Rabbi Yehudah HeChassid - Discussion of Connection Between Yehuda HaChassid and Akiva HaCohen Katz of Salonika

Started by Private User on Monday, December 20, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
12/20/2021 at 10:39 AM

This is a topic that has been alluded to before and I bring focus to exclusively here..

A good place to begin is whether or not Yehuda HaChassid is a Levite or not, keeping in mind that since Yehuda HaChassid is a patriline descendant of Kalmen HaZaken Kalonymos, the determination as to Yehuda HaChassid would affect whether the entire Kalonymos line is Levitic or not.

Haim Wartski, HaCohen on 12/13/19 you reported that according to Wakstein and other sources. "The Maharsha family is the Levim family, and they are direct descendants of Samuel the Prophet.
On the other side of the Maharsha family, they are direct descendants of Rabbi Yehudah HeChassid, but he is not from the Levi family..." Then on 11/11/21 you recollected: "If I remember correctly, Wakstein told me that Rabbi Yehuda was from a Levite family and therefore Rabbi Akiva could be his descendant only through an ancestral mother." Could you please clarify your current views on this subject?

On another aspect, it seems that Yehuda's nephew Shmuel ben Abraham married the daughter of Yehuda's 1st cousin's son Meir Abraham ben Todros HaLevi Abulafia, RaMaH who was himself born in Zaragoza, Spain (note the HaLevi designation of this family on the subject of whether Yehuda HaChassid is a Levite). Another son of this same first cousin, Yosef HaLevi Abulafia leads to descendants in Burgos, Toledo, and one in Seville. So there is a geographical connection between the family of Yehuda HaChassid and various locations in Spain. Intuitively, I believe that Rabbi Akiva Hakohen Katz, ABD Saloniki (Alter of Salonika) would have most likely been associated with Toledo and Burgos rather than Zaragoza or Seville: this is because the Jews who went to Portugal were more likely from the former than the latter. So I suppose an initial research hypothesis could be that R'Akiva is somehow related to the Yosef HaLevy Abulafia family.

Of course depending on the answer to the first question above, if it seems that Yehuda HaChassid was not Levitic then that would raise questions about the GENI tree connecting his patriline with that of these HaLevi branches that went to Spain, and in that case there would no leads connecting Yehuda HaChassid with Spain. So it seems important to try to really secure an answer to the Levitic question, if possible.

12/20/2021 at 11:42 AM

Private User

I spoke with Wakstein on this subject two years ago, and if I remember correctly: the Maharsha is a direct descendant of Shmuel the Prophet (and of course they are both from a Levite family)
however, the Maharsha is a descendant of Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid, but through ancient mothers. .. I do not remember that Wakstein saying that Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid was from the Choanim family, for one simple reason: we did not mention Rabbi Akiva Kaz at all.

Private User
12/20/2021 at 11:46 AM

Private User I see our friend Harlow's name all over some of those profiles above, so best to double check all of them!

12/20/2021 at 12:12 PM

Private User Private User

The Maharsha is now connected in geni as son after son to Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid, and as I wrote, the Maharsha is his descendant through ancient mothers, so need to check every name between the Maharsha and Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid,and fix, and find out who the ancient mothers were.

Private User
12/20/2021 at 12:16 PM

Haim Wartski, HaCohen Thanks for the reply. If I am understanding correctly then based on your information it could be possible for the Yehuda HaChassid patriline to ALSO be Levitic.

Private User There is a conundrum: if Harlow profiles are 'locked' and he is unresponsive to discussion, why bother trying to improve the branches where these profiles appear?

Returning to the main issue: let me pose the question from the other direction: what evidence is there that the old Kalonymos family (Meshulam Kalonymos Hagadol etc.) is a Levitic lineage?

12/20/2021 at 12:20 PM

I should add that the people who opened the profiles in geni were not wrong, in rabbinic literature these names appear, because many years ago someone wanted to connect the Maharsha to Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid as son after son (for religious people, this is important, ), so they invented a list that was partly incorrect, and it was copied to many books

12/20/2021 at 12:23 PM

Private User

To the best of my memory Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid was not from a family of Levites,

12/20/2021 at 12:30 PM

Private User

I do not know Harlow, but this week Samuel Kam explained to me about him... I think
That curator in geni can enter any profile even if it is locked, and correct / delete details written in it

Private User
12/20/2021 at 12:30 PM

Private User I don't mean "don't change stuff", but rather "don't assume anything you see is correct" when it comes so Harlow. We definitely do need to fix the huge mess he left.

There's a lot of info on the Kalonymous family (with references) on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalonymos_family. Nothing says anything about them being Leviim.

I've looked through a number of books on my shelf (Ben-Sasson, Seltzer etc). There's tons of biographical sketches of various members of that family, but nothing that indicates either Cohanic or Leviitic status.

12/20/2021 at 12:57 PM

Private User

I looking for information about Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid, I found some information that could clarify the subject a bit. I attach information from two books:
https://beta.otzar.org/#/b/105732/p/-1/t/1640033077219/fs/NemLgWN2Q...
and
https://beta.otzar.org/#/b/157682/p/13/t/1640033077219/fs/NemLgWN2Q...
It should be noted that in no source is it written that he is from a Levit family, it is also written that the Maharsha is his descendant

12/20/2021 at 1:01 PM
Private User
12/20/2021 at 1:37 PM

What I am gathering so far is that a) there is no evidence of a Levitic ancestry in the old Kalonymos family, b) there is no evidence of Levitic status for Yehuda HaChassid (which would make sense as he is a descendant of the Kalonymos family), and c) the Maharsha is definitely HaLevi.

If all of the above holds water then there are some major corrections to propose in order to detach Levitic branches from the Yehuda HaChassid and Kalonymos tree: 1) Rabbi Dov Berish Halevi Ashkenazi who is the first person designated HaLevi on the tree descending from Yehuda HaChassid, should be severed from Moshe Zalman ben Yehudah haChassid; 2) the Todros Abulafia, Halevy branch, which is clearly Levitic, should be severed from Rabbi Yehuda ben Kalonymus I believe this would take care of the major status conflicts.

In any case, for the purposes of this discussion it now seems that there won't be any obvious leads into Spain from or near Yehuda HaChassid. This means I have no clues as to how he could be related to R' Akiva.

Nothing further......

12/20/2021 at 1:52 PM

Private User

As for the Maharsha (who is from a family of Levites), and as for Rabbi Yehuda (who has no proof that he is from a family of Levites) it is true
Regarding Rabbi Yehuda Akiva and being a descendant of Rabbi Yehuda, if the origin of Rabbi Akiva is from Spain, and the origin of Rabbi Yehuda is Ashkenazi, I wondered who was the ancestor of Rabbi Akiva and how did she get to Ashkenaz? Or vice versa, it is possible that Rabbi Akiva had an ancient father who came to Ashkenaz and married there, and they returned to live in Spain.
Otherwise, I have no idea how Rabbi Akiva is a descendant of Rabbi Yehuda (although many sources write so)

Private User
12/20/2021 at 4:04 PM
Private User
12/20/2021 at 7:36 PM

Itche Zalmanov Can you she any light on this 5 year old discussion? Are you okay with separating Rabbi Dov Berish Halevi Ashkenazi from Moshe Zalman ben Yehudah haChassid or do you know something we aren't aware of yet? Thanks if you are still monitoring.

12/21/2021 at 12:32 AM

Private User

In the discussions in the "ozar hachohma" forum, to which you attached the link, there is a link to Wakstein's remarks on the subject, which confirms what I wrote: The Maharsha himself testifies that he is a descendant of Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid, but the connection is through ancient mothers
There were those who wrote the relationship as son after son, but the things they wrote were not true.
I must make another remark that I have encountered many times on the subject:

For a reason I do not understand, many religious people who are descendants of an important person in Jewish history, but the connection is through ancient mothers, changing the family tree of their families and writing that the connection is son after son, the things they write are copied to many books, thus fiction becomes "true".

Private User
12/21/2021 at 8:13 AM

As someone in the discussion wrote: רוב כתבי היוחסין הם הזיות ודמיונות.

It would be great if someday I am able to obtain a ydna identification for the old Kalomynos family. On GENI at present there appear to be no modern patriline descendants of the old Kalonymos line, but maybe it is because genealogist haven't yet connected this big and widespread family with more modern families.

Private User
12/21/2021 at 9:07 AM

A few years ago I was wondering if possibly Klonimus, The Hassid of Speyer father of the first Shapiro, might be connected to the old Kalonymus line that went to Speyer (for example: Rav Kalonymus "HaZaken"). At that time I dismissed the idea because the Hassid of Speyer line is not Levitic and II was under the false assumption that the old Kalonymus line is Levitic. Since it is now presumed that the old Kalonymus line is not Levitic, I am wondering again about the possibility that the old Kalonymus line becomes the modern Hassid of Speyer (Shapiro) line. This is highly speculative: a research hypothesis requiring much more evidence to establish. If provable and since we do have a ydna identification for the Shapiro line (G-FGC11007), this would mean the old Kalonymus line may also be G-FGC11007. Thinking speculatively, are there any other modern lineages that may be able to connect circumstantially to the old Kalonymus line?

12/21/2021 at 10:19 AM

Private User

First, from a very bad experience with the forum on the site "ozar achohma" I would not attach much importance to the things written there, and I would check everything without trusting them.

Second, unfortunately for religious people women are not really considered, but only son after son, and therefore, quite a few genealogies of great people in Judaism have been changed the family tree, to show that they are descendants son after son to someone important.

I am a descendant of the Klonimus family from a large number of branches, but, it is always through my grandmother and her mother.

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion