Persons who have not been online for a year (Abandoned Trees)

Started by Eldon Lester Clark on Thursday, December 30, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 211-240 of 695 posts

Judi

Use the tool http://help.geni.com/ to open a case with geni customer support. Be sure and give them links to the profiles in question.

Everyone who notices a manager has been inactive for 9 months to a year, use "report - "reason" - abandoned tree." That generates a report to geni customer support. If it's already been reported you'll get a msg back.

Judi,
can you send me links to the TWO profiles for "nearest connecting grandparent"?

IF this OTHER user has that remote a connection to your grandfather then the other copy should be public. I will then be able to connect the two trees, and merge our way down the branch.

Well, thank you everyone that helped me, primarily Martin Severin Eriksen , but also Angus Wood-Salomon

But I have one more question.... and I'm putting it in this tread because it involved merging Donna Kerns' three profiles for her self into a single profile... and since two of the accounts are active, we can't figure out how to merge them.

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000004681966932

Note: There are three profiles we are trying to merge together. So this first profile is Donna's active profile that she can log into. This is the one we want to preserve, obviously: Donna Rae Kerns

This profile is a duplicate of her profile, and she can no longer log into it:
Unknown Profile

And then here's another old profile from a Gedcom upload, that at some point became flagged as abandoned, and so last night Martin found it and was able to free it from oblivion - Unknown Profile

So what are the steps here to help Donna merge all of her profiles together?

Steven, if she can't log in to a tree, she should request help from Geni.

Ok, thanks Eldon. I submitted it as a Help Request. I thought maybe there were other ways to go about it.

Ralph Rhodes?

Only about 180 profiles and cant see ANY activity...inputting my 4th cousins and tree matches where there is no response from him .

Does anyone know if he is still with Geni?

Fay Elizabeth Dyer,
there are presently THREE users named Ralph Rhodes on Geni. Looking at these profiles, I'm willing to bet that they are all for the same person, who for some reason (probably error) has three accounts:

* Private User - Last Online: May 15, 2011, Manages 171 profiles.
* Ralph Dascomb Rhodes - Last Online: May 25, 2010, Manages 132 profiles.
* Private User - Last Online: January 5, 2011, Manages only his OWN profile.

So your best bet is sending a message to the first one, as he's active. IF he wants assistance resolving this issue, you can tell him to send me a message. As the second tree is NOT connected to anything, I would recommend just asking Geni Support to delete the 2nd and 3rd accounts.

Thank you Shmue...I will try to contact the 1st listed Ralph....and, since he appears to have 3 separate profiles...he may not have his Geni feet under him as yet....

Thanks again.
Fay

Can anyone at Geni solving an abandonded tree? This is the manager: Alain Camus
He hasn't been on for 18 months. Plus, his 2,160 additions amount to at least 3 separate but identical Gedcoms taht I could identify. In addition, virtually all the profiles are locked as private.
At the demand of several users, I have been making well over 600 profiles public. Howevern going all the way to 2,160 is suicide.
Can all the profile of this manager simply be transferred to another user? The user most active and most keen on merging and working with Camus' profiles is Private User
Thanks Geni for helping out!
Tagging Mike Stangel just to make sure anyone gets this message.

I'm here George. Maybe you should first ask me before asking that my trees got managed by someone else.
These trees are my unsuccessful trials to upload my gedcom. I tried to delete them to start over again, but couldn't find a way to delete them.
I'm willing to import those persons again if the gedcom import works better than when I tried it last.

Private User

Uploading GEDCOMS are not allowed sorry

Hello Alain, sorry! As I saw you hadn't been online since early last year, I thought you had abandoned them. The profiles obviously have been generating matches - and they stretch to the 16th century. Why were they almost all marked private? Was that part of the gedcom?
Definitely no need to upload anything again ;-) If you don't mind, we just need an easy way to make all the old profiles public so they can be useful to others.

The whole tree was the result of the gedcom import.
There is a lot more information in my gedcom than what geni imported from it, that's why they were private and why you should not work on these profiles.
I want to try and re-import my gedcom, such as all information contained is uploaded.
I thought I'd be able to delete these trees and re-import the gedcom, unfortunately this isn't possible any more.

No, the problem with gedcoms is that there are too many duplicates of profiles already, especially in the historical trees. Alain, when you're saying that people shouldn't work on the profiles that you had uploaded, does it mean that the information isn't reliable? Given that you haven't been on Geni for such a long time, you may not have noticed that there is a big group of volunteer curators that try to pull together the profiles in the historical tree - as well as assist other users. Is there any way that you can give more background on the nature of the gedcom? Is this only about your own family lines? Actually, are you Dutch and - if so - perhaps you could join the people working in this project? http://www.geni.com/projects/Portaal-voor-Nederlandstaligen
Thanks!

Per Alain's request, I've deleted the profiles from his GEDCOM imports that have NOT yet been merged into other, duplicate profiles.

Thanks Mike, that makes sense. I think the Dutch users were getting a headache over it :-). Several of us have invited Alain to join and collaborate - so we hope he does!

Hey George,

Thanks for your proposition of help.
Actually Im a french speaking belgian, but dutch is OK, and as most of my profiles lived in the Netherlands, I might join the portaal voor nederlandstaligen.
I don't remember exactly (18 monthes...), but I think the profiles are still reliable, it's just they're incomplete. I inserted a lot of information in my gedcom that's not on geni (I remember the occupations weren't uploaded).
All the profiles in the gedcom are amongst my ancestors.
I've received only one collaboration proposition but refused it, as I don't know exactly which rights I'd be granting to this person and which profiles they could read and modify (I care about the privacy of the living persons in my tree and geni has already disappointed me on this topic).

So, my proposition : I try and reupload my gedcom, see if there are still problems, and if it's the case, list them and join the dutch portal to ask for help. Is it the way I should do it ?

Hello Alain, I'm afraid you can't upload gedcoms. Let's communicate over email - we can do it in French (I'm Dutch born in Brussels living in France).
Geni has serious limitations now if you don't take a Pro subscription - but you can still work on the profiles that you manage. If you're keen on collaborating with others and thus benefit from the connections through other trees, perhaps you need to consider if a Pro subscription is worthwhile.
Re. privacy - your closest generations are always as private as you want to make them. Beyond a certain generation, it's part of the 'big world' :-)

@Albert CAMUS met afschrift aan @George d'OMSE

Geachte heer CAMUS, beste Albert,

Zojuist… zojuist‥ heb ik U toegevoegd aan het Portaal voor Nederlands-taligen. Dat is een open gezelligheids-lokaal, waar de deur vrijwel nooit dicht gaat om iedereen die z'n~h'r voorouders aan het open-source gebruikers-systeem van Geni toevertrouwt te laten zien dat we hier in Europa, met name in de lage landen van de Delta's van Rijn, Maas, Elbe & Donau graag SAMEN-werken om elkaar's profielen te helpen completeren, versieren en waar mogelijk met nieuwe ouders e/o kinderen te verrassen.

Het houden van huis- e/o tuin- & erf-dieren wordt niet door iedereen op prijs gesteld, gezien de ervaringen van eerste-pionierende Geni-gebruikers en de Geni-staff in California dat elders of hier in deze grote-boze-digitale-buiten-wereld mensen 't leuk-lief-o-lastig vonden die 'n plaats in de hierarchie te geven die we NIET van onze voorouders of in kerk, synagoge of moskee hebben meegekregen en ze —samen met andere geestes-kinderen die soms wel heel erg geestig bleken van dames als Annie M.G. Schmidt, inmiddels de mond gesnoerd & begraven op Sorgvliet bij Amsterdam— gingen vereren alsof het Harry POTTERS waren. Welnu, die horen ook tot de culturele erfgoederen die we binnen Geni willen bewaren voor ons nageslacht, maar horen expliciet niet tot de boom van Ave & Edam.

Toch hoop ik dat u kunt genieten van de herrie die een klets-partij natuurlijk af-en-toe met zich meebrengt en de concentratie vindt al die profielen weer terug te vinden en netjes te linken aan uw eigen p.c. en opslag via de wereldwijde computer-ware-houses waar we in geni een paar dollars voor moeten betalen. Maar omdat we in Europa geen enkele ervaring meer hebben met 't wisselen van vreemde valuta, wachten sommigen onder ons nog tot dat ook in euro's mag via eigen bank of wisselkantoor. Dat betekent dat de samenwerking met dergelijke non-PRO-ecclesia's beperkingen kent. Maar in de praktijk valt dat wel mee, want die nonnen gaan gewoon foto's en schilderijen jatten uit musea om ook uw opa e/o oma van een plaatje te voorzien zonder beschuldiging van plagiaat of schending van andersmans/-vrouws auteurs-, copie-, portret-e/o beeldrecht naar de maatstaven van ons -Europeesch?- in elk geval Nederlands recht.

Tot schrijfs, lezens of anderszins,
jeannette Marina u.

P.S. Ik wordt soms geplagieerd met de ondertekening 'met groet'n van Greet, de archief-madelief'. Maar die greet heb ik nog steeds niet gevonden in de tree, dus die zal wel stiekum een speld in de hooiberg blijken...

Excusez-moi Monsieur Camus, je me suis trompée avec votre nom, lequel n'est pas Albert, mais ALAIN.

Thanks Eldon - there are people who have been run off Geni for various reason - they are discouraged - they have given up because the efforts are futile and un-wanted - and now they are unable to merge - add beyond the 3/4 generation they are completely discouraged, fustrated and they fell like they should not be forced to ask pro's curators etc. etc to merge - add profiles to their own trees or maintain profiles they can not - - they know they are very capable of maintaining their own tree and they refuse to ask for help and I personally do not blame them - it is degrading to ask for help every time you want to merge a profile in your OWN TREE or ADD A PROfiLE in your OWN TREE especiallaly after spending so much time databasing it all if for free for GENI so that they can dictate what we can and cannot enter into our OWN ANCESTORS PROfiLES - - this was to be a mutual free sharing data base that was the "fishing lure" so to speak once they got us all hooked - then they..............

i still have profiles that people refue to merge - some not being on what ever the reason they still hinder the 'big tree' there are trees that were droipped/ abandoned because they hit snags such as people refusing to merge - merges that could not be untabgled - they advice gvien by geni reps was close out your account and start over under a different e-mail i had one gal that told me and she is still on geni - that she had done just this and had several trees under several different e-mail address's that she herself could not even accees and merge together her own profiles she that she had entered - - she regreted following the advice given..... so is a way GENI was caused a great protion of their own problems - by there so called great advice 'dump your tree' that's the only solution to the problem you are having, we can't help you solve it....

Here are a few more I'm pretty sure are abandoned, all of which i would like to merge with: (I don't know how to add them to the abandoned tree project - http://www.geni.com/projects/Abandoned-Tree-H%C3%BCljatud-puu )

Robin Wallace
Charles Shiff
Donald Wilt
Karen Lee Morton
Elizabeth Cresentia Jenn

Did you report these trees as abandoned?

Stephen, I deleted my last message because I had accidentally given out confidential information.

All I can tell you is that Robin Wallace, Charles Shiff and Donald Wilt have abandoned their trees and have been reported.

Karen Lee Morton and Elizabeth Crecentia Jenn have not abandoned their trees and do not need to be reported.

Ok, thanks for the help.

@Erica, what does reporting a tree as abandoned do? I've done it a few times, and nothing ever seems to happen. I mean, I recognize that reporting it is a request that needs to be reviewed, but even trees I reported last Feb, nothing has happened with. Still my merges are pending, collab and family group invites are pending, for even close relatives like second and third cousins.

It only seems to do something when the user's email no longer exists, and then the system sometimes gives control of the person's tree over to the next closest relative on my tree.

And to be clear, I hope people come back to their trees! I just want to finish pending merges in the mean time, and when they do finally come back, I don't want anything to have changed, I want them to be in charge of their profiles, and everything the same except I want to have connected trees with them.

Private User Supposedly Geni was going to have notifications of any action on these requests. Checks in the mail!

So you're saying I should be emailed if the request is acted on? Because I don't think I have gotten any emails like that.

I'm saying that Geni says there are plans for notifications. I haven't had any either but still waiting. I have no idea how many I have reported but probably over 50.

Maybe Mike Stangel can give us a status report.

Showing 211-240 of 695 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion