Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Rabbis and students of Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin - (Lublin, Poland)

רבני ותלמידי ישיבת חכמי לובלין

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva

Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva (Hebrew: ישיבת חכמי לובלין‎, "Academy of the Sages of Lublin"; Polish: Jeszywas Chachmej Lublin) was a yeshiva which operated in Lublin from 1930 to 1940. At the time, it was one of the largest in the world. It was established in1930 by Rabbi Meir Shapiro (founder of Daf Hayomi ). Aftter his death he was replaced by Rabbi Aryeh Zvi Frommer (Rabbi of Kozieglowy), Rabbi Aryeh Leib Landa and Rabbi Avraham Yaakov Horowitz .

History and structure of the yeshiva

On May 22–28, 1924, the cornerstone laying ceremony took place for the construction of the yeshiva building. Approximately 50,000 people participated in the event.

The opening ceremony took place on June 24–25, 1930. Apart from thousands of local Jews, around 10,000 people arrived from all over Poland and abroad.The yeshiva was established to restore the crown of the city of Lublin to its former glory, as an important center of Torah study in Poland, and especially to restore the greatness of the yeshiva established in Lublin in 1515.

The spiritual overseer of the yeshiva was Rabbi Shimon Zelichover . With the death of Rabbi Meir Shapira in 1933 , Rabbi Aryeh Zvi Fromer was appointed Rosh Yeshiva and served in the position until it was dispersed by the Nazis in 1939. Rabbi Moshe Friedman, the Rebbe of Boyan-Kraków , was appointed president of the yeshiva.

The yeshiva building was designed in an eclectic style that includes oriental features by the architect Agnor Shmolkovsky. At the time of its establishment, the yeshiva was one of the most glorious in Poland. Its uniqueness was that it provided for all the needs of the students, including food and accommodation, and they did not have to rely on homeowners in the area as was customary until then. The yeshiva had about 400 students and was housed in a magnificent six-story building. Most of the study of the yeshiva was in the order of "Kodshim" and there was even a model of the Temple for study purposes. The yeshiva had a rich Torah library with 22,000 books.

In 1934 the first class of students graduated from the yeshiva.

In 1940, the Nazis destroyed the yeshiva equipment and library, which they burned in a public ceremony in the market square in front of the Jews of Lublin. The combustion lasted 20 hours. An officer who witnessed the event reported that a brass band played while a Jewish throng loudly wept as the books burned. The building became the regional headquarters of the German Military Police. After the war, in the autumn of 1945, the property was taken over by the state as an abandoned possession and assigned to the newly-established Marie Curie-Skłodowska University. It was used by the Medical University of Lublin.

After the war

Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin was re-established in Bnei Brak by Rabbi Shmuel Wosner who was a student of the yeshiva in Lublin.

Elementary school was established under the name Chachmei Lubllin in Detroit, Michigan. In 1964, it was reimbursed for the Lublin Yeshiva building, receiving $177,042.25.

After the war, the building served Lublin Polish academic institutions. In 1952 it served as a Catholic University. In 2003 it was returned to the Jewish community and today it belongs to the Jewish community in Warsaw. Beginning in 2007, a large-scale renovation of the building began, as part of which the beit midrash was restored. The synagogue, the first to be entirely renovated by the Jewish community of Poland since World War II, was reopened on February 11, 2007.

As of October 2013, a four-star hotel named Hotel Ilan was opened in the building

The yeshiva curriculum

The yeshiva welcomed outstanding young men with the potential to become rabbis and great men in Torah. The entry tests required mastery of the Tractates of Yoma , Pesachim , Beitza , Brachot and Shabbat in the Gemara , with commentaries - a total of over 400 pages of Gemara. In addition, the students were required to master the mishnayot of Tractate Tamid and Midot , the laws of "beit Habechira" in the book Yad HaHazka of the Rambam and in the laws of the Orach Chaim section of the Shulchan Aruch .

A student admitted to a yeshiva could be ordained a rabbi within four years and was recognized as a rabbi after two more years.

Yeshiva graduates

English Wikipedia
Hebrew Wikipedia Translated

ישיבת חכמי לובלין (המוכרת גם כיח"ל) הוקמה בעיר לובלין בפולין בשנת 1930 על ידי רבי מאיר שפירא (מייסד מפעל הדף היומי). לאחר מכן החליפוהו הרב אריה צבי פרומר (רבה של העיר קוז'יגלוב), הרב אריה לייב לנדא והרב אברהם יעקב הורוביץ.

תולדות ומבנה הישיבה

הישיבה הוקמה כדי להחזיר את עטרת העיר לובלין ליושנה, כמרכז חשוב של לימוד תורה בפולין, ובמיוחד כדי לשחזר את גדולתה של הישיבה שהוקמה בלובלין המשגיח הרוחני של הישיבה היה רבי שמעון מזליחוב. עם פטירתו של רבי מאיר שפירא בשנת 1933 מונה הרב אריה צבי פרומר לראש הישיבה ושימש בתפקיד עד לפיזורה על ידי הנאצים בשנת 1939, כנשיא הישיבה מונה רבי משה פרידמן האדמו"ר מבויאן-קראקא.

בניין הישיבה תוכנן בסגנון אקלקטי הכולל מאפיינים מזרחיים על ידי האדריכל אגנור שמולקובסקי. בעת הקמתה הייתה הישיבה מן המפוארות שבפולין. ייחודה היה בכך שהיא סיפקה את כל צורכי התלמידים, לרבות אוכל ולינה, והם לא היו צריכים להיסמך על בעלי בתים בסביבה כפי שהיה נהוג עד אז. בישיבה למדו כ-400 תלמידים והיא שכנה בבניין מפואר בן שש קומות. עיקר לימוד הישיבה היה בסדר קודשים ואף היה בישיבה דגם של בית המקדש לצורכי לימוד. בישיבה הייתה ספרייה תורנית עשירה ובה 22,000 ספרים.

בשנת 1934 סיים את הישיבה המחזור הראשון של תלמידים.

בשנת 1940 השמידו הנאצים את ציוד הישיבה וספריה, אותם שרפו בטקס פומבי בכיכר השוק בפני יהודי לובלין. הבעירה ארכה 20 שעות.

'"הייתה זו גאווה לנו להחריב את האקדמיה התלמודית הזאת, שהייתה נודעת כגדולה ביותר בפולין. השלכנו החוצה את כל הספרים הקדושים של היהודים והצתנו אותם. עשרים שעות שלמות השתוללו הלהבות. יהודי לובלין עמדו מסביב ובכו, אולם הוזמנה תזמורת צבאית והצלילים העליזים של המוזיקה החיילית החרישו את יללת היהודים."'

— ביטאון הנוער הגרמני "דויטשה יוגענד צייטונג"

לאחר המלחמה

אחרי השואה הקים רבי שמואל הלוי ווזנר ישיבה בעלת אותה שם, ישיבת חכמי לובלין בשכונת זיכרון מאיר בבני ברק, לזכרה של הישיבה המקורית. בית ספר יסודי בשם זה הוקם בדטרויט שבמישיגן[. רחוב 'חכמי לובלין' קיים בשכונת בית ישראל בירושלים.

לאחר המלחמה שימש הבניין בלובלין מוסדות אקדמיים פולניים. בשנת 1952 פעלה בו אוניברסיטה קתולית. בשנת 2004 הוחזר לידי הקהילה היהודית וכיום הוא שייך לקהילה היהודית בוורשה ומשמש כסניפה בלובלין. החל משנת 2007 הוחל בשיפוץ רחב היקף של הבניין, שבמסגרתו שוחזר בית המדרש, ובניין הישיבה הפך למרכז הארחה ליהודים המבקרים במקום. בשנת 2005 התקיים בו טקס חגיגי של סיום לימוד הדף היומי באירופה על ידי ארגון מרכז רבני אירופה, בהשתתפות אדמו"רים ורבנים ידועים. תוכנית הלימודים בישיבה
הישיבה קיבלה לשורותיה בחורים מצטיינים, בעלי פוטנציאל להיות רבנים וגדולים בתורה. מבחני הקבלה דרשו שליטה במסכתות יומא, פסחים, ביצה, ברכות ושבת בגמרא, עם מפרשים - בסך הכל מעל ל-400 דפי גמרא. בנוסף נדרשו התלמידים לשלוט במשניות מסכת תמיד ומידות, הלכות בית הבחירה בספר יד החזקה להרמב"ם ובהלכות הספר אורח חיים מהשולחן ערוך.

תלמיד שהתקבל לישיבה יכול היה לקבל סמיכה לרבנות בתוך ארבע שנים והיה מוכר כרב אחרי שנתיים נוספות.
(ויקפדיה)

https://kollublin.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/%D7%99%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%91...