Rebecca Pitman (Wood) - Was Rebecca Pitman really a Clevenger? What evidence is there?

Started by Karl David Wright on Friday, February 4, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 36 posts
2/4/2022 at 3:17 PM

Jonathan Pitman was born in New Jersey, around Monmouth County, and went hence to Bedford County PA and points west. Web trees insist that his only wife was Rebecca Clevenger.

However, there is now DNA evidence that Jonathan's last known son, Ephraim, had a mother who was a daughter of Joseph Wood and Johanna Daniels. Alternatively, she could be the daughter of another member of the same Wood family Joseph came from.

Web trees give an exact marriage date for Jonathan Pitman and Rebecca Clevenger in 1772, and Rebecca's birth date is exactly known as well. There is no place of marriage given, however. And when I look for a marriage record, there is no matching one I can find.

I did find a marriage in Monmouth County between Jonathan Pitman and a Bowen, in 1771. So now it is even more crucial that I know where this unfindable marriage actually came from, because there are a lot of possibilities. The marriage date could be bogus and have no source. Maybe Jonathan married Ms. Bowen first, and much later married Widow Clevenger in Ohio. Or maybe there never was any evidence a Clevenger married Jonathan at all.

My question is a bit more basic: what evidence is there that Jonathan Pitman in fact ever married a Clevenger? And, if so, how could it have transpired that his last son is seemingly NOT a Clevenger, but rather a Wood?

2/4/2022 at 3:18 PM

Erica Howton, calling you in.

2/4/2022 at 8:31 PM
2/4/2022 at 9:50 PM

DAR & SAR records list Rebecca Clevenger as Jonathan Pitman’s 1st wife and Ephraim Pitman’s. I’ve updated the people as

Daughter of George Clevenger & Deliverance Clevenger

Disputed Origins

Speculated as daughter of Jacob Wood & Johannah Wood

2/5/2022 at 1:23 AM

It's too bad there isn't a more formal way to handle disputed parentage in GENI that would allow the computation of relationships!

I've reviewed the line of descent from Ephraim to my Wood DNA match, and there is no chance of any other way the Wood DNA could have gotten in there. There are other mystery people I can research deeper for this match but none of them look good at this time. The confluence of place and time with the Woods is quite compelling for a Rebecca Wood.

I note that the evidence of a Clevenger marriage is still not based on any formal record - but DAR, to which trees have been submitted. So it's all just web trees still! Without a record, or at least a document, or a book reference, or a recollection of a close descendant, a Clevenger marriage remains in the realm of hypothesis as far as I can see. Where did this come from?, it's fair to ask. The fact that there are multiple choices of Clevenger parent for her also seems to point at lack of evidence a Rebecca Clevenger ever existed. I was hoping for something slightly more definitive here.

Still, there's no requirement that what's in GENi, or DAR for that matter, be 100% accurate.

2/5/2022 at 1:27 AM

And, yes, I'd take DNA evidence of a Clevenger relationship here as well. But that's harder.

2/5/2022 at 1:31 AM

One of her children named Rebecca Clevenger in his death record as mother:

"Ohio, County Death Records, 1840-2001," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F6NY-Q9V : 1 March 2021), Rebecca Clevinger in entry for Johnathan Pitman, 24 Jan 1872; citing Death, Preble, Ohio, United States, source ID v, County courthouses, Ohio; FHL microfilm 564,962.

2/5/2022 at 1:36 AM

You need to hear from Clevenger researchers, of which I am one: Rebecca Clevenger shows as my 1st cousin x 8. I’ve been uncertain whether her father Is George or Abraham Clevenger for a dozen years, but have never heard or seen that she’s anything but a Clevenger by birth.

The Pitman ancestry is uncertain also, but notice that he has siblings also marrying Clevengers. So there is no doubt the families are affiliated.

What is your DNA test condition? If it’s just about Ephraim Pitman descendants, have you compared his sibling descent?

2/5/2022 at 1:43 AM

Although finding siblings to test against could be problematic, as his children are as uncertain as his parentage:

http://www.adkinshorton.net/getperson.php?personID=I7112&tree=ah

• Several problems exist with Isaac as parent of Jonathan Pitman, even though the SAR & DAR accepted that information when submitted. Basically, there is no known original record reference supporting the connection between these two men. Compilations of collected tidbits of information, assembled to look official for the purpose intended (sometimes for a book), do not take some things into account, and make assumptions about relationships, sometimes even stating that they've done so...which is true of the DAR documentation. For instance, the DAR record states it is assuming certain people are Jonathan's sons, and yet his will does not include them and there are no records indicating these relationships (specifically Simon, Pierson, Daniel and David). These could be sons, but could as easily not be sons.
  • Many have accepted William Pitman and Hannah Kimble as the parents of Jonathan. However, just as with Isaac, there are no documents supporting the actual relationship between this couple and Jonathan as their son.
  • There is also a leaning toward Joshua Pitman being the father of Jonathan, but again no documents have been discovered to prove such a relationship.
2/5/2022 at 1:54 AM

https://www.clawsonfamily.com/Pittman.pdf

Comments: As for the ancestry of Abraham Clevenger, Mr. Robert Pittman of Canton, Illinois, Mr. Charles Hall of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Dr. & Mrs. L.C. Allison, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, H.M. Wallace, et. al. have researched the Clevenger and Pittman families extensively and we suggests that the children of George and Deliverance (Horner) Clevenger were: John, born 1738, marriedon 9 March 1760 in Monmouth County, New Jersey by B.M. John Dickerson, and John Brown to Mary Horner, daughter of Isaac Horner of New Hanover, Burlington County, New Jersey; Thomas born circa 1740; Abraham born 1741, married on 9 March 1760 in Monmouth County, New Jersey; to Mary Pitman, the same day by the same ministers that married his brother John and Mary Horner; (Mr. George Griffiths of Tempe, Arizona, in his book entitled Clevengers-Pioneers and Descendants wrote: I have reasoned that Abraham was the son of George on the basis that first, George was the only logical father for a son born in 1741. Secondly, Abraham migration pattern parallels that of George and family in that Abraham was in Virginia circa 1773 even though he then settled in Bedford County, Pennsylvania (which he probably had the opportunity of seeing and evaluating en route to the Shenandoah Valley), finally circumstantial evidence suggests that he was a brother of John; Benjamin, born circa 1753; Asa, born circa 1748; Joseph, born 15 September 1750; Nancy Ann, born 1752; Eben , born 1755 and a twin brother to Edwin; George, born circa 1756, possibly in Frederick County, Virginia. We are now finding supporting documentation however, more research is needed.

2/5/2022 at 2:18 AM

For the record, these are my digested notes for this particular chromosome overlap:

Private (135763071 - 151974719)
-David Wood hypothesized descendant via Hannah Hildreth
Private (138614699 - 155016307)
-Proven descent from John Wood, proven via mother's line
Private (138614699 - 153718969)
-Proven descent from John Wood, mother of Glenda
Private (142411868 - 153718969)
-Proven descent from John Noah Mellott son of Amelia "daughter of Jacob"
Private (135763071 - 147329204)
-Hypothesized descent from John Noah Mellott via Fergusons
Private (137789970 - 154128067)
-Hypothesized descent from John Noah Mellott via Collins
Private (143344074 - 154128067)
-David Wood hypothesized descendant via Betsey Bemis
Private
-Evidence that Martha Roberds is really Martha Wood, via Martha Roberds
Private (142411868 - 153718969)
-Evidence that Rebecca "Clevenger" is really Rebecca Wood, via Rebecca Pitman

These matches come in three flavors: (1) descendants of John Wood, born 1739 in "New York City", died in Leeds County, Ontario; (2) descendants of early residents of Bedford County, PA - the "Mellot - Pittman - Roberds - Truax - Palmer - Clevenger" group, who emigrated together and intermarried together for at least three generations; (3) marriages to wives of known Wood or unknown surname in the vicinity of Grafton, VT.

2/5/2022 at 2:20 AM

So in this sourced study,
< “Descendants of Richard Pitman”>, which covers plenty of Clevengers, neither Capt. Jonathan Pitman nor Rebecca Pitman are seen.

Let’s leave them both parentless, pending more research.

2/5/2022 at 2:29 AM

Joan Elizabeth Marshall - do you know anything about this Clevenger / Pitman family, or can point us to resources?

2/5/2022 at 3:00 AM

Thanks, this is confirmation of a sort of the Clevenger relationship. It doesn't explain the DNA but it does put a firm basis on Rebecca being a Clevenger.

As for sibling matches: I can't go seeking for matches that confirm a picture easily, but if I get a DNA match that goes via a sibling of Ephraim, or even Ephraim himself, you'll be the first to know. I'm just making the best use I can of the DNA match information I have currently.

2/5/2022 at 3:07 AM

I think leaving Rebecca parentless makes complete sense. Not sure about Jonathan. I mean, he's definitely a Pitman of New Jersey and that does restrict things a lot.

2/5/2022 at 3:11 AM

On second thought, there's enough confusion about who Jonathan's parents are that you are probably right.

I wouldn't peel off his children as of yet though. On the other hand it would be interesting to find out that Ephraim was not actually a son of this family. He's in the right place at the right time, but so are a number of other Pitmans, seems to me. Maybe that is the answer to this riddle.

2/5/2022 at 4:37 AM

So if the next thing for me is to dig into the ancestry of Ephraim Clevenger Pitman , then should I open a discussion for him? I note that he's said to be born in Hamilton, Butler County, OH, and married to a McClelland from Pennsylvania - which usually doesn't mean New Jersey for McClellands, so that probably rules them out. But if he's a son of another son of William Pittman a Wood marriage might possible. I'll look into it.

2/5/2022 at 5:28 AM

I've looked at Ephraim Clevenger Pitman in great detail; he was born not in Butler County, OH but rather Hamilton County, OH. There is a marriage record for him dated 1818 there. This is the county that Jonathan and Rebecca died in, so everything lines up.

2/5/2022 at 5:33 AM

Other Pittmans that could be Ephraim's father might include William Pittman, Jr. , who seemingly was mentioned in a will. If he'd gone to Hamilton County also, and he married a Wood granddaughter, this could explain the DNA. But we'd something more real for him before going that far. Early census might tell us.

2/5/2022 at 10:57 AM

I looked for Pitmans that lived in Hamilton County OH in 1800 and 1810. Only one: Jonathan.

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&amp;dbid=3567&a...

I did stumble over evidence that the Pitmans who went to Ohio did not do so all in one wave. Here is one of the New Jersey Pitmans who was born in 1810, in New Jersey:

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/19807290:8054?tid...

So it looks like the Pitman clan arrived in Ohio after 1800, but between then and 1820 or so, and not all at once.

2/5/2022 at 11:34 AM

< 1834 Will of Jonathan Pitman >

I’ll probably download and attach to profiles.

An Amos Clevenger is named executor along with son Calvin Pitman.

Step son?

2/5/2022 at 12:09 PM

Excursis:

Shobal Vail Clevenger
Born 22 October 1812
Middletown
Died 23 September 1843 (aged 30)
Occupation Sculptor
Shobal Vail Clevenger (22 October 1812 near Middletown, Ohio – 23 September 1843 at sea) was a United States sculptor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shobal_Vail_Clevenger

https://www.bostonathenaeum.org/about/publications/selections-acqui...

2/5/2022 at 6:08 PM

Yes indeed, could be stepson. If so, Rebecca was not born a Clevenger after all. Wow, this is great, because I've been pulling my hair out one at a time trying to find another descent from Wood.

2/5/2022 at 11:49 PM

It's written more clearly than I'd gotten on first reading. "Beloved friend" does not sound like "stepson" I fear. Let me look and find out when Amos might have been born. He's certainly not a son-in-law.

2/5/2022 at 11:57 PM

Amos Clevenger is thought to have been born 1796, in Pennsylvania (e.g. Bedford County):

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/154847596/person/1...

He lived in Hamilton County OH in 1830, and according to census was born no earlier than 1790.

So he is too young to have been a stepson. Wife's nephew, perhaps. :-(

2/6/2022 at 3:57 AM

So, without Rebecca being a Wood, these are the people I'm left with as possible links:

Lana Jackson (Husband is immigrant from England; from census; only web tree disagrees that Lana is parent)

First Wife of William Johnson

Elizabeth Harvey (Canadian from Ontario, married an Englishman, Catholic apparently)

Lucy Hungerford

Wife of Nathan Bennett (Close to Claverack NY so plausible for that reason)

2/6/2022 at 12:38 PM

Shobal Vail Clevenger

His biography notes that “ The family line on the paternal side has been traced back to the year 1700, when John Clevenger, of New Jersey, signed a petition to the king for "better government of East Jersey." (Appleton’s Cyclopedia).

2/6/2022 at 12:41 PM

It’s the Abraham Clevenger / Mary Pitman family to be found in Bedford County, PA. I’d look there for this Rebecca Clevenger / Jonathan Pitman, and at the Pitman family history.

2/7/2022 at 12:11 AM

I can't just go looking, although I can revisit the DNA match's tree and look for possible errors. In this case, she's actually a Pitman, so at the moment she appears to be a direct descendant of Jonathan. But it's entirely possible there's an error. That will be the next thing to look at, since all the other possibilities are remote and I'd have a hard time choosing between them either.

In the meantime I'm researching another match on the same stretch of DNA. The match is quite interesting and is an adopted half African American / half Sullivan County NY English / Dutch / German. The African American half is from Calvert County, MD, and can be traced only back to about 1810 - and it's missing huge chunks that seem difficult to surmount. The Sullivan County NY one has been more amenable, but no Wood connection, but a definite Person of Interest here: John Witheral . If I can find any mention of a Staten Island or Hempstead-area Witheral, this would be our guy, or rather his wife would be, I'd guess.

2/7/2022 at 12:22 AM

And, yes, Bedford County PA is a huge "tell" that we're on the right track. I still cannot tell if the Woods ended up there because the people their daughters married are sometimes unstuck badly in place. Example: Theodoreus Mellott . His place of birth in web trees is given variously as New Jersey, Little Egg Harbor NJ, or Bedford County PA (where his early children appear to have been born). His (locked) place of birth is none of these. His GENi mother was born in Monmouth County, NJ. His GENI father was born in Maryland. Jim Wile said that his parents had married in Maryland and then gone north into Pennsylvania - and yet he's one of a number of Mellots all associated with Bedford County. So I believe his history is much more likely to be one of being born in or around Middlesex County NJ and following the standard migration path to Bedford County PA. And I think his Maryland father is just name confusion among two different persons. But I can't fix any of that myself :-(.

Showing 1-30 of 36 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion