Stirlingshire Main Page
Historic County of Scotland
This is the Umbrella project for Stirlingshire
Still to come
Stirlingshire Genealogical Resources
- Administrative centre Stirling
- Chapman County Code - STI
- Gaelic Name Siorrachd Sruighlea
- Famous for:
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Stirling Castle
- Area - about 489 square miles or 312,960 acres.
- Succeeded by Now Stirling which includes part of Perthshire
- County Flower - Mountain Pansy
Stirlingshire, or the County of Stirlingshire, is a registration county of Scotland bordering Perthshire to the north, Clackmannanshire and West Lothian to the east, Lanarkshire to the south, and Dunbartonshire to the south-west.
Until the 1890s the county had two small exclaves: part of the parish of Logie, which was surrounded by Perthshire, and the parish of Alva, locally in Clackmannanshire. The Perthshire part of Logie was added to Stirlingshire, while Alva was annexed by Clackmannanshire.
See a Full Size version of this map - use the magnifier if necessary.
- St Ninians
Not on the Map
- Lecroft - Perthshire
- Logie - see Perthshire
- New Kilpatrick, see : New Kilpatrick in Dunbartonshire
- The Royal Burgh of Stirling (from the 12th century)
- The Burgh of Bridge of Allan (a police burgh from 1870)
- The Burgh of Denny and Dunipace (a police burgh from 1877)
- The Burgh of Falkirk (a burgh of barony from 1600, reformed 1832)
- The Burgh of Grangemouth (a police burgh from 1877)
- The Burgh of Kilsyth (a burgh of barony from 1620, a police burgh from 1878)
In 1930 Falkirk and Stirling became large burghs, taking over some of the duties of the county council. The remaining four burghs became "small burghs", with limited powers.
- Endrick, and
If you have Stirlingshire connections please join the project.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!