All About mtDNA in Genetic Genealogy

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-82 of 82 posts

Glenda Griffin, thankyou for entering that line :-). I'll add your mtDNA to Cecilia d'Atis, SM/PROG & hopefully we'll get other users who are her descendants to join you in giving us the results. You're a star -thankyou - & have sent you invites to the projects.

Is there an indication if and where Geni is going to "propagate"(lost the word), extend haplogroups up more generations.
I think it only going up 8 generations.
Or would they do it if more descendants test the same to avoid false or possible non maternal events.

I have no idea, I'm afraid.

Mine is going up 10 generations, 8th great = 10 steps. I would like to see that it goes up until a conflict is found, and then show both (or more)...

Yip, if Y and mtDNA comes from how far back, then it can go as far back on Geni as there is people...

Then it could flag you if there is (arise) a conflict. How else would you know if there is a NPE or NME.

Strange, my Y dna show on my Dads profile, but my mtDNA does not show on my mother or grandmothers profiles?

Wanted to see if it goes to :
Trijntje Theunisz Gansevanger is your 9th great grandmother

This is ticked : Propagate my DNA results to other profiles in my family tree

There are no profiles on Geni with Mitochondrial DNA that matches E S Barry (Rossouw).

But if I go to persons who can match (or test for)her mtDNA, I am on the list with my/her Haplogroup.

Mitochondrial DNA Ancestors of C Barry

Export PDF
1. C Barry b. 1971
2. E S Barry (Rossouw) b. 13 January 1932
3. Elsie Sophia Frederika Rossouw (Lesch) b. 5 February 1911, Malmesbury, Western Cape, South Africa; d. 24 August 1991, Durbanville, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
4. Elsie Sophia Lesch (Truter) b. 17 June 1880, Koringberg, West Coast, Western Cape, South Africa; d. 5 June 1911, Blaau Bloemtjes Kloof, Malmesbury, West Coast DC, Western Cape, South Africa
5. Hester Cecilia Bester b. 23 September 1858
6. Elsie Sophia Wilhelmine Luise Bester (Smit) b. 3 May 1814, Swartland, Western Cape, South Africa; d. 15 April 1874, On the farm Hooggelegen, Koringberg, Western Cape, South Africa
7. Huibrecht Elizabeth Johanna Margaretha Smit ((Smit)) b. 19 January 1797
8. Helena Johanna Mostert b. before January 29, 1758
9. Anna van der Westhuizen b. 13 January 1726, Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa; d. 24 January 1801, Malmesbury, West Coast DC, Western Cape, South Africa
10. Beatrix Olivier b. circa 1696, Kaapkolonie,Suid Afrika; d. circa 1737, Cape, South Africa
11. Beatrix Gysberta Verwey b. 1655, Woerden, Woerden, Utrecht, Nederland; d. 30 January 1741, Stellenbosch, Caap de Goede Hoop, Suid Afrika
12. Trijntje Theunisz Gansevanger b. 1620, Millegen, Nederland; d. circa 13 September 1715
13. Beatrix Guiberthe Ganzevanger (NN) b. 1617
© 2017 Geni.comAboutTermsPrivacyBlogWikiWorld Family TreeHelpEnglish (UK)Follow UsBe a Fan PROTry Geni Pro for Free
English (US) eesti Svenska Español (España) Français עברית Norsk (bokm

Ja, that's strange, C. It's not because she's living, because my mother's mtDNA has been propogated to my (living) daughter.

Dont know? Previously it did go up 11. Beatrix Gysberta Verwey.
Dont know what changed.
I will quickly "kill" my mom :-( and see what happens.

Nope, didnt work.
Glad to report that my mom is okay again :-)

Good that she recovered so quickly :-). Can you message Customer Service?

When did you upload the DNA?

Possibly a privacy issue.

I sent in for my full mtDNA to family search in August results from U S A scheduled for D3cember

?? Did you send your sample to ftDNA?

Did you only do/request a mtDNA?

This was the best option they offered me as a female : Family Finder, mtFull Sequence, International shipping
I sent my Samples to Family Search and they acknowledged receipt of same , the results are still pending and their DNA web monitoring page reflects estimated finalisation in December.

YesFt DNA

I understand my nephew will get for the paternal Y Genes for Lesch , and I as a female only can do the female line,

Does that mean then for a full sequence MtDNa..I will get the genetical breakdown of all the female ancestors..mothers English genes and maternal grandmother Lansdell, GGM Rickard, Prescott. Etc etc. I already have verified ancestry on my mothers side to 1550: ..but I did this to extend my Cape Dutch descendency sowalso get my fathers German Dutch female genes.like his mother , my GM who was an Odendaal, and her mother my GGM who was Van Nuiwenhuizen??.. What of my fathers Grandmother who was a Roodt, she should also surely reflect in my genetic makeup?

https://undsci.berkeley.edu/search/imagedetail.php?id=175&topic...=

Your paternal grandparents will be in the mix of your autosomal results - but difficult to isolate.

Mt DNA is easy to follow because it doesn't recombine

Showing 61-82 of 82 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion