ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 6331-6360 of 8939 posts

Kevin, It is nice to see that some part of management supports you curators. I have only watched 'til now but the curator participants have the patience of saints. Hats off.

I met Daniel at a conference in New York City about 6 or 7 years ago.

Please help me with this merge:
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000021986858231?return=duplic...

When I try to merge them it says:
Cannot merge this profile with his husband

...and when I look at relationships, he doesn't have any other marriages other then his wife: Leta Rose (Marlowe) Rowland

Thank you

Alice Zoe Marie Knapp This looks like a bug which needs to be reported to Customer Service

Alice Zoe Marie Knapp,

You will need to ask Customer Service to split off the husband for you.

Submit a Help Ticket, that asks them remove the link between the husband of the following profile:

Private

Kevin

Hello Curators. I did a big error on my tree. There were 2 Adolphus Goldings on my tree. I accidently merged the two. If anyone can help me please do.

It is in regards to this profile:

Adolphus Augustus Golding

Adolphus Agustus Golding (DOB 25 May 1899) on this tree is someone else - it not the same Adolphus Joceyln McCalla (DOB 31 Dec 1913), son of Alfred McCalla and Christiana McCalla nee Thomas.

Lúcia Pilla,

Eldon is correct that this needs to be reported to Customer Service via a help ticket.

I had one at the end of May that they had to do it for me.

Kevin

Excuse me, but is it really impossible for curators to split the incorrect relationships and then reconnect them properly? I have done such things many times if i understand the issue correctly.

Jaak, - we have some mixed discussions here.
Kevins answer was not to Sandra, - which it could not be either if you look at the time-stamps.

Anyhow, - I have fixed it.
The trick is to totally disconnect one of the profiles and reconnect it.

I see! Guess it´s the old problem when restored profiles are connected to an empty placeholder and that creates multiple parents that are all connected to each-other.

Probably, - in tree view three profiles was visually stacked on top of each others. I just was able to use "Move" on one of the Ralph Wilson Rowland profiles to get into the sidebar and then totally disconnected it and then I could merge it into the duplicate.

You fixed it Bjorn?

Thanks a million!

Oops! Did I make a mistake? I don't think it was fixed. Is it possible for someone to fix it for me please?

No, no, - I fixed a problem mentioned above your message ;-)

I need more info about your problem.

Where does Adolphus Agustus Golding (DOB 25 May 1899) belong, and if he was the husband of one of the wives that is connected to the Adolphus Joceyln McCalla (DOB 31 Dec 1913) profile you can add a new profile to her with the data of Adolphus Agustus Golding which still is left as a data conflict on Adolphus Joceyln McCalla, and then we disconnect her from Adolphus Joceyln McCalla

Ok I will have to get back with you on that. It is not my side of the family so I have to find out. Thank you.

Thank you Kevin Lawrence Hanit, Eldon Lester Clark, and Private User for the help with Private

You guys are awesome....

Lois said that Geni itself was dedicated to work on both, so I'm sure the purpose of Geni is what the creators decide, not what you and I think it should be. I hope they listen to people's suggestions, thought, and not dismiss them right off the bat, like you did. After all, there would be no Geni without the users.

The previous was meant for david lee kaleita

Sorry Private and Private User, I didn't mean to sound dismissive. But as a user from the very beginning several years ago, and having had many conversations with Geni personnel over those years, it's become quite apparent [at least to me] that they have put a LOT of thought and committment into what they perceive to be their mission.

The pitch I received when Geni approached me to become a Curator a couple of years ago was that they were looking for like-minded people to be their user ambassadors in promoting their goals. The primary goal all along has been to create a single World Tree of everyone, with no duplicates. A secondary goal was to become a social networking site for families- insofar as it did not preclude the possibility of achieving the primary goal.

That being said, Geni DOES listen to user suggestions. That's, in large part, why I remain a Geni enthusiast.

This makes me sad. I've been here for 4 years and I had a clear idea about the kind of project I wanted to build. I guess I didn't have a clear idea about Geni's goals though, as it seems that it is no longer possible and I have to think of moving all my research to ancestry.com. Which is a shame, because I have spent so much time working on my tree. I am not interested in adding as many people as possible, I was researching my close family, adding pictures and documents and stories. As Geni provides the platform for doing all those things, I thought I had found a site that I needed. I wanted to know about the people in my tree, not just their names or initials. That is just empty and useless. It was not about quantity to me. I wanted to build the tree upwards rather than sideways. But with the whole World Tree thing I am feeling like I am being pushed out. I have had 6 trees forcefully merged with mine and this is just not what my project is about. I am dreading all the work I have ahead of me to input all the info into a different platform, but I just can't accept someone else making the executive decisions about how I chose to use this website or what my tree is supposed to look like.

Private User

If I may comment again?

I've been working with both the world family tree & and personal family group since I started on Geni. There's been no problem at all ! My family group privacy is well maintained, and if there's a link that brings in a different family i was unaware of, I embrace my new cousins - but don't put them in my family group. :):)

From the quick look around I had, there were unfortunately some "legacy" silly profiles brought into your view - the "child" and so on. I've had "bad profiles" added to views I can see through merging also, there were a huge amount of GEDCOM file uploads that may not always have been good quality.

But members here have been amazingly diligent about getting them cleaned up, properly named, sourced, placed. The first step of course is to see what's disturbing and ask for help. Now it's in an area of the tree I'm not familiar with so I'd hesitate - but perhaps the cousins on that side can and will do?

Anastasia, if Geni's goals are incompatible with yours, have you considered MyHeritage.com instead of Ancestry.com? MyHeritage owns Geni- they are the same company. I don't know for sure, but Customer Service may have a way to expedite replicating your Geni on the MyHeritage site. There you can better prevent it from being assimilated into the trees of others if you don't want it to.

But even if you do that, there is still reason to keep your Geni account active: it's a great research tool for conections you didn't know you have.

I have explained in an earlier conversation that one of the reasons for the specific type of project I wanted to create was to complement my husband's family tree and then research only my closest relatives. My husband's family has already done a remarkably extensive research on their family on ancestry.com so I would add the information I've gathered to their tree, like I did here. So there is no point for me to switch to MyHeritage or to keep my information on several sites. I have my own sources to research people I actually want to know about and I am worried about privacy when any curator can just change information on my tree.

Then you may be better served to move to Ancestry, as you indicated..

Why don't you butt out, Fay Elizabeth Dyer. No one was talking to you and I am sick of your hostile tone in response to everything I say.

I was agreeing with you, my dear..

Sure you were, honey.

Anastasia I did understand the privacy groupings you are concerned about. I hope Customer Service and you are dialoging to address those concerns? I don't want to get into the details here - that doesn't serve the purpose of this more public discussion. But I also have no doubt based on many years & much activity on Geni, that it will turn out the single error made will be easily reverted, the legacy bad profiles will be dealt with, and the integrity of your family group maintained.

Anastasia.....I did NOT cause your problem with whoever....I cannot correct it...I reviewed all that I said to you....and it was I who asked for the URL to a person who had been wrongly changed (the name)....and it was I that said that "name changing was not acceptable".....

So I am at a loss at your attitude toward me....it feels like you dismiss me because I am not a Curator and am butting in.....on a Public discussion meant to assist users....

I can not SEE any of the people that you sent the URL's on....they are 'private' to all but you and are viewable by Curators....if that helps you to understand that privacy IS privacy....with limited access...

I really feel that if you are this frustrated, as YOU have said quite often, and since you have mentioned Ancestry on so many occasions, that you would be happier at that site....

I really don't understand your attitude......but the people who have responded to you are trying to HELP you get what you want....and if you dont understand that....then I will, as you so aptly said....BUTT OUT of your seemingly private forum between you and the Curators (who you have dissed left and right)...

Perhaps you should talk exclusively with Customer Service.....since you dont seem to want to talk to anyone at this site. And an error is just that, and steps are being taken to resolve your situation.

Showing 6331-6360 of 8939 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion