Keziah Mallory (Adkins) Fry - Are parents correct?

Started by Erica Howton on Saturday, February 10, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts
2/10/2018 at 5:45 PM

Not listed as a child of Parker Adkins in Ronnie Adkins book, as quoted here

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000075748403140&

Private User
2/10/2018 at 8:56 PM

It seems that Ronnie may have changed this later. See discussion here: http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/adkins/6069/

2/10/2018 at 9:01 PM

Well, that's good enough for me. Putting her back.

What about Susannah McGriff

2/10/2018 at 9:18 PM

And what about Elijah Adkins

Private User
2/10/2018 at 10:49 PM

For Susannah, there's a comment on the Metcalf blog that mentions that Ron also was going to change this (https://adkinsmetcalffamily.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/the-adkins-feu...):
"I had a long conversation with him [Ron] today, a very nice man and he said, there is no concrete proof of Susanna Adkins being the daughter of Parker Adkins that he knows of. But she does fit the time gap. She will be in the new book due to go to print in three months."
As for Elijah, I haven't found too much right now. There's also this profile Elijah Adkins who seems to be related since he named his child Parker. Maybe multiple Elijah's have been confused. His tree really needs to be cleaned up since his grandfather is listed as the Earl of Oxford. Luckily DNA testing seems to have confirmed his descent: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/adkins/about/results

Private User
2/10/2018 at 10:57 PM

There is some evidence that there was another Parker Adkins in the region who could be the father of any missing children. Irene Jane "Jainey" Harless was married in 1799, after Parker's death but someone named Parker Adkins signed the certificate. There seems to be some speculation online that Parker's son Millington went by Parker Millington but there doesn't seem to be much evidence or consensus.

2/10/2018 at 11:37 PM

Is this maybe Elijah

From https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/adkins/about/results

Family 02 William V. ADKINS b 1689 VA 

--(2) William V. Adkins b 1689 Chas City (later Henrico County) VA d bet 1754-74 Goochland VA m Elizabeth Parker (Sons: Richard, William Jr, Joseph, Jacob, Sherwood, Parker, Henry)
---(3) Jacob Adkins b 1725 Henrico or Lunnenburg? VA d Greenbriar VA m Judah sons: Elijah and Sherod
----(4) Elijah Adkins b 1760 in Virginia, sons were William A., Thomas T., Henry, Rachel...

2/10/2018 at 11:52 PM

There's a fun story in the profile Perhaps Jacob Stover, Jr.

From Family notes of Virginia Pierce of Salem, OR 97303 : "Mary Adkins is the mother of Jacob Adkins, who married Phoebe Bradshaw. There are several stories about the marriage of Mary Adkins and Jacob. We are not sure what his last name is. Some say it is Harley. However, it seems to b e a fact that he was sent to America as a tax collector for the Crown. They had seven children. Mary's brothers did not like him and fought with him. He wa supposed to be the son of an English Earl - the Earl of Oxford. Some people called him Jacob Oxford, but that was not his name. When the revolutionary war arose, he was called back to England, and he did not take Mary and their children with him. He never returned to America. When he died he left some money for Mary and the children, but they would have had to go to E ngland and present their claim for it, so they never received anything. Mary raised her family alone and they all turn ed out to be good people . The children all took their mother's name ADKINS."

-----

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jjadkins/chronicles/indexSept98.htm l : "Mary ADKINS (35) was born in 1735 in Goochland County , Virginia.(36) She died between 1814 and 1820 in Cabell Co unty, Virginia .(37) Mary Adkins is the mother of almost al l Adkins descendants of Southwestern West Virginia. With most family researchers her descendants make up the so-calle d "Royal Line". This Royal Line theory comes from the family oral tradition that Mary lived common law with a descendant of the Earl of Oxford. According to the tradition, he deserted Mary and her children during the Revolutionary War and returned to England. Because the family name of the person that held the title 'Earl of Oxford' during the mid 1700 s was Harley it was assumed by almost all researchers that this man's name was Jacob Harley. Mary Adkins is buried i n an unmarked grave on Beech Fork at the mouth of Bowen's Creek."

As reported by Paul Dyer with references from Lambert Papers on the Adkins Family, by Hariam Adkins, Mae Adkins Tabor' s recorded in Wayne Couty News, and Ronnie Adkins of Montgo mery, Alabama:

"Jacob HARLEY was born about 1733 in Oxford, England. Son of an English Earl came to America as a Tax Collector and met Mary Adkins, and by common law marriage, lived with her and was the parent of several children.

When trouble between the Colonies and England began, Jacob Harley returned to England without his family. At his death he left a large sum of money to his son Jacob, but he refused to go to England to claim his fortune. Instead, in 17 79, he, with his mother, brothers and sisters crossed the Allegheny Mountains and later, setteled in the Beech Fork section of what is now Wayne County, WV."

------

Those children would not have Adkins Y DNA so Elijah who married Nancy Hunter is not that line.

I would think the British Tax Collector was not really an earl's child; but if he was, I'll leave it to someone to prove it.

Private User
2/11/2018 at 11:26 AM

I found a copy of the 1790 marriage record for Elijah and Nancy Hunter on Ancestry. I'll add it to his profile. It looks like Millington Adkins was a witness so he probably is a son of Parker.

2/11/2018 at 12:42 PM

I almost hesitate to ask about Elijah’s wife Wabeleganequa "White Wing", of the Shawnee ....

Private User
2/11/2018 at 2:39 PM

Something is definitely wrong with the marriages. It doesn't make sense for Elijah to have a child with one wife in 1785 but marry another wife in 1790 while his first wife is still living. Lewis does seem plausible though since he named his children Elijah and Nancy. On other online trees, they also have Richard Adkins b. 1786 and Nancy Adkins b. 1786 as the children of White Wing. I would assume that his wives were confused since they were both named Nancy. That said, if Elijah did marry White Wing, it could be where the whole Blue Sky story originated since one of the Adkins married into Cornstalk's family.

Private User
2/11/2018 at 2:45 PM

I found this on the Metcalf blog, which could explain the two marriages. I think their source is Shawnee Heritage so I don't know how accurate it is.
"In 1790, White Wing left Elijah and took “Little Nancy” to join the Indian resistance movement of Tecumseh. This is all interesting history because early in 1789 Tecumseh travelled south with Shawnee forces to Tennessee to aid the Cherokee fight against western expansion of the settlers. In 1790, Tecumseh returned to Ohio, where White Wing probably joined him as he traveled through western Virginia. White Wing first became Tecumseh’s translator, and later his 3rd wife, as they were married in 1793. My understanding was that when they were married, Little Nancy was left in the care of the Cornstalk tribe. According to Shawnee Heritage II, White Wing and Tecumseh had 3 children. On Feb 28th, 1790 (shortly after White Wing left), Elijah, paid 50 pounds to apply for a marriage license to marry a Nancy Hunter (his brother Millington was a witness). Later in 1790, Elijah, his new wife and children took the long trek over the Cumberland Gap to settle in Granger County Tennessee. "

2/11/2018 at 2:49 PM

Re: That said, if Elijah did marry White Wing, it could be where the whole Blue Sky story originated since one of the Adkins married into Cornstalk's family.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

This might actually be in history books. I would still be curious as to how / when / where Elijah met White Wing, and what Ronnie Adkins has to say.

2/11/2018 at 2:59 PM

There's an interesting reference here

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:White_Wing_(1)_

McWhorter, Lucullus Virgil. The Border Settlers of Northwestern Virginia from 1768 to 1795: Embracing the Life of Jesse Hughes and Other Noted Scouts of the Great Woods of the Trans-Allegheny. (Hamilton, Ohio: Republican Publishing Co., 1915), 1915.

Excerpt: Tecumseh had other wives than Mamate; the last of whom was
Wa-be-le-ga-ne-qua: "white wing." He lived with her from 1802 to 1807, but it is not known
that he had other children than the one son; but there may have been others.
There is living among the fourteen Confederated Tribes, known as the Yakimas
of Washington, a tali, spare, sinewy man just past the meridian of life, who differs
in some respects from the tribesmen about him. This is Chief Tecumseh Yak-a-
tow-it, who gave me this fragment of his family history.

"Mine," said he, "is an inherited name on my father's side. I am descended
from a long line of warriors. My father was Yakatowit, Chief of the Klickitats.
My grandfather, whose name I cannot recall, was a noted warrior who came from
far to the east, I know not the locality. His father was a great chief named Tecum-
seh, who was a mighty warrior. I know but little of his history, nor am I certain
of his tribe. I only know that my father told me that he fell in battle fighting
with King George's soldiers against the Americans. This was a long time ago.
I know not how many years. It has been long since that battle was fought."

While Tecumseh enjoys but slight education, he is a man of strong mentality
and high moral integrity. He has always been a leading spirit in tribal affairs,
and on March 15, 1912, was chosen "Head Chief of all the Yakimas." This,
however, was in a factional fight and being a man of sensitive honor, he has never
pressed his claim. I have often met with him in tribal councils and visited at his
home. When I first met him, he had never read of this most renowned Shawnee;
nor does he know the meaning, or interpretation of his own name. He explained
that "Tecumseh," in Klickitat, has no primal rendition, but is "only' a name." He
is proud of his traditional lineage, and justly.

2/11/2018 at 3:08 PM

This however casts doubt on the Tecumseh connection

https://books.google.com/books?id=JN9EAAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA155&ot...

Page 155 of Tecumseh and the Shawnee Prophet: Including Sketches of George Rogers Clark ...By Edward Eggleston, Elizabeth Eggleston Seelye

2/11/2018 at 3:08 PM

There are two stories with regard to the marriage of Tecumseh, one being that he was married to several wives, but never to more than one at a time; while the other is that he had but one wife. The latter is probably the truth, for it is on the testimony of men who knew him all his life. His marriage took place at the age of twenty-eight, and was in compliance with the wishes of his friends. His wife, Mamate, was older than himself, and seems to have been a mediocre person, both physically and mentally. Tecumseh's only child was a son named Pugeshashenwa, which means "A-panther-seizing-its-prey." Mamate died soon after his birth, and he was lett to the care of his aunt, Tecumseh's beloved sister, Tecumapease.

2/11/2018 at 3:12 PM

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Tecumseh_Shawnee_(1)_

↑ 4.0 4.1 Tecumseh's Last Stand. American History Magazines. ISSN: 1076-8866. December 2012. volume 47, number 5. page 34.
  Black Swamp Heritage Articles
Bill Oliver
31 March 2002
Vol. 1, Issue: #13
Excerpt:
Tecumseh grew into a man who possessed an intangible,
and undescribable aura of a leader to follow anywhere,
anytime. They say that there were many women who
wished to become the wife of Tecumseh. He did accept a
maiden to cook for him, and attend to his needs, but
without the ritual of marriage.

Tecumseh did marry Mohnetohse and she gave birth to a
son who was named Mahyawwekawpawe. He invoked the
ancient Shawnee marital law, to divorce her because she
did not take care of their son. He took his son and
put him into the raising care of his sister,
Tecumapese, ordering Mohnetohse to be away from him
forever.

Upon the urging of his tribesmen, he married second,
Mamate, a slightly older woman in order to relieve his
sister of taking care of his son. However, when Mamate
gave birth, she was so weak that she soon died in the
night.. Tecumseh named this son Naythawaynah — the
Panther Seizing Its Prey, and Tecumapese was now in
charge of raising both sons.

In an earlier article it was mentioned of a possible
potential marriage to a frontiersman's daughter,
Rebecca Galloway. This is only one of stories about
this romantic leader of Indians. Another rumored
relationship, or marriage, though not proven, is that
Tecumseh as a young man married a girl named Tompkins
here in northwest Ohio and that there were children who
retained the name Tompkins.

Private User
2/11/2018 at 3:23 PM

From John Sugden's Tecumseh: A Life: https://books.google.com/books?id=zEff_7ZWZXEC&printsec=frontco...

"The year 1802 saw him in a happier, if ultimately no more successful, partnership, this time with Wa-be~le-gu-ne-qua, or White Wing, the daughter of an influential Shawnee chief named Half Moon. Half Moon dips in and out of our sources without betraying much"
The date doesn't match up with a 1790 marriage or the 18th century dates for her children. Is there a good source for Nancy's name being White Wing? I wonder if people took a family story about Elijah's wife eloping and decided that she was the same person as Tecumseh's wife. Maybe Elijah's wife did remarry but White Wing and Nancy are different people.

2/11/2018 at 4:19 PM

Comments here on Elijah's family

http://basotho-qwaqwa.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=1222156&item=188

Parker and Elijah Adkins are my direct ancestors, I haven't seen on any records that Elijah changed his last name to Atkins to Adkins. There is a record that shows Elijah born 1771 or 1772, and not 1764 or 1765. He married Nancy Hunter February 1790 in Virginia. In 1831 Elijah appears in Tennessee. Elijah is not with Nancy in the 1840 census, but I believe she is with her Daughter in Tennessee then. Richard, Lewis and Nancy Atkins, we the Family believe are children of Morris Atkins of Grainger Co., Tennessee, and not Elijah's. Morris possibly being the Son of the Older Richard Adkins, Parker's Brother.

2/11/2018 at 4:22 PM

And more http://basotho-qwaqwa.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=1222156&item=194

1771-1772 Montgomery Co., Virginia, Elijah Adkins born to Parker Adkins.

February 28, 1790 Montgomery Co., Virginia Elijah Adkins married Nancy Hunter.

June 21, 1792 Montgomery Co., Virginia Tax List, Elijah Adkins shown as; "not above 21 years of age."

April 2, 1799 Montgomery Co., Virginia Tax List, Elijah Adkins shown as; "Male above 16." with "3 Horses."

December 6, 1800 Montgomery Co., Virginia, shows; "Abijah Adkins,"

I believe this to be our Elijah, mispelled, stood surety for Susannah Hunter, Nancy's Sister.

1831 Anderson Co., Tennessee, Elijah Adkins and Son-in-Law David Wallace made a purchase.

March 1848 Anderson Co., Tennessee, Elijah Adkins Jr. deceased, his Brother-in-Law James Wallace, is administrator for Elijah Jr. heirs. P

Children of Elijah and Nancy Hunter;
* Elijah Adkins Jr. born 1791 VA, died before 1850 TN
* Elizabeth Adkins born 1793 VA, died August 13, 1840 TN This death date for Elizabeth, some people put with Millie, who is living with her Son John in Anderson Co., TN in the 1850 census.
* Levi Adkins born February 20, 1794 VA, died March 30, 1877 TN
* Amelia "Miilie" Adkins born March 1, 1798 VA, died after 1850 TN
* Rachel Adkins born September 23, 1799 VA, died April 4, 1866 TN
* Eliza Celia Adkins born 1801 TN, died about 1834

We believe the Elijah Adkins - White Wing information to be in error.

We also believe Elijah, Son of Parker Adkins was named after Elijah Cornstalk that died very young. I hope this helps, Ethel

-----

This later birthdate makes an earlier marriage and children impossible

2/11/2018 at 4:26 PM

The 1790 marriage is listed as a first marriage for Elijah

File Format: jpg. 1799 Personal Tax List, Montgomery Co. Format: jpg. Elijah Adkins and Nancy Hunter Marriage Record. Format: jpg. Montgomery Co., VA June 21, 1792 Personal Property Tax List Elijah Adkins, Son of Parker V. Adkins. Format: htm. First Marriage. Format: jpg. Elijah Adkins and Nancy Hunter Marriage Record.

2/11/2018 at 5:14 PM

Re: Richard, Lewis and Nancy Atkins, we the Family believe are children of Morris Atkins of Grainger Co., Tennessee, and not Elijah's. Morris possibly being the Son of the Older Richard Adkins, Parker's Brother.

So we would have to move these kids to the right family

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/atkins/2090/

Tennessee Cousins, pg. 129 - "Dr. Samuel Atkins of Walkers Ford, and Union County- Dr. Samuel Atkins, of Walker's Ford was a prominent citizen of Union County.He was son of MorrisAtkins, who came to what is now Grainger County, with his parents from Wythe County, in Virginia, where he was born in 1800.Morris Atkins married Lucinda Peak, and their son Samuel Atkins was born September 1, 1831 and may have been a brother of Artie and John T. Atkins, who are buried at the old Oak Grove Church Cemetery.Morris Atkins and Lucinda Peak were married in 1828.

Early Settlers of Claiborne County, TN, written by P. G. Fulkerson (1840-1929), prominent lawyer in Tazewell, TN.His granddaughter, Katherine Dyer, had his articles published in the newspaper: "The Tazewell-New Tazewell Observer", 1979-1981
"Atkins, MorrisAugust 15, 1979
Morris Atkins, a son of Stephen came with his father to Clinch River from Wythe County, VA about 1808.He married Emeline Hall; Minerva, married V. W. Capps; Lucinda, married John G. Walker; Mary, married Christian Haynes; Joseph, who was killed by a horse when he was twelve years old."

2/11/2018 at 5:17 PM

http://www.joepayne.org/atkins.html

Has Morris 1740 > Steven > Morris > Dr. Samuel

2/11/2018 at 5:19 PM

Bingo

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/adkins/6240/

I agrre with Mr. Pratt.
Lewis born 1785, Richard born 1788, are Sons of Morris Adkins and not Elijah Adkins.
Please refer to the 1810 Grainger Co., TN census.
Richard Adkins was appointed guardian of Stephen Adkin's Children in Grainger Co., TN, sometime between 1810 to 1815, Stephen I believe was a Brother to Richard and Lewis Adkins.

Elijah Adkins Jr. born 1791 is a Son of Elijah Adkins and Nancy Hunter, he married Mary Lamar.
They are in the 1840 Anderson Co., TN census, only Mary and the Children were found in the 1850 census of Anderson Co., TN.

I belive the Nancy Adkins listed is actually the Daughter of Stephen Adkins, she married Archibald Mullins.According to Godspeed's Sketch of Archibald Mullins, she must a Niece to Richard and Lewis Adkins and not their Sister.

2/11/2018 at 5:22 PM

Here are the spouses of Elijah's kids

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/adkins/5161/

I have never seen any data indicating that Elijah and Nancy Hunter Adkins had a daughter named Nancy. Have you? The oldest was Elizabeth (b. 1791)who married David Adkins, then Levi, then Millie Adkins who married Samuel Wallace, Celia Adkins who married James Wallace, Rachel Adkins who married Samuel Foster and Elijah Adkins, Jr. who married Polly Lamar. These are the only children I have ever seen listed as those of Elijah and Nancy. Elijah and Nancy married in Feb. 1790 and Elizabeth was born in 1791 so that does not leave much time for another daughter to be born in 1790.

I am fairly certain this was Levi's mother who moved to Anderson County and was a charter member of Bethel Baptist Church. If she died in 1839, that means she was about 70 years old.

2/11/2018 at 5:27 PM

On that mail list (informative) there's a suggestion that it's just possible Elijah was Milliton's son.

Also Moses = Morris and they're related.

I think White Wing is yet another myth unfortunately.

2/11/2018 at 5:34 PM

So here's Morris Atkins, Sr.

2/11/2018 at 7:17 PM

I am now a lot closer related because of Nancy Mullins whose father (disputed) murdered a Hunter - who must have been related to Nancy Adkins

Wild family. Earls, Shawnee, and hanged for murder.

2/11/2018 at 8:12 PM

Elijah Adkins family is fixed. He's missing kids though.

2/11/2018 at 10:08 PM

Sarah Adkins did a lookup for us in Ronnie Adkins 1990 book, snd apparently the Elijah who married Nancy Hunter is not in the book at all. (No White Wing’s either).

Still, I feel rather comfortable with this tree placement as son of Parker Adkins based on the postings from family and the association with Millington Adkins.

I did make the note that he’s not in the book.

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion