Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 151-180 of 1836 posts

Why not make them linked to a document, instead of arbitrarily locking them....if I have a death certif with the burial info, or have an actual photo I took, or even Find a grave.info...I can NOT enter it in anything but 'about me' since the field is 'locked'....it is a conumdrum.

Fay Elizabeth Dyer I put burial sites on that I locate on Find a Grave

It would be engineering work to make those fields work differently and that engineering work is better spent making that field accessible to be edited. I think burial location will be available very soon.

Michelle, for some reason I can't tag you. Several pages back, I was having a discussion with Mike about the locked field problem. I had never run across it before and was going to add data from Find a Grave and couldn't do it
No reason to start a discussion about a locked field there are too many redundant discussions already. It would be nice if the discussions could be threaded so you could reply to a comment rather than have to bounce back and forth between pages

Thank you Eldon for saying the same thing I would have said....

Threaded discussions would be great. You can see how our feature list gets longer and longer! Hopefully we will be announcing unlocking burial location really soon.

I spoke too soon, I guess....the addresses still require full edit entry (I guess Honolulu, Hawaii is the only one to work without full edit).

On the other hand, I played with the nickname field on a few people and that seems to be resolved; with no need to "nickname" the field....just put the name and it does NOT now SEEM to replace the middle name...

As to unlocking burial and cause of death....it was NOT locked before, is now, and is a royal pain (especially if you have the data in hand....)

There are already too many stacks of things to re-visit WHEN the PROBLEM gets resolved.....

The problem is the stack is getting too deep.....and the "we're working on it's" too many.

Fay Elizabeth Dyer Public profiles were previously not available for editing except for via collaboration. We opened up public profile permissions, but only for fields that are easy to revert. So you are actually able to edit more than you previously could. You can still collaborate with users if you want to be able to edit everything on that profile.

We address bugs on the site very quickly. The things we are discussing are new product enhancements. We are continually rolling out enhancements, many of which come directly from discussions like this one.

Judi, please read what Michelle wrote: These fields have never been locked down, it is the other fields that have been opened up for edit by all Pro users because we now have the revision mechanism on them.

Judi, before the last change you did not have access to edit any fields on that profile because you are not a collaborator with the manager.

Today you have because you are a Pro user, but as Michelle said: Not for all fields because the revision machinery for those fields are not ready yet to allow general edit access. They are still working on that part, including a tool for undoing merges and connections. Stay tuned.

Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns In the past, there were certain public profiles that you didn't see the Edit Profile link. Any time you see the Edit Profile link with "pro" badge next to it, it is a profile that up to about 3 weeks ago you would not ordinarily have been allowed to edit without contacting the manager.

OK...I think 'light finally dawned over Marblehead"

As a Pro, I could 'edit' anything, and any field, IF I was a collaborator.

With the new enhancement, I did NOT have to be a collaborator to edit any 'public' profile, for ANYONE...

With the 3 exceptions: AKA/nickname; cause of death; and burial place....

I NEED to collaborate with the manager to 'edit' those fields....

1.) I can totally understand the AKA....it doesn't mean as much nickname as TITLE, as in King Louis, the 1st (understandable)...you didn't mean whether someone was called "Polly".

2&3) I DONT understand those fields being locked. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE REASONING.

Of course, if it is an IMPORTANT person, you can send the URL to a curator to put into a PROJECT, which opens up more fields that can be EDITED.

Is not THAT correct....a number of curators have told me that.

Fay: regarding 2&3 I gave the reason here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/99057?msg=731406.

This is also the same reason why you you don't have general access to merge public profiles. The revision machinery fro undoing them are not yet ready, so only trusted people (i.e. collaborators) have access.

As a project collaborator you have however all the time had full access to the project profiles.

So what you are saying is that a document cited as a source cannot be edited OUT if it is determined to be incorrect????

Then wouldn't the same hold true for birth record,name, palce of birth, profession, ethnicity?????

As I said...WHY there 2 fields....

Of course, the whole thing would apply even on the profiles you manage yourself...if you find out you got two people mixed up and wanted to un-cite a source...

Since I am not a PRO, I can't tell if indeed Geni Pro got ANY better.
But I can declare with certainty that Geni got a LOT worse for the rest of Geni's membership, who are the majority, and contribute at least as much as the Pros.
I read yesterday that Geni restored some features because of the public outrage, one of them the possibility to add family from the tree... the famous arrows, but that is a lie, or half a truth, because if you are not a Pro, you can't add anybody, even in cases where you added the original person and are the only manager thereof.
Geni management, you are shooting yourselves in the foot.
If you are not going to choose a middle of the road approach that will serve ALL the members, you will have a small group of Pros remaining as members, while the rest of us will say by, by... and then also the Pros will abandon ship, because we the worker ants will have gone, and with it at least half of Geni's additions.
I added over two thousand profiles, many of them close relatives to Pros and far removed from me, which shows that we have a productive and positive function in Geni.
Think it over quickly, while there is still time.
It is going to be like a tsunami... when you see coming, it is too late.

SO ACT NOW!!!... not just with promises like the politicians, but with firm and positive steps for all.

Amen to that. i'm not a pro so i wont be adding anymore free info to pay for.

I'm not sure WHAT some people were thinking ...because from where I stand, alot of the non-Pros work the trees/families of the people that the BIG guys marry into.....without them, our trees would be spouse-less, and without issue.....

Just my observation and opinion.

I agree with Mr. Levy. To make matters worse I had added 3896 Profiles and managed 4150, before I was hit by the big tree. I was told that it is because of the number of famous people in my family. Somehow it was either a "PRO" or Curators that either replace me or in some cases knocked out all together. Thank goodness I have ONE Curator who helps time to time.

I now have added 2332 and manage 2687. Every day the number goes down and my distant ancestors change like the weather. What good is the BIG tree if for 8 months, Edward I the first was your 20th Great Grandfather, etc., and now is some convoluted relative.

Every time I think of becoming a PRO, part of my tree gets wracked by a tornado.

Why spend the money? So I can Hit head against the wall.

Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns I don't think you are understanding the pro editing feature. You can edit profiles such as George Washington, 1st President of the United States because you are a pro. However, you won't be able to edit AKA, place of burial or cause of death for the time being. Anytime you see those fields locked, you are editing a profile that is open to all pros to edit.

Here is the blog post about this release - http://www.geni.com/blog/public-editing-for-pros-355081.html

Judi

If you have problems editing specific historical profiles, post on the curators need assistance discussion with a link and someone will be happy to take a look.

Judi/judith Elane -- I feel much the same way as you. I just want to work on my end of the tree and I really don't plan on entering anything else to historical profiles. I like you have been the most hated person on geni. I like you have been attacked and insulted. i was hurt and angry and fought it and now I don't give a hoot about these people. I too am not going to be the elite part of Geni nor do I want to be, I have plenty of info , found the good old fashioned way,keep me busy for quite some time. Keep in tough if you want too. It appear we might be connect , distantly but connected. It's up to you,

Public Profiles show arrows and when I click on them, I get Ad for Pro. This seems in line with how things are supposed to be now.

But many of the Private Profiles I manage have no arrows. Under what circumstances should I see no arrows on Private Profiles I manage?

Even tho I can access the historical profiles that I originally entered like Henry 2Nd. King of England my name is not in the list of managers. I should not have to request being in the list since I was originally in it. i do not URL and should not have to , Maybe I should do what a lot of other people did and disconnect myself and start all over again only as singular manager. Fix it . please.

Geni has managed to take control of almost all my personel family . I can not ass or subtact anyone from several gen back. It says resolve dupicates ete. There are no duplicates since I am the only one who knew who william Taylor Parker was wife was and William Taylor and wife and family were and James Taylor and both wives and family were. and so. At this point I am not liking this system. Someone has stolven control over my family.

I will be removing people.

Some of my profiles say added my myself and then no name some don't have me but have no name. What kind of a game is going on ?

Unknown Profile if you would tag the profiles you are mentioning in the discussions, maybe someone would be able to help you

Showing 151-180 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion