unknown Carter (unknown) - Wife of Henry Dawson - known since 2015

Started by Private on Monday, January 7, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 46 posts
1/7/2019 at 10:10 AM

I’m not quite understanding how that’s possible when Giles Carter IMMIGRATED -- Giles was in Virginis by 1653 - age 19.

1/7/2019 at 9:34 PM

Where in this book is there an association with the Dawson family?

https://archive.org/stream/gilescarterofvir00cart#page/32/mode/1up

Giles Carter of Virginia: genealogical memoir by William Giles Harding Carter
Author Carter, William H. (William Harding), 1851-1925

This request needs to be on the “slow” track. I will also alert the curator.

1/7/2019 at 10:17 PM

Calling my cousin Private User & descendant Mike Carter to this discussion. My understanding is Giles Carter was from Gloucestershire in England (as best we know) and was the 1653 (or earlier) Head right of Mr. William Fry, (750 ac 7 April 1653), as reported in “Cavaliers and Pioneers,” Vol. 1, p.276.

Do you know of anything suggesting otherwise?

1/7/2019 at 11:24 PM

BTW there were two different Giles Carters: the 1620 arriver on the “Supply” and the 1653 headright. The older man returned to England.

Private Writes:

“I am afraid that I have not in any research that I have sort,come across Chicayoke(Pendenako)Davis'son or have him in my Carter tree.

So I believe that his (Giles's mother) cannot be identified as Chicayoke (Pendenako) Davis'son.”

Private
1/7/2019 at 11:58 PM
Private
1/8/2019 at 12:01 AM

Also, you will note per Passengers, that the first Giles Carter father of Giles Carter returned to England and died there.

1/8/2019 at 1:23 AM

Notes on his origins:

Giles is often seen as a child of Gyles Carter & Elizabeth Tracey. However this is seemingly incorrect.
Note: The relationship between Giles Carter and Elizabeth Tracey produced no children. Plaque in Cold Aston church, Gloucestershire, tells the story and documents that they died with out producing an heir. Other research in England states likewise. It is important to realize that Giles MAY be of this family but he is NOT a son of Giles and Elizabeth Tracey Carter. Giles 1634 came to America, married Hannah (Crewes?)

Christening: 24 APR 1635 Cirencester.
Another researcher, Jean Mayo Hirsch discovered that in the baptism register of the Parish of Cirencester is the baptism of Gyles Carter, son of Theodor Carter, on 24 Apr 1635. This seems, indeed, to be the correct Giles.
In a deposition dated 1 Jun 1680, Giles Carter stated his age as 46. Certainly the name Theodrick Carter will be passed along among Giles' descendants, beginning with one of his sons!
Theodore Carter of Cirenchester Parish had at least five children baptized there: Mary on 26 Oct 1633; Gyles in 1635; Joane baptized 2 Apr 1637; Elizabeth baptized 24 Feb 1638, and Margery baptized 2 Dec 1641.

From

1/8/2019 at 1:25 AM

Sorry - here’s the citation

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/4:1:LYVJ-XHN

I don’t know if the evidence is firm to link this Giles as son of Theodor Carter, perhaps we should talk about that also.

1/8/2019 at 2:40 AM

Gises Carter
in the Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813
Name: Gises Carter
[Gyles Carter]
Event Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 24 Apr 1635
Baptism Place: Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
View this parish
Father: Theodor Carter
Source Citation
Gloucestershire Archives; Gloucestershire, England; Gloucestershire Anglican Parish Registers; Reference Number: P86/1 IN 1/1
Source Information
Ancestry.com. Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/4732/41511_636897_1094-00123?p...

1/8/2019 at 3:02 AM

And we need to revisit his wife’s parents:

Hannah Carter

From

http://oliverdreams.tripod.com/GilesCarter.html

The way the will is actually worded, however, implies that there was no close blood relationship. He named the blood relationship to other heirs, but no kinship relationship was mentioned concerning GILES or HANNAH. James Crewes’ leaving his property to his nephew precludes his having children. First, a man in Virginia was precluded by law from cutting his children entirely out of the estate. If he had children, a man could leave only one-third of his real estate to anyone outside his immediate family. That one-third was called “the dead man’s third.” [Reference: Women and the Law of Property in Early America, by Marylynn Salmon.]
Court records mention that James Crewes was “unmarried at the time of his death.” That didn’t mean he was never married, but that at the time of his death he had no living wife. There is a theory that “Margaret Crewes” [who witnessed some deeds] was the wife of James and was deceased before 1676. There is some evidence that this Margaret Crewes was nee Llewelyn. Much work needs to be done on these lines, however, to clarify several theories. [Henrico County Wills and Administrations, part 1, pg. 7]
Later lawsuits over the estate, and suits in an effort to collect debts owed to the estate, indicate that there was no blood relationship between our CARTERS and James Crewes. The only surviving children of James’ two [and only] brothers were Matthew Crewes and Sarah Crewes Whittingham. If James Crewes had had living children, his nephew and niece would not have inherited his lands.

1/8/2019 at 8:51 AM

Note the Gises is mistranscribed in Gyles Carter's Baptism record the descender or the Y is vary faint on my image leading others to believe it is an i . Old style dating was used too. The legal year 1635 started Mar 25 (Lady Day) I have:
The 24th day Gyles fillino Theodor Cartor this is 6 lines down on the page under April the date at the top of the page is 1635 *fillino is latin which indicates Father. And yes though this is not proven to be the father of Giles Carter of Henrico It is highly likely. Theodor also appears in the burial records when Giles was age 9 leaving him an orphan. Giles as an orphan would likely have to be indentured to travel to Va. The naming pattern of oldest son named after father may have been used in this case. This record was in Cirencester, Gloustershire, England

1/8/2019 at 9:33 AM

"Two and only" Brothers of James Crewes is an incorrect statement. James Crewes had 13 siblings that i uncovered in my research by 1675 though all were dead and only his niece Sarah Whittingham and nephew Mathew Crewes descendants of that family were still living. James made Mathew his administrator and never mentioned Sarah. In the court records to break the will of James Crewes was said to be a widower.

1/8/2019 at 9:55 AM

If Capt. James Crewes was a widower then this is incorrect also.

Maj. Gen. Abraham Wood w

Said to have been the second husband of
Margaret Wood

As an explanation for the parentage of Margaret Cocke

"A Genealogical Bombshell" by Charles Hughes Hamlin, Volume 55 (1967) pp. 95-97 shows: Margaret who married Peter Jones was the step-daughter of Abraham Wood. General Abraham Wood married the widow of James Cruse, who already had a daughter Margaret Cruse. The daughter Margaret Cruse married Peter Jones and later married second Thomas Cocke of Malvern Hill, Henrico County, who methioned her son Abraham Jones deceased and her son Peter Jones in his will.

If is Moriah Bland, {Fictional} who is thought to have has the Native American origin. I have not yet seen a contemporaneous citation for that however.

——

Mike, if there are missing profiles in this area (sounds like it) feel free to enter them into Geni.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 10:33 AM

I was wondering why Mary Totty (born Carter) AKA Mary Polly Carter Davis whay was her line cut? https://books.google.com/books?id=WtAeCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA310&lpg...

1/8/2019 at 10:52 AM

Private User Please post her Geni profile.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 11:00 AM
Private User
1/8/2019 at 11:00 AM
Private User
1/8/2019 at 11:01 AM

She was cut from Thomas Totty it looks like her 2nd husband.

1/8/2019 at 11:22 AM

Her profile references her second husband as JOHN ?? And has no children for her.

Thomas Totty’s wife was a Mary, I just made a profile for her:

Mary Totty

No reference to a Carter / Totty marriage here I find so far

https://books.google.com/books?id=hICIP8iheYEC&pg=PA176&sou...

Virginia Marriage Records: From the Virginia Magazine of History and ...
By Elizabeth Petty Bentley

Shawnee Heritage does not cite a source for Mary Carter as mother of Thomas Totty, 2nd

http://reynoldspatova.org/getperson.php?personID=I14343&tree=re...

Private User
1/8/2019 at 11:29 AM

Ok thank you Erica at least she has a profile now.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 11:45 AM

Mary is my 9th great grandmother.

1/8/2019 at 12:17 PM

Just as the will of James Crewes proves he left no widow (the court records state this fact) the will of Giles Carter sr. Proves no Totty connection. Giles Carter wrote his will in 1699 stating that his daughter Mary was at that time the wife of Thomas Davis Which precludes her from being married to Thomas Totty and having children with him in 1693 and 1695
There is a 1712 deed In Henrico which Mary wife of Thomas Totty relinquishes her dower right selling land so it appears this Mary was married to Thomas Totty from 1693 thru 1712 and a different Mary than the daughter of Giles Carter who was married to Thomas Davis in 1699.

1/8/2019 at 12:48 PM

The Will of Daniel Llewellyn an English born gentleman and resident of the turkey island area left a memorial ring to his daughter Marguret Crewes and her husband. James Crewes was Llewellyn's business associate. It is likely that Marguret was also born in England. At the time of Llewellyn's death he was married to Ann the widow of John Price Sr, and widow of Robert Hallom. She wound up owning several thousand acres in the Henrico county area thru grants to her and to her 3 husbands. The turkey island plantation of James Crewes once was her land first sold by her daughter to Edwards a cooper who later sold it to James Crewes. James Crewes would have married Marguret Llewellyn about 1657 as she signs deeds as Marguret Llewellyn before that time and as Marguret Crewes in 1662. There is nothing in contemporary records showing James Crewes married an Indian woman. He did own by the records two male indians as slaves; John Tero acquired about 1661 and a younger Indian man shown in his inventory.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 5:49 PM

1691 August 25th Court [Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol., 33, No. 1 308 Com: Hen: ci 25th die Aug:ti A:o Dom: 1691] [p. 380] Att an Orphans Court held at Varina for the County of Henrico the 25th day of Aug:ti by their Ma:ties Justices of ye peace for ye sd County A:o Dom: 1691 Aqo regni Regs et Reg nae Guil: mi et Mariae 3:d Tho: Totty having lately marryed the Relict & Widdow of Tho: Davis dec'd & possess'd himself of the estate altho noe Acc:t hath yett been given thereof to ye Court, that care may be takend to secure ye same for ye sd deced;ts Orph:s he having been now dead above nine moneths; It is therefore Order'd that ye sd Tho. Totty & his wife be sumon'd to ye next Court to give acc:t thereof.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 5:51 PM

1691 December Court [Henrico County Records Book No. 2, 1678-1693 Com: Hen:ci pro die Decemb.s A:o Dm 1691] Tho: TOTTY & __________ his wife according to Order of the last Court prsenting the Inventory & Apprizemt of her former husband Thomas Davis's estate & it appearing to be under the value of an Admcon It is therefore order'd that ye same doe remain in his Custody as Trustee thereof he giving security for ye same. Geo: Hunt in Open Court enters himself security With Tho: TOTTY the Trustee for ye estate belonging to ye Orphs of Tho: Davis dec:d.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 5:52 PM

1691 Dec. 1st Inventory [Henrico Co. VA Will Book #3 1688-1697 page 263] Inventory of Thomas DAVIS appraised 28 Nov. 1691 by order of court Oct 1st last. Value 765 lbs tobacco By William DODSON, Francis MAYBERRY, George HUNT, and Henry VADEN. Presented in court by Thomas TOTTY and his wife Mary TOTTY, late relict of Thomas DAVIS. Recorded 1 Dec 1691.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 5:54 PM

1691 October Court [Henrico County Records Book No. 2, 1678-1693 Com: Hen:ci pr:o die Octob:s Anno Dom: 1691] Tho: Totty & _______ his wife late Relict of Tho: Davis dec'd being by Order of ye Orph:s Court sumon'd to prsent an acc:t of ye sd deced:ts estate did this day prsent a List of ye same at the time of his death about three years since as she alledges; but the same being imperfect & only recited, in a peticon to bestow ye same on her, & there being two of ye sd deced:ts Orph:s alive, for prevencon of an injury to them & for ye more Regular proceeding of the Court, It is Order'd, That Francis Mabury, Will: Dodson, Geo: Hunt & Hen: Voden doe between this & the next Court apprize what remaining estate of ye sd Davis's the sd Totty hath in his possession or they can come to ye Knowledge of & that ye sd Totty's Wife does prsent A full acc:t of ye sd estate of her Oath to ye next Court; Mr Peter Field is hereby requested & appointed to swear the sd Apprizers.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 5:57 PM

1709 June 30th Deed [Henrico County, VA Deeds 1706-1737, Compiled by Benjamin B. Weisiger III,©1985, pg 21] page 173 Francis LEADBEATER of Bristol Parish, Henrico Co., in consideration that George HUNT will provide for me and my wife for life, do give him 4 indian slaves: Sarah, Tom, Hannah and Moll and all other personal estate Dated last day of June 1709 Wit: Wm DOTSON(sic), Thos (T) TOTTY Signed: Franicis (FL) LEADBEATER Recorded 1 July 1709 Acknowledged in court by LEATBEATER'S attorney Essex BEVILL

1/8/2019 at 6:04 PM

Nice !

http://reynoldspatova.org/getperson.php?personID=I6734&tree=rey...

Likely all children of Thomas Totty; he was probably married before Mary Carter so this would be a 2nd marriage for them both.

——

Can you set up a first wife profile for Thomas Totty Sr?

Showing 1-30 of 46 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion