Capt. James Parker

Is your surname Parker?

Research the Parker family

Capt. James Parker's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Related Projects

James Parker

Also Known As: "Captain James Parker"
Birthdate:
Birthplace: Great Burstead, Essex, England
Death: Died in Groton, Middlesex County, Province of Massachusetts
Immediate Family:

Son of John Parker; John Parker; Joanne Parker and Joanna Parker
Husband of Elizabeth Parker; Elizabeth Parker and Eunice Parker
Father of Josiah Parker; Elizabeth Gerry; Hannah Blood; John Parker; Sarah Parker and 11 others
Brother of Abraham Parker; Mary Chamberlin; Sgt. John Parker; Joseph Parker; Joshua Parker and 1 other

Occupation: Captain
Managed by: Ben M. Angel
Last Updated:

About Capt. James Parker

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/o/p/Sandra-Popiel/FILE/3496text.txt

Generation No. 1

  • 1. JAMES1 PARKER was born 1617, and died 1700.
    • He married (1) ELIZABETH LONG 28 May 1644,
      • daughter of ROBERT LONG and ELIZABETH TAYLOR.
      • She was born Abt. 1623.
    • He married (2) EUNICE Abt. 1696.
'''Notes for JAMES PARKER:'''
  • --Captain;
  • --came from England 1634;
  • --settled at Woburn, Massachusetts;
  • --probably related to some of the numerous other pioneers of this surname, who located in that section of the Bay colony, Abraham Parker at Woburn, John Parker, of Woburn and Billerica, who were brothers, and perhaps others.
  • James Parker moved to Billerica about 1654, to Chelmsford, Massachusetts, in 1658, and to Groton in 1660;
  • --Children of JAMES PARKER and ELIZABETH LONG are:
    • i. ELIZABETH2 PARKER, b. 12 Apr 1645, Woburn.
    • ii. ANNA PARKER, b. 05 Jan 1647.
    • iii. JOHN PARKER, b. 18 Jan 1649.
    • iv. SARAH PARKER, b. 29 Aug 1650; d. Died young.
    • v. JOSEPH PARKER, b. 1651, Woburn.
    • 2. vi. JAMES PARKER, b. 15 Apr 1652; d. 27 Jul 1694, Billerica.
    • vii. JOSIAH PARKER, b. 1655.
    • viii. SAMUEL PARKER, b. Abt. 1657.
    • ix. JOSHUA PARKER, b. 03 Mar 1658, Chelmsford.
    • x. ZACHARIAH PARKER, b. 14 Jan 1659.
    • 3. xi. ELEAZER PARKER, b. 09 Nov 1667, Groton; d. 26 Jun 1705, Groton, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
  • Child of JAMES PARKER and EUNICE is:
    • xii. SARAH2 PARKER, b. 12 Dec 1697.
***************************

http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr02/rr02_268.html#P32415

Spouse: 2652. Elizabeth Long.

  • Born ca 1621 in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
  • Elizabeth was baptized in St Albans Abbey, on 14 Nov 1621.[14]
  • On 23 May 1643 Elizabeth married Capt. James Parker,
    • son of John Parker (ca 1585/1690-) & Ann [Parker], in Woburn, MA.[24]
    • Born ca 1617 in Great Burstead, Essex.
    • James died in 1701 in Groton, MA.[24]
  • James was in Woburn by 1640.
  • He was freeman 1644, and a grantee of Billerica.
  • He removed to Chelmsford by 1655.
  • Later he removed to Groton, and perhaps, by a second wife Eunice, had, very late in life, Sarah, again, 12 Dec. 1697. Butler, Hist. 282, refers to the will in proof.[24]

Their children include:

  • 7328 i. Elizabeth Parker (12 Mar 1645-)
  • 7329 ii. Ann Parker (5 Mar 1647-14 Jan 1728)
  • 7330 iii. John Parker (18 Feb 1649-)
  • 7331 iv. Sarah Parker (Died soon) (29 Aug 1650-15 Oct 1651)
  • 7332 v. Joseph Parker (ca 1651-)
  • 7333 vi. James Parker (15 Apr 1652-27 Jul 1694)
  • 7334 vii. Capt. Josiah Parker (1652-1731)
  • 7335 viii. Samuel Parker (1 Feb 1656-ca 1712)
  • 7336 ix. Joshua Parker (13 Mar 1658-1691)
  • 7337 x. Zechariah Parker (14 Jan 1659-)
  • 7338 xi. Eleazer Parker (9 Nov 1660-ca 1704/5)
***************************

In 1673, James Parker was promoted to lieutenant and then captain of the local militia – or pikemen, as they were called – indicating that worries over possible war with the native tribes were rising. Then in 1675, town records begin to show Groton’s particular concern, being, along with Lancaster and Marlborough to the south, the western-most settlements of the Bay Colony and the most exposed to attack.

Dr. Samuel Green records in his Groton During the Indian Wars that when Capt. Parker and his fellow selectmen met on July 22 that year, they set a tax levy “for the defraying of the charg of the ware.” In August, Parker followed up with a letter to the colonial governor noting that the townspeople “are in very great strait” and “much discouraged in their spirits,” and he requested ammunition and muskets “for their pikemen.”

Also in the letter, Parker notes that “the Indians are aproaching near to us our scouts hav discovered severall tracks very near the habitable parts of the town and one Indian they discovered but escapt from them by skulking amongst the bushes and som of the Inhabitants of our town have heard them in the night singing and hallowing.”

The Indian King

Metacom, known in the Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay Colonies as King Philip, was the son of Wampanoag sachem Massasoit. Although the father had become an ally of the Pilgrims, the son waged war against the Europeans who were increasingly usurping the Indians' ancestral lands.

Assisting Capt. Parker in preparing defenses against Indian attacks was Major Simon Willard of the Nonacoicus section of Groton (now Ayer). He was the father of town minister Samuel Willard. Simon Willard, one of the original founders of Concord, served in various important capacities throughout the colony. He was a member of the Massachusetts Court of Assistants, and he led a 1652 expedition in the name of Governor John Endicott to the headwaters of the Merrimack River at present-day Weirs Beach, N.H., then considered to be the northern boundary of Massachusetts .

Major Willard and Capt. Parker led a contingent that marched in August 1675 to the rescue of the new western community of Brookfield “and just in the nick of time saved that town from massacre,” according to Dr. Green.

A lull in the conflict late in 1675 brought to the forefront the issue of who should pay the expenses of protecting the Colony and the towns. A September 1675 edict came down from the Governor and Council that they “do expect their bee meet provisions of victual made for the garrison soldiers herby ordered, at the charge of towne; whch is not to bee brought unto the accot of the publicke.”

According to Green, Groton was assessed 11 pounds, 10 shillings for its share of war costs, whereupon Capt. Parker was selected to head up a committee in November “chosen to treat with Mr. Willard about sending down to the generall court to Enforme and supplicat to them that we may have payd to us what is our due from the countrey and also that the Billit [upkeep] of the souldiers may be upon the countreys account.”

However, as Indian threats increased once again a month later, town residents were a little more agreeable to pay. “At a Generall Towne meeting held Decem 9 75 It was this day agreed upon and by vot declared that the soldiers that are still remaining in the town shalbe continued in the towne at the town charg till such tim as we hear a returne from the army goei[ng] against the naroganset.” On March 13, a contingent of an estimated 400 Indians set about burning all the fields and buildings in Groton, including about 40 dwellings, the meeting house and Samuel Willard’s garrison house.

Looking West Toward Wachusetts

During King Philip’s War, the Nipmuck chief Monoco, also known as One-Eyed John, gathered an estimated 400 Native American warriors in the Wachusetts hills. From here, he staged attacks against such communities as Lancaster and Groton.

Those inside the destroyed garrison, according to Green, were able to escape and crowd into Capt. Parker’s. When the smoke cleared, all that remained in Groton were the other four fortified garrison houses.

An account of King Philip’s War written by the famed Puritan Increase Mather shortly after the attack and cited in Green’s history reads: “March 13, The Indians assaulted Groton, and left but few houses standing. So that this day also another Candlestick was removed out of its place. One of the first houses that the Enemy destroyed in this place, was the House of God, h.e. whice was built, and set apart for the celebration of the publick Worship of God.”

Another account of the attack on Groton was written by the Rev. William Hubbard, who, along with Mather, shares responsibility for the Puritan-justified bias toward the war following the death of King Philip. Hubbard writes that One-Eyed John, buoyed by his success, called out to Capt. Parker the night after the attack, and the chief “entertained a great deal of Discourse with him, whom he called his old Neighbour; dilating upon the cause of the War, and putting an end to it by a friendly peace.”

In retrospect, this meeting must have taken a great deal of courage on behalf of the defeated town leader. Monoco’s sincerity in offering peace was questionable, however, as he reportedly boasted to Capt. Parker that “he burnt Medfield,… Lancaster, and that now he would burn the Town of Groton, and the next time he would burn Chlemsford, Concord, Watertown, Cambridge, Charlestown, Roxbury, Boston, adding at last in their Dialect, What Me will, Me do.” This parley between Monoco and Capt. Parker is the subject of a historic marker on modern day Main Street in Groton.

Hubbard goes into more gruesome detail describing the events of the day after the attack. After “making themselves merry” over night, he reported, the Indians “stript the body of him whom they had slain in the first onset, and then cutting off his head, fixed it upon a pole looking towards his own land. The corpse of the man slain the week before, they dug up out of his grave, they cut off his head and one leg, and set them upon poles, and stript off his winding-sheet. An infant which they found dead in the house first surprised, they cut in pieces, which afterward they cast to the swine.”

(It should be noted that Pilgrim and Puritan soldiers in some instances engaged in equally barbarous treatment of slain Indians. For example, the severed head of King Philip was displayed at Plymouth for more than twenty years following his death in 1676.)

About five days after the final destructive attack on Groton, the remaining residents effected an escape to the east, and the charred town, in Green’s words, “was abandoned altogether by the settlers.” As for One-Eyed John, he partially carried out his threat by burning some of the buildings at Chelmsford, but he was eventually captured and hanged in Boston on September 26, 1676.

“Fortunately the loss of life or limb on the part of the inhabitants of the town was small,” writes Dr. Green, “and it is not known that more than three persons were killed.” He adds, “two were made prisoners, of whom one escaped from the savages.” The other captive was ransomed.

In describing the impact of Indian wars, Caleb Butler poignantly asks in his Groton history, “(H)ad our Puritan forefathers the… right to dispossess the aborigines of this country, and utterly annihilate the race...? They seem so to have believed, and so to have conducted.”

In the 2000 documentary film The History of King Philip’s War, commentator Michael Tongias puts it even more bluntly, calling the treatment of Indians after the war of 1675-76 an example of “ethnic cleansing.”

--------------------

  • Soon after arriving VA from Gravesend, England he became partner of Thomas Chamberlain in land purchases.
  • Parkers were from Billericay, County Essex, England and from nearby Rayleigh.
view all 42

Capt. James Parker's Timeline

1615
December 12, 1615
Grantham, Lincoln, England
1617
May 18, 1617
St. Nicholas, Colchester, Ess, Eng
May 18, 1617
ST NICHOLAS, COLCHESTER, ESSEX, ENG
May 18, 1617
St. Nicholas, Colchester, Ess, Eng
May 18, 1617
St. Nicholas, Colchester, Ess, Eng
May 18, 1617
St. Nicholas, Colchester, Ess, Eng
May 18, 1617
St. Nicholas, Colchester, Ess, Eng
September 1, 1617
Great Burstead, Essex, England
1645
March 12, 1645
Age 27
Woburn, Middlesex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
1647
March 5, 1647
Age 29
Woburn, Middlesex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony