The purpose of this project is to give a historical background to Shropshire, to provide information about those individuals of Historic importance linked to the county and to add links to any profiles of significant people linked to Shropshire who have profiles on GENi.
See also Shropshire Main Page
References, Sources and further reading
- The visitation of Shropshire, taken in the year 1623
You are invited to contribute in any way you can -
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
Shropshire was established during the division of Saxon Mercia into shires in the 10th century. It is first mentioned in 1006. After the Norman Conquest it experienced significant development, following the granting of the principal estates of the county to eminent Normans.
The Coalbrookdale area of the county is designated "the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution", due to significant technological developments that happened there.
The origin of the name "Shropshire" is the Old English "Scrobbesbyrigscīr" (literally Shrewsburyshire), perhaps taking its name from Richard Scrob (or FitzScrob or Scrope), the builder of Richard's Castle near what is now the town of Ludlow. However, the Normans who ruled England after 1066 found both "Scrobbesbyrig" and "Scrobbesbyrigscir" difficult to pronounce so they softened them to "Salopesberia" and "Salopescira". Salop is the abbreviation of these.
When a council for the county was set up in 1888, it was called "Salop County Council". The name was never popular, with local MP Jasper More raising an amendment to the 1972 Local Government Bill to rename the county "Shropshire" - at the time the council itself opposed the change, although later, in 1980, would exercise its power to legally change the name of the county.
The Times noted in a 19 February 1980 article about the name change that "there was no record of why the name Salop County Council was adopted". The decision to make the change was taken on 1 March 1980, at a special meeting of the council, with 48 votes in favour versus five against. It came into effect on 1 April.
The term "Salopian", derived from "Salop", is still used to mean "from Shropshire". Salop can also mean the county town, Shrewsbury, and in historical records Shropshire is described as "the county of Salop" and Shrewsbury as "the town of Salop". There is a reference in the Encyclopædia Britannica (1948) to Shropshire being called Sloppesbury, and this name being shortened to Salop.
The Latin motto of "Floreat Salopia" (may Shropshire flourish) was originally used by the borough of Shrewsbury, and was adopted in 1896 by Salop (or Shropshire) County Council when they received a grant of a coat of arms. The motto is now used in a number of other emblems associated with the county.
Another reason why Salop was unfavourable was the fact that if you add the letter 'E' and make it Salope, this is a French word and means 'Bitch or Loose Woman'.
The border with Wales was defined in the 16th century - the hundreds of Oswestry (including Oswestry) and Pimhill (including Wem), and part of Chirbury had prior to the Laws in Wales Act formed various Lordships in the Welsh Marches.
The present day ceremonial county boundary is almost the same as the historic county's. Notably there has been the removal of several exclaves and enclaves. The largest of the exclaves was Halesowen, which became part of Worcestershire in 1844 (now part of the West Midlands county), and the largest of the enclaves was Herefordshire's Farlow in South Shropshire, also transferred in 1844, to Shropshire. Alterations have been made on Shropshire's border with all neighbouring English counties over the centuries. Gains have been made to the south of Ludlow (from Herefordshire), to the north of Shifnal (from Staffordshire) and to the north (from Cheshire) and south (from Staffordshire) of Market Drayton. The county has lost land in two places - to Staffordshire and Worcestershire.
The entire area of modern Shropshire was included within the territory of the Celtic Cornovii tribe, whose capital was the Wrekin Hill fort.
After Roman military expansion into the area in 47, the tribal territory was reorganised as a Roman Civitas and the capital was relocated to Viroconium.
Pengwern & Powys
Following the collapse of the Romano-British administration, the Cornovii territory may have become part of the Kingdom of Powys, but its status is obscure. Welsh historians associated Pengwern with Shrewsbury, but its location is uncertain.
Integration with Mercia to 1066
The Saxon Kingdom of Mercia
The northern part of Shropshire was part of the territory of the Wreocensæte. The southern part probably belonged to the Magonsaete. Both were absorbed by the Saxon Kingdom of Mercia by King Offa. In 765 he constructed Watt's Dyke to defend his territory against the Welsh, and in 779, having pushed across the River Severn, drove the Welsh King of Powys from Shrewsbury, he secured his conquests by a second defensive earthwork known as Offa's Dyke. (This enters Shropshire at Knighton, traverses moor and mountain by Llanymynech and Oswestry, in many places forming the boundary line of the county, and finally leaves it at Bron y Garth and enters Denbighshire.)
In the 9th and 10th centuries the district was frequently overrun by the Danes, who in 874 destroyed the famous priory of Wenlock, said to have been founded by St Milburga, granddaughter of King Penda of Mercia, and in 896 wintered at Quatford. In 912 Ethelfleda, the Lady of Mercia, erected a fortress at Bridgnorth against the Danish invaders, and in the following year she erected another at Chirbury.
The establishment of Shropshire
Mercia was mapped out into shires in the 10th century after its recovery from the Danes by Edward the Elder. The first mention of 'Shropshire' in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle occurs under 1006, when the King crossed the Thames and wintered there. In 1016 Edmund Atheling plundered Shrewsbury and the neighbourhood.
In 963 AD two towns are described in East Shropshire these have now been identified as Newport, Shropshire, Plesc was described as having a High street, a stone quarry and a religious community, The name Plesc means fortified place or one with palicade, denoting it was of some importance.
Thirteen years before the Norman Conquest, the Saxon Chronicle relates that in 1053 the Welshmen slew a great many of the English wardens at Westbury, and in that year Harold ordered that any Welshman found beyond Offa's Dike within the English pale should have his right hand cut off.
Earl Godwin, Sweyn, Harold, Queen Edith, Edward the Confessor and Edwin and Morcar are all mentioned in the Domesday Survey as having held lands in the county shortly before or during the Norman Conquest.
1066 to the late Middle Ages
After the Norman Conquest of 1066 the principal estates in Shropshire were all bestowed on Norman proprietors, pre-eminent among whom is Roger de Montgomerie, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, whose son Robert de Bellesme forfeited his possessions for rebelling against Henry I, when the latter bestowed the Earldom on his Queen for life.
The principal landholders at the time of the Domesday Survey were the bishop of Chester, the bishop of Hereford, the church of St Remigius, Earl Roger, Osbern Fitz-Richard, Ralph de Mortimer, Roger de Laci, Hugh Lasne and Nicholas Medicus. Earl Roger had the whole profits of Condover hundred and also owned Alnodestreu hundred. The family of Fitz-Alan, ancestors of the royal family of Stuart, had supreme jurisdiction in Oswestry hundred, which was exempt from English law.
Richard Fitz-Scrob, father of Osbern Fitz-Richard and founder cf Richard's Castle, was lord of the hundred of Overs at the time of the Conquest. Gatacre was the seat of the Gatacres. The barony of Pulverbatch passed from the Pulverbatches, and was purchased in 1193 by John de Kilpeck for £100.
The family of Cornwall were barons of Burford and of Harley for many centuries. The family of Lestrange owned large estates in Shropshire after the Conquest, and Fulk Lestrange claimed the right of holding pleas of the crown in Wrockworthyn in 1292.
Among others claiming rights of jurisdiction in their Shropshire estates in the same year were Edmund de Mortimer, the abbot of Cumbermere, the prior of Lanthony, the prior of Great Malvern, the bishop of Lichfield, Peter Corbett, Nicholas of Audley, the abbot of Lilleshall, John of Mortayn, Richard Fitz-Alan, the bishop of Hereford and the prior of Wenlock.
At this period a very large portion of Shropshire was covered by forests, the largest of which, Morfe Forest, at its origin extended at least 8 miles in length and 6 miles in width, and became a favorite hunting-ground of the English Kings. The forest of Wrekin, or 'Mount Gilbert' as it was then called, covered the whole of that hill and extended eastward as far as Sheriffhales. Other forests were Stiperstones, the jurisdiction of which was from time immemorial annexed to the Barony of Caus, Wyre, Shirlot, Clee, Long Forest and Brewood.
The constant necessity of defending their territories against the Welsh prompted the Norman lords of Shropshire to such activity in castle-building that out of 186 castles in England no less than 32 are in this county. Shropshire became a key area within the Welsh Marches. Of the castles built in this period the most famous are Ludlow, founded by Roger de Montgomery; Bishop's Castle, which belonged to the Bishops of Hereford; Clun Castle, built by the FitzAlans; Cleobury Castle, built by Hugh de Mortimer; Caus Castle, once the Barony of Sir Peter Corbet, from whom it came to the Barons Strafford; Rowton Castle, also a seat of the Corbets; Red Castle, a seat of the Audleys. Other castles were Bridgnorth, Corfham, Holgate, Newport, Pulverbatch, Quatford, Shrewsbury and Wem.
The early political history of Shropshire is largely concerned with the constant incursions and depredations of the Welsh from across the border. Various statutory measures to keep the Welsh in check were enforced in the 14th and 15th centuries.
In 1379 Welshmen were forbidden to purchase land in the county save on certain conditions, and this enactment was reinforced in 1400. In 1379 the men of Shropshire forwarded to parliament a complaint of the felonies committed by the men of Cheshire and of the Welsh marches, and declared the gaol of Shrewsbury Castle to be in such a ruinous condition that they had no place of imprisonment for the offenders when captured. In 1442 and again as late as 1535 acts were passed for the protection of Shropshire against the Welsh.
Medieval national affairs
Apart from the border warfare in which they were constantly engaged, the great Shropshire lords were actively concerned in the more national struggles. Shrewsbury Castle was garrisoned for the empress Maud by William Fitz-Alan in 1138, but was captured by Stephen in the same year. Holgate Castle was taken by King John from Thomas Mauduit, one of the rebellious barons.
Ludlow and Shrewsbury were both held for a time by Simon de Montfort. At Acton Burnell in 1283 was held the parliament which passed the famous Statute of Acton Burnell, and a parliament was summoned to meet at Shrewsbury in 1398.
During the Percy rebellion Shrewsbury was in 1403 the site of a battle between the Lancastrian Henry IV, and Henry Percy ('Harry Hotspur') of Northumberland. The Battle of Shrewsbury, was fought on 21 July 1403, at what is now Battlefield, just to the north of present day Shrewsbury town. The battle resulted in the death of Henry Percy, and a victory to King Henry IV, who established a chapel at the site to commemorate the fallen.
Among the Norman religious foundations were:
the Cluniac priory at Much Wenlock, re-established on the Saxon foundation by Roger Montgomery in 1080 the Augustinian Haughmond Abbey founded by William Fitz-Alan the Cistercian Buildwas Abbey, now a magnificent ruin, founded in 1135 by Roger de Clinton, Bishop of Chester Shrewsbury Abbey, founded in 1083 by Roger de Montgomerie the Augustinian abbey of Lilleshall, founded in the reign of Stephen the Augustinian priory of Wombridge, founded before the reign of King Henry I the Benedictine priory of Alberbury founded by Fulk FitzWarin in the 13th century and Chirbury Priory founded in the 13th century.
The fifteen Shropshire hundreds mentioned in the Domesday Survey were entirely rearranged in the reign of King Henry I, and only Overs and Condover retained their original names. The Domesday hundred of Ruesset was replaced by Ford, and the hundred court transferred from Alberbury to Ford. Hodnet was the meeting-place of the Domesday hundred of Odenet, which was combined with Recordin, the largest of the Domesday hundreds, to form the modern hundred of Bradford, the latter also including part of the Domesday hundred of Pinholle in Staffordshire. The hundred of Baschurch had its meeting-place at Baschurch in the time of Edward the Confessor; in the reign of Henry I. it was represented mainly by the hundred of Pimhill, the meeting-place of which was at Pimhill. Oswestry represents the Domesday hundred of Mercete, the hundred court of which was transferred from Maesbury to Oswestry. Munslow hundred was formed in the reign of, but in the reign of Richard I a large portion was taken out of it to form a new liberty for the priory of Wenlock, the limits of which correspond very nearly with the modern franchise of Wenlock. The Domesday hundred of Alnodestreu, abolished in the reign of King Henry I, had its meeting-place at Membrefeld (Morville).
Shropshire was administered by a High Sheriff, at least from the time of the Norman Conquest, the first Norman sheriff being Warin the Bald, whose successor was Rainald, and in 1156 the office was held by William Fitzalan, whose account of the fee farm of the county is entered in the pipe roll for that year (see list at High Sheriff of Shropshire). The shire court was held at Shrewsbury. A considerable portion of Shropshire was included in the Welsh Marches, the court for the administration of which was held at Ludlow. In 1397 the castle of Oswestry with the hundred and eleven towns pertaining thereto, the castle of Isabel with the lordship pertaining thereto, and the castle of Dalaley, were annexed to the principality of Chester. By the statute of 1535 for the abolition of the Welsh Marches, the lordships of Oswestry, Whittington, Masbroke and Knockin were formed into the hundred of Oswestry; the lordship of Ellesmere was joined to the hundred of Pimhill; and the lordship of Down to the hundred of Chirbury. The boundaries of Shropshire have otherwise varied little since the Domesday Survey. Richard's Castle, Ludford, and Ludlow, however, were then included in the Herefordshire hundred of Cutestornes, while several manors now in Herefordshire were assessed under Shropshire. The Shropshire manors of Kings Nordley, Alveley, Claverley and Worfield were assessed in the Domesday hundred of Saisdon in Staffordshire; and Quatt, Romsley, Rudge and Shipley appear under the Warwickshire hundred of Stanlei. By statute 34 and 35 Henry VIII, the town and hundred of Aberton, till then part of Merionethshire, were annexed to this county.
Shropshire in the 13th century was situated almost entirely in the diocese of Hereford and diocese of Coventry and Lichfield; forming the archdeaconries of Shropshire and Salop. That portion of the county in the Hereford diocese, the archdeaconry of Shropshire, included the deaneries of Burford, Stottesdon, Ludlow, Pontesbury, Clun and Wenlock; and that portion in the Coventry and Lichfield diocese, the archdeaconry of Salop, the deaneries of Salop and Newport.
In 1535 the Hereford portion included the additional deanery of Bridgnorth; it now, since 1876, forms the archdeaconry of Ludlow, with the additional deaneries of Montgomery, Bishops Castle, Condover, and Church Stretton. The archdeaconry of Salop, now entirely in the Lichfield diocese, includes the deaneries of Edgmond, Ellesmere, Hodnet, Shifnal, Shrewsbury, Wem, Whitchurch and Wrockwardine. Part of Shropshire was included in the Welsh diocese of St Asaph until the disestablishment of the Church in Wales (1920), comprising the deanery of Oswestry in the archdeaconry of Montgomery, and two parishes in the deanery of Llangollen and the archdeaconry of Wrexham. Certain parishes in Montgomeryshire chose to remain in the diocese of Hereford.
English Civil War
On the outbreak of the Civil War of the 17th century the Shropshire gentry for the most part declared for the king, who visited Shrewsbury in 1642 and received valuable contributions in plate and money from the inhabitants. A mint and printing-press were set up at Shrewsbury, which became a refuge for the neighbouring royalist gentry. Wem, the first place to declare for Parliament, was garrisoned in 1645 by Richard Baxter. Shrewsbury was forced to surrender in 1644, and the royalist strongholds of Ludlow and Bridgnorth were captured in 1646., the latter after a four weeks' siege, during which the governor burnt part of the town for defence against Parliamentary troops.
Commerce and industry
The earliest industries of Shropshire took their rise from its abundant natural resources; the rivers supplying valuable fisheries; the vast forest areas abundance of timber; while the mineral products of the county had been exploited from remote times. The Domesday Survey mentions salt-works at Ditton Priors, Caynham and Donnington. The lead mines of Shelve and Stiperstones were worked by the Romans, and in 1220 Robert Corbett conferred on Shrewsbury Abbey a tithe of his lead from the mine at Shelve.
In 1260 licence was granted to dig coal in the Clee Hills, and in 1291 the abbot of Wigmore received the profits of a coal mine at Caynham. Iron was dug in the Clee Hills and at Wombridge in the 16th century. Wenlock had a famous copper-mine in the reign of Richard II., and in the l6th century was noted for its limestone.
As the forest areas were gradually cleared and brought under cultivation, the county became more exclusively agricultural. In 1343 Shropshire wool was rated at a higher value than that of almost any other English county, and in the 13th and 14th centuries Buildwas monastery exported wool to the Italian markets. Shropshire had never been distinguished for any characteristic manufactures, but a prosperous clothing trade arose about Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth, and Oswestry was famous in the l6th century for its "Welsh cottons",  cheap woolen cloth in which the nap was raised, or "cottoned" by carding.
The Industrial Revolution
Coalbrookdale, a small area of Shropshire has been claimed as the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, because of Abraham Darby I's development of coke-smelting and ironfounding there in the early eighteenth century.
Shropshire is the "geological capital" of the UK, as just about every rock type in Northern Europe is found within its borders, as are coal, lead, copper and iron ore deposits. In addition to this, the River Severn flows through the county and has been used for the transportation of goods and services for centuries. A result of this was that the Ironbridge Gorge became a focal point of new industrial energies in the 18th century.
The towns of Broseley and Madeley were centres of innovation during the late 18th Century. In Broseley, John Wilkinson pioneered precision engineering by providing cylinders for Boulton and Watt's improved steam engines, and by boring cannons with greater accuracy and range. He also constructed the first iron boat. It was in nearby locations where key events of the Industrial Revolution took place. Coalbrookdale is where modern iron smelting techniques were developed, Ironbridge is where the world's first iron bridge was constructed, to link Broseley with Madeley and the Black Country, and Ditherington is where the world's first iron framed building was built, the Ditherington Flaxmill. Other places notable for early industry are Jackfield and Coalport.
Later, Broseley and Madeley became notable for their continuation of trade in the field of bricks and tiles, which became a stable to the booming building trade, and millions of Broseley clay pipes were exported across the British Empire.
Lord Lieutenants of Shropshire
see Lord Lieutenant of Wales for pre-English Civil War lieutenants
This is a list of people who have served as Lord Lieutenant of Shropshire. Before the English Civil War, the lieutenancy of Shropshire was always held by the Lord Lieutenant of Wales, but after the Restoration, its lieutenants were appointed separately. Since 1708, all the Lord Lieutenants have also been Custos Rotulorum of Shropshire.
- Robert Devereux, 3rd Earl of Essex (appointed by Parliament) 1642 - 14 September 1646
- Francis Newport, 1st Earl of Bradford 26 July 1660 – 11 August 1687
- George Jeffreys, 1st Baron Jeffreys 11 August 1687 – 18 April 1689
- Francis Newport, 1st Earl of Bradford 11 June 1689 – 29 November 1704
- Richard Newport, 2nd Earl of Bradford 29 November 1704 – 10 May 1712
- Charles Talbot, 1st Duke of Shrewsbury10 May 1712 – 12 November 1714
- Richard Newport, 2nd Earl of Bradford 12 November 1714 – 14 June 1723
- Henry Newport, 3rd Earl of Bradford 20 May 1724 – 23 December 1734
- Henry Herbert, 1st Earl of Powis 22 May 1735 – 13 March 1761
- William Pulteney, 1st Earl of Bath 13 March 1761 – 7 July 1764
- Henry Herbert, 1st Earl of Powis 16 August 1764 – 10 September 1772
- Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive 4 November 1772 – 22 November 1774
- Edward Clive, 2nd Baron Clive 12 April 1775 – 30 March 1798
- George Herbert, 2nd Earl of Powis 30 March 1798 – 16 January 1801
- Edward Clive, 1st Earl of Powis 18 May 1804 – 16 May 1839
- George Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 2nd Duke of Sutherland 13 July 1839 – 14 November 1845
- Rowland Hill, 2nd Viscount Hill 14 November 1845 – 3 January 1875
- Orlando Bridgeman, 3rd Earl of Bradford 30 January 1875 – 25 July 1896
- George Herbert, 4th Earl of Powis 25 July 1896 – 3 August 1951
- Robert Bridgeman, 2nd Viscount Bridgeman 3 August 1951 – 20 March 1970
- Lt.-Col. Arthur Heywood-Lonsdale 20 March 1970 – 3 March 1975
- Sir John Dugdale 3 March 1975 – 1994
- Gustavus Hamilton-Russell, 10th Viscount Boyne 19 June 1994 – 14 December 1995
- Algernon Eustace Heber-Percy 11 March 1996 – present
High Sherrifs of Shropshire
The High Sheriff is the oldest secular office under the Crown. Formerly the High Sheriff was the principal law enforcement officer in the county but over the centuries most of the responsibilities associated with the post have been transferred elsewhere or are now defunct, so that its functions are now largely ceremonial. The High Sheriff changes every March. From 1204 to 1344 the High Sheriff of Staffordshire served also as the High Sheriff of Shropshire.
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
- Warin the Bald
- c.1086 Rainald De Balliol, De Knightley (1040–1086)
- 1102 Hugh (son of Warin)
- 1114: Alan fitz Flaad (died 1114)
- 1127–1137: Pain fitzJohn (died 1137)
- 1137–1138: William Fitz Alan (exiled 1138)
- 1155-1159: William Fitz Alan (died 1160)
- 1160–1165: Guy le Strange
- 1166–1169: Geoffrey de Vere
- 1170:Geoffrey de Vere and William Clericus
- 1171–1179: Guy le Strange
- 1180–1189: Hugh Pantulf, 4th Baron of Wem
- 1190-1201: William fitz Alan II (died 1210)
13th and 14th century
- 1204-1344 See High Sheriff of Staffordshire
- 1377: Sir John Burley
- 1377: Sir Bryan Cornwall of Burford, Shropshire
- 1378: John Ludlow
- 1379: John de Drayton
- 1380: Roger Hord
- 1381: John Shery
- 1382: Edward Acton of Longnor
- 1383: John de Stepulton
- 1384: Edward Acton of Longnor
- 1386: Nicholas de Sandford
- 1387: Robert de Lee
- 1388: John Mowetho or Mowellio
- 1388: Robert de Ludlow
- 1389: Edward Acton of Longnor
- 1390: John de Stepulton
- 1391: William Huggeford
- 1392: Henry de Winesbury
- 1393: John de Eyton of Eyton upon the Weald Moors
- 1394: Thomas de Lee
- 1395: william Worthie
- 1396: William Huggeford
- 1397–1398: Adamus de Pashal
- 1399: John Cornwall
- 1400 William Huggeford and John Darras
- 1401: William Banaster
- 1402-1403: Thomas Newport of High Ercall Hall
- 1404: John Cornwail
- 1405: Thomas de Whitton
- 1406: William Brounshul
- 1407: John Burley of Broomscraft Castle
- 1408: Roger Acton
- 1409: Edward Sprenghose of Plaish
- 1410: Robert Tiptrot
- 1413–1415: Sir Robert Corbet of Hadley
- 1415: Sir Richard Lakyn of Willey
- 1416: George Hankeston
- 1417: William Ludlow
- 1418: Adam Peshale
- 1419: Sir Robert Corbet of Moreton Corbet castle (died in office, 1420)
- 1420–1422: John Bruyn
- 1423: Hugo Harnage
- 1424: Thomas le Strange
- 1425: William Burley
- 1426: Thomas Corbet of Leigh
- 1427: William Lichfield
- 1428: John Winnesbury
- 1429: Hugo Burgh and Thomas Hopton
- 1430: Richard Archer
- 1431: John Bruyn
- 1432: John Ludlow
- 1433: Thomas Corbet de Ley
- 1434: Hugo Cresset of Upton Cresset
- 1435: Robert Inglefield of Berkshire
- 1436: William Ludlow
- 1437: William Lichfield
- 1438: Humphrey Low
- 1439–1440: Nicholas Eyton of Eyton Hall, near Wellington
- 1441: John Burgh
- 1442: William Ludlow
- 1443: Thomas Corbet
- 1444: Nicholas Eyton
- 1445: Hugo Cresset
- 1446: Sir Fulk Sprenghose of Plaish
- 1447: William Ludlow
- 1448: John Burgh
- 1449: Roger Eyton
- 1450: Thomas Herbert of Chirbury
- 1451: Sir William Lakyn of Willey
- 1452: John Burgh
- 1453: Robert Corbet
- 1454: Nicholas Eyton
- 1455: William Mitton
- 1456: Thomas Hord
- 1457: Fulk Sprencheaux
- 1459: Sir Thomas Cornwall of Burford, Shropshire
- 1460: Robert Corbet
- 1461: Sir Humphrey Blount Kt. of Kinlet Hall
- 1462–1463: Sir Roger Kynaston Kt of Hordley
- 1464: John Burgh
- 1465: Richard Lee
- 1466: Robert Eyton
- 1467: Sir Humphrey Blount Kt. of Kinlet Hall
- 1468: John Leighton of Watlesbury
- 1469: Robert Cresset
- 1470: Roger Kinaston (arm.)
- 1471: Roger Kinaston (mil.}
- 1472: Robert Charlton
- 1473: William Newport of High Ercall Hall
- 1474: John Leighton
- 1475: Sir Humphrey Blount Kt. of Kinlet Hall
- 1476: John Heuui
- 1477: Richard Lakin of Willey
- 1478: Richard Ludlow
- 1479: Richard Lee (grandson of Robert, HS 1387)
- 1480: Sir Thomas Blount of Kinlet Hall
- 1481: John Harley
- 1482: John Leighton
- 1483: Thomas Mytton
- 1484: Thomas Hord
- 1485: Robert Cresset and Gilbert Talbot
- 1486: John Talbot
- 1487: Richard Laken
- 1488: Thomas Hord
- 1489: Edward Blount
- 1490: Richard Ludlow
- 1491: John Newport of High Ercall Hall
- 1492: William Young of Kenton
- 1493: Edward Blount
- 1494: Thomas Blount
- 1495: Thomas Leighton and Richard Lee
- 1496: Richard Lee
- 1497: Thomas Screvin
- 1498: Richard Laken
- 1499: Richard Harley
- 1500: William Otteley
- 1501: John Newport
- 1502: Thomas Blount
- 1503–1504: Peter Newton of Hertley
- 1505: George Manwayring
- 1506: Thomas Cornwall (1st term)
- 1507: Sir Robert Corbet Kt. of Moreton Corbet castle
- 1508: Sir Thomas Kynaston Kt. of Hordley.
- 1509: Sir Thomas Laykin of Willey
- 1510: John Newport
- 1511: Thomas Scriven
- 1512: Peter Newton
- 1513: William Otteley
- 1514: Thomas Laken
- 1515: Thomas Cornwall (2nd term)
- 1516: Robert Pigott of Chetwynd Hall, Newport
- 1517: Peter Newton
- 1518: Thomas Blount
- 1519: Thomas Cornwall (3rd term)
- 1520: John Salter of Oswestry
- 1521: George Bromley
- 1522: Peter Newton of Bromley
- 1523: Thomas Vernon of Hodnet
- 1524: Thomas Cornwall
- 1525: Sir John Corbet of Leigh
- 1526: Thomas Screvin
- 1527: John Talbot
- 1528: Sir Robert Needham of Shenton, Adderley
- 1529: Roger Corbet
- 1530: John Blount died and replaced by Thomas Cornwall (4th term)
- 1531: Thomas Manwayring
- 1532: Thomas Laken
- 1533: Thomas Talbot
- 1534: Thomas Vernon
- 1535: Sir Robert Needham of Shenton, Adderley
- 1536: John Corbet
- 1537: John Talbot
- 1538: Richard Manwayring
- 1539: Sir Richard Lakyn of Willey
- 1540: Sir Robert Needham of Shenton, Adderley
- 1541: John Talbot
- 1542: Thomas Newport of High Ercall Hall
- 1543: Richard Mytton
- 1544: Richard Manwayring
- 1545: Thomas Vernon
- 1546: Thomas Lee
- 1547: William Young
- 1548: Richard Cornwall
- 1549: Thomas Newport
- 1550: Sir Andrew Corbet, Kt of Moreton Corbet castle
- 1551: Richard Newport of High Ercall Hall (1st term)
- 1552: Sir Richard Maynewaring 
- 1553: Sir Adam Mytton 
- 1554: Nicholas Cornwall 
- 1555: Sir Andrew Corbet, Kt of Moreton Corbet castle 
- 1556: Sir Richard Leveson 
- 1557: Richard Newport of High Ercall Hall (2nd term)
- 1558: Thomas Fermor 
- 1559: Richard Mytton
- 1560: Richard Corbet
- 1561: Richard Cornwall
- 1562: Arthur Manwayring
- 1563: Sir George Blount of Kinlet Hall
- 1564: Robert Needham of Shenton, Adderley
- 1565: Humphrey Onslow
- 1566: Thomas Charlton and Thomas Eyton of Eyton Hall, near Wellington
- 1567: Edward Leighton
- 1568: Richard Lewis
- 1569: Richard Newport of High Ercall Hall (3rd term)
- 1570: Sir Andrew Corbet, Kt of Moreton Corbet castle
- 1571: Rowland Lacon of Willey and Kinlet Hall
- 1572: William Gratewood
- 1573: Thomas Powell of Worthen
- 1574: Robert Pigott of Chetwynd Hall, Newport
- 1575: John Hopton
- 1576: Walter Leveson
- 1577: Arthur Maynwaring
- 1578: Francis Lawley of Spoon Hill
- 1579: William Young
- 1580: Edmund Cornwall of Burford, Shropshire
- 1581: William Gratewood
- 1582: Thomas Williams of Willaston
- 1583: Charles Fox of Chainham
- 1584: Richard Cresset
- 1585: Roul. Barker
- 1586: Francis Newport of High Ercall Hall (1st term)
- 1587: Robert Needham of Shenton, Adderley
- 1588: Edward Leighton
- 1589: Thomas Cornwall
- 1590: Andrew Charleton
- 1591: William Hopton
- 1592: Robert Eyton
- 1593: Richard Corbet of Moreton Corbet castle
- 1594: Robert Powel
- 1595: Francis Albany of Fern Hill
- 1596: Robert Needham of Shenton, Adderley
- 1597: Edward Scriven
- 1598: Charles Fox
- 1599: Edward Kynaston of Oteley
- 1600: Humphrey Lee
- 1601: Francis Newport of High Ercall Hall
- 1602: Francis Newton
- 1603: Roger Kynaston of Hordley.
- 1604: Sir Roger Owen, Kt of Condover
- 1605: Humphrey Brigges of Ernestry Park, Ludlow
- 1606: Sir Henry Wallop of Red Castle (Feb-Nov)
- 1607: Sir Robert Needham of Shenton, Adderley ( later Viscount Kilmorey)
- 1607: Sir Walter Chetwynd of Ingestre Hall, Staffordshire.
- 1608: Edward Fox
- 1609: Robert Purslow of Sidbury
- 1610: Richard Mitton (Thornes?) of Holston
- 1611: Bonham Norton
- 1612: Sir Francis Lacon of Kinlet Hall
- 1613: Thomas Gervis
- 1614: John Cotes of Woodcote
- 1615: Thomas Pigott of Chetwynd Hall, Newport
- 1616: Thomas Cornwall
- 1617: Roland Cotton of Bella Porte
- 1618: Robert Owen of Woodhouse
- 1619: Thomas Harris of Boreatton
- 1620: William Whitmore of Apley Hall
- 1621: Walter Barker
- 1622: Thomas Edwards of Creete
- 1623: Sir William Owen, Kt of Condover
- 1624: Walter Pigott of Chetwynd Hall, Newport
- 1625: Francis Charleton of Apley
- 1626: Richard Newport of High Ercall
- 1627: Richard Prince of Shrewsbury
- 1627: Samuel Wingfield of Preston Brockhurst
- 1628: John Corbet of Stoake
- 1629: Walter Acton of Aldenham
- 1630: Humphrey Walcott, Esq. (or Walcot) of Walcot
- 1631: Thomas Ireland of Abrington
- 1632: Sir Philip Eyton of Eyton Hall, near Wellington
- 1633: Thomas Thynne of Caus Castle
- 1634: Sir Thomas Cornwall of Burford, Shropshire
- 1635: John Newton of Heytley
- 1636: Robert Corbet
- 1637: Paul Harris
- 1638: William Pierpoint of Tong Castle 
- 1639: Richard Lee
- 1640: Roger Kynaston of Hordley.
- 1641: Thomas Nicholas of Shrewsbury
- 1642: John Welde of Willye
- 1643–1644: Civil war
- 1645: Thomas Mytton
- 1646: Robert Powel
- 1648: William Cotton 
- 1651: Sir Edward Corbet Kt.
- 1652: Francis Forester of Watling Street 
- 1654: Thomas Kynnersley of Badger Hall, near Bridgnorth
- 1656: Thomas Hunt of Boreatton Park
- 1659: Edward Waring
- 1660: William Oakeley of Oakeley
- 1661: John Walcott, MP (or Walcot) of Walcot
- 1663: Isaac Jones 
- 1665: Francis Charlton of Apley Castle 
- 1666: Sir Humphrey Brigges Bt. of Haughton Hall, Shifnal
- 1667: Robert Owen of Woodhouse
- 1670: Richard Cresswell 
- 1672: Rowland Hunt of Plaish
- 1675: Charles Foster of Everlicke 
- 1676: Sir John Corbet of Adderley Hall
- 1678: Thomas Cotton of Powley 
- 1679: Jonathan Langley 
- 1680: Linoen Topp of Whitton 
- 1682: Edward Kynaston of Hordley
- 1683: Richard Lyster of Rowton Castle 
- 1684: Sir Edward Acton, 3rd Baronet of Aldenham Hall
- 1686: Richard Mytton (son of Thomas, HS 1645)
- 1687: Ralph Browne of Caughley
- 1688: Robert Leighton 
- 1689: Francis Charlton 
- 1690: John Kynaston of Hordley
- 1691: John Tayleur of Rodington 
- 1692: Thomas Wingfield of Preston Brockhurst 
- 1693: Sir Edward Leighton, 1st Baronet of Wattlesborough Castle
- 1694: Sir Roger Owen of Condover
- 1695: Richard Leighton 
- 1696: Francis Herbert of Oakly Park, Ludlow 
- 1697: Robert Pigott of Chetwynd Hall, Newport.
- 1698: Sir Francis Charlton Bt. of Ludford Hall 
- 1700: Sir Robert Corbet, 4th Baronet
- 1701: Thomas Pardoe of Faintree
- 1702: Edward Cressett of Cound
- 1704: Sir William Wynn
- 1705: Thomas Childe of The Birch, Kinlet
- 1706: Bartholomew Lutley of Wolverton, Eaton under Heywood
- 1707: Robert Slaney, of Rudge and Hatton
- 1708: Roger Owen, of Condover
- 1711: Richard Cresswell 
- 1712: Charles Walcott (or Walcot), Esq., of Walcot
- 1713: William Tayleur of Rodington  (son of John, HS 1691)
- 1714: Bulkley Mackworth 
- 1715: William Church
- 1716: Sir John Wolryche, 4th Baronet 
- 1718: Thomas Hunt of Plaish
- 1720: Edward Jorden of Pripor's Leigh
- 1721: John Kynnersley of Badger Hall, near Bridgnorth
- 1722: Bromwich Pope of Wolstanton 
- 1723: William Cludde of Orleton
- 1724: Richard Oakley 
- 1725: Francis Walker
- 1726: Richard Leighton, of Rodenhurst 
- 1727: Sir Edward Leighton, 2nd Baronet 
- 1728: Sir Whitmore Acton, 4th Baronet of Aldenham Hall
- 1729: Thomas Jenkins of Chorton-Hill 
- 1730: Thomas Harries of Weston Lizard 
- 1731: Gray James Grove 
- 1732: Sir Rowland Hill, Bt
- 1733: Thomas Lloyd of Heightley 
- 1734: Thomas Beal 
- 1737: John Powell of Worthin 
- 1738: Adam Ottley 
- 1740: Richard Staler, of Pepperhill 
- 1741: Thomas Eyton of Eyton Hall, near Wellington
- 1742: Revel Moreton of Sheffnell 
- 1744: William Tayleur of Shrewsbury 
- 1745: Thomas Jones of Shrewsbury 
- 1746: George Weld of Willey
- 1747: Sir Hugh Brigges Bt. of Haughton Hall, Shifnal
- 1748: Job Charlton of Park 
- 1749: Charlton Leighton 
- 1751: Sir Richard Acton, 5th Baronet of Aldenham Hall
- 1753: Rowland Wingfield of Onslow
- 1754: Edward Pemberton of Wrockwardine 
- 1755: Francis Turner Blythe, of Shrewsbury 
- 1756: Anthony Kinnersly, of Leighton 
- 1757: St John Charlton of Apley Castle 
- 1758: John Amler, of Ford House, Ford
- 1760: John Smitheman of Madeley Wood, and Later of West Coppice, Buildwas
- 1763: Thomas Burton 
- 1764: Edward Rogers 
- 1767: Thomas Ottley (son of Adam, HS 1738)
- 1772: Nicholas Smythe, of Nibley
- 1774: Robert Pigott of Chetwynd Hall, Newport
- 1775: John Charlton Kinchant of Park Hall 
- 1778: Sir Robert Corbet Kt.
- 1779: Thomas Eyton of Eyton Hall, near Wellington
- 1781: Edward Charles Windsor 
- 1782: Charles Walcott (MP)
- 1783: Isaac Hawkins Browne of Badger Hall, near Bridgnorth
- 1784: William Child 
- 1785: Robert More of Linley
- 1785: John Sparling of Petton 
- 1786: Sir Robert Leighton, 5th Baronet 
- 1787: Humphrey Sandford 
- 1788: Joseph Muckleston of Prescot 
- 1789: Joseph Oldham, of Cainham
- 1791: Thomas Pardoe 
- 1792: Thomas Crompton 
- 1793: John Corbet, of Sundorne
- 1795: Henry Bevan of Shrewsbury 
- 1796: Ralph Leeke 
- 1797: William Tayleur of Buntingsdale  (son of William, HS 1713)
- 1798: Sir Andrew Corbet, 1st Baronet
- 1799: Thomas Dickin 
- 1801: Thomas Clarke of Peplow 
- 1802: Thomas Harries of Cruckton 
- 1804: Robert Burton of Longner 
- 1805: Thomas Whitmore of Apley Hall 
- 1808: Ralph Browne Wylde-Browne
- 1809: William Sparling of Petton  (son of John, HS 1785)
- 1814: William Cludde (previously Pemberton) of Orleton
- 1814: John Wingfield of Onslow 
- 1816: Sir Thomas John Tyrwhitt Jones Bt. of Stanley Hall
- 1819: Edward William Smythe Owen, of Condover
- 1821: Richard Heber, of Hodnett
- 1822: Robert Bridgman More, of Linley
- 1823: John Mytton 
- 1824: John Wingfield of Onslow 
- 1825: John Whitehall Dod of Cloverley 
- 1826: John Cotes of Woodcote Hall 
- 1827: William Tayleur
- 1828: Sir William Lacon Childe of Kinlet Hall
- 1829: Charles Kynaston Mainwaring of Oteley.
- 1830: Rowland Hunt, of Boreatton Park
- 1831: Sir Edward Joseph Smythe, 6th Baronet, of Acton Burnell Castle
- 1832: William Oakeley, of Oakeley
- 1833: Walter Moseley, of Buildwas Park
- 1834: Hon. Henry Wentworth Powys, of Berwick House
- 1835: Sir Baldwin Leighton, 7th Baronet, of Loton Park
- 1836: Sir William Rouse-Boughton, 2nd Baronet, of Downton
- 1837: Thomas Henry Hope, of Netley Hall
- 1838: William Wolryche Whitmore, of Dunmaston
- 1839: Peter Broughton, of Tunstall
- 1840: Thomas Eyton, of Eyton Hall, near Wellington
- 1841: Hon. Gustavus Frederick Hamilton, of Burwarton
- 1842: Henry Justice, of Hinstock
- 1843: Sir Andrew Corbet, 2nd Baronet, of Acton Reynald Hall
- 1844: John Charles Burton Borough, of Chetwynd Park
- 1845: St John Chiverton Charlton, of Apley Castle
- 1846: Richard Henry Kinchant, of Park Hall
- 1847: Joseph Venables Lovett, of Belmont
- 1848: William Henry Francis Plowden, of Plowden
- 1849: Panton Corbett, of Longnor
- 1850: Ralph Merrick Leeke, of Longford
- 1851: Robert Henry Cheney, of Badger Hall
- 1852: Robert Burton, of Longner Hall
- 1853: Algernon Charles Heber-Percy, of Hodnet Hall
- 1854: Robert Aglionby Slaney, of Walford Manor
- 1855: Willoughby Hurt Sitwell, of Bucknall
- 1856: Edward Lloyd Gatacre, of Gatacre
- 1857: Sir William Curtis, 3rd Baronet, of Caynham Court, Caynham
- 1858: Edmund Wright, of Halston
- 1859: Charles Orlando Childe Pemberton, of Millichope Park
- 1860: Sir Charles Henry Rouse-Boughton, 11th Baronet, of Downton Hall, Stanton Lacy
- 1861: George Pritchard, of Broseley
- 1862: Sir Vincent Rowland Corbet, 3rd Baronet, of Acton Reynald Hall
- 1863: Thomas Charlton Whitmore, of Apley Park
- 1864: David Francis Atcherley, of Marton Hall
- 1865: Francis Harries, of Cruckton
- 1866: Thomas Hugh Sandford, of Sandford
- 1867: Sir Charles Frederick Smythe, 7th Baronet, of Acton Burnell Castle
- 1868: Charles Spencer Lloyd, of Leaton Knolls
- 1869: John Rocke, of Clungunford
- 1870: Salusbury Kynaston Mainwaring, of Otley Park
- 1871: William Kenyon Slaney, of Hatton Grange
- 1872: John Henniker Lovett, of Fern Hill, Oswestry
- 1873: Charles George Wingfield, of Onslow, Shrewsbury
- 1874: Richard Thomas Lloyd, of Aston Hall, Oswestry
- 1875: Sir Henry George Harnage, 3rd Baronet, of Belswardine
- 1876: Arthur Mostyn Owen, of Woodhouse
- 1877: Sir Henry Thomas Tyrwhitt, 3rd Baronet, of Stanley Hall, Bridgnorth
- 1878: The Honourable Robert Charles Herbert, of Orleton
- 1879: Henry de Grey Warter, of Longden Manor
- 1880: Charles Donaldson-Hudson, of Cheswardine Hall
- 1881: Robert Jasper More, of Linley Hall
- 1882: James Jenkinson Bibby, of Hardwicke Grange, Hadnall
- 1883: William Orme Foster, of Apley Park
- 1884: Charles John Morris, of Oxon
- 1885: William Edward Montagu Hulton-Harrop, of Lythwood Hall
- 1886: Arthur Sparrow, of Preen Manor
- 1887: Sir Offley Wakeman, 3rd Baronet, of Rorrington Lodge, Chirbury
- 1888: Arthur Pemberton Heywood-Lonsdale, of Shavington
- 1889: John Tayleur, of Buntingsdale, Market Drayton
- 1890: Thomas Slaney Eyton, of Walford Hall, Shrewsbury
- 1891: Sir Edward Ripley, 2nd Baronet, of Bedstone Court, Bucknell,
- 1892: Henry Reginald Corbet, of Adderley Hall, Market Drayton
- 1893: John Derby Allcroft, of Stokesay Court, Onibury
- 1894: Francis Stanier, of Peplow Hall, Market Drayton
- 1895: Edward Wood, of Culmington Manor, Craven Arms
- 1896: William Henry Whitaker, of Totterton Hall, Lydbury North
- 1897: John Baddeley Wood, of Henley Hall, Ludlow
- 1898: Sir Walter Orlando Corbet, 4th Baronet, of Acton Reynald, Shrewsbury
- 1899: Hugh Ker Colville, of Bellaport Hall, Market Drayton
- 1900: Frank Bibby of Hardwicke Grange, Hadnall.
- 1901: John Sidney Burton-Borough of Chetwynd Park, Newport
- 1902: James Augustine Harvey Thursby-Pelham of Cound Hall, Shrewsbury
- 1903: William Henry Foster of Apley Park, Bridgnorth
- 1904: Herbert James Hope-Edwards of Netley, Dorrington, Shrewsbury
- 1905: Charles Edward Morris of Oxon, near Shrewsbury
- 1906: Alfred Edmund William Darby of Adcote, near Baswich
- 1907: Charles Francis Kynaston Mainwaring of Otley Park, Ellesmere
- 1908: Edward Charles Ayshford Sanford CMG, of Chipley Park, Wellington
- 1909: Alfred Wynne Corrie of Park Hall, Oswestry
- 1910: Sir Raymond Robert Tyrwhitt-Wilson Bt ( later Baron Berners of Stanley Hall.
- 1911: Edward Brocklehurst Fielden of Condover Hall, Shrewsbury
- 1912: Alexander Cowan McCorquodale, of Cound Hall, Shrewsbury
- 1913: Charles Ralph Borlase Wingfield of Onslow, near Shrewsbury.
- 1914: Sir William St Andrew Rouse-Boughton Bt. of Downton Hall, Stanton Lacy.
- 1915: William Swire of Longden Manor,Shrewsbury
- 1916: James Volant Wheeler of Bitterley Court, Bitterley, Ludlow
- 1917: John Reid Walker of Ruckley Grange, Shifnal
- 1918: John Henry Arthur Whitley of Bourton, Much Wenlock
- 1919: Lt Col Nathaniel Ffarington Eckersley of The Trench, Wem
- 1920: Henry Ernest Whittaker of Ludford Park, Ludlow
- 1921: Captain James Whittaker of Winsley Hall, Shrewsbury
- 1922: Colonel John Robert Howard-McLean of Aston Hall, Shifnal
- 1923: Alfred Rowland Clegg of Nash Court near Tenbury
- 1924: Captain Harry Anthony Van Bergen of Ferney Hall, near Craven Arms
- 1925: Humphrey Sandford, of The Isle, Shrewsbury
- 1926: Norman William Howard-McLean, of Brereton Hall 
- 1927: Lieut.-Col. Ralph Charles Donaldson - Hudson of Cheswardine, Market Drayton
- 1928: Major Herbert Rushton Sykes, of Lydham Manor, Bishops Castle.
- 1929: Capt. Frank Brian Frederic Bibby, of Sansaw, Shrewsbury.
- 1930: John Arthur Gwynn Sparrow, of Albrighton Hall, Shrewsbury 
- 1931: Lieut.-Col. Harold Platt Sykes, of Longford Hall, Newport 
- 1932: Major Arthur William Foster of Apley Park, Bridgnorth 
- 1933: John Russell Allcroft, of Stokesay Court, Onibury 
- 1934: Sir Offley Wakeman Bt. of Yeaton Peverey House, near Shrewsbury
- 1935: Robert Orlando Rodolph Kenyon-Slaney of Hatton Grange, Shifnal
- 1936: Lt Col Hon Francis Henry Cecil Weld-Forrester of Decker Hill, Shifnal
- 1937: Joseph Eccles, of Halston Hall, Whittington, Oswestry 
- 1938: Col. Charles Reginald Morris-Eyton of Walford Manor, Baschurch, Shrewsbury 
- 1939: Major Charles Morris Threlfall, of Ruyton Manor, Shrewsbury 
- 1940: Sir Edward Hotham Rouse-Boughton Bt. of Downton Hall, Stanton Lacy.
- 1941: Lieut.-Col. Roger Arthur Mostyn-Owen, of Woodhouse, Oswestry 
- 1942: Major Anthony Charles Stevens Bovill, of Mytton Hall, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury 
- 1943: Lieut.-Col. John Nicholas Price Wood, of Henley Hall, Ludlow 
- 1944: Major Lawrence Warner Wyld Lees, of Old Hall, Cheswardine, Market Drayton 
- 1945: Lieut.-Colonel George Paton Pollitt of Harnage Grange, Cressage, Shrewsbury 
- 1946: Wiston John Kynnersley-Browne of Leighton Hall, Shrewsbury 
- 1947: Reginald Adam Black, of Prees Hall, Whitchurch 
- 1948: Folliott Sandford Neale, of Berwick House, Shrewsbury 
- 1949: Captain Codrington Gwynne Reid Walker, of Ruckley Grange, Shifnal 
- 1950: Major Reginald Culcheth Holcroft, of Wrentnall House, Pulverbatch, Shrewsbury 
- 1951: Brigadier Sir Alexander Beville Gibbons Stanier, 2nd Baronet of The Citadel, Weston, Shrewsbury.
- 1952: Lieut-Colonel William Warburton Hayes, of Harcourt, Stanton, Shrewsbury.
- 1953: Charles Wingfield of Onslow, near Shrewsbury.
- 1954: Lieut.-Colonel Edward Anthony Fielden of Court of Hill, Ludlow 
- 1955: Arthur Frederick Vavasour McConnell, of Hampton Hall, Worthen 
- 1956: Sir Richard Tihel Leighton Bt. of Loton Park
- 1957: Col. J.S. Burton Borough
- 1958: Sir Oliver William Hargreaves Leese Bt., K.C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O.,of Lower Hall, Worfield, Bridgnorth.
- 1959: Captain Richard William Corbett of The Dower House, Longnor, near Shrewsbury.
- 1960: Arthur Nicholas Fielden, of Cruckton Cottage, Shrewsbury.
- 1961: Lieut.-Colonel Arthur Patrick Sykes of Lydham Manor, Bishop's Castle.
- 1962: Brigadier James Norman Ritchie of Yeaton House, Baschurch 
- 1963: Major Edward Fitzhardinge Peyton Gage, of Chyknell, Bridgnorth
- 1964: Charles Hugh Rogers-Coltman of The Home, Bishop's Castle
- 1965: Brigadier Gordon Forbes Maclean of Pentreheylin, Maesbrook, Llanymynech.
- 1966: Lieut.-Colonel Sir John Vincent Corbet, 7th Baronet of Acton Reynald, Shrewsbury.
- 1967: William Francis Godfrey Plowden of Plowden Hall, Lydbury North.
- 1968: John Leigh Reed of Sidbury Hall, Bridgnorth.
- 1969: Peter George Culcheth Holcroft of Eaton Mascott Hall, Berrington, near Shrewsbury.
- 1970: Major Hubert Robert Holden of Sibdon Castle, Craven Arms.
- 1971: John Seymour Evan Rocke of Clungunford House, Craven Arms.
- 1972: Major Francis John Yates, of The Wood, CodsaH Wood, near Wolverhampton 
- 1973: Robert Ivan Kenyon-Slaney of Hatton Grange, Shifnal.
- 1974: Captain John Michael George Lumsden of Henley Hall, Ludlow.
- 1975: Colonel Guy Mytton Thornycroft, of The Mount, Cressage, near Shrewsbury 
- 1976: Lieut.-Col. Robert Charles Henry Armitstead, of Stoke Court, Greete, Ludlow
- 1977: Peter Howard Thompson, of Coton Hall, Bridgnorth
- 1978: John Anthony Fielden, of Court of Hill, Ludlow.
- 1979: William Simon Rodolph Kenyon-Slaney, of Chyknell, Bridgnorth.
- 1980: Lieut-Colonel Robert Charles Gilfrid Morris-Eyton,T.D., of Calvington Manor, Newport.
- 1981: Vesey Martin Edward Holt, of Orleton Hall, Wellington, Telford.
- 1982: John Cyril Yeoward of Newcastle Court, Clun, Craven Arms
- 1983: David Langdon Upton Scott, of Harnage Grange, Cressage.
- 1984: Christopher Ronald Thompson, of Aldenham Park, Morville, near Bridgnorth.
- 1985: Christopher Stephen Motley, of Chilton Grove, Atcham, near Shrewsbury
- 1986: Timothy Claud Heywood-Lonsdale, of The Old Laundry, Shavington, Market Drayton.
- 1987: Algernon Eustace Hugh Heber-Percy
- 1988: Roger Everard Angell-James, of Berwick House, Shrewsbury.
- 1989: David Robin Bibby Thompson of Sansaw, Clive, Shrewsbury.
- 1990: Denis Peareth Hornell Lennox, of The Old Mill, Bayton, near Kidderminster, Worcestershire, died and was replaced by Hugh Bernard Meynell, of Brockton Court, Shifnal
- 1991: Lionel Richard Jebb, of The Lyth, Ellesmere.
- 1992: Edward Martin Amphlett Thompson, of The Bolt Hole, Six Ashes, Bridgnorth.
- 1993: Roger Michael Gabb
- 1994: Jeremy Hugh Gifford Lywood of Ashford Court,Ashford Carbonel, Ludlow.
- 1995: Nicholas Edward Egerton Stephens of Grafton Lodge, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury.
- 1996: Timothy William Edward Corbett, Esq., of The Dower House, Longnor, Shrewsbury.
- 1997: Elizabeth Catherine Weld-Forester, Baroness Forester, of Willey Park
- 1998: Lindsay Claude Neils Bury, of Millichope Park, Munslow, Craven Arms.
- 1999: Jonathan Rupert Blakiston Lovegrove-Fielden, of Longden Manor, Pontesford, Shrewsbury
- 2000: Richard Panton Corbett, of Grove Farm House
- 2001: John Richard Ravenscroft, of The Old Rectory
- 2002: John Nicholas Richard Neville Bishop, of Shipton Hall
- 2003: Julian Veronica Morgan, of 1 Silk Mill Lane, Ludlow
- 2004: Humphrey Salwey CBE TD, of The Lodge, Overton
- 2005: Michael John Lowe
- 2006: Anthony Richard Tanner
- 2007: Meriel Rose Afia LVO
- 2008: Anne Gee MBE
- 2009: Anna Turner
- 2010: Hugh Trevor-Jones
- 2011: Richard Henry Burbidge OBE DL BA
- 2012: John Abram of Oswestry