MyHeritage -- Snaps Up Geni.com

Started by Peter Rohel (c) on Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 211-240 of 783 posts

Enrique Treat Gleason (Gleeson), Esq. What i said was not ment to upset you. I am on the side of lifetime subscribers. I just think that Geni is the caravan and it doesn´t care what the dogs think or say (bark) about it. If there are crazy and mad dogs who can stop the caravan and teach a lesson, then maybe it will bring some sense again in the heads of the deciders and willingness to overthink if there is significant opposition. Now i see that if Geni says something then Amen with that and end of story.

BTW.. Welcome to my family, Michael.......or are you welcoming me to yours?

Amen to everything you said, Diane. This is not right. I really hope MH/Geni decides to redeem themselves by honoring Lifetime Subscriptions, whether it be by their choice, or by the decision of the courts. I will not accept a simple refund. I will either receive what I am owed, or I will spend the next 5 years building my tree elsewhere.

Wow what a blow when I received and read the email regarding Geni.com and My Heritage and all the sweet talk about My Heritage and my lifetime subscription now only good 5 years.

I feel gypped. I already felt bad when Geni started to charge to be able to merge or view profiles. But Geni needs to earn somehow right? So I decided to take not just the 5 year subscription but the lifetime subscription. This way the long hours I have spent in building my family tree since 2007 and being able to share it with relatives living in different parts of the world will not go waste. Geni.com for sure will always be there by my doing so.

Now what is the use of that lifetime membership offer if only after 2-3 years geni.com is breaking it easily.

It is not enough saying My Heritage does not have lifetime membership.
Geni.com offered the lifetime membership so it is Geni,com 's responsibility to ensure and make My Heritage honor it (i,e grandfather clause).

Private User please check your mailbox on here.. our path changed we are related. geni changes so quickly and so offen with the path engine it's now i think not 14th cousins but 16th cousins now at one point it was second cousin 13 times removed's 11th great niece. (other parts well they won't be changing unless a certian well-known warm place freezes over i'm very sorry to say!)

Michael....I don't even attempt to figure that stuff out.

Well put, (anonymous subscriber)! I completely agree!

The latest e-mail from subscriptions is below. They're not getting it at all...

"Please know that we unfortunately no longer support lifetime subscriptions with Geni being acquired by MyHeritage which is the reason we provided the offer of the 5 year Geni Pro and 5 year MyHeritage data subscriptions. Because you already have your family tree on Geni, we thought that you would get more value out of a data subscription. We are working on integrating MyHeritage's historical records into Geni. In the future, we'll show you historical records that match your Geni profiles and let you add them to Geni as sources very easily.
You may continue working on your family tree with the 5 year Geni Pro or with the Geni Basic, if you choose to receive a refund.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed."

Private User - You said "While we can no longer honor the lifetime subscriptions we were hoping that our users would be just as happy and excited as us about getting the data subscription. That being said if you are not satisfied then we welcome you to email us at subscriptions@geni.com so we can work with you towards a satisfactory solution"

What happened to "so we can work with you towards a satisfactory solution"?? Here's your money back and you are a Basic Member, OR here's a 5-year Geni-Pro Membership and a Data-Package you have no interest in are clearly neither a "satisfactory solution"!!

Nor does it sound like there is any "work with you" involved!!

Private - are you purposely trying to sabotage the efforts of others, or is there some other reason you keep repeating your pessimistic view? I think we all understand that you do not think it is worth trying, so please do not keep repeating it.

lois for once i agree with you. michael you are way out of line with the drivel you keep spouting

Private User, Great news to hear you have the original contract! I've heard several saying they wished they'd kept it. I'd like to see it myself. Email me.
Private User & Jason Scott Wills Thank you for saying something I wanted to say! I am thinking it's just an automated reply.

Jill...back to private e-mail......coming soon........

As recently as last year, Geni [indirectly] defined Lifetime = approximately 25 years.

I bought my l lifetime account when Geni was advertising it as follows:

Choose Membership:
* 1 year for $59.40 (only $4.95/month)
* 2 years for $95.04 Save 20% (only $3.96/month)
* 5 years for $148.50 Save 50% (only $2.48/month)
* $299 lifetime Save 80%

If $299 represents an 80% savings over the regular (at that time) membership rate of $4.95 per month, then that means 99 cents per month for 302 months, or 25.2 years.

See http://www.geni.com/discussions/91823?msg=686017

Andrew.....it can rest after "it's colder than blue blazes here in Wisconsin this morning".
At least I had a small but "non-fruitful" with Charles. He has failed to answer my latest e-mail and that was 2 days ago!
I remember my screaming when Geni started charging for the site. Looking at their pictures, I doubt the people I dealt with then (a year ago) are still there. I couldn't get paid enough to take the abuse they are dealing with right now from subscribers.
I had saved my e-mail and it has DATES on it......dates that are specific and stretch probably beyond my years. I was hoping that "Lifetime" meant I could leave my tree for a family member to continue....or at least view.
I'm not sure I have the strength to initiate the action as I just got out of 4 1/2 years of litigation on another subject (which I won!). You have no idea what 4 1/2 years of emotional litigation can do to you....days and weeks and months of sleepless nights.
I have started to copy documents and highlight important entries.
I think the important thing is I have a document with DATES...not just the term "lifetime".
I'm having 30 for Christmas Eve dinner.....I have stuff to do..a home to clean, a tree to decorate, groceries to buy (and it double coupon day)..til later!

David...hold on to that document......especially if it defines lifetime as being 25 years.
I found a document sent to my e-mail with EXACT Dates.....
You paid $299 a year ago? I paid $417 a year ago!

Just for clarification, actually converted to a lifetime Pro account in mid 2011.

Yep, mine was $417 a little over a year ago, too.

Ah, that 'splains it.

just a thought as I go past my computer...gonna fix grout in a bathroom..*sigh*..things I don't have to do!!

I have not logged onto MyHeritage......do they have any communication about all of this on their website? Is the head of MyHeritage(whoever he is) making any public comments? Do they have a discussion site similar to this one?

I was translating for MyHeritage until now. I said to my contact person there exactly the same as here and told to forward it to corresponding people who need to see it. Lets see what kind of reply there will be...or not.

Good for you, Jaak Tulp. I look forward to hearing anything you might get back from that.

And thanks, Enrique Treat Gleason (Gleeson), Esq.. It gives me hope that our options are being looked into!!!

If I could just get ahold of twenty-five million dollars or Euros (whatever) I would purchase Geni back from HM and I would honor all lifetime subscriptions. In addition, I would be as generous to all other subscribers. I would most probably convert Geni to a non-profit or member-owned for the true benefit of all.

Cousin Enrique......patience is the word of the day.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and YOURS! (Or is that MINE?..as we are related?)
My favorite quote..."I'm so confused!"

Cousin Private User Keep up the good work you are doing! And yes, PATIENCE is the word of the day! But, at the same time, all of must continue to express our dissatisfaction with Geni/HM and continue to press for our benefit of the bargain! Happy Holidays!

Perhaps I'm somewhat paranoid but I think Geni is trying to sabotage this thread or even some of our private communications. I've notice some weird technical type problems with my profile, especially my connection to my followers and to those following me.

A encourage all of you to keep and record any weird problems that you may encounter.

Diana - it was you who put Geni on your naughty Christmas list? I cannot find your post anymore. It made me laugh :-)

I am doing just that...and printing my posts BEFORE they get deleted....
They have sent me a message that they are not deleting posts but I have proof that they are indeed doing that.

Henny..It was ME! "COAL, COAL, COAL!!!" Told ya they are deleting stuff!!!

Showing 211-240 of 783 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion