Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 851 posts
Private User
9/25/2010 at 7:58 AM

I've started a Wiki page to list all of the Master Profiles for the Mayflower passengers. I only put links to master profiles because some of the passengers have so many entries that I figured we should track only MP's.

Could the curators mark other names with MP and paste the profile in here? Anyone can edit the wiki page, but I'm more than happy to maintain it and to link to the new MP profiles.

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Mayflower_Passengers

The page is standalone for now until we have more profiles and some feedback. I'm also not sure where the link should go. There is a community page, but I think it will get lost there. I put the page in a category of Notable Profiles. I think that we should have a Notable Profiles page that links to pages like this one. After we get the format for the Mayflower passengers set, I'll create pages for US Presidents and Vice Presidents. I would like this to also expand to Kings and Queens, Prime Ministers, etc...

Comments or suggestions welcome!

9/25/2010 at 9:08 AM

Brendan,

You are just excellent. You might actually be made of excellence. I thank you so very much.

I think "notables" is fine for now and we can refine that down the road. They've been using "merge project" and I am pretending that that will be over soon enough, and we can concentrate on the genealogy, building out quality master profiles.

Have you looked at the Wiki pages for the Anglo Norman project? It includes places for source material and a very impressive bibliography. I'll be happy with a smaller one. :)

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Anglo-Norman_Families--NEW

Private User
9/25/2010 at 9:50 AM

Yay Brendan! :D

I need more coffee and will get to work soon.

Private User
9/25/2010 at 10:16 AM

Brendan,
What an awesome undertaking. I myself don't curate any Mayflower folk but you will get input from those that do.

9/25/2010 at 10:25 AM

But you're a documentation macher, Maria! So we might need to pick your brain for sources. :)

Private User
9/25/2010 at 10:33 AM

Great ideas, Brendan! And thank you. I'll keep an eye out for additions. And thanks for the inadvertent laugh ... they had ten children and numerous descendants. (!) Kitty Milloy

Private User
9/25/2010 at 12:51 PM

Great Project!

When working on these Master Profiles, please note the following guide for Master Profile Format (in progress): http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Master_Profile

Private User
9/25/2010 at 3:23 PM

I'm really glad there is such enthusiasm for this! Kim, it looks like you really made a lot of progress! Do you want help merging profiles? I could do that and then ask you to make them MP's.

I saw your comment on Samuel Fuller about his birth year. I started with info from MayflowerFamilies. Just an FYI.

Kitty, I hadn't noticed that. Pretty funny. :)

The page already has 69 views. Cool

Private User
9/25/2010 at 3:27 PM

Erica,
That merge project page is huge. Great information. We may need to do that too, but I see this more as a master profile page for the passengers. I envision pages of MP's for all of the "notable people", which would be separate from Merge discussions. When making the master profiles for the passengers, if you find that we need it, we can create a separate page for discussing the merges. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help with this! Our discussions on the William White made me want to do this. Thanks for all of your work!

9/25/2010 at 4:29 PM

"Mayflower" Passenger Master Profiles as of 25 September 2010

John Alden, "Mayflower" Passenger
Isaac Allerton, "Mayflower" Passenger
Mary (Norris) Allerton, "Mayflower" Passenger
Bartholomew Allerton, “ Mayflower” Passenger
Remember Maverick
Francis Billington, Mayflower passenger
Joseph Billington
John Billington, Jr., Mayflower Passenger
William Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony
Dorothy (May) Bradford, "Mayflower Passenger"
Elder William Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger
Mary (unknown) Brewster, “Mayflower Passenger”
Love Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger
Wrestling Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger
Peter Browne, "Mayflower" Passenger
Governor John Carver, "Mayflower" Passenger
Katharine Carver, "Mayflower" Passenger
James Chilton, "Mayflower" Passenger
James Chilton's wife, "Mayflower" Passenger
Mary Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger
Francis Cooke, "Mayflower" Passenger
John Cooke, "Mayflower" Passenger
Humility Cooper, "Mayflower" Passenger
Edward Doty, "Mayflower" Passenger
Francis Eaton, "Mayflower" Passenger
Sarah Eaton, "Mayflower" Passenger
Samuel Eaton, "Mayflower" Passenger
Edward Fuller, "Mayflower" Passenger
Wife of Edward Fuller, Mayflower" Passenger
Wife of Edward Fuller, Mayflower" Passenger
Dr. Samuel Fuller, "Mayflower" Passenger
Stephen Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger
Elizabeth Hopkins (Fisher), "Mayflower" Passenger
Giles Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger
Constance (Hopkins) Snow, "Mayflower" Passenger
Damaris Cooke
Oceanus Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger
John Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger
Christopher Martin, "Mayflower" Passenger
Ellen More, "Mayflower" Passenger
Jasper More, "Mayflower" Passenger
Mary More, "Mayflower" Passenger
Captain Richard More, "Mayflower" Passenger
Marie Prower, "Mayflower" Passenger
Alice Mullins (unknown), "Mayflower" Passenger
Joseph Mullins, "Mayflower" Passenger
Priscilla (Mullins) Alden, “Mayflower” passenger
William Mullins, "Mayflower" Passenger
Degory Priest, Mayflower Passenger
Thomas Rogers, "Mayflower" Passenger
Lt. Joseph Rogers, "Mayflower" Passenger
Henry Samson,"Mayflower" Passenger
George Soule, "Mayflower" Passenger
Capt. Myles Standish, "Mayflower" Passenger
Agnes Tilley, "Mayflower" Passenger
Edward Tilley, "Mayflower" Passenger
John Tilley, "Mayflower" Passenger
Joan (Hurst) Tilley, "Mayflower" Passenger
Elizabeth (Tilley) Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger
Richard Warren, "Mayflower" Passenger
Peregrine White, "Mayflower" Passenger
Resolved White, "Mayflower" Passenger
Susanna (Jackson) Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger
William White, "Mayflower" Passenger
Gov. Edward Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger
Elizabeth Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger

Master profile may not be needed: no descendants.
Allerton, John
Britteridge, Richard
Button, William
Carter, Robert
Clarke, Richard
Crackstone, John, Sr.
Crackstone, John, Jr.
English, Thomas
Fletcher, Moses Smith
Gardinar, Richard
Holbeck, William
Hooke, John
Langmore, John
Leister, Edward
Margesson, Edmund
Minter, Desire
Priest, Solomon
Rigsdale, John
Rigsdale, Alice
Story, Elias
Thompson, Elias
Tinker, Thomas
Tinker, Mrs. Thomas
Tinker, ---- (son)
Turner, John
Turner, Elizabeth
Tinker, ---- (son)
Williams, Thomas

9/25/2010 at 4:40 PM

Brendan,

Yes, your structure is exactly what I was thinking: a master list, including overview, scope of project, sources, etc. And then breakout pages by family: as mentioned, Alden already exists. And then people can sign themselves up to work on particular families, or float around (like me), or work more on merges, or work more on genealogy and history.

For instance, I think it would be great to upload a copy of "The Mayflower Compact" to all the signers profiles. I read something that said that the Compact is actually the basis for The Declaration of Independence. So one thing I've already learned from this project that kind of blew my mind was how "Enlightenment Era" and *for* the rights of men the Pilgrims actually were. I guess I was still carrying around a Disney image in my head of restrictions. Well, not in the least.

Governor Bradford -- who, by the way, was a "simple farmer" -- left a first person account of the Plymouth Colony. It's available free on line and I'll get the URL. I think that's our "primary source."

I'm going to keep using this discussion for notes if you all don't mind.

And to everyone -- join on up.

9/25/2010 at 4:44 PM

Naming conventions:

First name, middle name, last name, maiden name if known, suffix for roman numerals or titles such as Dr., Col., Gov.
Display name field example: Governor William Bradford, "Mayflower" Passenger
Alternate names in the "personal" tab, nicknames

This way anyone can search on keyword Mayflower and more easily find our Pilgrims ... who included servants and sailors, so that's why I used the word Passenger rather than Pilgrim.

9/25/2010 at 4:52 PM

Factoid:

20-30 million Americans claim descent from 26 "Mayflower" passengers. (Someone better do the math here.)

Private User
9/25/2010 at 4:56 PM

Brendan, yes, help with merging would be wonderful. Thanks! Concerning Samuel's birth date (I don't know at the moment which one is correct). I will add the one you had back on the Wiki page (or you can if you want) to for further consideration / discussion.

Thanks Anne for that link (I've got it on my watch list).

@Katharine Milloy (Hungerford-Brayshaw-Walton) would you like your name to be added to the project?

All help is very welcome and very much appreciated. :-)

Thanks too Erica for the MP list of links.

9/25/2010 at 5:37 PM

Erica, Where did you get this information ; most of our family researchers do not know Richard's parents and he was not married to Elizabeth Jouatt. Just Elizabeth Walker.

Son of Christopher WARREN, Christopher Warren, Alice WEBB and Alice Webb
Husband of Elizabeth JOUATT

Private User
9/25/2010 at 6:38 PM

Marie Prower, "Mayflower" Passenger

Mayflower Families has her name as Mary and Geni has it as Marie. Anyone know which is correct?

Looks like Kim and I were just making a ton of changes at the same time. I cancelled all of mine. It looks like we were both adding the missing MP url's.

Private User
9/25/2010 at 7:32 PM

Lol I'm getting tired of adding the links Brendan. You can take over now if you want.

Private User
9/25/2010 at 8:44 PM

I put the rest in. It does get tiring. These are the ones that we still need:

Allerton, John
Billington, Eleanor
Britteridge, Richard
Button, William
Carter, Robert
Clarke, Richard
Crackstone, John
Crackstone, John (son)
English, Thomas
Fletcher, Moses
Gardinar, Richard
Goodman, John
Holbeck, William
Hooke, John
Langmore, John
Latham, William
Leister, Edward
Margesson, Edmund
Minter, Desire
Prower, Solomon
Rigsdale, John
Rigsdale, Alice
Standish, Rose
Story, Elias
Thompson, Edward
Tilley, Elizabeth
Tinker, Thomas
Tinker, Mrs. Thomas
Tinker, ----- son
Turner, John
Turner, ---- son
Williams, Thomas
Winslow, Gilbert

The Rigsdale, Tinker and Turner families seem to have all died in the first sickness, so they may not have made the Big Tree yet.

Private User
9/25/2010 at 8:52 PM

Thank you for the list, where did you obtain this list and do you feel it is accurate?

Karen Miller

Private User
9/25/2010 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for adding the rest Brendan. :-)

Private User
9/25/2010 at 9:37 PM

Karen, it was obtained from mayflowerfamilies.com. It's believed to be a good list.

Private User
9/26/2010 at 11:47 AM

thank-you for the list.i started checking it because i knew i had several grandfathers on the mayflower. for 67+years i did not know until i checked your list yesterday that i was related to so many of the mayflower immigrants
64 out of 65 in the first part of main list. from 1st cousins,2nd cousins to aunts & 4 grandfathers. it blows my mind. none of my parents had any idea.

9/26/2010 at 11:53 AM

Jon,

When I started trying to tidy up duplicates around the Mayflowers, I was volunteering just as a good geni-zen. "I'm no Mayflower descendant."

I've progressed from seventh and eighth cousin to third and second cousin as the tree cleans up. My father, who did know we had New England lines, is really impressed with me now!

9/26/2010 at 11:54 AM

Janelle Morrow Walker

Let's do a separate discussion based around the profile tag for cleaning up parentage / etc, and keep *this* discussion focused on the larger project, if that's ok.

9/26/2010 at 12:07 PM

For the Wiki project family pages --

Web URLs to:

- DNA projects (I'm sure they exist for most of the families)
- Family Associations (often *the* most valid sources for ancestors and descendants)

-- prototype is this one:
http://www.alden.org/

Note if they're incorporated as a non profit organization and have charitable status.

- "historic homes" links
- "gravesites" links (not everything is in findagrave.com yet, particularly on Cape Cod)
- maps!

9/26/2010 at 12:18 PM

The list of Mayflower passengers is based on Governor Bradford's first person accounts and records. You can read about that here:

http://mayflowerfamilies.com/mayflower/mayflower_passenger_list.htm

It is when you get into the mayflowerans ancestry and descendants that there is more genealogical question.

Private User
9/26/2010 at 12:38 PM

Nice!
I looked up the passenger list a month ago on www.mayflowerhistory.com, and have been checking names. I was glad to see the MP was appearing more frequently as I went along. Stands out and has good info!
Perhaps this should be done with other historical figures like the signers of the Constitution or Declaration Of Independence, or the rest of the Presidents?

9/26/2010 at 12:39 PM

I wonder if you can do a genealogy of a ship? But in any event, I wonder if the story of the "Mayflower" (how it was built, ownership, captained, and families associated) should be a Wiki page?

Private User
9/26/2010 at 12:39 PM

erica, what distinguishes top list names from bottom list of names?

Private User
9/26/2010 at 12:42 PM

That's exactly what I want to do. This same thing was done for the Presidents and Vice Presidents recently. I'm going to create wiki pages for them. The lists that you recommended would be great. Someone needs to put together the list of people and we'll create separate projects for each list.

Showing 1-30 of 851 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion