South African mtDNA N1a (French Huguenot)

Started by Private User on Saturday, July 14, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts
Private User
7/14/2018 at 8:12 PM

We currently have two mtDNA progenitors in the South African mtDNA project that would appear to be N1a:

Suzanne de Vos, SM/PROG
Suzanne de Vos, SM/PROG

and

Suzanne (Susanne) Taillefert (Briet), SM/PROG
Suzanne Taillefert

Wonder if there's any nascent connection between these two (i.e. besides the presumably French megalithic connection)?

7/15/2018 at 12:00 AM

Where is the DNA showing?

Private User
7/15/2018 at 4:22 PM

Sharon,

For Suzanne Briet:
Louw van Deventer [confirmed by genetic test as N1a]
No DNA uploaded to Geni however,

For Suzanne de Vos:
Johannes Pienaar [Confirmed N1a by DNA test]
His mtDNA has been uploaded to Geni.

I'm assisting a direct maternal descendant of Suzanne de Vos, via Maria Susanna Pretorius (Griesel). My hope is that she'll consider an FMS mtDNA test.

Private User
7/15/2018 at 4:23 PM

I'll tag Johannes Pienaar here for future reference. :D

7/16/2018 at 3:36 AM

That's very interesting, Drummond. Which Louw? Private or Private or Lourens Andries Stefanus Van Deventer

Private User
7/16/2018 at 4:06 PM

Private in the South African mtDNA - Female Progenitors project under Suzanne Briet.

As was pointed out though in https://www.geni.com/discussions/183956?msg=1231216#reply Suzanne de Vos' mother might actually be Suzenne Absolon not Jeanne Francomme. I've contacted Ghislaine le Mauff for more information on de Vos / Absolon family; awaiting her reply.

Are we sure about Suzanne Briet's provenance?

Private User
7/16/2018 at 11:50 PM

Purely out of curiosity, Jean de Vos (Francomme) was added as Suzanne de Vos's mother by John Dinkelmann back in 2012 and later Jennifer Ann Goldhill added Abraham de Vos as her father. What were the sources? I'm happy we now have a translation of a primary record (thank you Daan) showing different provenance and two profiles Abraham de Vos and Jeanne Francomme essentially floating in the aether. Do we have any evidence for the existence of Abraham and Jeanne Francomme?

7/17/2018 at 5:58 AM

Drummond - did you see the Discussion from Suzanne deVos' profile about this?

Private User
7/17/2018 at 8:52 AM

Drummond, on Jean de Vos (Francomme) and Suzanne de Vos. It is interesting to note, under Suzanne de Vos' sources, June Barnes added a copy of a chapter (9 - From Flanders to Alsace) from Boucher's "French speakers at the Cape in the first hundred years of Dutch East India Company rule".

This is interesting as it mentions the various Huguenot families that arrived in the Cape.

More specifically, a Jean Francomme is mentioned on page 252 merely to say that Jean Nourtier was godfather to Susanne, daughter of Jean Francomme. Francomme's son, also Jean, became an elder of the Dover church and was still living there when the last service was held in 1731. It may be inferred that Jean Francomme is most likely a man and one possible reason why there seems a disconnect now that we have documentation on Suzanne de Vos, specifically connected to Pierre Jacobs.

Also on page 252 it mentions that the Jacob family arrived in the Cape in 1688 from Guines. Pierre Jacob was married to Susanne de Vos, of Flemish stock, and both families were from Vieille-Eglise. It notes that there were also other Vos and Jacob families in Calais.

One other Vos family it mentions lived in the hamlet of Nouvelle-Eglise, and another Susanne de Vos became the wife of widower Jean de Bus July 28, 1680. A Jean de Bus sailed on the Oosterland in 1688 and could be the same, but as the name is frequently encountered in the Guines registers, it cannot be confirmed. Here certainly is another Suzanne de Vos, and further evidences the problem with adding and merging without actual paper evidence confirming that these are the same Suzanne de Vos'.

Page 253 notes that Pierre Jacob and Suzanne de Vos brought three children to the Cape: Susanne (Sept 9, 1671), Daniel (Sept 14, 1673 and Sara (Oct 7, 1677).

Naturally, the book has the various references on their research - which I understand is quite extensive.

Private User
7/17/2018 at 1:15 PM

Sharon, which one there are 5 discussions total currently under Suzanne de Vos MP incl. this one? Would you mind linking the one you’re referring to here?

Valeta, thank you. We used Boucher’s book as reference in our article for Genesis on Anne Souchay; such a wealth of information in it.

I’m also curious about the link between Suzanne de Vos and Suzanne Briet as according to project they share the same mtDNA haplogroup (not uncommon, but curious and certainly an avenue for further research).

That explains re: Jean Francomme, what about Abraham de Vos in context of Suzanne de Vos?

Private User
7/17/2018 at 2:10 PM

Abraham de Vos is a bit of a mystery to me, I haven't found information on him and would love to see the information used when he was originally added as Suzenne de Vos' father. Boucher's book does make it clear that there were other de Vos', but I don't see any specific references to them. Furthermore, with other Suzanne de Vos mentioned, there is a strong likelihood that Abraham did have a daughter called Suzanne, but just not the Suzanne married to Pierre Jacob.

As for Briet, I can only confess to not knowing or having any information there either.

12/29/2021 at 11:25 PM

Private User says about this profile: Suzenne Absalon de Vos

Problem with female mtdna N1a descendants.
Mtdna N1a most likely origin Arabia.

So a mismatch somewhere

12/29/2021 at 11:45 PM

I'm not sure if plotting the connection between the two N1a testees might help establish a different common ancestor as a result of a paper trail error - but here goes: Private (Suzanne Taillefert 's descendant) and Johannes Pienaar (Suzanne de Vos, SM/PROG

Johannes Pienaar is Louw van Deventer's fifth cousin twice removed.
Louw van Deventer → Elizabetha Hendrika du Plessis van Deventer
his mother → Anna Elizabeth Erasmus Venter (du Plessis)
her mother → Marthinus Stephanus Albertus Erasmus
her father → Engela Wilhelmina Christina du Plessis Erasmus, b6c1d1e16
his mother → Pieter du Plessis b6c1d1
her father → Jan du Plessis, b6c1
his father → Petronella du Plessis, b6c1d7
his daughter → Catharina Maria Van Rooyen
her daughter → Nicolaas Marthinus Stephanus Prinsloo, b3c6d2e3f6
her son → Susanna Jacoba Elizabeth Prinsloo Ferreira
his daughter → Susanna Jacoba Elizabeth Ferreira Pienaar
her daughter → Susanna Jacoba Pienaar Rogers
her daughter → Sarah Corbett Rogers Pienaar
her daughter → Johannes Pienaar
her son

Private User
12/30/2021 at 1:28 AM

Should the mtdna not just follow mother to mother to mother ?

Private User
12/30/2021 at 1:30 AM

Suzanne to Sara Jacobs to Marie de Buis to ---?

Private User
12/30/2021 at 1:30 AM

Have to be on proper connection to add the line properly .
Will try tomorrow

12/30/2021 at 2:20 AM

Should the mtdna not just follow mother to mother to mother ?

Yes - was just a quick and dirty chance to see if families connect in a certain place, and then look for one woman who might be the link. Not that well thought out - you're right. But the fact that two SA Huguenot descendants have what is an extremely rare mtDNA for France, suggests that they're likely to be related somehow.

12/30/2021 at 3:49 AM

Here is a 3rd profile directly connecting N1A mtDNA to Briet

Private User

I've checked the mtDNA tree of Johannes Pienaar and it is correct and sourced and does go to Suzanne DE VOS. So we do have

Suzanne Taillefert

Suzanne de Vos, SM/PROG

different surnames, same names and mtDNA, but suspect both mtDNA results (here with 3 donors) incorrect for non-Arabian? And to date only N1A at the Cape...

So on N1A... it is rare in Europe but it IS found in 0.2% of Europeans (presumably currently). From Wikipedia copying: "The Africa/South Asia branch is characterized by the 16147G mutation, whereas the European branch is characterized by 16147A, 3336 and 16320. The Central Asian subcluster is an offshoot of the European branch that is characterized by marker 16189." so perhaps we need a bit more information regarding mutations/markers from the donors, as these mutations/markets thousands of years old..

Private User
12/30/2021 at 5:42 AM

Agree with Sharon and Jan
Such a rare mtdna in Europe definitely points to same origin.

Private User
12/30/2021 at 7:40 AM

If mtdna done by FTDNA then markers usually included.
Would be wonderful to place the mtdna origin.

Private User
12/30/2021 at 1:04 PM

https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.21376
"Recent paleogenetic studies have confirmed that the spread of the Neolithic across Europe was neither genetically nor geographically uniform. To extend existing knowledge of the mitochondrial European Neolithic gene pool, we examined six samples of human skeletal material from a French megalithic long mound (c.4200 cal BC). We retrieved HVR-I sequences from three individuals and demonstrated that in the Neolithic period the mtDNA haplogroup N1a, previously only known in central Europe, was as widely distributed as western France."

As Jan Marthinus Blomerus, b2..h1 has stated, we would need to look closely at HVR1, HVR2 and (especially) coding region for both samples, but N1a isn't out of place for France, based on the above.

12/30/2021 at 1:54 PM

in the Neolithic period the mtDNA haplogroup N1a, previously only known in central Europe, was as widely distributed as western France."

that's a long time away from when we're looking at, but, as you say - it does seem like the most likely explanation. Still: two women who emigrated to SA is quite a significant coincidence.

Private User
12/30/2021 at 8:46 PM

Courtain and van Loo origin likely Pas de Calais and Belgium.
Not very far from one another.

Private User
12/30/2021 at 8:53 PM

Modern mtdna N1a in Europe from Sweden, Norway ,UK ,Germany ,France,Belgium ,Poland on FTDNA

Private User
12/30/2021 at 8:55 PM

Lourens van Deventer is Mtdna U5 ancestor Françoise Martinet SM/Prog

Private User
12/30/2021 at 10:09 PM

Elisabet Gahide 1655 from Pas de Calais also N1a.
So that mtdna very likely from North West France / Belgium

Private User
12/30/2021 at 10:29 PM

Looking for N1a1a2 mtdna

12/30/2021 at 11:28 PM
Showing 1-30 of 43 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion