Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families from Bremen, Germany

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

  • Elias "Eli" Schragenheim (1876 - 1942)
    Eintrag im »Gedenkbuch« des Bundesarchivs:Schragenheim, Elias geboren am 03. April 1876 in Bremen / - / Bremen wohnhaft in BremenDeportation: ab Hamburg 18. November 1941, Minsk, GhettoTodesdatum: 28. ...
  • Dr. med Samuel Schragenheim (1879 - 1918)
    Especially valuable genealogical details here in biography on celebrated botanist father Moritz GOLDSCHMIDT:Goldschmidt"Im Oktober 1917 fiel sein Sohn Paul, kurz darauf im März 1918 auch Otto Arnold. G...
  • Moshe Moses Isaak Schragenheim (1849 - 1926)
    cf. Yad Vashem page of testimony submitted by son of Samuel for his "uncle" Eli ...
  • Therese Schragenheim (1848 - 1933)
    cf. Yad Vashem page of testimony submitted by son of Samuel for his "uncle" Eli ...
  • Therese Schragenheim (1883 - 1942)
    Eintrag im »Gedenkbuch« des Bundesarchivs:Schragenheim, Therese geborene Markreich geboren am 17. Mai 1883 in Weener / - / Hannover wohnhaft in BremenDeportation: ab Hamburg 18. November 1941, Minsk, G...

This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the town of Bremen, Germany also known as Brême [Fr], Brémy [Cz, Slov], Brema [Pol, Ital, Lat], Bréma [Hun].

JewishGen-Bremen

Information from various sources including the following:

https://dbs.bh.org.il/place/bremen

Bremen City in Germany.

There are a few references to Jews in Bremen from 1199.

In 1345 Jews were prohibited from trading in Bremen, but Jewish moneylenders are still mentioned in the 14th century. Subsequently Jews were not admitted to Bremen until 1803, when the inclusion of the Hanoverian townships of Barkhof and Hastedt within the boundaries of Bremen brought a viable Jewish community within its jurisdiction.

Although Jewish settlement was still officially prohibited in Bremen, at the time of the Napoleonic wars several Jewish families were living in the city, besides those settled in the two suburbs.

The Bremen community sent representatives to the congress of Vienna in 1815 to press for Jewish rights in the German cities. The community in Bremen continued to grow, still without official authorization, and numbered 87 in 1821. The situation was regularized by the act of 1848 permitting Jews to settle in the city, and the community moved its institutions from Hastedt into Bremen.

A synagogue was built in the Gartenstrasse in 1876. Subsequently, Bremen became an important port of transit for many thousands of Jews emigrating from Eastern Europe to America. The Jewish population in the land Bremen numbered approximately 2,000 in 1933, including 1,314 living in the city.

On Nov. 9, 1938, five Jews in Bremen were murdered and all the Jewish men were sent to Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg concentration camp. Between 1941 and 1942 most of the Bremen Jews were deported to Lodz, Minsk, and Theresienstadt.

951 Jews from Bremen perished in the holocaust.

A new community was founded after the war, and a new synagogue was inaugurated in 1961. There were about 150 Jews living in the land Bremen in 1967, and 132 in 1989.

As a result of the arrival of Jews from the former Soviet Union, their number rose to 1,154 in 2003.

Official text written by Researchers of The Museum of The Jewish People at Beit Hatfutsot

And also ...

http://germansynagogues.com/index.php/synagogues-and-communities?pi...

Bremen

General information: First Jewish presence: 14th century (see below); peak Jewish population: 1,813 in 1910; Jewish population in 1933: 1,314

Summary: We know very little about the lives of Jews in Bremen before the 14th century; however, beginning in that century, records increasingly refer to a Jewish presence in the city. In 1802, Bremen annexed Hastedt, home to an unspecified number of “protected” Jews, as well as a Jewish cemetery at 1796 Deichbruchstrasse. In 1803, when the Jews of Bremen founded their own community, the Hastedt cemetery became Bremen’s official Jewish burial site (enlarged in 1909). In Bremen, Jews were granted civil rights in March 1849, after which the Jewish population increased and religious life flourished. Services were conducted in rented prayer rooms until 1876, when a synagogue was inaugurated at 6 Gartenstrasse (present-day Kolpingstrasse). Leopold Rosenak, an Orthodox rabbi, was hired in 1896 and served the community for 27 years. Local Jews also maintained a mikveh (on Vohnenstrasse), a school for religious studies (on Grosse Johannisstrasse) and, beginning in 1922, an old-age home on Groepelinger Heerstrasse. In 1927, a community center—it was called Rosenak House—was opened at 7 Gartenstrasse; the center accommodated a teachers’ library, classrooms and offices. In or around 1910, Eastern European Jews founded the Bet HaMidrash Schomre Schabbos (“House of Learning of the Shabbat Observant”), on Sebaldsbruecker Heerstrasse. In June 1933, 1,314 Jews lived in Bremen. Several welfare organizations were active in the community, as were branches of nationwide organizations, Jewish foundations, cultural associations, sports clubs and youth groups. In 1932/33, 115 schoolchildren studied religion under the guidance of a rabbi. We also know that on September 30 that year, six SA men entered the synagogue at night and stole books and documents. On Pogrom Night, at some point after midnight, local SA members set the synagogue on fire. The Rosenak House was looted and damaged, Jewish shops and homes were destroyed and the Bet HaMidrash and the Jewish old-age home were attacked. One Jew committed suicide, two were murdered and many were arrested and detained in the schoolyard. The following day, more than 160 Jewish men were sent to the jail in Bremen-Oslebshausen; they were later deported to Sachsenhausen and interned there until December 1938. Bremen’s Jewish cemetery was desecrated on the afternoon of November 10, 1938. After the destruction of the synagogue, services were moved to the school on 6 Kohlhoekerstrasse. Between 1933 and 1941, roughly 930 local Jews emigrated. In 1941, the remaining Jews were forcibly moved to so-called “Jews’ Houses.” Approximately 650 Bremen Jews were deported in 1941, 1942 and 1945. According to records, 165 Bremen Jews worked as forced laborers in Bremen-Farge in 1944. At least 849 Bremen Jews perished in the Shoah. The Jewish community, reestablished in August 1945, conducted services in a private residence at Osterdeich until August 1961, when a synagogue was inaugurated at 117 Schwachhauser Heerstrasse. Bremen’s Jewish cemetery was declared an historic site in 1978. Numerous memorial plaques and stones have been unveiled in Bremen since 1982—at, among other locations, Kolpinghaus, Landherrnamt, Am Barkhof High School, the Jewish old-age home in Groepelingen, and the new synagogue.

Author / Sources: Heidemarie Wawrzyn Sources: EJL, FGJ, JGNB1, SIA, YV friedhof-bremen.jimdo.com www.rosenak-haus.de www.denktag.de Located in: Bremen

Jewish cemetery details:

BREMEN | bremen - International Jewish Cemetery Project

https://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/bremen/bremen.html

Stolpersteine:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Stolpersteine_in_Bremen

&

http://www.stolpersteine-bremen.de/suche.php