Israel Cole, Sr.
|Birthplace:||Eastham, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony|
|Death:||Died in Eastham, Barnstable County, Province of Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Israel Cole, Sr.
- Israel Cole
- Birth: Jan. 8, 1653
- Death: Jan. 21, 1723
- Son of Ruth and Daniel Cole. Israel born 08 Jan/June 1653; died 21 Jan 1723/4; married 24 Apr 1679 Mary Paine, widow of James Rogers; born about 1650 Eastham, MA; died after 2 Oct 1706 Eastham, MA; daughter of Thomas Paine and Mary Snow. His will proved 23 July 1724 and inventory listed his worth at 10,000 pounds.
- Family links:
- Daniel Cole (1614 - 1694)
- Ruth Chandler Cole (1628 - 1694)
- Mary Paine Rogers Cole (1653 - 1705)*
- Israel Cole (1685 - 1746)*
- Hester/Esther Cole Atwood*
- John Cole (1644 - 1724)*
- Hepzibah Cole Doane (1649 - ____)*
- Ruth Cole Bangs (1651 - 1728)*
- Israel Cole (1653 - 1723)
- James Cole (1655 - ____)*
- Mary Cole Hopkins (1658 - 1734)*
- William Cole (1663 - 1735)*
- Daniel Cole (1666 - 1736)*
- Thomas Cole (1668 - 1736)*
- Burial: Unknown
- Find A Grave Memorial# 73360713
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73360713
- PAINE, Mary
- b. 1650 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- d. 12 MAY 1705
- Marriage: 11 JAN 1669/70 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Spouse: ROGERS, James
- b. 18 OCT 1648 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- d. 13 APR 1678 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- ROGERS, James
- ROGERS, Mary
- ROGERS, Abigail
- Marriage: 24 APR 1679 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Spouse: COLE, Israel
- b. 8 JAN 1652/3 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- d. 1694 Eastham, Barnstable, Mass.
- Father: COLE, Daniel
- Mother: Ruth,
- COLE, Hannah
- COLE, Israel
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_40.htm#58
- The early genealogies of the Cole families in America. (Including Coles and Cowles). With some account of the descendants of James, by Hartford, Connecticut, 1635-1652, and of Thomas Cole, of Salem, Mass., 1649-1672
- About the beginning of the second decade of the existence of the Plymouth colony, there came from England three young men, brothers, named John, Job and Daniel Cole. I suspect that they came over with William Collier, a merchant of London, about 1633. Their father is unknown. Whether they were brothers of James, the inn-keeper of Plymouth, I know not, but I judge that they were not.
- John died at Plymouth in December, 1637, and in his will, proved January 2, 1638, he mentions by name, "Master Collier's men," his brothers Job and Daniel, and his sister Rebecca, wife of Job. He was probably unmarried.
- JOB COLE, the eldest of the three brothers, married May 16, 1634, Rebecca Collier.*
- .... etc.
- DANIEL COLE. ( —— ). The younger brother of Job, and probably came over with him when they were both young men. The first mention of him is April 6, 1640, when fifty acres of upland were granted him. .... etc.
- .... He died December 21, 1694, aged 80. He married Ruth —— , who died December 15, 1694, aged 69. Their children were :
- 6. i. John, b. July 15, 1644.
- 7. ii. Timothy, b. Sept. 4, (15) 1646.
- iii. Hepsebah, b. April 16, 1649, m. Daniel Doane, of Eastham, and had a son, Constant Doane, b. Mar. 7, 1670.
- iv. Ruth, b. April 15, 1651, m. John, oldest son of John and Abigail Young, of Eastham, (b. in Plymouth, Nov. 16, 1649).
- 8. v. Israel, b. Jan. 8, 1653.
- 9. vi. James, b. Nov. 3, (30) 1655.
- 10. vii. Mary, b. Mar. 10, 1658, m. May 26, 1681, Joshua Hopkins, of Eastham.
- 11. viii. William, b. Sept. 15, 1663.
- JOHN2 COLE (Job,1) .... etc.
- JOHN2 COLE (Daniel,1) born in Yarmouth, July 16, 1644. He lived in Eastham and married Ruth, daughter of Nicholas Snow, December 12, 1666. He was at Groton in 1672, but probably returned, driven out by Indians, as he is on the freeman list of 1695. His wife died June 27, 1717. He died June 6, 1725.
- The children of John and Ruth (Snow) Cole were:
- i. .... etc.
- TIMOTHY2 COLE (Daniel,1) the second son of Daniel and Ruth Cole, was born in Yarmouth, September 4. 1646. The only mention that I find of him is as follows: 1676, .... etc.
- ISRAEL2 COLE (Daniel.1) the third son and fifth child of Daniel and Ruth Cole, was born in Eastham January 8, 1653. He married April 24, 1674, Mary, widow of James Rodgers, of Duxbury, and daughter of Thomas2 and Mary Paine, of Eastham. .... etc.
- Children of Israel and Mary (Rodgers) Cole were:
- i. Hannah, b. June 28, 1685.
- 15. ii. Israel, b. June 28, 1685. (Reg. vi-41.)
- JAMES2 COLE (Daniel,1) the third son of Daniel and Ruth Cole, was born in Eastham, November 3, 1655.
- MARY2 COLE (Daniel,1) the seventh child of Daniel and Ruth Cole, was born in Eastham, March 10, 1658. She married May 26, 1681, Joshua Hopkins, of Eastham, born June, J657, and son of Giles and Catherine (Welden) Hopkins. (Giles came in the Mayflower with his father, Stephen, and his mother.) Her children were: ..... etc.
- WILLIAM2 COLE (Daniel,1) the fourth son and eighth and youngest child of Daniel and Ruth Cole, was born in Eastham, September 15, 1663. He lived in Eastham, and December 2, 1686, he married Hannah, daughter of Stephen and Susanna (Deane) Snow, born January 2, 1667, died June 23, 1737. Their children were: .... etc.
- Daniel Cole, Sr
- Birth: 1614 Guildford Borough, Surrey, England
- Death: Dec. 21, 1694
- Daniel Cole Birth: 1614 in Duxbury, Lancashire, England Death: 21 DEC 1694 in Eastham, Barnstable, Massachusetts Note: "We, John Cole, Timonty Cole, Israel Cole, James Cole, William Cole, Daniel Cole & Thomas Cole, Daniel Doan & his wife Hipsibath, John Young & his wife Ruth, Joshua Hopkins & his wife Mary & Medad Atwood & his wife Hester have mutually agreed to be contented and satisfied with ye divition & settlement of ye Estate".Daniel Cole came to Plymouth with William Collier in 1633 along with brothers Job and John. Probably James Cole of Plymouth was also a brother. He married Ruth Collier, Daughter of William Collier and Jane Clark; a Mayflower family. They sailed on the ship "Mary and James". Sources A Genealogical Profile of William Collier www.PlymouthAncestors.org retrieved May 2014
- John G. Hunt wrote in an article published in The American Genealogist, Vol. 42: ORIGIN OF THREE EARLY PLYMOUTH FAMILIES: COLE, COLLIER , AND CLARKE " . . . proved by the will of Zaccheus Cole of St. Olave, Southwark (Surrey England), citizen and grocer of London, dated 16 Nov 1630 . . . In this will the testator named his mother, FRANCES, his brothers Nathaniel, John, and DANIEL COLE, and appointed his brother, Job Cole, executor. In New England the will of John Cole, dated about 1637, refers to his brothers Job Cole and Daniel Cole; to sister Rebecca and to Eliza Collyer and left legacies to each of Master Collier's men." This is the evidence that the mother of Daniel Cole is Frances (unknown) and that his father whose name remains unknown had died prior to the date of the will.
- It was Monday Dec. 20,1694 when Daniel die. Daniel was 80 years old when he pass away. Three brother Job, John and Daniel Cole came to Plymouth Mass in 1633 on the ship " Mary and James" with 190 passengers. William Collier, merchant in London came with the Cole brothers, Job Cole worked for William Collier, James Cole of the hill could also be related to the Cole brothers. Some books say he was a brother but he could be a cousin because he is not mentioned in Zaccheus's will. James Cole also arrived at Plymouth from Saco, Maine the same year that the Cole brothers arrived in Plymouth, Job and Daniel moved to Eastham,Mass. Daniel Cole was 19 years old in 1633. Daniel married Ruth Chester and removed to Yarmouth in 1637. But joined his brother Job at Eastham Mass 1643. He was a deputy 10 times and a member of the Yarmouth Militia, selectman,town clerk in Eastham Mass. He was a tailor and arrived in N.E. 19 years old. Daniel Cole's Will Daniel Cole died December 20, 1694 Adm was son of Israel at the request of brothers and sisters children, John, Timothy, Israel, James, William, Daniel Doane and wife Hephzibah, John Young and wife Ruth. Joshus Hopkins and wife Mary Medad Tupper and Wife Hester. Children of Daniel and Ruth all born in Eastham,Mass.
- In 1648 Daniel was one of the jury that tried Alice Bishop for infanticide, "( This word infanticide means a Child murder )"
- Family links:
- Frances ??? (____ - 1630)
- Burial: Cove Burying Ground, Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 132786793
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=132786793
From his Thomas Rogers Society page:
Israel Cole 
Israel Cole married Mary Paine, daughter of Thomas Paine and Mary Snow, on 24 April 1679 at Eastham.
- 1. [S1] Ann T. [Revised by], (Originally compiled by Alice W. A. Westgate) Reeves, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Descendants of the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth, Mass. December 1620: Family of Thomas Rogers (Plymouth, MA: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2000), p. 12. Hereinafter cited as Rogers-Silver.
Israel Cole, Sr.'s Timeline
June 8, 1653
Eastham, Cape Cod, Plymouth Colony
June 28, 1681
Eastham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, United States
June 28, 1685
Eastham, Barnstable County, Plymouth Colony
Eastham, Barnstable County, Province of Massachusetts