Clackmannanshire Main Page
Historic County of Scotland
This is the Umbrella project for Clackmannanshire
HELP + DO NOT ADD (JUST REMOVE LINK AS NECESSARY)
Still to come
Clackmannanshire Genealogical Resources
- Administrative centre Originally Clackmannan, but by 1822 neighbouring Alloa had outgrown Clackmannan and replaced it as the county town.
- Chapman County Code - CLK
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Alloa Tower
- Clackmannan Tower
- Ben Cleuch
- Castle Campbell
- Gartmorn Dam
- Menstrie Castle
- The old Tollbooth, Merkit Cross and King Robert's Stone can be found the in the centre of Clackmannan town. The tower is all that remains of the Tollbooth, which was an administrative building for the town, Taxes, Courts and prison to name a few. The Merkit Cross or Market Cross marked the site of the town market. It is inscribed with the coat of arms of the Bruce family.
- Area 123 Sq.km (47 sq mi)
- Population 48,240 (2004); (2010 est.) 50,600
- Succeeded by
- County Flower - Opposite-leaved Golden-saxifrage
- Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Chlach Mhannainn meaning 'Stone of Manau'
Clackmannanshire (often abbreviated to Clacks.) is one of Scotland's 33 historic local government counties. It is a local government council area in Scotland, and a lieutenancy area, bordering Fife, Perth and Kinross and Stirling. It is Scotland's smallest historic county and is often nicknamed 'The Wee County'.
In 1971 the Muckhart and Glendevon areas, formerly in the county of Perth, were transferred to Clackmannanshire.
The origin of its name is one of Clackmannan's mysteries. The consensus explanation is given in T. Crouther Gordon, The History of Clackmannan, published in 1936. According to Dr. Gordon, "clack" means "stone" in Gaelic and "Mannan" or "Manau" was a Celtic sea-god (who also provided the name for the Isle of Man). Evidently the name was applied to this particular site because there was an stone, ancient whinstone boulder called the "clach" originally on the bank of the Forth, that was regarded by the Picts as a dwelling place of the spirit of the water.
The Parishes of Clackmannanshire
- Alva 
- Tillicoultry 
- Dollar 
- Alloa 
- Clackmannon 
Towns and villages
- Alloa - administrative centre
If you have Clackmannanshire connections please join the project.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!