguenot Society at the time but they were not interested in DNA then. A later test through 23&me confirmed that first one. It would also be the mtDNA of Catharina De Roo, Cecile' s D'Atis mother born 1620 died 1656.
Isabeau du Preez or des Pres was another daughter. I am descended from several of the daughters on different lines. I have used the maiden names for women as on familysearch.org, not the married names as on Geni. There is so much intermarriage and same names it gets very confusing!! Thanks for your reply and help C Barry.

Sorry, C Barry. Isabeau du Preez on Geni must be the daughter I am calling Elizabeth des Pres as they have the same birthdate in Courtrai, Flanders. I will change to Isabeau to avoid confusion.

Glenda, thankyou for the info - I'm working on Celia later today or tomorrow, so will chat to you about using this info then.

Very interesting Glenda! Thanks for sharing. From what I can gather, the following relics of Luke the Evangelist remain: the body, in the Abbey of Santa Giustina in Padua; the head, in the St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague; a rib, at his tomb in Thebes.

Despite "the head" being in Prague, a tooth was found when the lead coffin purportedly containing the body of Luke the Evangelist was opened on September 17, 1998. At Bishop Mattiazzo's request, the Prague skull was brought to Padua and found to fit perfectly to the topmost neck bone. The tooth, found on the floor of the coffin, also fit into the right socket in the jawbone.

Fantastic article on the subject here:
http://www.pnas.org/content/98/23/13460.long

Thanks again Glenda; made for very interesting reading.

Glenda Griffin, at the moment your tree is showing no maternal line before your mom.
Can you enter the maternal line back to Cecilia d'Atis, SM/PROG, or if you're having trouble doing that - message me, and I'll enter it for you?

(On your married name point: The French Huguenots don't use married names - so they shouldn't be shown with them. Geni allows you to record the married name of women who legally assumed them, in addition to the birth name. In SA, before 1800, only British women tended to legally assume married names. )

I did a transfer of my mtDNA from Family Tree which was fine but my Autosomal DNA test from Ancestry has still not on my profile. It says that it will be added soon but that was in July last year !!!
Should I try it again, have I done something wrong ?

Thanks Sharon

Showing 31-60 of 82 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion