for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, October 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 991-1020 of 1795 posts

Okay, I'll move his rank to the display field, thanks for the explanation!

Take a look at the Patriots of the American Revolution & see what you think. Thanks, Faustine

Colonel Phillip Cole

Colonel John Bolling Murray

Lt. Col. Johann Peter Hedrick

Col. Seth Murray

Sgt. Maj. William Mavity

Col. Thomas Newton, Jr.

First on the list - there's a dup tree to merge together and then there will be data conflicts to resolve, including figuring out good names to use for the immigrant generation. I'd prefer that's done by managers etc if possible and MP after.

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000013322838094?to=6000000000...

2nd - Colonel John Bolling Murray

John Murray is a common name and easily confused, good idea to have him MP. I added a "live link" to the DAR database to more easily research his descendants and put his title in the "display field."

Would love to see this tree built out more.

3rd - Lt. Col. Johann Peter Hedrick

1) I resolved data conflicts.

Could I ask that managers put more effort into doing this? It's profile view > actions > resolve data conflicts. It won't show if there are none to resolve, and when I make MP and check against source data like the DAR database, I can then "field lock" the facts in place.

2) the name in the DAR database is Hedrick so I added that as the "last name" (historical name). For our immigrant ancestors of course names were Anglicized, and if we use BOTH the "birth surname" field AND the "last name" field, we maximum the chances of getting more - and better - record hits.

3) and guess what Faustine - I see "record matches" now - awesome. Check them out - maybe there are parents?

Lt. Col. Johann Peter Hedrick is done. Also made MP his same name son & grandson to avoid confusion. The Capt.'s story in his overview - oh my!

Col. Seth Murray - done
Three generations of same name Col. Thomas Newton, Jr. 's - done

Again, it slowed me down to have to resolve the data conflicts. :(

There's an issue with Sgt. Maj. William Mavity

You will see the message "No path found to William Mavity.". That indicates the manager's tree is isolated - it is not part of the World Family Tree. Therefore not eligible for "MP" and curator "services."

Try collaborating with the manager. If accepted he can join his tree to the "big tree" and will be happy to MP after.

Great work as always Faustine.

Erica Howton

RE: my list of Patriots of the American Revolution

Thanks Erica, I will go through your comments & get back with you on them. Thanks for your help. Faustine

Please consider my sixth-cousin-umpteen-times-removed for MP status: Samuel Comstock Snyder

Thank you!

Looks like Kris Stewart took care of it for you, Jennifer. Thanks for putting in plot specifics in the burial field! I've been trying to do that more myself recently.

Thanks, Kris and Ashley! As for plot numbers, I don't find them very often, but I put them in when I find them - even though placement is a little awkward, it seems better to include them. ;-)

Please consider for an MP: John Sivil Smith, Sr. . He was my second cousin thrice removed's husband's aunt's husband's father... ;-)

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle

Jennifer, I made John Smith a MP. Nice profile.

Hi, Jennifer ... I went through the Geni Tree Matches for that John Smith and eliminated all but one (the others were rather obvious).

The other manager has not yet connected with the Geni World Tree, but has been active recently, so you might want to start a conversation with them and propose a Collaboration so you connect them in -- albeit you'd need to start with this public match:

http://www.geni.com/search/matches?id=6000000013540384439&src=p...

I agree Tamm is good enough to be a MA

I agree Tamm is good enough to be a MP.

I agree Tamm is good enough to be a MP.
TAMMY!

Thanks, Tammy, I appreciate your time. And Dan? I'm ashamed! I looked at all those matches and decided they were all going to be duds because his name is John Smith, so I didn't spend the time! You've busted me, lol!!

I've been chatting with the other manager the last couple of days - didn't think of collaborating with him, will send him a request immediately. Thanks for your dedication and for the suggestion. You rock, dude.

Hello,

Please consider for MP: Święty Albert Chmielowski

Polish Saint of the Catholic Church.

Best wishes,

KW

Spent some time at that person now - Rose Leslie

Perhaps if you watch Game of Thrones you should know her. :) Please consider for MP.

Best wishes,

KW

Karol: That's a very nicely done profile for Rose, and she's well-connected into the World Tree, too!

However, at the moment we can't make profiles of living persons into MP's (without killing them) -- Geni is looking to providing that capability. So, let's not "forget" her --

That's a bit macarbe, Dan.
"Note to self, MP Rose's Geni profile as soon as i hear that she has died."
;P

I'm not sure I understood that correctly - there are lots of Geni profiles of living persons who were made MP's. So it was just a matter of 'killing' one, immediately establish MP and 'resurrect' him or her? :)

I submitted Rose Leslie to authorization for the project 'British Celebrities' - so she'll be around. ;)

<laughs> Yes, there are lots of MP's of living person; however, currently the curator-tool which makes an MP forces the profile status to be deceased -- and that's entered into the revision history that the person died and then is changed to 'Living'. That is something we curators have asked to have 'fixed' (so we can make an MP without 'killing' the person in the process of doing so).

I don't see why people have a problem with making someone deceased for the few seconds it takes to MP. It seems to me that is a valid work around until Geni comes up with a fix. I am sure the staff has much higher priority work to do.

Private User, regarding the profile you made for Rose Leslie:

1) Nice work! :)

2) The allowable approach for avoiding the privacy wall in the future is to request that the user's profile be made into an MP *before* you tie them into the big tree. Once they're merged into the big tree, that's when the family group becomes an issue. If you contact a curator working in the subject's area and let them know that you have the path into the big tree ready, and that you're just waiting for the profile to be MPed before you tie them into the big tree, they'll almost certainly be happy to help you out. I know I've done that for people, and I do it myself all the time now when tree-building.

(Eldon Lester Clark, I'm deleting my comments here because it's probably not the thing to be discussing in this public thread. Message me or bring the matter up again on the PotD thread if you want to talk about it more.)

I really majorly prefer when a comment is deleted that we are shown the poster and time posted, with comment of when and by whom it was deleted - as used to be done.

This current policy of simply having comments 'disappeared' seems very wrong to me. (Definitely no problem with folks choosing to delete a comment - many reasons we may choose to do that. But the space should - in my opinion - stay as it used to do, so we know where a comment was.)

Why, Lois? I like my typo ridden deletions disappearing without comment.

Post regarding Amanda deleted because she has changed her mind.

Showing 991-1020 of 1795 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion