Margaret Beaufort - Help ...

Started by Annber Lynn Collins on Monday, June 21, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
6/21/2021 at 7:56 PM

Trying to figure out this line. Shows two paths on my father's side as a 17th Great Aunt and a 19th Grandmother. A few inconsistencies in the path. Please view at this link.

https://www.geni.com/inconsistencies/path?from_id=60000001242605508...

6/21/2021 at 8:22 PM

Sir Roland Velville, of Beaumaris is a ‘hotly contested’ bastard son of Henry VII, King of England and a French woman, whom we know nothing of.

Margaret Beaufort was indeed the mother of Henry VII, King of England whose father was Edmund Tudor, 1st Earl of Richmond Interestingly, a year ago I stood at the sarcophagus of Edmund Tudor and took a picture of it, at Saint David’s Cathedral in Southern Wales (he is my 16th GGF, Margaret my 16th GGM through Henry VII, and through the Bastard son: Roland-Velville.)

I don’t know much about Alexander Montgomery, Jr. nor his daughter Anna Montgomery

Hopefully, someone else can come to your rescue there.

6/21/2021 at 8:59 PM

Not sure what happened but it appears different. Now on my father's side it says: 19th Grandmother and( Margaret Beaufort ) is your 10th great grandmother's husband's fourth great grandmother. Not my 17th Great Aunt anymore. I'll investigate futher. Thank you for taking a look.

6/21/2021 at 8:59 PM

Not sure what happened but it appears different. Now on my father's side it says: 19th Grandmother and( Margaret Beaufort ) is your 10th great grandmother's husband's fourth great grandmother. Not my 17th Great Aunt anymore. I'll investigate futher. Thank you for taking a look.

6/22/2021 at 8:51 AM

It just might be the Geni.com system.

For instance:

Margaret Beaufort is my 16th GGM (according to Geni.com, now) whilst, by two of her three husbands (yes! Three!)

Edmund Tudor, 1st Earl of Richmond ia my 16th GGF

And, Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby
Is my 16th GGF via George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange of Knockin

In other words: there was so much inter-marrying going on, and inter-marrying within familial relationships, that it’s no wonder that the term endogamy exists! And your connection via one line may change in another.

Remember, if we ‘drop back’ a couple of generations to John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, 1st Earl of Richmond he married thrice:
Blanche of Lancaster
Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster
Constance of Castile, Duchess consort of Lancaster

It is from Katherine Swynford we get the Beaufort line, which had never existed prior.
From Blanche, the Lancastrian lines.

(I descend from both Beaufort & Lancastrian!!). and their offspring meets later in time to re-marry & re-connect…such that your GGF on one line may end up as a GGUncle!

6/23/2021 at 6:21 PM

Thanks for the reply again. =) Pedigree Collapse and endogamy does make it more complicated. So usually I'll run the lines from each of my parents to whatever profile I sm works with. Sometimes I'll be related in 3 ir 4 ways. Seems they all married close then came to America and all married each other. We share most of the same Grandparents you mentioned. I see Geni has us as double cousins. If I ran it from my mother's line to you it probably show the same. Thank you for your help.

7/1/2021 at 9:16 PM

Since Geni only shows one "path" (of each type, 'blood' and/or 'in-law'), they can change depending on merges or other changes. Sometimes a previously-found path will be "restored" by simply forcing a re-calculation of the path (clicking the little circle-of-arrows); if that symbol is not visible ... wait a few days or a week and it should be visible later. (Re-calculation of paths is resource intensive, so doing that action is constrained to prevent over-use).

7/2/2021 at 6:34 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I've played around with the feature and it is fun,for sure. I understand that it changes because of merges as well or a collaborative effort. I figured out the issue. It was the Montgomery line. I merged instead of isloated and delete the duplicates. My fault. I was taking one step without fixing the other issue. Also it seems the Montgomery line is two diffrent men. One Alexander whom married Anna Sutherland and the other with unknown parents,which makes a huge difference...but its a MP and all I can do is document it for now. So for now it runs to Henery IV as my Grandfather with Margaret as my Grandmother. So I need to figure out the correct Montgomery to make that connection with documentation. Margaret would also marry into the Stanley line which would make 1st Earl of Derby an Uncle but Step-Grandfather,🤣 down the line because they would marry in England then came over to the USA and married here too,their decendents.I have Stanley's but controversy runs on that Stanley line...So because of Endogamy I've learnt to run the lines from each of my parents to help straighten out the lines.

Thank you for your kind response.

7/2/2021 at 8:48 PM

Also, you may find the "HistorySearch" tool useful to check ancestral paths; there are options on it to help identify where there are parental conflicts in the paths needing work.
https://historylinktools.herokuapp.com/history - direct link
https://www.geni.com/projects/HistoryLink/14021 - Geni Project with description

7/3/2021 at 6:30 AM

@Dan

Thank you for tools. My goal is to have it correct. Ive foumd a few error in my own and I'm working to fix them as I know my two lines are solid but this one is mixed up. I should decend from another line. Excited to check the tools out. Thank you!

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion