Started by Private on Sunday, January 27, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 144 posts
Private
1/27/2019 at 3:22 PM

SmartCopyConsistency Check:Elizabeth Proctor born before the birth of her mother Alice Marriott.Elizabeth Proctor born before the birth of her father Matthias Marriott.George Proctor born after the death of his mother Elizabeth Proctor.

6/14/2019 at 12:24 AM

Findagrave has

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/162904425

W/O John Bishop, Major William Marriott, and George Proctor of Bacon's Rebellion

Disconnected from impossible parents.

6/14/2019 at 12:39 AM

Additional notes:

From https://www.houseofproctor.org/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I26...

“I have a correction for you as to Elizabeth's birth and death- She was born as you say 1621 in Jamestown Colony,VA, and she died on Jan 9, 1672; Southwark Parish, Surrey, Virginia. Also, there is a discrepancy about her parents. The Matthius Marriott and Alice Warren listed are actually her son and daughter-in-law by William Marriot (m.1642) That she married in 1642, before George. Three or four sites say her father is Thomas Burgess and she was the spouse of Ezra Perry. “

6/14/2019 at 12:46 AM

Except we have a Maj. William Marriott, of Surry & Susannah Marriott as the parents of Matthias Marriott who married Alice Marriott ..

6/14/2019 at 1:12 AM

Tagging Private User & Debbie Gambrell & Private User

I now think Maj. William Marriott, of Surry is the same person as Maj. William Marriott, of Surry & Elizabeth Burgess was possibly the mother of Matthias Marriott unless he has a 1st wife before Susannah Swann, who died without issue in 1660 after 8 months of marriage. Actually a 1st wife is the only way Mattias is the son.

But we have date discrepancies up the wazoo, especially on the Proctor children. So - who was George Proctor, of "Bacon's Rebellion" 1st wife?

I think Elizabeth Norton m a Thomas Marriott in 1790 is the source of the Norton name.

This study has good source references

https://www.houseofproctor.org/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I26...

6/14/2019 at 1:27 AM

From https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Marriott-43

3 July 1683. Indenture between Sam Thompson who married Mary, only daughter of Maj William Marriott, deceased, and Thomas Mathas of the other part, land adjoining Nicholas Sessums, 150 acres at Sessums Swamp, etc. Signed: Thos. Flood, Wm. Thompson (Samuel Thompson, born Abt. 1656 in Connecticut; died Abt. 1720 in Surry Co., VA. He married Mary Marriott before 03 July 1683 in Surry Co., VA; born 1663; died before1721. So marriage probably 1676-1682)

6/14/2019 at 1:39 AM

Tyler (Encyclopedia of VA) has Alice Warren, sister of Thomas Warren b 1621, as wife of Major William Marriott, of Surry; and Mary his daughter as wife of Samuel Thompson.

https://books.google.com/books?id=CWiel4PVkEkC&pg=PA352&lpg...

6/14/2019 at 2:30 AM

Marriot was alive on 5 March 1672 but dead by 7 May 1672 when appraisers were appointed. A settlement was ordered on 2 September 1673 and an accounting was presented on 21 November 1673 by Nicholas Merrywether as "trustee of ye sd Marriots will". Because the accounting was complicated by numerous small debts and there was "more than ordinary trouble in it", George Proctor (who married the widow) was ordered to finish the accounting. The same court appointed Proctor and Merrywether as joint guardians of William Marriott, the orphan of William Marriott (implying that William was under 16)

Bottom line, it sounds to me like he had two children, William and Mary. William died before 1682 and the daughter married Samuel Thompson.

Genealogy Genforum Posting December 15, 2002 Bob Baird

——

Since William & Mary were minors in 1672 they were the children of Elizabeth Proctor

If Matthias Marriott was a child of William Marriott, he’s from the 1st wife Alice Marriott

He married a Warren. Is there sufficient evidence to keep them attached as father / son?

I’m going ahead with the merge, feedback more than welcome, children of George Proctor need the next sorting.

6/14/2019 at 4:02 AM

From https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/marriott/467/

It seems most unlikely that he was the son of Maj. William Marriott, unless there was more than one William Marriott living in Surry County at the same time.

6/14/2019 at 4:11 AM

Elizabeth Moseley Why she married to a Catlett, daughter of a Thompson, and showing a Moseley name ?

Suzan Martin ?

6/14/2019 at 5:04 AM

In fact all the children of Katherine Thompson May need review.

Marriage Notes for William Thompson and Katherine Treat:

The Boston records show that Katherine and William were married by Governor John Endicott.{N.E. H. G. Register, Vol II, p 210.]

Children of William Thompson and Katherine Treat are:

Catherine Thompson, born in Connecticut.

Samuel Thompson, born Abt. 1656 in Connecticut; died Abt. 1720 in Surry Co., VA. He married Mary Marriott5 before 03 July 1683 in Surry Co., VA; born 1663; died before1721.

——
From the profile notes for Rev. William Thompson, of Surry

Samuel Thompson Will will in 1720 leaves everything to brother, sisters, nieces and nephews. His will was made 20 Sept 1720 and probated in Surry Co., VA 17 May 1721. [Surry W & D II 1715-1730, pp 334, 335, 336. He left " the land at Cypress Swamp to my brother, Wm. Thompson, not to be sold, but to any child of his. To my nephew, Samuel Thompson, my entry at Three Creeks, and land at the head of Crouches' Creek, that I lately escheated, 200 acres, not to be possessed by him until the death of my wife Mary and the death of his father William Thompson. To my brother, Wm. Thompson, my land at Meherrin that I bought of Wm. Braswell, at the death of my wife, Mary. To cousin Wm. Moseley, land upon Nottoway River between the forks of Atamoosack, it being 200 acres, provided he will come to it and live on it himself; if not, the land to go to my brother, William Thompson and cousin Samuel Thompson, after his father's death; to brother William Thompson the land where Thos. Higgs lives. My wife to enjoy the profits of all my lands, my brother and cousins to live on them, then at her death, all the rest of the land not mentioned in this will to my brother William; where I live to cousin, Samuel Thompson; if he die his share to cousins Katherine Thompson, William Thompson, John Thompson, and William Moseley and Mary Moseley, equally divided. To my "necey" Elizabeth Thomas [daughter of Mary Moseley by her first husband John Catlett--hence niece] a gold ring that was given to me by my father--Posey, being prepared to follow me, W. T. to Wm. Marriot a seal ring that was my wife's father's ring. To cousin, Robert Payne, gold buttons and shirt buckle. To cousin [nephew] Samuel Thompson, all my Doctor's books, Prayer books and Divinity Books." Makes brother, William Thompson, executor. Wits.: Wm. Foster, Samuel Alsobrooks.

6/14/2019 at 5:10 AM

Does that sound like wife Mary Marriot had died, his widow was Mary, and he had a former wife’s relative called William Marriott? So who is that William Marriott?

It looks like his only (surviving ?) sibling was William Thompson & the Thompson & Moseley cousins belong “nearby.”

6/14/2019 at 6:57 AM

Got Benjamin Moseley hooked to his wife’s family - Elizabeth Moseley had been missing her parents.

6/14/2019 at 8:22 AM

Erica, you've really put some work into sorting these folks out. Much appreciated, I'm still looking over all you're shared.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 8:45 AM

Right now all this is making my head spin, but maybe it will become clearer later. For the moment, I'll post this line from https://www.houseofproctor.org/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I26... about the wife of Samuel Thompson. Who is not necessarily the same Samuel Thompson you're talking about, since it's a common name.

" Page 323: a 7 November 1682 accounting which shows George Proctor paid in right of his wife one-third of the estate, and the rest to Samuel Thompson who married the "surviving of ye two orphans" Mary."

6/14/2019 at 9:39 AM

"Historical Southern Families. Volume II
Swan of Swan's Point"

I do not know how to share a jpeg here so will add to Susanna Marriott (Swann) MEDIA section

Susannah Marriott

6/14/2019 at 10:22 AM

Ancestry trees and Rootsweb disagree on the parents of Thomas II. I have not researched them much. I think Geni is going the route that Rootsweb has. Thank you for your work on this line, Erica Howton

Private User
6/14/2019 at 11:47 AM

Geni is showing that both the wife and mother of Matthias Marriot was named Alice Warren, with different parents for the two Alices. It's certainly possible, but it's also possible that there's really just one Alice being assigned to two different roles.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 12:13 PM

According to Geni, the Alice Warren who married Matthias Marriot was his first cousin, daughter of his mother's brother Thomas. The Wikitree listing for Thomas has details on his will, which does not mention a daughter named Alice: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Warren-2289

The Geni profile for Capt. Thomas Warren has several pairs of children with the same name, so there may be some duplicates in there.

On the other hand, the Geni profile for Matthias Marriott indicates that his wife was a Marriot: "Marriot Research Log 1673 July 23 - Mathias & Alice Marriott sell 400 acs. on Gray's Creek ("Smith's Fort" formerly in possession of Thomas Warren & adj. to William Marriott's land on so. sd. James River) to John Salway. [Record Book 1671-84, p. 30] - Note: This was deed to present day "Warren House" that was conveyed to Mathias Marriott under prenuptial agreement after his wife, Alice, inherited it when her brother William Warren died in 1670."

It also shows him engaged in a LOT of lawsuits, so if he in his wife weren't remembered in the family will, it might be because everyone hated him.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 12:21 PM

Make that "his wife was a Warren". Please forgive any other mistakes, my brain doesn't seem to be firing on ANY cylinders today.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 3:07 PM

I'm getting the impression that Maj. William Marriot had a second wife, and may have had one or more children with her. The profiles currently show that Alice Warren Marriott died in 1660 and William Marriott died in 1672. The dates could always be messed up, but we also have this:

"Will and Order Book
July 2, 1672. Petition of George Proctor, who married the relict of Major William Marriott.
Sept. 4, 1672 Court proceedings show that the wife of George Proctor was formerly the wife of Major William Marriott, and before that the wife of John Bishop. Francis Mason was guardian of John Bishop, orphan."

This is the marriage career that's ascribed to Elizabeth Burgess.

Regarding the comment from https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/marriott/467/ that "Surry County, VA, records [Book II, p 323) have reference dated 7 November 1782. Estate of Wm. Marriott, deceased, Dr. to Jno. Moring, Admr. of Mr. Geo Proctor, Est.
Amt. due Mr. Samuel Thompson as marrying ye surviving of ye two orphans"

Could the "two orphans" be children from William Marriott's second wife who were minors at the time of his death? It seems odd to refer to adult children as orphans, and the children with his first wife were adults at the time of his death. The quote above is dated 1682 and his will his 1672. If that's not a typo, it looks like 10 years have passed, and his daughter Mary has finally received her inheritance. Maybe the will called for her to receive it when she married.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 3:12 PM

If we accept that Elizabeth Burgess (or some other 2nd wife) is the William Marriott widow who married George Proctor, we then come to the question of "who is the mother of the George Proctor born in 1667?"

William Marriott's first wife would have been too old to have children with George Proctor if we have the wrong death date for her and she actually survived William. But a second wife could have been young enough to do it. If William's death date was earlier than 1672 and/or George Junior's birthdate of 1667 is a few years too early, then George Junior could easily be the son of George Senior and the widow Marriott.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 3:18 PM

I just noticed something. ""Surry County, VA, records [Book II, p 323) have reference dated 7 November 1782" That's 1782 not 1682. Either there's a typo or we're talking about people in a completely different century. Does anyone have access to the book so they can check the date?

Private User
6/14/2019 at 3:21 PM

That quote was from https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/marriott/467/ which has another instance where they wrote 1783 but apparently meant 1683. So any dates on that link should be treated with caution and double checked with other sources if possible.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 3:33 PM

Rev. William Thompson, of Surry has the quote with a date of 1682, so my comments about a second wife and minor children at the time of William Marriott's death still hold up. Furthermore, it looks like one of "ye two orphans" died in the ten years that apparently passed since William's death.

"Surry Book II, p 3223. 7 9ber 1682. Est. of Wm. Marriott, deceased, Dr. to Jno. Moring, Admr. of Mr. Geo. Proctor, Est. Amt, due Mr. Samuel Thompson as marrying ye surviving of ye two orphans, out of which 1500 is to be paid and deducted from funeral charges of the dec'd orphan by order of Ct. Rec.: of Mr. Thompson in right of his wife 9ber 1681, ex. and settled Maj Marriott's estate. Witnesses Wm. Browne, Wm. Edwards."

An alternate explanation is that William Marriott died in 1682 not 1672 and one of his "orphans" died at about the same time. If that's the case then it would be hard for George Proctor Junior to be the son of the Widow Marriott. I'm interested in Margaret Proctor, the daughter of George Junior, who was born in 1690 and married Elias Sharpe. Her birthdate doesn't work if George Junior's birthdate is much later than 1672.

6/14/2019 at 5:42 PM

I had noticed the date typo of 1782 and matched against different transcriptions, it’s 1682.

Bob Baird, who is an expert, had obviously done some work in this area, at least posting. He has terrific explanations on interpreting court records etc on his site:

https://genfiles.com/

The first thing to understand clearly is use of the term “orphan.” Unlike today, it refers to fatherless, not motherless. So if a minor child was referred to as an orphan, do “not” assume her mother was also deceased.

His article on that:

https://genfiles.com/articles/orphans-guardians/

6/14/2019 at 5:50 PM

I should also mention that in Samuel Thompson’s 1720 will, he uses the term “cousin” to describe people we would today call nieces & nephews (or grand nieces & nephews). That will is a fabulous genealogical resource as it “proves” into several collateral families.

6/14/2019 at 6:05 PM

William Marriott was dead sometime in 1672 when his relict was married to George Proctor, so that’s a firm date.

Therefore widow Marriott cannot have been the mother of any Proctor child born before then.

Susannah Swann married George Proctor in 1660 and died 8 months later without issue. We have a good record on that, and hopefully her pedigree is accurate on Geni. Note: we can link uploaded to geni profiles media on discussion.

I’m not sure I understand Elizabeth’s supposed 1672 Death date. But in the event, she cannot have been the mother of the next George Ambrose Proctor, II

(We had not enough George’s on Geni compared to House of Proctor! So I recreated the profile (above). It’s going to be confusing in this area. )

If Tyler’s Encyclopedia of Virginia is accurate, the 1st George married a very early Alice Warren. (House of Proctor doesn’t seem to address this - they have no mother listed for the 4 Proctor children, nor do they mention the brief Susannah Swann marriage).

https://www.houseofproctor.org/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I26...

6/14/2019 at 6:09 PM

So because of the previously missing George Proctor b c 1647, Margaret Sharp moved “down” a generation and to a mother with a curious name & parentage (HOP has her as Mary unknown)

Mary Proctor

6/14/2019 at 6:22 PM

Back to Marriott. We know that he had 2 underage children in 1672, William (dead by 1682) and Mary who married Samuel Thompson (by 1683). Mary would have been at least 16 in 1683, therefore born no later than 1667.

These children cannot have been from widow Marriott who was married elsewhere in the 1660s.

So we have an unknown 3rd wife - after Susannah Swann in 1660 & before widow Marriott in 1672 - as mother of Marriott’s orphans.

I’ll make a profile and move them over.

Logic check appreciated!

Showing 1-30 of 144 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion