Maj. Thomas Jordan, Sr. - Thomas Jordan I wife

Started by Shirley Rogers on Sunday, April 16, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 62 posts
4/16/2017 at 4:52 AM

I am a descendant of Thomas Jordan I. His wife was unknown. Lucy Corker was married to a Thomas Jordan who lived in Surry County which adjoined Isle of Wight.

Thomas Jordan I in Isle of Wight died long before Lucy Corker married Thomas Jordan who was in the line of Arthur Jordan and George Jordan in Surry County.

To follow Thomas Jordan I's line, his son Thomas Jordan II married Margaret Brassear in 1658 and became a Quaker. They can be followed in William WadeHinshaw's American Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy, Volume 6.

Sat3.rogers@gmail.com
For questions

4/16/2017 at 7:33 AM

Major Thomas Jordan is my 8th Great Grandfather. He was the son of Captain Samuel Jordan of Jordans Journey. He marries Lucy Rose Corker, and one of their sons was Thomas the Quaaker who marries Margaret Brasseur. Her family were Huegenots, and not to popular in France at the time! It is qiet possible that the Jordans were Quakers before they left England. There is still a Quamker Chape on Jordans Willage Buckinghamshire from whence they are reputed to have left.
Regards Jude Jordant

4/16/2017 at 8:56 AM

Major Thomas Jordan is my 8th Great Grandfather. He was the son of Captain Samuel Jordan of Jordans Journey. He marries Lucy Rose Corker, and one of their sons was Thomas the Quaaker who marries Margaret Brasseur. Her family were Huegenots, and not to popular in France at the time! It is qiet possible that the Jordans were Quakers before they left England. There is still a Quamker Chape on Jordans Willage Buckinghamshire from whence they are reputed to have left.
Regards Jude Jordant

4/17/2017 at 3:54 AM

Thomas Jordan i is my 8th great grandfather. We have traced the line to him.
Would you share your documented proof that Samuel Jordan is his father and that he married Lucy Rose Corker. We have been unsuccessful in finding those two elusive pieces of documentation.
My line:
Thomas, Thomas & Margaret Brasseur, Benjamin & Sarah Robinson, Benjamin & Lydia Pleasants, Thomas Pleasants Jordan & Susanna Ellyson, Robert H. Jordan &Susannah Thomas, Elizabeth Jordan Allen, William Robert Allen, Alice Allen, my mom, me.

Thank you for your response.

Shirley T. ROGERS
sat3.rogers@gmail.com

Private User
4/17/2017 at 8:40 AM

I've spent the entire afternoon following up this issue and am 99% convinced by the documentation though there is no smoking gun of a birth certificate or marriage certificate. There is the book "Roots in Virginia: An account of Captain Thomas Hale, Virginia Frontiersman..." which has an entry on Thomas and his father, Samuel. There are a few other sources I'll mention below. Apparently, they left sufficient tracks to be pretty sure of things.

Here is the data from the first tome:
Thomas Jordan was the eldest son of Samuel Jordan by a first wife in England. Samuel came to America first in 1610 on one of the three ships of Lord Delaware's fleet. He had left behind his three sons, Thomas, Samuel and Robert. He was one of the first burgesses of Charles City in 1619. On Dec 1, 1620, he married Cecily Bailey, widow with baby. She was 19. Land grants, patents etc. Had two daughters by wife Cecily, Mary 1622 and Margaret 1623.

The son, left behind in England, Thomas, b. 1600, came to America in 1624. He married Lucy Corker, daughter of Capt. William Corker and Lucy White. Latter is mentioned in Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Vol. 1 under the listing of her brother, John White, who was a burgess for James City and son of William White, haberdasher, London. (Virginia Magazine xv, 64) His will was proved in Surry County in 1679 and mentions Lucy.

Apparently, it was Thomas Jordan, the son of Thomas, son of Samuel, who converted to the Quaker faith upon his marriage to Margaret Brasseur.

Listing also in Lineages of Members of the National Society of Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims, Vol. 2.

You know, apparently of the info in the Quaker genealogy.

4/17/2017 at 10:17 AM

Parentage in error - the old story has been disproven. Samuel Jordan's sons did not survive. See the Master Profile for him: Samuel Jordan, of Jordan's Journey

DNA & paper trails show no male descendants in 2012.

4/17/2017 at 11:25 AM

Here's is the Thomas Jordan who married Lucy Corker:

Thomas Jordan, of Surry

I've corrected the name of the wife of Maj. Thomas Jordan of Isle of Wight.

In other words, what Shirley Rogers reports is what the Master Profiles in the Geni world tree show also, which is accumulated research by many managers and descendants.

4/17/2017 at 11:49 AM

Hello Shirley
I have just been on Lucy Roses sight, managed by Erica Howton. She points out that there are to LucyCorkers and twoThomas. Mine is plaine Lucy, and Lucy Rose was an Aunt. End of a long hard day! Will sort this properly in the morning. As Margaret Brasseur is inyou Tree did you know you were related to various Kings ofEnland!
Regards Jude

Private User
4/17/2017 at 12:34 PM

I'm having doubts that Thomas Jordan who married Lucy Corker is actually the son of Samuel... the connection appears to be tenuous.

4/17/2017 at 1:11 PM

I haven't traced Margaret Brasseur past her father. I would be glad to see it.
At one point. I read that the Jordans were descendants of Charlemagne.

On my Cary line we descend from the sister of Anne Bolene.

Sat3.rogers@gmail.com

4/17/2017 at 1:14 PM

We have not been able to find documented proof that Thomas Jordan I was the son of Samuel.

Shirley

Private User
4/18/2017 at 12:43 AM

I thought about it quite a bit last night and one of the "muster role" docs I read mentioned that Cicely had arrived pretty much at the same time Samuel did. Not in those exact terms, but gave the number of years she had been in the colony. So does anyone know for sure that they didn't arrive together?

It also seems rather strange to say that Samuel went to the colonies and left young children behind without then specifying that they later came and joined him. Plus, the fact that Thomas Jordan suffered so much persecution supposedly with his father having been a local big shot doesn't make sense.

Looking at the Arthur Jordan line, is there documentation?

Private User
4/18/2017 at 1:29 AM

I've got immigration "records" for two Thomas Jordans, one arriving in 1623 the other in 1629. (Ship passenger lists.)

Then, I have two marriage "records" for Thomas Jordan w/ Lucy Corker, one dated 1628 and the other dated 1633. One gives the marriage place as VA the other doesn't say - could have been England. When I investigate the sources of the two records, I discover that they are from a family group sheet and a pedigree chart submitted to LDS. In short, they are conjectures since nothing else seems to be behind them. Not even a family Bible as far as I can tell (which ought to be cited if it is the source.)

I've got a VA census record for Thomas Jordan for 1624, likely the one who arrived in 1623.

I'll look at the Arthur Jordan connection.

Oddly, the geni system gives this guy as my 8th cousin 8 X removed, while the ancestry system gives him as my 8th g grandfather. Line goes:
Thomas Jordan m. Margaret Brasseur
Son James m. Elizabeth Ratcliffe
Dau Eliz. m John Francis Knight
Son. John H. Knight m. Elizabeth Woodson
Son John Knight m. Rachel Anderson
Son Samuel Knight m. Mary Frances Roberts
Son Jesse Knight m. Rebecca Caroline Varn/Vaughn
Son William S. Knight m. Martha Ann Collins
Thomas Jefferson Knight
Thomas Jackson Knight
me.

I have a family bible that takes it back to John Knight m Rachel Anderson.

4/18/2017 at 1:53 AM

Hi Laura,

I worked quite a bit on Samuel Jordan, of Jordan's Journey and Cecily Farrar, Ancient Planter please do review the notes & documents in their profiles.

From Memory!

- Samuel Jordan's parentage is uncertain
- he left his wife (her name unknown) and children behind while he adventured in Virginia
- it was "not" unusual for a married man to come to Virginia and send for his wife & children at a later date

- Cecily Reynold's parents are unknown
- she arrived "by herself" as a teenager to Virginia and "soon" after married Thomas Bailey. So she may have arrived at a similar time as Samuel Jordan, but he was married and she married elsewhere.

- after both of their spouses died, they married, and "then" Samuel sent for his children from England. One of his son's returned to England for his education, supposedly returned to Virginia after his father's death, but there are is no possible descendant matching DNA as of 2012. The other son died in the Massacre of 1622.

- if I remember correctly, they may have found Samuel Jordan's possible burial location at where Beggar's Bush would have been a few years ago, the excavations at Jamestown are continuing.

- But descendant wise, it looks to be a dead end.

4/18/2017 at 1:58 AM

PS - I have thought it likely that Samuel Jordan and Cecily Reynolds were vaguely related and from the same area in England. He was a generation older than her, a well established man by the time they married, and left her a wealthy and powerful widow.

4/18/2017 at 9:21 AM

Trying to make sense of all this, I have been on Lucy Rose's site, as run by Erica Howton, and this informs me that she is my 9th Great Aunt. Interesting at the end of the time line
and I quote Thomas the Quaker Jordan,his mother Lucy Jordan, her father Captain William Corker, his daughter Lucy Rose. So did he have two daughters named Lucy, or is that supposed to be his mother?
Parentage in error? I only put in my father, grand father, and great grandfather, and I can vouch for them, the rest was already on Geni! My research goes much further back to when Jordan de Courcy came to England with William the Conqueror, and started the line.

Judith Jordan

Private User
4/18/2017 at 12:24 PM

Hi Erica,
You write: ". One of his son's returned to England for his education, supposedly returned to Virginia after his father's death, but there are is no possible descendant matching DNA as of 2012.."

How is that determined? My brother and I have done a few DNA things but other than looking at the pretty maps haven't a clue what to do with them. I have a list of "matches" but after communicating with the closest ones, couldn't find any ancestors in common within recent times. So I don't know how it works.

4/18/2017 at 12:38 PM

Ah, that's a whole other topic! You might want to look at this project about DNA testing:

https://www.geni.com/projects/DNA-Primer-A-portal-for-genetic-genea...

There are probably group projects for the surname Jordan, here's one:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Jordan-Surname-Project/default...

There is a grouping under earliest known ancestor: Arthur Jordan born England, died Surry Co, VA, USA

And the haplogroups / matches of descendants who tested are shown. Looks like he was likely I-M223.

For Thomas Jordan b1634 of Isle of Wight Co,VA the haplogroup looks to be R-M269. So right there we know these are unrelated Jordan families (R is not I).

4/18/2017 at 12:39 PM

PS I share your frustration about working the "matches." :)

4/19/2017 at 3:58 AM

Ok. This is from memory of past readjngs.
A Lucy Corker was married in England and died there.
A Lucy Corker married Thomas Jordan in the Arthur Jordan, George Jordan line. (We have a cousin who is descended from two different Jordan lines: our Jordan line through her mother, and thd Afthur Jordan line through ber father. Lucy Corker married the Thomas Jordan in her father's line.

Cecisly came with a couple from England. She was Green or Reynolds...her mother said to be cousin of Samuel.

Thomas Jordan I came in 1923 on the Dania. He was in muster of 1924 as soldier in Berkleys armh. He was living on property belonging to or formerly belonging to Samuel.

Samuel's bones were exhumed and taken to the Smithsonian for study and testing. He has sjnce been reburied on the property in close proximity to original burial site.

4/19/2017 at 6:47 AM

Another point that may be of interest, is that my grandfather John Alfred Jordan was a Big Game hunter in Africa, he wrote two books on the subject for the American market. Mongaso, and Elephants and Ivkory. When I asked my mother how he financed this, without any visible signs of support, she told me that all the family money came from one of my great grand fathers who had a tobacco plantation in Virginia, so it adds weight that we must be decended from him.
Any suggestions would be welcome regards to all Jude

Private User
4/20/2017 at 1:10 AM

Well, none of this helps me with my James Jordan, Thomas "The Quaker" Jordan, to Thomas Jordan to Unknown father Jordan line. Gads, there is a veritable slew of Thomas Jordan's born in England around 1600. How was it determined that the one in question, the "Maj. Thomas Jordan" of Isle of Wight, came from Wiltshire??

4/20/2017 at 1:26 AM

Private User are you trying to find the English antecedants? And of WHICH Jordan (tag them please) - we're talking about different ones. :) Be aware though that "very few" of the emigrants to the American Colonies can be traced with confidence to England, and of those, usually only a couple of generations. The good news is though that once you get related to one of the "gateway" profiles, you're related to, like, everyone. BUT Jordan is not one of those lines, I don't think.

JUDITH CHRISTINE INCE Again I need a tag to a Geni profile. Which Jordan are you talking about?

Shirley Rogers as before, your information is spot on, and a better memory than mine. What have they learned from Sammy's Jurden's bones, do you know? He died so tragically.

Private User
4/20/2017 at 2:12 AM

Well, not sure how to tag, but here goes: @Elizabeth Knight is where my concern begins. Her father @James Jordan son of @Thomas 'the Quaker' Jordan of Chuckatuck who a whole bunch of folks claim was son of @Thomas Jordan who married Lucy Corker, who was then the son of @Samuel Jordan. Apparently, that is not the case. So, I'm in the lurch, having hoped to find out more about Thomas and Lucy.

Private User
4/20/2017 at 2:14 AM

Obviously, that didn't work - tagging that way must be reserved to living persons with profiles who have trees, etc. Let me try again. Elizabeth Knight who was Elizabeth Jordan is where my problem begins: Elizabeth Knight

Private User
4/20/2017 at 2:37 AM

Okay, that's the ticket. So, Elizabeth is daughter of James Jordan who is son of
Thomas 'the Quaker' Jordan of Chuckatuck who is son of Major Thomas Jordan who I now learn is allegedly NOT the son of Samuel.

As is stated by the profile: "Parents unknown, name of wife unknown. Not to be confused with Thomas Jordan, of Surry who married Lucy Rose. He was not the son of Capt. Samuel Jordan, of Jordan's Journey - as of 2012, DNA test results and paper trail assert that Samuel Jordan had no surviving male issue."

I'm assuming that the DNA tests were following the Y line, so that's pretty definitive.

4/20/2017 at 3:32 AM

You can take that one to the bank. Samuel Jordan of Beggar's Bush is one of the more famous (and colorful) characters of Colonial Virginia, and his wife was an "Ancient Planter" in her own name, "First Mother" of Virginia, and "First Flirt." Every genealogical stone and quite a number of architectural ones have been unturned and churned over for this couple. The only thing to counter this is error and old information, which is what you're seeing elsewhere.

4/20/2017 at 5:46 AM

The old world spelling is Jourdaine. Jordan appears only in Jamestown records. Looking at my family records they seem to even switch the spelling, Jourdaine, Jourdan, etc. I would look at French geneology and not associate any Jordan to pre Samuel or Sylvestor, in England. There were many Jourdaines moving between England and France during the life of Samuel.

4/20/2017 at 8:26 AM

I must admit that Ido not know what a tag is! However my tree proven by me starts with my father John Eric Jordan, grandfather Alfred T Jordan, then Samuel J Jordan. He is mentioned as being in America in my grandfathers book. When I put this up on Geni, the family tree was all in position up to Jordans Journey and well beyond. However you are telling me this is all wrong. Maybe so.This bit of research I have done through Wikipedia, who say that Samuel Jordan of Jordans Journey had four children by Francis Baker. Thomas being one of them ,lived to 84 and represeted Warrasquoke in the House of Burgesses. Whatever that means. He certainly had the time to have children!

Regards Jude

4/20/2017 at 8:32 AM

I had a contact from a Shelby A. Jordan a few years ago asking if Alfred Jordan was in my line since his (Shelby) DNA matched Thomas Jordan. I see that you are also a descendant of Alfred. I believe your line is from a , Colonel Samuel Jordan, one of Thomas Jordan and Margaret Brasseur's ten sons, and the brother of Benjamine Jordan I from whom I descend. Shelby also lives in Texas.

Also, recently, Philip Ridley has been identified as a descendant of Alfred Jordan.

Showing 1-30 of 62 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion