Harald I "Fairhair", king of Norway - Why does my tree break when it comes to Harald's daughter Ingebjørg?

Started by Michael Jospeh Walsh on Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 395 posts
4/3/2019 at 9:53 AM

So my tree goes smoothly, with Ingebørg's daughter, Gunhild, being my wife's 28th great grandmother, but when it comes to Ingebørg being my wife's 29th great grandmother (and Harold Finehair being her 30th great grandfather), the wheels come off the bus as follows:

"Ingebjørg Haraldsdotter is your wife's third great uncle's wife's first cousin once removed's wife's 26th great uncle's wife's aunt" and "Harald I "Fairhair", king of Norway is your wife's third great uncle's wife's first cousin once removed's wife's 26th great uncle's wife's grandfather".

Does anyone know why that happens, and what (if anything) can be done to correct it?

Private User
4/3/2019 at 10:15 AM

I get the same problem in several lines in our tree. For one thing there are often multiple ways whereby we are related to individuals through descent and again through marriage. I think it should be corrected via their software- so that we can explore the optional connections as well as the system default choice. It is frustrating believe me! Karen

Private User
4/3/2019 at 10:29 AM

I have asked about this before and was assured it will automatically be corrected (eventually) by their software. I understand the frustration though. The first time it happened to me was a puzzler.

4/3/2019 at 10:50 AM

This has been a recurring issue that it takes up to a week sometimes to get a recalculation after comming from a different path to the person before it will get recalcualted . it seems that the computer power of geni is limited to recalculate correctly at each point in the tree at each moment : I would like to have a feature to be able to see all paths to the person from yourself including all inter marriages.
This happens to often and sometimes leads you up the wrong tree by not giving you the correct answer.

4/3/2019 at 11:07 AM

harald is my 33rd grandfather. the same thing happens to me. normally all you have to do is contact the profile managers, and they will straighten it out for you.

4/3/2019 at 12:38 PM

Use the Push Pin - I can usually get around this problem that way. If that doesn't work, check under "Revisions" to see if your ancester was clipped

4/4/2019 at 12:18 AM

I noticed that if you are directly related to two people who are married, it often will only show you the direct lineage of one of them. For Example, I am related to virtually every U.S. President AND every 1st First Lady. However, If I look up, say, President Obama (my 18th Cousin), it will show my lineage to him - BUT, if I then immediately look up Michelle Obama (my 20th Cousin) it only acknowledges her as being Barack's wife.

Private User
4/4/2019 at 3:05 AM

Interesting discussion. I agree with Per Olof Johansson, his suggested feature would be very helpful. I must "geni" you as we have Johanssons in our family- in the line coming From Harald I. Cheers all. Karen

Private User
4/4/2019 at 4:05 AM

I have noticed that it depends totally if you are for instant looking for some GG, after that any other relatives near that person/GG (no matter if the person near that one GG are your ancestors from a different line), it will show every person after the first search. Many times it picks weirdly only through the male line and does not pick the shortest line. I think there are many things to be corrected in software itself still.

Private User
4/5/2019 at 4:23 AM

Exactly. K

4/5/2019 at 8:55 AM

It makes me kinda nutty. Most of the time I'm trying to map out a lineage, so you have to backtrack to the last relative who shows correctly and proceed again, making a mental note of how many you've counted. Very frustrating when you're working on people who should be your 50th GGPs (yes we have two branches who - allegedly - go back that far) and you have to work back to your 10th GGF to get your restart!

4/5/2019 at 3:19 PM

Just keep in mind that noone is able to prove any relationship back to Harald Fairhair, so maybe we should stop chasing something that is not provable.

4/5/2019 at 3:42 PM

It's not only GGF Harald. We have a 3rd GGF on my wife's father side who is a complete nobody, and the tree goes wonky at his father. So it's a valid question irrespective of. :)

4/5/2019 at 5:30 PM

Well, until someone can prove that Harald is NOT my great grandfather, he is. All of the ancient people of legend and myth are built on reality, and until someone makes a time machine and go back to prove that the ancient writings are fake, I accept them as fact.

4/5/2019 at 9:34 PM

Hey James, I have a tree to King Harold Godwinsson II of England b 1022, William took the throne which was not his.

Harold Fairhair, in Haugesund, town, southwestern Norway, supposedly is buried. The site is commemorated by a monument, erected at the millenary celebration (1872) of Harald’s final victory in the Battle of Hafrsfjord.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Norwegian_monarchs#Fairhair_d...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Fairhair

4/5/2019 at 9:58 PM

That's the link to Fairhair...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harthacnut

Hope this helps, let me know

4/5/2019 at 10:05 PM

www.familysearch.org is very good. I found My link to King David i Saved the link the whole line...got it pegged...anyone want to enjoy the link with me. 90 generation, even the lineage to Jesus Christ to Caesar. Musard's King of Goths Mercia king franks King of Scotland. William Shakespeare King of the Romans...so many kings in my tree. We can ride the wave of the trees. We can start a country with our links. The ones that find the links can be kings and sovereign to the land. We can make our own government. Lets work together.

4/5/2019 at 11:18 PM

While you're riding the crest of the wave, can you surf past this project: https://www.geni.com/projects/Testing-for-Fake-Medieval-and-Ancient...? :-)

4/5/2019 at 11:20 PM

There are some general rules of modern genealogy that can help you zero in on problem areas.

There are no proven descents from Western Europe before about the 6th century.
There are no proven descents from Western Europe to Persia and the Middle East.
There are no proven descents from Western Europe to the Muslims in Spain.
There are no proven descents from Western Europe to Muhammad (PBUH)
There are no proven descents from the Merovingians.
There are no proven descents from the Caesars.
There are no proven descents from Cleopatra.
There are no proven descents from King David.
There are no proven descents from the Pharaohs.

4/6/2019 at 12:17 AM

You are on a path to no where. You know nothing except for no.

4/6/2019 at 12:26 AM

I personally believe that anything before the middle ages is a bit of a rabbit hole, but it's a fun rabbit hole if you don't take it too seriously.

4/6/2019 at 12:35 AM

I am in King Harold of England, Godwin..lineage fact

Private User
4/6/2019 at 5:35 AM

My fun task is seeing which ancient grandparent battled which other ancient grandparent- harold godwinsson and william the conqueror are two good examples. All this is great material for a book of bedtime myths for my future grandchildren. Other favourites will include tales of the Mythical Kings like Snorri. And the chap who got drunk at a wedding, went to the loo and fell into a vat of mead whereby the drowned. Karen

4/6/2019 at 10:25 AM

Snorri is a poet, why would you say this is not real?? He is a real person, they just say it is a myth....HELLO, this is real and we are talking about our family. Do your diligence and find the facts relating to your finding.

Just sayin, in Wikipedia why would they put the rulers in there if they are not real...lol. I tagged my family than went up the rulers lineages and run into my family along the way that was in a battle and took over the dynasty is sweet. Sad to say that why did they fight, instead talk it over instead of killing of our ancestors....HELLO

Snorri Sturluson

4/6/2019 at 1:42 PM

The wife and I went to Frederiksborg Slot while we were in Copenhagen a few years ago. I asked for the “friends and family” discount on admission, but hey wouldn’t give it to us. Nor would they let us pick from the Crown Jewels as a souvenir to take home. I thought that was pretty insulting since Christian IV is my wife's great uncle.

4/6/2019 at 4:35 PM

Christian IV is your wife's great uncle, Michael? Your wife is probably in the Guinnes world of records then since she must be the longest living person in the world having a person that lived in the early 1600's as her great uncle :-)

4/6/2019 at 4:39 PM

But back to reality and facts. Noone is able to prove any relationship back to Harald Fairhair and all of you saying otherwise don't know what you're talking about and are just making a joke out of yourselves stating such nonsense.

I know a lot of us still can trace a direct line back to Harald, but the work is in progress to cut all these direct lines, since noone can prove any of these lines.

4/6/2019 at 5:06 PM

Work is in progress to cut all these direct lines, since none can prove any of these lines.

Right, copied and pasted my lineage nobody can take bloodlines dude. I am proving mine shit

L

NONSENSE

Showing 1-30 of 395 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion