Maaij Claesje van Angola - "It seems that THIS Claaje is incorrectly described as from Angola"?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, July 25, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
7/25/2016 at 12:04 PM

The following appears on this profile's About Me. Private User, the Revisions suggest that you may have put it there, although, given the language (Afrikaans ? Dutch I think?) it seems less likely:

=It seems that THIS Claaje is incorrectly described as from Angola

Reference code: C. 20, pp. 46-47 Woensdag 16 Februarij 1689.

Het versoek-schrivt van den E.Pieter van Helsdingen, gedesigneerde fiscâl ten dienste van d’ E.Comp. na Suratta, thans op ’t hier ter rhede geankerde schip ’t Wapen van Alkmâr bescheiden, in Raade geleesen zijnde, inhoudende versoek om uijt ’s Comps. slavenhuijs een slavinne genaamt Claasje tot vroetvrouw ten dienste van sijn swangere hujsvrouw na Batavia mede te mogen neemen. So is eenpaarig verstaan den suppt. syn versoek toe te staan en hem de voors. slavinne ten fine voorn. te laaten volgen, mits dat hij ter taxatie van de Hooge regering van India kost en vragt geld voor heen en weer reis in ’s Comps. cassa op Batavia betaale, en de E.Comp. voor de schaade goedspreeke die deselve soude komen te lijden, indien de meergenoemde slavinne Claasje voor haar wederkomst kwame te sterven, of weg te loopen. [1]

Notes.

[1] Vgl. V.C.12: Dagregister, 1689–1690, 1692, pp. 124–125. Hierdie Claasje van Angola het volgens ’n resolusie van die Kasteel Batavia op 27 Mei 1689 versoek om met die eerste retoerskepe weer na die Kaap te mag terugkeer. Haar versoek om in vryheid gestel te mag word, omdat Van Helsdingen dit aan haar belowe het, is na die Kommandeur en Raad van die Kaap verwys. (Sien Kol. Arch. 604: Resolutiën van den Generaal en Raden, 1689, pp. 275–276.

Reference code: C. 147, pp. 231-248. Dingsdag den 22: Aúg:s 1769.

Wijders is op het Schriftelijk versoek van den Extraord:r vúúrwerker Johannes Bresler, Seeker ’S E: Comp:s Slave Jongetje gen:t Abel van Catrijn van Sangolanij, oúd omtrent 6: Jaaren, úijt Slavernij ontslagen en in vrijdom gesteld, mits voor denselven de Somma van Een hondert guld:s in ’S Comp:s Cassa alhier zal moeten werden voldaan.=

7/25/2016 at 12:12 PM

Now, from what I can figure out, this says that in Feb 1689 E.Pieter van Helsdingen requested that the slave Claasje be taken out of the Company slave house at the Cape to travel with him & his pregnant wife to Batavia. In May 1689 Claasje requests the Castle Batavia to allow her to return to the Cape.
[One can only assume that the poor woman had been taken away from her own children?]
I can't figure out the relevance of the bit dated: 22: Aúg:s 1769 :-(

This seems to me to suggest that there's a six month period where Claesje is away from the Cape on board ship travelling to and from Batavia.
I don't understand how this means she wasn't from originally from Angola? Am I missing something?

7/26/2016 at 10:53 AM

Private User?

Private User
7/26/2016 at 11:22 AM

I can only refer to FFYP and eGGSA web pages. 2012 is a long time ago!

7/26/2016 at 1:11 PM

I just want to know if I can delete it, or if I'm missing the point?

Private User
7/26/2016 at 10:17 PM

It seems to be irrelevant - so doesn't bother me!

7/26/2016 at 11:06 PM

Whether she comes from Angola or not is relevant to me because I'm creating an Angolan project.

Private User
7/28/2016 at 2:01 AM

If there is no substance to the note then it needs to be removed - which is what I understood you were asking!

7/28/2016 at 2:06 AM

I'm trying to figure out whether there's substance I'm missing because I can't easily understand the Dutch. It's very important if there's a reason to think she's not Angolan.

7/30/2016 at 2:42 PM

I'd like to see that removed too. Maaij Claesje arrived at the Cape as a 13 year old in 1658. The mentioned voyage wasn't until 1689.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion