. . . a single, collaborative world family tree . . .

Started by Peter De Bie on Friday, August 12, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 361-390 of 514 posts

Private User
Kenneth Tregear
I wonder how many others are asking themselves that same question now.
I'm already paying elsewhere and took more than 550,000 profiles, nobody tells me anything, I do the merges, and I own my profiles.
I've been saying this a long time.
Only employees of his Geni and GEO, will be along with some healers, admiring profiles of who knows whom? If they live, they die, get divorced, they must be associated with Google to find something and be a Tree World Auto.
Sincerely Mr. Kenneth Tregear

Private User
David Kaleita
From my experience nothing worthwhile in life remains free forever.
I agree with you. that nothing is free, but it is true that changing the rules unilaterally, there is no contract in the world that can be done in this way, violating the Comsumidores Defender and the FFCC

Private User
Recently Online
Sherry Houy online now
Jennifer Young online now
Olav Linno Poëll online now
Günther Kipp online now
Bjørn Brox online now
Janet Palo-Jackson online now
Maria Edmonds-Zediker online now
Catherine "Erin" Spiceland online now
Erica Howton online now
Selva González Massaro today
Eldon Clark today
Faustine Humphris today
Philip Decker Edwards today
Jean-François ANTOINE today
Martin Eriksen online now
Even Emil Haugereid today
Douglas Kellner today
Donald Colvin today
Lars Söderström today
yeah~net◦tje Uilenreef today

Who is working with the new Rules ?

Before the August changes, the only folks who could edit a Public profile were the managers, their collaborators, and folks in the profile's Max Extended Family.

For those who accepted all who asked to collaborate and had many, many "Collaborators" each of whom did their own thing with no touching base, communicating about changes, etc. the August changes may have changed little.

For folks such as Ken, who actually touched base, and kept in communication with everyone having access to the Profiles they were interested in, the August changes allowing all Pros to edit any Public profiles they wanted to, etc. created a very different environment.

Hmmm... I guess I somehow missed that little tidbit.

So what benefit is there to Pro account holders to have any Collaborators at all? I can see the benefit to free account holders, but what's to keep the Pro account holders from immediately shutting down all of their collaborators?

David, where can I see a list of my Collaborators now and in the past? I know a lot of names and know we have worked together to finish mergers and also in many cases joined families - but a full list, anywhere?

/SW

David, one of the benefits of collaboration is that you can see what areas they are working on in the news feed. Then if you have knowledge of the area, you can pitch in and help.

Lo, I work both ways with my collaborators. I see no reason to consult on minor changes such as spellings, locations, names in improper fields, etc. Anything major needs consultation.

Sten Waldö - if you look at your own profile -right above- choose TAB Activity, you see your Collaborators and Following. succes.

Something still doesn't see quite right. If the August change gave all Pro accounts the ability to edit all public profiles, then why can't I complete this merge?

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000014476644542?fsession%5Fid...

Simply because Robert le Grosvenor, of Hulme is not part of "the big tree", which means that the manager or someone in that tree have to approve that they get connected.

In other words, the August change did not give all Pro accounts the ability to edit ALL public profiles- but only those that you are already connected to.

So, now I'm confused. What is it that makes a PUBLIC, deceased profile a part of "the big tree" or not?

It was the November 1st change that introduced that restriction. Too many got dragged in without being asked and we did also get some fake trees (based on figures in TV series etc) connected.

http://help.geni.com/entries/20640938-november-1-changes-to-members...

Not even curators can connect an unconnected tree now unless the manager accept collaboration or family group access if it is a private tree.

Dan: If you see the path or [How are you related?] button to find the path it is connected.

In any case you should always ask the manager to collaborate because even if you are Pro not all fields are open for edit (those who are not under revision control yet).

Collaborators are now irrelevant to a Pro user.

If a Pro deleted their list of collaborators, no functionality would be lost.

If you're wanting a newsfeed on any profile or member, that is the Follow function.

It is not irrelevant if you want to connect an unconnected tree and secondly you don't have access to edit all fields or change connections on a profile unless you are collaborating with the manager.

That last piece is new to me. Which fields in a profile require collaboration? I haven't found anything that mentions this.

Ken, Pro edit access to public profiles is limited to the "basics" fields, i.e. those that are under full revision control. I believe the first edit tab (entitled Basics) is a perfect or near-perfect representation of which fields those are. The other tabs (when editing) are not available unless you are a manager or collaborating with a manager.

I find it quite irritating, that the relationships field is inaccessible even when it is empty and I happen to have that missing piece of info. Same goes for location of birth.

/SW

agree with you Sten Waldö

Agree as well!

I found a bug or something that needs to be fixed. Maybe it´s already reported, but...here it is. When in the middle of merging wizard the wizard breaks or quits abnormally in the middle of certain actions, usually when a set of merges is completed and wizard searches for other profiles that have tree conflicts. If the wizard breaks when it usually takes you to the profile where you started the merging process or sometimes to the profile with last set of merges. I´m not 100% sure, but it seems that if the wizard breaks then it removes one of the yellow triangles that had duplicate partner or smth like that. So...sometimes some of the profiles with duplicate partners are left without attention and i have to look over the tree to locate them. That is pretty annoying. Could there be a script in the wizard that also considers found duplicates as children? Also...when there are duplicate profiles that have unknown partners (empty box), but the identical sets of children and i merge the duplicate profiles then the merged profile is left without further attention by the wizard if there is no conflict with the merged profile´s parents. It thinks it´s supposed to be alright and no yellow triangle. There are such stupid tree conflicts in the tree that i have to choose between mother and father & mother and unknown partner or father and mother & father and unknown partner or there is a profile that has one parent and multiple unknown "other halfs" and i must choose on of the unkown´s. Also there is no indication in the profile view when any profile has such tree conflict.

Jaak, I noticed that same problem starting early this year. It's like the Wizard can't figure out where to go next after completing the last actions, so it just stops- leaving lots of other unfinished related business in that area of the tree that you then need to look for manually. It doesn't really leave anything seriously screwed up- but rather, acts just like when you manually cancel out of the wizard when there are still some things to do.

Jaak Tulp -- Under the "Actions" button is a "View Nearby Merge Issues" ... does that do what you want?

Myself, there are times when I'd rather the "merge wizard" would NOT automatically search for other nearby merges -- because I want to handle them in a particular order and -- if there are a lot of them -- the ones I want to handle next are not necessarily those shown by the "wizard".

Why do them in a certain order? Because resolving parents (ancestors) first will often resolve merge/conflicts among children automatically -- so I try to do the most distant ancestor with a conflict first ... then work my way down.

OK, everything clear and understandable and i do so also sometimes, but if there is a tool then it should work also and it can always be better. So it was ment as a tip to the software engineers. I would like that if the wizard begins then it doesn´t break just because it can´t choose or there is something that doesn´t let it finish it´s job. It makes everyone life easier. Another thing....sometimes merge center shows tree conflict to some profiles that have no tree conflict and after resolving it starting from merge center there are (or may be) conficting data of the profile, not before resolving the not-existing conflict. I figured out that it might be because if the duplicate parents of the particular parents are merged "from blue crosses" and not from yellow triangle then the tree conflict remains sometimes. Not the yellow triangle sign, but the profile in the merge center tree issues.

i´m sorry, i made a typo. duplicate parents of the particular profile.

With the new restrictions is there any way for me as a Pro member to merge my profiles with private profiles created by non-paying members?

Sara, - that option have never changed: To be able to merge private profiles you have always needed family group access, either real or as an extended family group member with the manager.

And that includes private profiles long dead, right? IMHO absolutely crazy and a true obstacle to building one world wide tree.

/Sten

Showing 361-390 of 514 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion