Why is Rabbi Leo Baeck included in this project?

Started by Private User on Monday, December 13, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
12/13/2021 at 10:03 AM

Rabbi Dr. Leo Baeck

I just happened to notice him listed among "Notable Reich Refugees / Emigrés," but he was neither. He was certainly notable, but he never left Germany until after the war: he was a Holocaust survivor, not a refugee.

Private User
12/13/2021 at 10:52 AM

Private User, he was a Holocaust survivor and a refugee. This seems like a concern about semantics. One could argue that since he went to Terezin, he indeed did leave Germany during the war. What is your point?

12/13/2021 at 11:10 AM

It’s a silly list in any case including people who are children of refugees, people killed in the holocaust (after first being refugees) , among other things. Not of much genealogical value to my mind.

Private User
12/13/2021 at 5:17 PM

Amy Wolff, my point is a simple (and, I think, obvious) one: Rabbi Baeck was in NO sense a refugee or an emigré from the German Reich. Terezín was within the German Reich, and even if it had not been so, to be forcibly interred in a concentration camp or a ghetto under German control is not to emigrate or find refuge. To dismiss this incontestable fact as a matter of "semantics" is utterly disingenuous.

Ralph Michael Silverman, in light of Amy Wolff's reply, your point seems to me legitimate, though it is disappointing to me. I thought that this group was intended to live up to its name, but the reply of Amy Wolff indicates that it does not do so and therefore is of no value.

12/13/2021 at 5:57 PM

Private User Thank you for making an important observation. However, Rabbi Leo Baeck's supreme dedication to helping Reich Refugees escape intimately connects him with them. ie.

https://www.jmberlin.de/en/topic-leo-baeck

Despite countless appeals and opportunities, Baeck refused to escape into exile. He helped others to leave Germany, but he himself remained to represent those who had no way of escaping. In 1945, after it was liberated, he moved to London, where his daughter had already been living since 1938.

The Council of Jews from Germany appointed Baeck as its president. This union strove for the representation of Jews who had fled Germany to different countries, working to secure the return of their property that had been stolen or seized during the Nazi era, for example. [Source](https://www.jmberlin.de/en/topic-leo-baeck)

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion