ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן on Sunday, September 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 6271-6300 of 8939 posts

Oton, I think the other 4 must be entered on the tree to be able to call Franc the 5th child.

I assumed they were there....good point..

It would default to ONLY if it were the only child entered.

OR, you have to be a manager of at least the child you want to re-order for it to take....otherwise the field is closed to you.

All 7 siblings are in the tree, and I am the manager of all but the last (7th) one. When I edit birth order in any of the 7 siblings, I get "Your changes have been saved". Then I go back to birth order and Franc is again sharing number 1 with one of his sisters. Besides, all of them have birth dates.

There is something strange with this profile http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000020638361536
His parents are not listed in the relationships, although they are recognised as such:

"Franc is part of a cycle. If this is not correct, you may remove one of the connections.
Relationship Wife: Antonija Baumann (1831 - 1901)"

What will happen if I remove the only relationship?

Oton Zagorc

I have the same result & I haven't encountered this before.

Please submit a bug report

http://help.geni.com/forums/338907-bug-reports/entries/new

Be sure and reference

- the specific profile (I believe it's only Franc)
- this discussion link http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793?msg=888773

Oton, I hope a curator is working on this as we speak. I am afraid it is beyond me at this point. Good Luck.

Another curator is welcome to take a look but I suspect it's a profile specific bug that requires Geni technical assistance to resolve.

Erica I should have known you'd be looking when I said that, we were typing together.

Ivan is the only 'public' profile....the rest are 'private'.

I tried to move Franc to #5 child but once again, the profile reverted back to #1 again.

I haven't had this happen before. Curators can't help this time.

Oton Zagorc
For Franc Ferlan in his 'Overview' section, the 'Immediate Family' it lists Showing 12 of 15 people. I can see his father listed, Mihael Ferlan but not his mother, brother Mihael Furlan, or sister Marija Ferlan.

Don't know why, his brother Mihael is 'Public', sister Marija (b.1825) is 'Public', mother Antonija Terezija Baumann is 'Private'.

To the right of 'Immediate Family' is 'Text View' 'Add Family' 'Edit', when you select 'Edit' there is a list of the immediate famly and next to each is the option to 'Hide'. Are any of those not listed in the immediate family in a Column that is titled 'Hidden'? If so then select to 'Add Back'. If this is not the problem then contacting Geni support will need to be done.

I could not see the option to 'Edit' the immediate family on Franc's profile, so I think no one but a manager can edit this.

Is there any one that have any critical views on how likely it is that this lineage is actually real? I would think that there is much wishful thinking behind a lineage which in this case goes back to ancient times. Has anyone done any thoughts on this. Especially since most professional genealogists have pointed to the very questionable source material is already encounter from the 16th century and beyond.

lin·e·age 1 (ln-j)
n.
a. Direct descent from a particular ancestor; ancestry.
b. Derivation.
2. The descendants of a common ancestor considered to be the founder of the line.
[Middle English linage, lineage, from Old French lignage, from ligne, line; see line1.]

According to this definition a lineage is only as real as you can prove and make it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lineageRelated to LINEAGE

Synonyms
birth, blood, bloodline, breeding, descent, extraction, family tree, genealogy, line, ancestry, origin, parentage, pedigree, stock, strain
Antonyms
issue, posterity, progeny, seed
Related Words
heredity, succession; family, house; kin, kindred, relations, relatives; race
Near Antonyms
offspring; child, heir, inheritor, son, successor

Again sounds only as real as you can prove or there are records for.

Keeping in mind of course that proof is in the eye of the beholder. Logic can be a form of proof.

As you tell in the bug report the parents does not show up in all sections they should, which might be the reason why you cannot make the changes, so we should leave it to Geni engineers to find out why before finding workarounds.

http://help.geni.com/entries/22311970-Can-not-change-birth-order?pa...

Alex Clayton White?

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS...SEEMS LIKE THESE TWO COULD BE MERGED, HOWEVER BOTH ARE MP'S

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000010849100883?return=match%...

Dea Lowry,

I have taken care of the merge for you.

Kevin

Kevin Lawrence Hanit
can you take a look at the merge you did on Lady Eleanor Hastings for Dea Lowry? It now list that it has 1 source but there is none showing.
Others have seen this also, John Pierce, of Rehoboth see his discussion tab. I think Dan Cornett reported this as a bug.
Maybe the Profile for Eleanor should be reported also.

THANK YOU Kevin. Sorry about the "bug"

No Sources, even tho 1 is listed -- and no Documents in Media either. (Also nothing in "About" section.)

The Source would either have been from a Document in Media or from a MyHeritage Link or Record. MyHeritage Records, etc. are real noticeable on a Profile -- does anyone remember if either (or both) of the two had any before the merge? If not, then it is also one or more Documents that are missing.

Either way, this is majorly worrisome. Did Geni stop being able to handle regular documents and/or sources in a merge when they added MyHeritage stuff as sources?? (have others seen merges recently where it still worked correctly to keep Documents and Sources?)

I have done merges with profiles that I have uploaded a image as document, which several profiles are usually sourced on the document, there seems to be no problem with merging these.

It could be the Smart Matches from MyHeritage, the Wiki trees show up as Sources if they are accepted, the other MyHeritage trees even though accepted, need to be specified to add as a source.

Has to be SmartMatches that are confirmed but not added as sources. Doubt it has to do with merging at all, nor anything to do with documents tagged to a Geni profile.

If they were Smart Matches that were comfirmed but not added as sources they would not be counted on the source tab.

I'm pretty sure they are from MyHeritage, just don't know if they were Wiki Tree matches or MyHeritage matches that were selected to use as a source.

I noticed a while back that when I merged two profiles, one having confirmed Matches (I don't remember if they were just MyHeritage trees or Wiki trees) they were gone after the merge, and I don't remember if there was this issue with the source tab. No way I would be able to find the profile now.

Could it be that the source was for information that was deleted in a merge? Which is I think what Carole just said. Her husband's profile shows a wife with an entirely different name.

No attached document could be deleted in a merge. It resides in the document repository of the Geni member and is "tagged" to profiles. Therefore, it can only be deleted by the Geni member.

I believe this is more about how SmartMatch "thumbnails" linking across different servers are shown in the "source counter" utility on Geni.

I'm used to counters being slightly out of sync at times in dynamic databases; I'm just more curious if this is about "confirm a SmartMatch as source" because there are times I'm reluctant to do so.

re: "If they were Smart Matches that were comfirmed but not added as sources they would not be counted on the source tab."

That is the intent, but it is currently a bug that the SmartMatch is always shown as a Source, even when you select "No" on the option at time of confirmation. Maybe, during the merge such "match-but-not-confirmed-as-source" are getting dropped -- just a guess as to a possibility.

I have done merges with "genuine" Geni Source documents, and those still get 'preserved' in a merge.

Capt. John Holbrook
These SmartMatches are not shown as a source, they are just listed on the profile above the tabs, even the Wiki Tree matches are not listed as a source, those that I have seen must of been selected as a source or were done when they had the Bug. I agree it could be a possiblity during the merge such "match-but-not-confirmed-as-source" are getting dropped.

I never select "No" or "Yes" on the Source option at time of confirmation, just Confirm or Reject.

Could I please get help with two merges?
Seth Kates and Clay Wilbur Bigelow. In both cases, I reported abandoned trees, and no replacement manager can be found.
Thank you in advance.

Showing 6271-6300 of 8939 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion