The profile you requested has been merged into this profile.

ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 6391-6420 of 8939 posts

about what are you 'verbijsterd'? is is a problem for curatores to handle the smart-matches or what?

JMu curators have no special access or insight into SmartMarches. So I cannot answer the question Alex Moes raised. Hence - baffled.

Erica Howton

thanks, I did not know yet.

1) click on Help at bottom of page
2) far right side, click on submit ticket
3) it gives me the following message:
User is invalid
Email: has already been taken

then it sends me through a whole series of error messages

Richard (Rick) Gary Simon I'm sorry to hear the system is giving you issues. Can you ensure that you are logged in to the help area before clicking on that button? That may be why you are getting the errors.

the help desk can be accessed at help.geni.com

no offense - but that is EXACTLY where I was & it will NOT let me enter a ticket. Please do a better job in reading next time

FYI - and I have no idea if it has anything to do with Rick's problems, but My Heritage made me log in again this morning.

Drolli it's similar, yes.

Geni help is hosted on different servers & every day (i think) you need to authorize / authenticate your credentials before doing anything but view

I just tested on my phone & I was asked to login 1st - down at the bottom of the screen

(Sign in) (Go to full site)

In the browser view - when I went to the full site - the "login" hyperlink is in the upper right hand corner (tiny)

I hit that and THEN I can open a ticket

Needs step by step screen shots doesn't it. :):)

There seems to be some strange behavior when attempting to login to the helpdesk, but only for some users.

Richard (Rick) Gary Simon I had the same issue that you did. I am having an engineer investigate the deeper issue so that the transition between sites (geni.com and help.geni.com) is seamless and error-free.

In the meantime, can you click on the 'forgot password' button below the login form you see, and then use what is sent to you to login to the help.geni.com site? I know it's more manual, but may just be a stopgap for a short time. I had to do a similar flow, but still need to login separately when I go to the help section.

I'll try to expedite the permanent fix. Thanks for your patience.

I appreciate your attempt at assisting - but I have already tried that. It tells me the e-mail is already taken. Of course it is - it is my e-mail.

Talk about a really stupid system !!!!!!!

Alex - my guess - programmers inadvertently made a change they didn't mean to while focused on something else - then caught and "fixed" it. Anybody else have a different guess?

(that's re: "Can anyone explain why i was able to approve Smart Matches all morning? It's stopped now." )

...maybe the marriage between geni & myH is not ceremonial yet, but a fianciee, to be tested....:-)

Sorry Alice Zoe Marie Knapp, you are not within the family range of any of the profiles, so we are not allowed to merge these with the private profiles for you.

Private User Okay, I'm confused... they are the same tree... while I understand that I'm not a close family range, I could see the profiles when I tried to merge them, which is why I requested those ones to be merged.

The parents/spouse were already merged into the big tree, therefore they are duplicates and the manager has abandoned her tree, with no replacement manager. Somehow I thought if they were part of the big tree that the curators could merge the profiles in this case.

I was just trying to clean up the tree....

Alice Zoe Marie Knapp
I asked the managers of these profiles to merge these and most are done now

all done now!

Thank you Fred Bergman and David Lee Kaleita for your help in understanding this. Where would I post the information for Geni to see?

Richard (Rick) Gary Simon and Private User - Our helpcenter is supported by a separate vendor, so Geni doesn't have full control over their code. We are in the process of updating our single-sign on mechanism with them, and this should alleviate the problem entirely. I will make sure this gets taken care of quickly.

Alice Zoe Marie Knapp, as you can see, Geni is monitoring these discussions.

Fred, Private User is within the 5-radius of Elisabeth Vlugt's grandparents.

Alex Clayton White - My comment above was not about the Help Center - but I do have a problem with how it works, which perhaps can be addressed while you are having them address this other issue.

In order to login to Help, you have to log in to Geni - then you have to remember to both log out of Help AND log out of Geni in order to be logged out of both of them. For folks such as myself who use Public Computers to connect to the Internet, this poses a definite risk. Any chance of changing that? (Or was it trying to change that which caused the current problem?)

Private User The fix we are targeting will address that very issue as well. Login to 1 site = logged in to both, and same for logged out.

The profile of my father has been merged by someone and should not be.
I as the daughter of my deceased father should be the only manager of his profile.
Can this merger be undone please?
"A duplicate profile was merged into Tiit Plaks by Astrid Meister.
Sep 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM ·"

Private User, if the other manager is not within his familygroup you have the option to remove this manager in the Manager Options on his profile.
If within the family that is just how Geni works: You are sharing a family tree with other users.

In fact, there is as many as 380 users within your fathers family who have full access to merge into and edit his profile..

@Helen, mergers cannot be undone, but you are of course free to remove other managers from the profile.

People merge things in their family groups all the time; It is usually considered more polite to merge a profile to get rid of duplication than it is to delete it - what data is kept in the profile is then a matter of resolving data conflicts.

Naturally, when family bonds are as convoluted as they often are, it is good advice to contact the relevant people before merging; in this case, contacting them afterwards seems to be the only option.

The key words are 'Family Group"...which allows FULL access to all your profiles...)both living and deceased)..you should always 'follow' any member of such a family member, then you would have received notification of their activity....in regards to your father....and would not have discovered it almost a full year after the fact.

Bjorn makes a good point in that you are SHARING your information with a number of users....something to consider....and he also confirms that they have 'full access'.

It might be well to point out that caution should be taken BEFORE including anyone into your 'family group' to make sure that their methods and goals are the same as yours.....AND to agree on how to work with close relatives, such as your father...(as Harald stated).

Please talk to your 'family members'.....to see if you can resolve any problem.....but unfortunately, if they ARE close relatives also, they would have the same rights to access as you have....

As Bjørn stated before, it should be better to change the function manager to contributer, just as in Genealogy wiki sites

Showing 6391-6420 of 8939 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion