Begue , husband of Amaudra, Count of Paris - Connect parents?

Started by Alex Moes on Saturday, March 18, 2017
Showing 31-37 of 37 posts

Dorothy, I know a brain surgeon and an airline pilot would you like me to fly you anywhere or ...?

Medlands is not a primary source it is a secondary source which quotes a lot of primary sources, the fact that people on Wikipedia quote it as a source makes them no better than us here on Geni. Unlike Geni and Wikipedia Medlands is not crowd sourced it is maintained by Charles Crawley so I have no idea what you mean by "joining it", as for mistakes well I will be very impressed if you find a historical error with Cawley's work. Broken links and typos happen but the data is very high quality.

As you say Medlands is continually being updated, I have taken to the habit of adding the version number and date (found at the top of each Medlands page) when i copy text to Geni and i encourage everyone else to do the same.

It's a site run by Charles Crawley who is I think just a student. Trying to make a quick buck by "selling versions of what's on his site so member of his site are privileged to being able to download newer versions as they come along. As a matter of fact its quoted on his site" for personal use ONLY" Since I am a paying member on this site which is a public business and being forced to use Charles Crawley ONLY rather than Wikipedia which is free to share BTW .. Its illegal , Geni is far from being a person site.

Charles Crawley SITE Is to make money and A goal to gathering as much information about anyone from his Members that join to add their findings to his site. His Project site makes it easier for other people to find source INFORMATION All in one place rather than spend hours researching all over the net ORLibraries etc.... That's why I said its not always correct. Plus it is incomplete on many branches . But Don't get me wrong its a good site and Charles Crawley is encouraging people to help by jto add and or correct any mistakes but it doest add where these sources come . You have to go to another part of the site find the source files. But they dont explain who they are for.

Wikipedia has stories and pictures and many other Primary sources and notes added on those sites . That's why I like Wikipedia better.

My cousin has FULL access to the original "Primary documents" in the archives at his work place. So I would believe his finding over any other site. If I think its incorrect on Geni or Wikipedia or other sites he can tell me what is truly written.

So I dont understand your first comment "Dorothy, I know a brain surgeon and an airline pilot would you like me to fly you anywhere or ...? Alex what doe that have to do with this topic?

My point is my cousin WORKS in the historical archives building ,you cant go any place better than that for finding "Primary documents" and files can you? Maybe you can get your pilot friend to fly you to the Netherlands or any other Historical building in Europe that stores all the original documents and you can look through the archives yourself and share then on Geni. Would that suit you better?

Justin I find many doubles or even triples of the same person.. One might be MP status and the other is not . I've ask curators to merge them but most times they wont and tell me to ask you... You don't respond and ignore my requests.. I can give these profiles in question if you'd like for you to revue them . All I want to do is get the tree in order. Having OCD like I have makes it very frustrating and upsetting that a son or daughter can be my X times grandparent according the Geni but their father and or mother is not even closely related to me !? That makes no sense at all.

Post the duplicate profiles and we will remove them.

>> It's a site run by Charles Crawley who is I think just a student. Trying to make a quick buck by "selling versions of what's on his site so member of his site are privileged to being able to download newer versions as they come along.

Not relevant. What matters is the content. Quotes from primary sources and citations to them.

>> My point is my cousin WORKS in the historical archives building ,you cant go any place better than that for finding "Primary documents"

Since we're looking for primary sources it doesn't matter where they come from. Cawley is a good source for them. If you find something somewhere else it's just as valuable.

>> You don't respond and ignore my requests..

Dorothy, I've never had a simple merge request from you. I used to get messages from you but they weren't simple requests. They were long, detailed arguments. I asked you to post those arguments publicly. You refused and said I was an idiot. I stopped responding. As simple as that.

Issues that affect the medieval tree belong in the public sphere where everyone can see what's going on. It is not appropriate to make major changes in a hole-in-the-corner discussion. Take Sharon's advice -- post the duplicates and if it's appropriate to merge them, someone will do it.

Justin I am going to ignore your last comment about our "arguments" as you call them and THEY are ALL posted publicly
The name calling , we are both guilty of that by the way.... This discussion is about Charles Crawley site and others like Wikipedia.

Justin you yourself told me in the past that it was OK you post source files from Wikipedia.... Alex is now telling me not to...

Alex Moes © C

3/20/2017 at 7:49 PM

Dorothy Jane Smid,

Please don't use wikipedia (regardless of the language) as anything more than a primer.

Medlands is a sourced academic site (IN ENGLISH) please use it as your template when building in this region of the tree. Here is the link for Gerard:

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/FRANKISH%20NOBILITY.htm#_Toc3711560...;

Now I am being told "Since we're looking for primary sources it doesn't matter where they come from"

I'm a bit confused now but whatever ...I really don't care at this point to make a fuse over this. I've lost interested now.

Sharon...As for your response to me "Post the duplicate profiles and we will remove them." I really don't see the need to remove any profiles . I've already taken care of them without "removing" any by merging them as the same person. For the record Justin YES they were appropriate to merge together.
Justin... I do have an issue regarding one of your profiles that you've made MP status on an other branch I would like to discuss with you . I will start a discussion within that profile page later tomorrow and invite you to it.

Dorothy, I don't understand your confusion about sources.

1. If Cawley has the line, use that.

2. If you have a primary source that Cawley doesn't mention, add that.

3. If you can't find anything else, use Wikipedia for clues.

Showing 31-37 of 37 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion