ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 31-60 of 8939 posts

Reading back this discussion we should realize that GENI is used by many different people with different objectives and different backgrounds. They also have different expectations and use of the system. It is of course not black and white, but we can consider the EXPLORER versus the RESEARCHER.

The EXPLORER is an amateur for who GENI is also a basic source of information. He (or she) is happy to accept the work of others and hopes to find many ancestors and relatives on the system. He is not really working with a plan, checking facts is not for him and he leaves the hard work to others. He is attracted by the ease and friendliness and without GENI he would not be into genealogy.

The RESEARCHER is more a professional for who GENI is just a tool that can help to show and share his work with others. He is critical and well documented and proud of his results. He will not easily accept a profile of someone else. He is happy with GENI, but without the system he would continue his genealogical work.

Probably the EXPLORERS form the majority of users and their numbers will keep growing, GENI would be wise to somehow accommodate both groups.

Nicolaas,
that IS precisely what the Curator group is for, to reduce the mess in the tree, so that it will be most authoritative and usable to all.

Leonard Calvert

I have labeled three generations down from Leonard as work in progress. I need to find documentation onf the connection between the Quakers of Delaware to the Lord Baltimore's of Ireland.

Both Calvert families came from Yorkshire, and took alternate paths away from the English church. I am finding multiple parentage ideas for the Quaker Calverts, some of which include duplicate names with different dates.

I'm currently thinking the connection is real. I'll put my sources in ASAP. Thanks for any opinions.

Hi, visit the Calvert yahoo group for detailed research.
Delbert Calvert Hiestand

Private UserJanet, you might find something here http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~quakers/

Are there any curators familiar with the Huguenots who came to Manakin Virginia? I have a dead end with my Agee line.

Also my Scot/Irish Kellys and Stirlings who came to Pennsylvania from Ballemena Ulster. I know they were Presbyterian and my aunt said her father told her "we are not Irish, we are Scots". I can't find anything to link them to Scotland.

Eldon,

Can you put in the URL (or tag the profile with the @ sign) to the top ancestor for your Agee, Kelly and Stirling?

I have a fair amount of Scots lines and have noticed that more than one spent a generation or two in Northern Ireland. So your aunt's comment makes sense to me. Proving it out? More difficult, depends on time and place and records ...

Erica,
I know the Ireland problem, just thought someone could help. Right now, my modem is dying and a new one is not due till Monday or Tuesday, so I may be offline for a while.
OK, after 2 hours, I still can not access the tree to get the URLs. Will keep trying but probably wont be able to do it until the new modem arrives.

Question:
I have seen several profiles of persons around 1800 - 1850 which were no public, so no information at all is visible. What is the policy here?
In my view, hundred yrs is a good limit, older than that no possibility to hide, younger it can depend on circumstances.

My question too! LOVE the shoes BTW.

I will let someone more experienced explain the generational rules and evolution of policy.

As curators we are focusing efforts on the clearly historical database roughly 1650 on back. Curators have the ability to "zap zombies," which are clearly historical profiles marked as "living" and therefore "locked and private." If you run across them please post them in the "zombies" please discussion:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000008897331095

However the script calculates three? or four? generations to a living person so will fail on 1850's or so forward.

Could someone of you please give Frans II Sforza, Duca di Milano:
Francesco II Sforza, Duca di Milano
his reight parents, who is Ludvico and Beatrice

Günther Kipp
Hi Günther!
That was easier said than done.
I think it is due to the claimed profile of Caterina Sforca.
Possibly that is causing problems in the area.
Caterina Sforza, contessa di Forli

Private User

Nicolaas,

I realize I did not answer my *personal* approach for my own family and the profiles I control.

With my parents permission (and they are in their 80s), my direct ancestors / great aunts and uncles have public profiles if deceased more than a few (like five) years.

Susanna,

Are you reporting this to the help@geni.com so it can be unclaimed? I also see Caterina has collaborators? Perhaps one of them can ask her to "go public" ?

It appear Robert has two wives which mat be the problen . I have him in my tree but I aonly know abot the wife that leads down to me. But thatls perhapes why there are more than one set of parents. , Judy

Susanna:
Have sent a ticket to Helpdisk!!

Miles Standish <Capt. Myles Standish, "Mayflower" Passenger> has too many parents. Please someone clean him up.

Mark,

Thanks for that catch. Captain Standish is part of the Mayflowerites, so I'm taking the case.

Jurusha Sampson <Jerusha Bartlett (Sampson)> has too many parents. Please someone clean him up.

Mark,

I will take Jerusha Sampson as well as that is likely related to the Captain Standish snarl.

@Mark, it looks like Mimi Arcala cleaned up Robert Harcourt for you. If I am unsure about the parents or spouses of someone from the medieval period, I generally do a search of the Medieval Lands (FMG) database http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/Search.htm as my first place to look. If I can't find them there then I look for a wikipedia profile about the person or the family dynasty.

Yes Eric Captain Miles Standish was one of main people to srr in Plymouth . Infact he is the one as the story goes that asked John Alden to go to priscilla Mullins to ask in his behalf for her hand in marriage and she relied Why don't you speak for yourself John? One of my friends is a direct defendant of John and priscilla Alden. Miles was married to a Winslow. She latter eas married to a Paine. paine eventurally married mary taylor the half sidter of my taylor William Taylor. mary was the dau of James Taylor the Tres of the Mass Bay Prov. and Elizabeth his first wife. William Taylor my five time great grandfather,was the son of same James Taylor and 2nd wife rebecca Clarke/Clark.

Yes Eric Captain Miles Standish was one of main people to srr in Plymouth . Infact he is the one as the story goes that asked John Alden to go to priscilla Mullins to ask in his behalf for her hand in marriage and she relied Why don't you speak for yourself John? One of my friends is a direct defendant of John and priscilla Alden. Miles was married to a Winslow. She latter eas married to a Paine. paine eventurally married mary taylor the half sidter of my taylor William Taylor. mary was the dau of James Taylor the Tres of the Mass Bay Prov. and Elizabeth his first wife. William Taylor my five time great grandfather,was the son of same James Taylor and 2nd wife rebecca Clarke/Clark.

Would a Curator care to comment on this discussion

http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000009928223937?msg=60000000099...

Hello @Angus--you've had 3 curators weigh in now at http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000009928223937?msg=60000000099..., so I hope that helped!

Robert Drury has been merge with Robert Darcy, he has a set of incorrect parents and the wife Lady Elizabeth Tyrell Darcy (deceased) does not belong with him, she is also attached to Robert Darcy.

I think I was able to get all the children in their correct places but Geni will not let me break the connection with the wrong parents and wife.

Sir Robert Drury, MP, Speaker of the House of Commons

Thank you for any help.

Hi Carole,

Can you put in the links to the correct parents and wife?

This is a link to the correct wife, he is already connected to her and I have a profile that is linked in with others but I do not have permissions with the main and have requested to merge, (Geni will not let me unlink mine).
She is also connected to a Duplicate of Robert Drury which has the correct parents.

Anne Drury

If you are not able to use the profile of Anne Calthorpe here is the link to the other duplicate for Robert Drury which will connect with the correct parents.

Sir Robert Drury, MP, Speaker of the House of Commons

Thank You

Joan Plantangent and Joan Beauford are stacked here and I can't undo these 2..keep getting a tech difficulties message. I tried doing some other stuff first, removing wrong relationships from the first profile, but still didn't work. There are 2 different Joan's merged into Joan Plantagent to begin with which need to be dealt with afterward, but this needs to be un-merged first.
Thanks!

Showing 31-60 of 8939 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion