Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1771-1800 of 1836 posts

I'm addicted to the new matches... I'm going to bed I swear I am hahaha!

You're a great tester Wendi!

;D

Justin, I too have been working on my distant lines and cousins ete but my concern is when the match. which in the case i mentioned did match except for that non existent child. I just don't mis info in there. What's really funny about those perticular matches, it's all the same person. Like several dups of the same profile by the same person and i recognize her because I have run into her on roots and i beleive I have been in contact with her and am the one who gave her my end of the tree.I know I was in contact with several persons on roots just to see if they had more info on further back family members. Acturally they didn't . My line had been totally missed . so I was a new player in the field. I had more this line then did.Maybe if I go back onto roots and try to find her i can contact her about this. I can mot make matches or confirm them on Geni or MH. Not a Pro, remember!So you people on Geni can yes and no all you want but I can't!

Wendi , I am glad you are getting results from the matches. Like I said before so far in the ones I am most interested in not one single hit on any of them. Maybe later on something will tirn up;

Private User I'm finding some of the same problems. I'm getting referenced to two trees that have been set up by distant cousins on MH. I can't do a thing about them because you can't merge a Geni tree with a MH tree -- and even to contact the person who set up the tree on MH seems to be something I can't do without getting a paid membership.

I have a question about the smart matches and record matches. If I confirm a match, can other collaborators who do not have memberships to geni & MH see that info? Down the road if I don't rejoin MH will I be able to see the matches & info from MH attached to those profiles?

Wendi, I think you must be like me. These matches are so addicting. If I were going to embrace a conspiracy theory it would be that Geni has done this on purpose so that I will quit my job. Then, my Geni addiction will be complete ;)

Hatte, I do exactly the same thing. My ancestry is so scattered that there's no other way to do it. I don't think it matters how long you've been doing genealogy.

I pick up one area, work until I get distracted by something else. I always intend to get back there, but sometimes it's months, or even years. In the meantime, I toss all the bits and pieces into Evernote so that I will be able to pick up again easily.

I'm seeing exactly the same thing you are -- this new matching feature is a great "forcing function" to lead me back to lines I've neglected for a while. To keep my sanity, I have to do it in waves. I can't take them in order. I have work first in one area, then pick up another.

Justin Durand LOL! And they just keep coming ahahaha.

Jill Anne Bogdanowicz-Wilson ... what you see in the Sources tab on the Geni profile is what everyone who can view that Geni profile will see. If it is a public profile, then that means anyone. If they want to view the specific details of the match, then they would have to have a MyHeritage login.

In other words, once confirmed (by whomever!), you will see the information that is visible on the Geni profile.

Dan, That's great news!

Well, Bruce, I can neither approve or deny matches. It won't let me without paying for it. As usual for some of us it all stinks!

Buce, It would be nice if we all had infinite access to every genealogy resource on the web, but we don't. I can't do anything about all the erroneous trees on MH, or Rootsweb, or Ancestry unless I contact the managers individually and coax them into changing their data.

Obviously, Geni is the center of the genealogical world but that doesn't mean Geni can reach into every tree everywhere and make them change ;)

There is another way that you can look at this Private User.

All users on Geni, whether they are paid or not, benefit from tools and features that people who pay for advanced features use. Similarly, if someone in the World Tree finds a Smart Match and adds it to the tree, you benefit. So in some sense you are looking a gift horse in the mouth, it might seem :)

As Justin has said several times, ignore advanced features you don't choose to subscribe to, but you need to admit that both you and those who do subscribe will benefit over time, as new sources / matches happen.

Liston Hattie it 's not that I don't choose to join. I can not afford too. Plain and simple. I am lucky I can pay for the cable and rent and food. That's the way it is.And I will not be benefiting , if the matches are matched incorrectly. So far I think they've all been on historical ones not my direct lines. I could care less about the historical ones. Everyone has there fingers in them!What I care about is my immediate line / lines. That's just the way it is or as they say oIt is what is! Judy

Should we start a new thread for suspected bugs/glitches or does one already exist?

If in fact someone manages to pick up on my father's side and has good solid info to add, then I will benefit but for the time being , I am getting almost nothing out of this and you people are getting everyhting I have ,consolidated into your trees. which is a lot. No gift horse as far as I can see. At least for the time being it's a dud! Down the road we will see!Judy

I didn't choose to pay for Ancestry's World Subscription because it was beyond what I budgeted for genealogy. But when click on a profile and they tell me they can't provide information unless I buy an Ancestry World Subscription, I don't get angry or write them irate emails!

We all do have to make choices. I keep my car for 200,000 miles so don't have great gas mileage, a hybrid, a GPS, yadda yadda.

I hope that you will get something out of Smart Matches or the access to Sources, Private User, because someone on the World Tree does subscribe and does accept a match that benefits you.

But like the Ancestry World Subscription, I don't worry about who has one and what they're getting. I use what I subscribe to and live with my choices and my budget :)

Nice to see the happy Curators. How many of the reported 6 million Geni users, by orders of magnitude not PRO and MyHeritage data account holders, will be converted to happy hunters remains to be seen. Meanwhile, there are parts to this world where the largely US based Records and Smart Matches have little value, and to see them at the cost of 12 monthly subscriptions up front will not happen.

Call them a small minority, but there are also Geni users who take pride in appearance of their tree branch, and endeavor to keep it clean. Currently the tree view offers several options for the account holder, among these even the option of turning node yellow arrows OFF or ON. If the yellow arrows can be turned ON and OFF, it is not too much to ask Geni to provide the same option for blue dots.

I have never emailed Geni but I have offered by opinion in discussion, which is my right to do and i am not angry just not happy about the chance of having my line messed up. Like I said the historical ones are fair game. I am hoping for exactly that a good match1 That was my point. it ain't in my badget. That's life , what can I say. Everytime I decide well maybe i join , something happens to stop me. I guess it's not meant to be. well, if i manage to live another 20 years maybe I'll get to join! That'l make me 88 in June 2033. Of course by then I may not be able to do much of anything!!!1However, I plan to make to at least 92. My grandmother was 91 when she died and all together , too!

The newspapers are pretty cool, but I have to admit for some reason the viewer gives me a bit of as headache. It would be great if somehow the excerpt could also be highlighted on the actual paper, so you don't have to go searching for the text. Perhaps I need glasses, but it strains my eyes o.O

Vello I hear your points. I know that MyHeritage has good worldwide penetration for their family trees, but I don't know how they are for their record holdings - and what's to come.

I'm not going to address the design issues except to say that visually I'm already used to it, and there are improvements and options I would like to see, too, so we'll see what happens from the feedback.

What i can talk about is the matching technology. I have extremely common names in my tree (Smith, Jones, Hill).

I'm getting SmartMatches and not false hits.

As promised - delivered. That's pretty amazing for a few days into an enormous software deployment.

Wendi it's a better viewer than Ancestry's though - and with an instant PDF maker built in, which is especially cool.

Erica Howton Yes, I agree. It just hurts my eyes for some reason. I'm skipping over newspapers for the moment.

Now if I could get into old newspapers that would be nice.

I though some MH was going to be available to non pros.

Judi you need to have a free / basic MH account I THINK. I'm pretty sure that's the way it works but please, I'm new to this too. :(.

Read the blog post in detail

http://www.geni.com/blog/

From looking around last night, I think you can view the 'free' databases on MH just like you can the other matches, but in order to have it appear as a source in your Geni profile, you have ot have a paid subscription regardless of whether it's a free database such as FindAGrave or not... granted i could be wrong.

Wendi that doesn't sound quite right either. :(. I'm tired. It might be on the Help FAQ if it isn't described clearly in the blog.

Showing 1771-1800 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion