DNA Integration Superthread

Started by Mike Stangel on Thursday, June 30, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 1386 posts

Elroy Wayne Kauffman, II if a manager is unresponsive, and it's a public profile, it's often helpful to start a discussion on the "discussion" tab of the profile. This will pop up in the "followed discussions" list of everyone who follows the profile, and also in the list of all public discussions, where interested people might catch it. It also serves as a public record of discussions, so that people who edit the profile later can refer to it.

Any Geni member can edit any public profile.

See if my blog post is of help to any of you http://blog.kittycooper.com/2016/07/the-new-dna-feature-at-geni/

Is this thread the best place for suggestions for new features, and bug reports? Four suggestions:

1. I can't see which DNA matches that are new and old. Please add an import date column that I can sort from.

2. Please add list of X matches, and a list of people that potentially could be my X matches.

3. The mtdna matches at distance 1 are extremely distant and non-interesting. I am h3h1 but get matches with people belonging to H and K as matches, with a common match 12800 years ago. K must be a bug. Please allow me to supress distance 1 = speculative relatives. Or require full mtdna test and analyze HVR1+HVR2+coding regions - meaning that distance 1 would still be within the same subgroup.

4. The ydna test result is too narrow. I am R-S7759 and another guy that is R-S7759 is not shown as match to me. (According to big-Y he is R-Y9073, which appeared 325 years ago.)

From an example I saw posted on the ISOGG Facebook page, it looks like Geni's numbers resemble the Chromosome Browser data from FTDNA, with "overlap" being the total cM shared (including small segments under 5 cM).

FTDNA will not accept v4 data from 23andMe or v2 data from AncestryDNA because they deem the SNP overlap to be too small for their algorithm. I think their algorithm could be adjusted to accommodate imports if they simply focused on the longer segments. What does Geni plan to do?

When going to my father's geni profile I see: You and Joseph Henry Heffler are related closely enough to verify your relationship using Autosomal DNA. Geni currently has Autosomal DNA data for you but not Joseph Henry Heffler. Since Joseph Henry Heffler is deceased, his autosomal DNA cannot be obtained for testing. This relationship cannot be confirmed with autosomal DNA.

I have his autosomal results at 23andMe and transferred to FTDNA. Why am I not allowed to upload them if he is decseased?

Mike Stangel I uploaded my 23andme dna yesterday and i still do not have any matches...do you know how long it should take fore matches to show up?

(Repeating from Facebook and adding comments) I did this the other day and immediately got about 160 autosomal "matches" in the Geni tree. (Now more than 190) Two of them were with people I already knew were related to me: Of two possible 1st cousins twice removed, one is actually my 3rd cousin; the other is my 3rd cousin once removed.

Maybe the matching algorithm sets the bar way too low?

I ran "You are connect to . . ." for several putative cousins ranging from 2nd cousin twice removed to 3rd cousin with at least 100 overlapping cM. Geni showed them to be related through two to four or more marriages. Yes, perhaps there is also a blood relationship we haven't discovered, but I am dubious.

And what am I to make of a suggested 2nd cousin twice removed with an overlap of just 23 cM, the longest segment being 9 cM? I'm sticking with my 100 cM minimum interest level.

A lot of Ashkenazi noise, I think. Maybe I'll take a look at some with a longest overlapping segment of 13 or more. I've done that with several profiles; all were related to me through multiple marriages.

Private User, Geni must be intentionally restricting the ability to upload DNA results to deceased profiles. Hopefully they will improve on that and only restrict if the person died prior to DNA testing being generally available.

I'm still trying to figure out how this works, and wondering why they don't just include a box to type in the haplotype if known.

Maven - I think they'll come along to explain some of the design decisions. I'm beginning to see results on the tree and it looks nice and clear to me.

Private User - They do explicitly state that doing it thru linking eliminates the possibility of Typos.

it also eliminates the possibility of someone entering as THEIR haplogroup the one they assume is theirs because a relative shows it and they simply are assuming no mutations, no NPEs.

it also avoids totally bogus and/or wishful-thinking entries.

Hey Guys I uploaded my ancestry results the day before yesterday and I gave it time to do it's magic I went back and checked on somthing clicked on the dna tab to see about matches but I'm getting Dna has been disabled for this profile? Did I do somthing wrong?

Michael - my understanding (which could be wrong) is that ancestry DNA test results uploads may take some time to process.

A friend of mine, who is a Pro user, is trying to transfer her father's FTDNA results to his Geni profile.

She goes into the DNA Tab and there is no big GREEN box with a link to do this transfer. She sent me a screenshot.

I went into his profile and see a big GREEN box and a link to do the transfer.

What could be causing this?

Of course I can do this for her, but I want to know why this is.

WARNING! The "Remove DNA Information" link has NO confirmation popup, gives NO other indication, and apparently just tosses the info into the trashbin.

This Is Not Good.

Out of curiosity, do you EVER get another chance to re-upload the info if it is NOT from FTDNA?

Will the translation for the DNA tab be available.

I wanted to help out with that, clicked Ctrl+Alt+I, and nothing is underlined there.

Volodya Mozhenkov, all translations for DNA tab are up, and help is needed! Try access tr8n directly:

https://www.geni.com/tr8n/translator

Why is there such a disparity between the Tree relationships, i.e. Geni path is i.e., 25th Cousin, Twice Removed and the DNA relationship, says we are 2nd Cousins, Twice Removed?

Translations for DNA has been up for some months now, but only for invited translators, so it is probably not opened up for full as it should as part of the release.

Try this link: https://www.geni.com/tr8n/translator/assignments#comp-1

If it does not work we have to contact Amanda

Private User, Geni is using the closest relationship that fits based on the DNA data. Outside of grandparents, the amount of DNA that could match any given level of cousin can vary widely.

On top of that, the Geni path is only based on what's in the tree. You may have a closer relationship that is just not known on the tree yet.

I need to UNremove or RE-upload DNA information (from 23andme) for Private (I have his permission).

I wasn't sure it uploaded correctly the first time, since it took for-bloody-ever and I never got any kind of confirmation.

Now there is NO option for uploading the data.

I'm going to take this up directly with Mike Stangel.

What is supposed to happen in those instances where one parent is proven to not be a biological parent of the person?
Especially when you KNOW that 'parent' raised the child as parent.

And especially given that Geni does not allow you to designate one Parent as biological and one as not biological.

Mike Stangel

I agree with what Magnus Eriksson Eriksson said above plus one more item not on the list of desired features at my blog post is the ability to look at paternal or maternal line when a parent is tested so actually a not in common with in addition to the in common with would do the job ...

atDNA match comparison request (apologies if already requested)
Ability to sort by total overlap, or by largest segment, or even better to filter for total overlap or segments greater than n

I find all the predicted 2nd cousins with 9cMs or less longest segments rather nonsensical, particularly as my own dna doesn't even show up as relevant for my own 2C2R (nor does that of my maternal aunt, a generation closer )

I may also be too impatient, but many profiles quickly showed my atDNA results show up in matches as expected so my assumption is that the notices have been propagated thru the closer relatives already.

Private User you can use the "add relative" function in the Profile view, and then choose "parent" and "adoptive" or "foster" to avoid a conflict. If one parent is both a part of the biological relationship and the foster relationship, you probably need to tweak the relationship after adding the foster parent.

I did a raw data autosomal DNA upload to geni from my ancestry.com and my full mtdna from familytree. The ancestry is still being processed...how long does it usually take?

Hi Christina Marie Bennion, the raw autosomal uploads will be processed and matched by code that is still being finalized -- it will be several weeks before we have results.

(Sorry for the aggravation, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem because we need a good set of autosomal data to make sure the code is right)

Private User I'm sorry I didn't respond to your message from July 1st -- it looks to me like your DNA tab does say that you have mt DNA propagated from your mother. Am I misunderstanding, or did the problem get fixed?

Thanks for checking back.... That problem cleared up later in the day. Perhaps the system was temporarily overwhelmed on that first day.

Showing 61-90 of 1386 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion