Antoinetta Campher, b2 SM - Anthonetta aka Agnietje Campher?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Showing all 6 posts
6/15/2016 at 5:09 AM

Richard Ball has argued, quite convincingly, that Anthonetta and Agnietje Campher are the same person, not two sisters:

The reconstruction of her families are based on the inventory of the estate of Arij van Wijk (1731), the Estate Distribution Accounts of her son, Willem van Wijk Ariesz. who died without leaving children in 1774, her daughter Maria van der Swaan's will of 1740 and also the Stellenbosch church records.

Anthonetta Campher was possibly the daughter of Laurens Campher and Ansela van de Caab who were recorded living in Stellenbosch with three children in 1703 (Cape Muster Rolls of inhabitants). The evidence for her three marriages
1. Gerrit van der Swaan 1705
2. Arij van Wijk Willemsz: circa 1711
3. Jochem Scholtz 1733
is as follows:
1 Willem van Wijk Arijsz: - Boedelrekening dated 6th May 1775 1 (Deceased Estate distribution accounts)
His brothers and sisters are listed, including:
• Anna van der Swaan wed: Lodwijk Putter d['0u]de
• Maria van der Swaan wed: Hendrik Kruger.
as half sisters on the deceased's mothers side (als halve Susters van de overleedens moeders Zijde)
2 Opgaafrollen 2
1709 Ary Wz van Wijk 1 man
1712 Ary Wz van Wijk 1 man 1 wife 1 son 2 daughters
1719 Ary Wz van Wijk 1 man 1 wife 2 sons 3 daughters
1731 Ary van Wijk & Agnetta Campher
1 man 1 wife 5 sons 4 daughters (ref 1. below)
allowing for the fact that I don't know when in the year the opgaaf returns were made, in 1712 Ary van Wijk and Anthonetta Campher had just the one son
and in 1719 they had just one daughter, 2 sons born prior to 1719 and one son born circa 1719
This give us two daughters too many in each assessment. This could indicate the presence in the household of the two Van der Swaan daughters.
In 1731, according to the baptism registers, they had 5 sons and 4 daughters, tallying with the opgaafrollen exactly - by this time both Van der Swaan daughters had married, Anna in ... and Maria in ...
3 In her will dated 1740 3 Maria van der Swaan, naming her heir in case she shoud die without leaving any children, stated that her mother was Antonetta Campher, formerly the widow of Gerrit van den Swaan.
Given the form of this statement one would assume that Anthonetta Campher was then, in 1740, either the wife or widow of another man. Unfortunately Maria did not state what her mother's current marital state was.
4 Council of Policy 4
During 1739 there were several reports to the Council of Policy (the governing body) at the Cape from the Piketberg area where a number of dissatisfied farmers were having their case examined by Johannes Cruiwagen.
In May of 1739 he stated that he had spoken to the farmer, Hendrik Krugel, who offered to send his brother-in-law, named Gerrit van Wijk, to carry information to the other farmers.
From another statement in July of the same year we are told that in this area there were Gerrit van Wijk, the Widow Gerrit van Wijk and her son, Gerrit van Wijk the younger. The last named was a boy of 15 or so and the eldest son of the Widow van Wijk (Elisabeth Vivier).
Hendrik Krugel had no sisters so his brother-in-law must have been a brother of his wife. His wife was Maria van der Swaan.
According to the De Villiers/Pama version, she had no brothers, but if Anthonetta Campher, mother of Maria van der Swaan was the same Anthonetta Campher, mother of Gerrit van Wijk Ariesz:, then they are brothers-in-law.

We must accept, therefore, that there was only one Anthonetta Campher, married firstly to Gerrit van der Swaan, then to Arie van Wijk, Willemsz and, in 1739, recently become the widow of Jochem Scholtz.

These notes written and researched by Richard Ball ©2003 In the opgaaf of 1738 she is listed in the Drakenstein district, as being on her own, with three sons and three daughters, 40 cattle,100 sheep and some grain, presumably still farming in a small way, or perhaps livining with a son or daughter.

6/15/2016 at 5:12 AM

Em Lo says:
I did a bit more digging and found in most documents I can find she is called Angenietie/Agnitie.

Angenietie, baptised 29/1/1690 (suspect * ca 1688)
Angenitje, 1693 slave lodge census, scholar
Agnitie x 5/9/1705 Gerrit v d Swaan
Agnitie xx 27/12/1711 Arij van Wijk
Antoinetta Campher in 1731 de la Fonteine Report (opgaafrol), spouse of Arij van Wijk
Agnita, widow of Arij vn Wijk xxx 31/5/1733 Jochem Scholtz

I can only find her as Antoinetta in one opgaafrol, but there may well be others I do not have copies of. Perhaps the census recorder misheard her name and recorded what he thought he heard.

Considering all the main church documents record her as Agnitie (various spellings), I will definitely consider this her proper name and consider Antoinetta her aka, unlike SAF who has opted for Antoinetta as the main name and Agnita as the secondary(aka) one. Personally I think it should be the other way around. I will send a comment as such to GISA for future consideration or explanation.

SAF:
b2 Antoinetta (Agnita) * Kaapstad c. 1688 x Stellenbosch 5.9.1705 Gerrit VAN DER
SWAAN v Nederland xx Stellenbosch 27.12.1711 Arij Willemz VAN WYK ≈ Kaap †
voor Sept 1731 s.v. Willem van Wyk en Catharina Hillebrants xxx Stellenbosch
31.5.1733 Joachim SCHOLTZ *Altmark-streek, Brandenburg, Pruise c. 1690, burger
aan Kaap op 26.6.1732, vestig “Elandskloof”, over de Olifantsrivier op 13.9.1733, maar
koop later “De Klijne Vogelvallei”, dist Piketberg waar hy hom op veeboerdery en
landbou toegespits het † “De Klijne Vogelvallei”, dist Piketberg, KP c. 1738

6/15/2016 at 6:01 AM

Great - thanks for al lthat Sharon!

I agree - Angenietie/Agnitie and Antoinetta is the same person, not sisters.

I have also just found Arij's estate inventory in which she is called Antoinetta: MOOC8/5.40.....although interestingly in their marriage record she is called Agnitie.

She clearly did go by both names, although I get the feeling the Antoinetta was added later in life. My personal preference is to consider Angenietie or Agnitie (whichever spelling is preferred, as appears in her baptismal and ALL her marriage records, as well as the slave lodge census) as her real name - her "DOOPNAAM". Clearly she used Antoinetta later in life too but to me that is her aka.

It's probably not all that important in the big scheme of things - the main thing is that Agnitie aka Antoinetta is obe and the same person. ☺

6/15/2016 at 2:58 PM

Just a thought - it seems to be judging by the many different spellings of her Angenitje name that it was difficult for people to put into writing the sound they heard when she spoke her name.
After trying to imagine how she may have said her name, I think if one uses a bit of imagination, there is some similarity in pronouncing Angenitje and Antoinetta. But at least spelling the latter is easy.
One can never know for sure of course but I don't think it is impossible that the aka Antoinetta may have come about in this way...???
Can you see (hear) the similarity or is my imagination running wild?? ☺

6/16/2016 at 1:32 AM

Thanks for your hard work here, Em. Yes I think that must be one of the most likely possibilities. I can hear it too - especially if the person writing is hearing an accent s/he isn't used to transcribing.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion