People Connected to Somerset
People connected to Somerset can be placed in the following groups.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historical Somerset which covers the History of Somerset and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Families with their roots in Somerset.
Please add the earliest head of the family to the list of Somerset Families on Geni below and link their profiles to the project. These should be male! Adding anyone with a Somerset birthplace to the project would cause the project to be a little cluttered, so please restrict this to the earliest head of family!
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Somerset - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Somerset who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Somerset families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project - there is no point in duplicating the list.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Non-bold links take you to other biographical web pages.
Somerset Genealogical Resources
- Genuki Somerset Page
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks
- Somerset & Dorset Family History Society
- The visitation of the county of Somerset in the year 1623 (1876)
- Abstracts of Somersetshire Wills, Etc: 1st Series
- Abstracts of Somersetshire wills, etc. (1887) 2nd Series
- Abstracts of Somersetshire wills, etc: 3rd Series
- Abstracts of Somersetshire Wills, Etc: 4th Series
- Abstracts of Somersetshire Wills, Etc: 5th Series
- Abstracts of Somersetshire Wills, Etc: 6th Series
- The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire; Vol. 1 parts 3-6
- The visitation of the county of Somerset in the year 1623
Somerset Families on Geni
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- Hugh de Hull 1457-1379)
- William Hussey (c.1030-1086) from Normandy, died in Somerset. It is presumed that he accompanied William the Conqueror in his invasion of England and participated in the Battle of Hastings in 1066. It is suggested that he held land in Somersetshire, probably Sanford Manor, as his portion of the spoils of conquest. He and his brother, Walter Hussey were listed as residents of Somersetshire in 1080 living in the vicinity of Bath, according to "Doomesday Book".
- Isaac Knight (c1559-1634)
Emigrants from Somerset
Please add the names of people from Somerset who settled in the "New World"
- Henry Adams
- Walter Knight (1586 Staplegrove - 1634 Massachusetts)
- William Phelps of Windsor, CT
- Great Migration: Passengers of the Mary & John, 1630 "Nearly all of the Mary and John 1630 passengers came from the West Country counties of Somerset, Dorset , Devon, and West Country towns of Dorchester, Bridport, Crewkerne and Exeter."