Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1-30 of 1836 posts

Please see our blog post for today's changes to the Geni Pro and Basic (Free) accounts:

http://www.geni.com/blog/geni-pro-just-got-a-whole-lot-better-36966...

let's see...food on table or geni pro? ;)

so those of us who cannot afford the pro fee are now out of luck on being able to lend our knowledge and talents to building the big tree. i think you will be loosing out because those that may know more about a specific line, or period of history will not be able to contribute.

OK, I upgraded, but don't like being forced. I manage over 10,000 profiles, which are all public, and give Geni the fodder it needs to attract new members. Was any thought given to how ALL those merges were going to happen when managers are no longer able to do them? Hmmmm....

Change the name of this discussion to "Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better, Geni as a whole got a whole lot worse!"

Also now I am finding MPs with fields locked and cannot resolve conflicts. The top 14 on a page I am trying to resolve can not be done because they are locked.. Is this part of the "improvements"?

Eldon Lester Clark - email the curator. I usually only lock when the family gets messed up over and over, to avoid bad merges. And I unlock upon request quickly.

I am not going to take the time. That would be 14 extra things to do.Right now I am working on 741 conflicts and if 14 on the first two pages is any indication my percentage of success is going to be very low. I usually accept the MP data unless a location needs more data. if any field is locked you can not correct an unlocked one. Let the conflicting data pile up. At least if the whole profile is locked a email is generated to the curator as you well know.

Since individual subscriptions on Ancestry.com are so expensive, they have an alternative Library Subscription where libraries can subscribe and their patrons have free access to the collections. The New England Genealogical and Historical Society does the same thing. It's not as convenient as being able to access all of Geni at home, but perhaps Geni will consider having such a service for members who can't afford an individual Pro account. I've been on our local library board, and the Ancestry account at the library is our patrons' favorite service. Just a thought.

Wondering if this is how it is supposed to work; do not like at all! Hope it is a bug.

Currently
1) If I start typing in the name of my 2nd cousin once removed, the Drop Down Menu of suggestions includes her -
1a) if I click on it there, I go to her - so far, so good.
1b) if instead, I enter whole name, click, s/he will be included in set of choices - but if I click there, I get Ad for Geni Pro - if I say "No Thanks, Continue' - I go back to the window with search results.

2) Despite the fact my Family Group is set to Fourth Cousins, if I start typing a 3rd cousin in the search box, it only comes up in the Drop Down Window of suggestions if it is also "recent" - otherwise not and as above, it currently shows in search results when click on end of name entry - but if click on it in that window, just go to Ad for Pro with back to search results if say 'No thanks, continue'

I miss a way to return to my homepage or wall when I have been working on a profile or my tree.

Why isn't it possible anymore?

Private User Click on the GENI logo on the upper left hand. It takes you to your homepage. That also threw me and I was frantic. It's to the left of "Tree".

Also our message notifications are now hidden under a drop down menu so you don't know if you have messages merge center requests or what. Another "improvement"?

Henny, You can now click on the geni logo in the top left, which will take you to your home page.

Thanks Hatte and Lance :)

Another of the changes today - Listed under "Enhancements" in the Announcement on the Changes over in Help -

"Removed the “Add Family” link from profile pages. Users may now only add family from the tree" -- it was an Enhancement when they added that link, and now it is an enhancement when they removed it. Amazing.

Private User I am checking on this.

Private User - specifically I'm looking into the search issue. That might be a bug.

Geni - you have a problem ;-)

You reduce the help you need from non-pro members to build your world tree. We even cannot search open profiles here from the search box.

But - we can google them all ;-)

Why do you make it difficult for us to work here. You need our help to catch your goal.

If you want more users to subscribe I think you need to make it possible to pay in another way than by a visa-card or Paypall. Not all national bankcards are payable in foreign exchange and abroad. And not all countries are familiar with Paypall.
That's my problem for not being a pro-member for a period of time.

Further other users cannot afford to subscribe. But we all contribute with our profiles, don't we!

I have posted a lot of mergerequests from both my private tree and from the public part. That would not be possible in the future.
Several my mergerequests need to be confirmed by other managers ........ pro-members.

Hope you find another way we can subscribe than by visa or paypall.

Private User After you hit enter on the search results, you should be able to use the results on the "managed by me" tab to get to the profile. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Private User - If you type the full first and last names of the profile you are searching, and then click on the "Managed By Me" tab of the results once they are delivered, you should be able to get to the profiles.

We are discussing how we can make this more intuitive.

So - if Geni searches ALL of Geni, including Managed by Me, and shows all results, from there if I click on what I know is a profile I manage, I cannot go there -- BUT if I change search to just those Managed by Me, then I can go there. Definitely NOT intuitive.

Think this is also what several folks over on the Blog were trying to say they ran into - hope you have now told them over there about clicking on "Managed by Me" when they search for their folks.

What about if it is somebody in my Max Extended Family but a Claimed Profile or managed by someone else and not by me? How can I successfully search for that? How can my relatives with Claimed Profiles find the folks I am Managing who are in their Max Extended Family?

Maybe Geni was too good to be true. I can still open profiles from lists or profiles managed by me. And maybe it is good, that I don´t need any longer to waist my time at merging profiles far from my family.
Let´s see if I am still asked to approve merges. I may stop doing it, like many others have done before. Or have Geni found a solution to long lists of pending merges ?

some people are have choice-GeniPro or food on table or need to repair roof.....
but....
if I like give to someone Pro as GIFT!.... how to act?
maybe option in gift section?

"Geni Pro subscribers now have full permission to add on to, edit, and merge profiles in the historical parts of the tree".
Does this mean, that a Pro subscriber can finish all merges alone ? If so it helps a lot at cleaning long lists of of pending merges. It´s a big risk too, but collaborators can make mess as well.
What means historical parts of the tree ? Really historical, or all those who are not in anyone´s family group ?

Iida it is possible to give Geni Pro as a gift! It's on the menu at the top-right with your name, labeled "Give a Free Geni Pro Trial"

I for one am glad that the people who do not know what they are doing are no longer creating bad merges.

I think I can see where Geni is saying that if you are devoted to the cause, you will become a pro and take on more responsibility, although I am not sure the "inability" to pay vs the "lack of interest" in paying was considered.

Perhaps Geni can offer a "special" payment option (like four smaller payments, the ability to send a check) to those people who are very active with lots of profiles but on limited budgets?

Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns It doesn't appear as if you have tied any of the 24000 profiles you have added or manage to the big tree. It looks to me like you are just using Geni's servers to store your family history.

If you don't have any family who cares about your history or in maintaining it for anyone in the future (as you have posted repeatedly in many different discussions) and you have no apparent ties to the big tree (which is what being PRO is geared towards), then why all the complaints? You can download any number of software programs for free and store your history on your own hard drive.

If you don't have ties to the big tree, no one on Geni really cares about all of your documents anyway. If you had added a profile that tied you to the tree, then we would love to have your info, but since you haven't.....????

Let me amend my post of 11:38 to say... those who are very active with HISTORICAL BIG TREE profiles....

Pending Merge with Public Profile, my version Private - finally approved the merge - but after this change, and I am non-Pro- so all I got was an Ad for Pro, merge is still Pending. So - Non-Pro can no longer Approve Pending Merge to Public Profile. Not quite sure how this helps folks.

For clarification:

Can Non-Pros even merge Private Profiles when they manage both and both are in their family group?

Mike Stangel@Mike not free trial but real 2-year subscription :)

Showing 1-30 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion