John Archer - parentage of John Archer (c1644-1695)

Started by John Albert Rigali on Sunday, July 30, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
7/30/2017 at 11:10 AM

If this John's date of birth is correct, he was born too early to have been a son of his attached parents. I propose that he be either detached from his current parents, or "moved" into the position of brother of his current father. What say you?

Private User
8/7/2017 at 8:45 AM

I show this John Archer born 1668 not 1644 married to Elizabeth Royall who was born 1648. the problem of using Cica is that it leaves a 10 to 20 year gap that the individual can fall into.
This John Archer is my 8th Great grandfather
Billy f Simpson jr

8/26/2022 at 4:19 PM

Archer, of Elizabeth City County, was a different and unrelated family of the more prominent Archers of Henrico & Chesterfield.

I’ve detached John as son of George Archer, Sr. & Mary Royall

Their son was John Archer, of “Archer Hall”

Additionally, I can’t find that Capt. Joseph Royall, Jr. & his wife Katherine had a daughter Elizabeth, plus, they are of Henrico, not Elizabeth City.

Also, the attached children may not belong.

So more sources are much appreciated.

8/26/2022 at 5:32 PM

I wonder if there are more John Archers than there are Alexander Trents?

I still have to weave this John Archer into the mix ... he was awarded the first medical degree in the country.

https://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc3500/sc3520/000001/...

John Archer, M. D., son of Thomas Archer, was born near Churchville, in Harford County (then Baltimore County), May 5, 1741. His grandfather, John Archer, came to America from the vicinity of Londonderry, Ireland, in the early part of the eighteenth century. The family is said to have descended from John de Archer, who came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066, as it is said all the Archers in Great Britain were descended from him. Dr. John Archer was the sole survivor of five children, all the others having died of a malignant fever in infancy, he narrowly escaping death at the same time. He is the ancestor of all the Archers of that family now residing in Harford County. He attended school at Nottingham Academy, in Cecil County, where he was a classmate of Dr. Benjamin Rush. In 1760 he graduated at Princeton with the degree of A. B., and in 1763 received from the same college the degree of A. M.

He studied theology, but on account of a throat affection which impaired his speech, and for other reasons, he was not well qualified for the ministry, and he turned his attention to the study of medicine. He attended lectures at the College of Philadelphia, the forerunner of the present University of Pennsylvania. On October 18, 1766, he married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Harris, who lived nearby. In the recess of the college Dr. Archer practiced medicine in New Castle County, Del. On June 21, 1768, he graduated as a physician, and as his name came first on the list of the first graduating class, Dr. Archer received the first medical degree ever conferred in America.

In July, 1769, he commenced the practice of his profession in Harford County . He grew rapidly in professional reputation and in the esteem of his neighbors. He took a prominent part in public affairs at the time of the Revolution, organizing on September 16, 1775, a military company at Churchville, and his name is subscribed to the famous Bush declaration.

On November 27, 1776, he was chosen an elector for the Senate of Maryland and a member of a committee of observation for Harford County. He was also a delegate to the first constitutional convention of the State, which met at Annapolis in 1776, and which was presided over by Matthew Tilghman. His Harford colleagues in that convention were Jacob Bond, Henry Wilson, Jr., and John Love. This convention also drew up and adopted the bill of rights. In 1776 Dr. John Archer and Gabriel Duval were chosen as presidential electors for the State of Maryland.

In 1800 he was elected to Congress by the party of Jefferson, and was re-elected in 1802. His skill as a physician was frequently called into service during his term in Washington as a member of Congress. He died suddenly September 28, 1810, honored and respected by all who knew him. He was the author of many articles on medicine and surgery, and was an eminent authority in his day in his profession. He was the preceptor of a number of distinguished physicians who came after him, and his house, near Churchville, was at times like a medical college, so numerous were the young men who sougth his tuition.

He was the father of Jude Stevenson Archer, who was chief justice of the State. In addition to the public offices held by Dr. Archer, as stated above, he was one of the first of the Lords Justices of this County. His portrait may be seen in the courtroom at Bel Air.-- History of Harford County, Maryland: From 1608 (the Year of Smith's Expedition) to the Close of the War of 1812, Walter Wilkes Preston, 1901 sd

8/26/2022 at 6:24 PM

That looks like another Archer line.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion