John Solomon "Salmon" Kimbrough - Ancestry of Solomon John

Started by Private User on Saturday, May 11, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 26 posts
Private User
5/11/2019 at 2:22 PM

The problem here is the name. This person is Solomon John Kimbrough. Father is John Kimbrough II. Grandfather is John Kimbrough I from Scotland. There is also a John Kimbrough the 3rd in VA. I believe is a brother. The facts have all gotten mixed together about all these individuals and applied to Soloman. He is not native American He did, however, marry a native American and it was NOT Elizabeth Polly Sherill. She was maiden name Corzine and married Adam Sherill another fur trader. Solomon John, Called "Salmon John" by the Native Americans married Morning Moon. Cherokee. Polly Do Yo Sti a Cherokee. was the wife of their son George Lightsky about whom there is also much confusion as the name Lightsky, 'Leyestisky' which many interpret as "Light Appearing in sky" Actually boils down to simply "Moon" His Mother morning moon. There is a sister Summer Moon and I believe the Grandfather is Fox Moon. Solomon ended up in Tenn. Ga. area and his descendants appear on Dawes rolls under Kimbrough name and in early census in Ga. Lightskys married into other tribes and do show descendants in Chippewa tribe. You can Google and research a little and find the records you need. This is all off the top of my head and I do not have all the references handy.

5/15/2019 at 12:38 PM

Hi Kathryn Forbes

I’m wondering if you can help out with some of the documentation Tom Kettle mentions (ie, Dawes Rolls for the Kimbroughs).

5/15/2019 at 1:26 PM

“Lightsky”/ “Leyetisky” are non-existent, so have no descendants. The Dawes Roll was created between 1898 and 1907 in Indian Territory. It has nothing to do with anyone in Virginia where the Cherokee never lived. The John Kimbrough on the Dawes Roll lived in Indian Territory and was the son of a Cherokee woman named Sarah Gardenhire and her white husband John Kimbrough. This is the only family named Kimbrough on the Daws. They were related to the Pathkiller family in Tennessee.

5/15/2019 at 2:36 PM

Much appreciated.

Private User
5/17/2019 at 2:35 PM

Ref: Cherokees never lived in Va. http://www.virginiaplaces.org/nativeamerican/cherokee.html When the English arrived in Virginia, the Cherokee lived in the upper Tennessee River tributaries of what later became Virginia. In the Carolinas and Georgia, there were Cherokee towns along the Savannah, Chattahoochee, Hiwassee, Little Tennessee, and Tennessee rivers.
After traders based in Charles Town started direct trade with the Cherokee, they classified the Cherokee towns by location. The Lower Towns were in the Savannah River headwaters. The Middle, Valley, and Out towns were in the Blue Ridge along the Tuckasegee, Little Tennessee River, and Hiwasee rivers. The Overhill Towns were further down the Little Tennessee River.
Other Cherokee communities stretched north up the Tennessee and Holston Rivers into what is now Virginia. Towns were independent of each other; there was no paramount chief. Warriors regularly assembled from multiple towns to raid the Creek and Choctaw to the south, Chickasaw to the west, Sara to the east, and Shawnee and Iroquois to the north.

Ref: Leyetisky being non existant and therefore having no descendants: https://chenocetah.wordpress.com/tag/leyestisky/
Eastern Cherokee Treaty Signers Leyestisky, Turkeytown Treaty

Private User
5/17/2019 at 3:54 PM

Leyestisky may be a corruption of Oolitiskee. As far "Light appearing in sky" I think that is simply a romanticised translation using phonetics and probably not true. Cherokees were very involved in French Indian war and some from the lower towns ended up in the North fighting as far as Ohio, Canada. Some stayed in the North. I have Big Kettles (John, Steven, etc.) in Ga., Tenn. as well as in the Senecas. John and Steven and Jacob. who fought then remained up north.

5/17/2019 at 4:03 PM
5/18/2019 at 5:48 AM

The Cherokee never had towns in what is now Virginia. The first English men to visit the Cherokee and return to tell about it were Gabriel and Arthur in 1673. The had to cross the mountains in North Carolina and then go south to get reach a town. They travelled 15 days south before they found the Cherokee town. The Cherokee fought and hunted over a large area, but they didn’t live in Virginia. That is either a misunderstaning of historical facts or wishful thinking. There were many small tribes in Virginia when Europeans arrived and some remnants may have been absorbed by the Cherokee, but if that happened there is no record.

A small group of Cherokee lived on the Ohio River with the Shawnee after the Cherokee War but they returned to the Nation in 1794.

There is no mention in any record of an early Cherokee man named Leyetisky or anything similar.

Private User
5/18/2019 at 10:35 AM

Help me out with the 1817 treaty that is being referenced on the internet with the signers name Leyetisky. Is this a fraudulent representation of a treaty? Fraudulent name added to the treaty? What is the misunderstanding there? Someone make this one up?

Private User
5/18/2019 at 10:58 AM

I am not finding the 1817 treaty on your project page.

5/18/2019 at 1:13 PM

I see the name signature in page 5 of the blog link:

https://chenocetah.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/eastern-cherokee-treaty...

Turkeytown Treaty [Treaty of the Cherokee Agency, 1817]

Beaver Carrier ... Katchee of Cowee ... Kelachule ... Leyestisky ... Richard Brown ... Sour Mush ..

5/18/2019 at 1:20 PM

On the project page, There’s this one:

Treaty of 8 July 1817 [need text and link]

——

And this one:

CHEROKEE AGENCY, January 6, 1817.

We, the undersigned Chiefs of the Cherokee nation, do hereby grant unto Nicholas Byers, Arthur H. Henly, and David Russell, proprietors of the Unicoy road to Georgia, the liberty of cultivating all the ground contained in the bend on the north side of Tennessee river, opposite and below Chota Old Town, together with the liberty to erect a grist mill on Four Mile creek, for the use and benefit of said road, and the Cherokees in the neighbourhood thereof; for them, the said Byers, Henly, and Russell, to have and to hold the above privileges during the term of lease of the Unicoy road, also obtained from the Cherokees, and sanctioned by the President of the United States. /S/

In witness whereof, we hereunto affix our hands and seals, in presence of - -

John McIntosh, (L.S.)
Charles Hicks, (L.S.)
Path Killer, (L.S.)
Tuchalar, (L.S.)
The Gloss, (L.S.)
John Walker, (L.S.)
Path Killer, jr. (L.S.)
Going Snake. (L.S.)
Witness:

Return J. Meigs, United States agent.
The above instrument was executed in open Cherokee council, in my office, in January, 1817.

Return J. Meigs.

CHEROKEE AGENCY, 8th July, 1817.

The use of the Unicoy road, so called, was for twenty years. Return J. Meigs.

——-

Which seems different in subject matter. But it tells us to look in the papers of Return J. Meigs.

5/18/2019 at 1:30 PM

Kathryn Forbes this tree is wrong Col. Return Jonathan Meigs, Sr., Indian Agent - he should connect to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ross_(Cherokee_chief) tree. Can you take a look while I look for his actual parents on Geni?

5/18/2019 at 2:31 PM

Fixed parents, this profile needs his, though. John Henry “Jack” Meigs

Private User
5/18/2019 at 2:47 PM

Ref. John Kimbrough who married Elizabeth Bradley several of their children died in North Carolina indicating a move from VA. before 1743.

5/18/2019 at 5:47 PM

Here’s the full text of the “Treaty of 1817”

https://www.cherokeeregistry.com/index.php?option=com_content&v...

5/18/2019 at 5:49 PM

(Also here: Documents of American Indian Removal By Donna Martinez Page 26)

https://books.google.com/books?id=8mR2DwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA26&ots...

5/18/2019 at 7:07 PM

“Leyetisky” exists in exactly one place, that name on the treaty. It’s real, but there is no way to know what that man’s name actually was since he appears in no other record. The name could have been garbled by the recorder or the transcriber, it could be just wrong, the man may have died soon after, changed his name, anything. He has no wife, children, or descendants since he exists nowhere else. He is not connected to anyone living in Virginia in the 18th century.

5/18/2019 at 8:15 PM

I think Oolitiskee could have been the same as Leyetisky but there’s nothing but Oolitiskee‘s Name on treaties also.

https://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/treaty-of-september-14-1816.htm

Private User
5/19/2019 at 8:45 AM

Thank you Erica and Kathryn.

Private User
5/20/2019 at 10:32 AM

Just a note that may be of interest to researchers. Kathryn noted The John Kimbrough on the Dawes Roll lived in Indian Territory and was the son of a Cherokee woman named Sarah Gardenhire and her white husband John Kimbrough. This is the only family named Kimbrough on the Dawes. They were related to the Pathkiller family in Tennessee.
Leyetisky name appears on the same treaty with Pathkiller. leyetisky purported to be linked to Solomon John Kimbrough. Probably worth a little effort to determine if a relationship Pathkiller / Kimbrough, Leyetsiky / Kimbrough. Not looking to rile anyone up here just may be an investigative lead.

5/20/2019 at 5:52 PM

The Pathkiller on the treaty is a different man who lived in the Alabama part of the Cherokee Nation. The Gardenhire’s lived in Tennessee.

Private User
5/21/2019 at 10:41 AM

Thank you.

12/2/2020 at 7:50 PM

I'm under the Discussion tab on the profile for Col. Return Jonathan Meigs, Sr., Indian Agent and the posts from last year seem to be about other people.

Anyway....Wikipedia says this about the father of Col. Return Jonathan Meigs Sr. : Meigs was born in Middletown, Connecticut, on December 17, 1740, to Jonathan Meigs and Elizabeth Hamlin Meigs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_J._Meigs_Sr.

This would mean the name of the father connected as Lt. Return Meigs is incorrect, although the mother is correct.

12/2/2020 at 7:52 PM

I don't know why all the Kimbrough discussion is under this tab, just making sure my earlier post is noted as being for Col. Return Jonathan Meigs, Sr., Indian Agent

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion