Sir William Hawkins - Cleanup on aisle Hawkins urgently needed!

Started by Private User on Saturday, April 25, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
Private User
4/25/2015 at 10:35 PM

Quote:

The children attached to this profile were previously attached to Captain William Hawkins, MP, of Tavistock and wife Joan Trelawny, Heiress of Brightorre. Every credible source states that William and Joan had two sons, William and John. No other texts have been found that name additional children. I didn't want to delete these profiles, so I created this shell profile and attached the children to it, until such time as they can either be proven as children of Capt. Hawkyns or their proper parents are found.

Maria Edmonds-Zediker, Volunteer Curator, 6/11/2013 /end quote

For all her good intentions, THIS happened:

--------------------

Updated from WikiTree Genealogy via brother John Hawkins by SmartCopy: Nov 27 2014, 19:02:01 UTC

======================

And now the Hawkins family is more messed-up than ever. All the work that went into sorting it out was WASTED. Because SmartCopy and not-so-smart users.

4/26/2015 at 4:58 PM

Is this another case of "Revisionist Family History?" Virginia Immigrant John Hawkins, (brother of Philemon) and John's daughter Mary are ancestors of my paternal grandmother's father, (her mother was a descendant of Robert White of Messing). With the Hawkins family, a desire to be descended from Admiral John Hawkins is a likely the fly in the ointment. There's interesting reading here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~markfreeman/hawki...

Notes for <Unknown> Hawkins:
One of the children of John Hawkins and Hester Richards is thought to have been the grandfather of Philemon Hawkins b 1690 England. The line of descent cannot be determined. John Hawkins and Mary Dewe, long claimed to be a missing link, are now considered unlikely ancestors for the Virginia Hawkins families.

The writer goes on to list an Unknown Hawkins and his son, Unknown Jr. as a possible link between John and Hester (Richard) Hawkins and Philemon and John.

One of the things that fascinates me about family history is how personality traits and behaviors can keep reappearing generation after generation. And it's helped me make peace with some of the stringent "Puritan" elements of my upbringing. But traits in the family in which you grew up don't come from people who weren't ancestors. No matter how glamorous they were.

4/26/2015 at 5:08 PM

Addendum: Now, from the mystery of the paternal grandparents of Mary "Polly" Hawkins Craig to that of the parents of her husband, Toliver Craig. Holy guacamole!

Private User
12/2/2018 at 6:19 AM

We now have Total Mess. Thank you with a baseball bat, whoever HAD to trace their lineage back to the Famous Hawkinses and screwed everything up.

As far as any REPUTABLE genealogists have been able to find out, NO direct descendant of the Admirals ever set foot in North America, let alone settled down to live there.

There is a possibility that the Jerome Hawley who helped organize the first colonization of Maryland was the same Jerome Hawley who was the widower of Admiral Richard Hawkins' eldest daughter - but 1) he's not a direct descendant and 2) the evidence for this is entirely circumstantial and not conclusive.

And, really, that's the *closest you get* to a Famous Hawkins connection!

Private User
12/2/2018 at 6:18 PM

Sir William Hawkins, II - No middle name documented anywhere at all. Was married twice, first wife's name unknown, children William (III), daughters Judith, Grace and Clare. Second wife Mary Halse, sons Richard, Francis, Nicholas, and (another) William, daughters Frances, Mary, and Elizabeth.

12/2/2018 at 7:11 PM

The relationships of Sir William Hawkins, II have been locked -- by verifying specific relationships (spouses, parents, and children) the "connections" to that profile can be locked to prevent changes. The more that can be done, the more "stable" that branch can become.

Private User
12/2/2018 at 7:41 PM

He has one too many Williams as sons. Somebody needs to present proof that William Hawkins of York County Virginia is the same person as William Hawkins "the younger", 4th son of William Hawkins "II" and Mary Halse.

Private User
12/19/2018 at 5:50 AM

Okay, we got Admiral John's progeny cleaned up (mostly). Now let's get back to this side, since Judy Barbara Allen has been fussing about it.

Private User
12/19/2018 at 6:10 AM

William (the elder) Hawkins, RN has been mostly accounted for, with that long trip out to India and a wife of Armenian descent - but no children by her. The Welbank site has a genealogical chart http://welbank.net/hawkins/pah/mwstree.gif showing an earlier marriage to "Agnes, daughter of Richard Edgecombe, of Tavistock" and a son John - but this is in flagrant contradiction to the Visitations of Devon, which state outright that she married her cousin Peter Edgcombe of Tavistock and had children by him who were grown by 1620 and with children of their own. (This is including a son John Edgcombe who had a newborn son as of Visitations date - and who cosigned on the family pedigree, so it's probably accurate at least back to his grandparents.) https://archive.org/details/visitationcount02camdgoog/page/n121, https://archive.org/details/visitationcount02camdgoog/page/n123

So, for William Hawkins RN, first marriage and a son John, maybe - first wife Agnes, possibly, but she was NOT "Agnes daughter of Richard Edgecombe".

Private User
12/19/2018 at 6:17 AM

As for William the 4th son, there are two of him at the moment:

William 'the Younger' Hawkins, about whom "Plymouth Armada Heroes" has little to say, and
William Hawkins, III, whom everyone wants to claim because he actually did settle in Virginia - but given that he left his estate to his wife and then his sons-in-law, he almost certainly had no sons and John Hawkins (Immigrant) is someone else's child.

12/19/2018 at 8:34 AM

I am new, maybe a month into using Geni. The first Geni chain I followed back I thought I had to input all of my information in myself. This led me to crossing over the MP line. I was then contacted and explained how NOT to do that. I was told to let the curators know. I noticed last night I had 7 pages of MP matches. So, I tried my hand at sending out Duplicate MP messages as I was told.

I am TRULY sorry from the bottom of my heart if this put any undo strain onto you. I am TRULY sorry if in any way offended or implied I am not great full for you and the rest of the curators. I Promise that was NEVER my intention.

My 6 Hawkins Dpuplcate tags from 3 different people was NEVER ment to cause harm/stress/or ill feelings. I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE and GREATLY APPRECIATE YOU and the rest of the CURATORS.

I promise if it has HAWKINS anywhere related it will just remain like it does not exist in my Tree Matches.

Love to all! May you all have a wonderful end of December and Happy New Year!

Sincerely,
Judy Barbara Allen

Private User
12/19/2018 at 3:43 PM

We all have to start somewhere and somewhen. :-)

Sorting out Hawkinses is a thankless task, because everybody wants to be descended from the Admirals and very few people will accept that they're not. There are a number of false connections that keep showing up....

12/24/2018 at 8:12 PM

What else needs curatorial help? Are there profiles which ought to have relationships locked?

Private User
12/25/2018 at 10:01 AM

As of a few days ago we had the Admiral John/Richard Hawkins line about as sorted out as it's likely to get, and started trying to disentangle the William Hawkins (collateral) line. There isn't a lot of documentation on that branch, so it's pretty heavy going.

Private User
1/5/2019 at 7:33 AM

Sir William Hawkins II married Mary Halse as 2nd wife as stated earlier. Their daughter Elizabeth married Richard Anderson born 1584. I saw in a couple of places where this Elizabeth was born in 1585 or 1581, don't know which is correct. Also Geni is saying this Richard is the son of Richard "Watershed" Anderson" which I don't believe is correct. My Richard was the son of Yeoman John Anderson.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion