Bring your pioneer ancestors on over. Profiles must be set to public.
The Territory South of the River Ohio, more commonly known as the Southwest Territory, was an organized incorporated territory of the United States that existed from May 26, 1790, until June 1, 1796, when it was admitted to the United States as the State of Tennessee.
Philadelphia, November 8, l791.
Sir: I have now the honor to enclose you a report on the lands of the United States within the Northwestern and Southwestern Territories, unclaimed either by Indians or by citizens of these States.
In order to make the estimate of their quantity and situation, as desired by the Legislature, it appeared necessary, first, to delineate the Indian boundaries which circumscribe those territories, and then to present a statement of all claims of citizens within the same; from whence results the residuary unclaimed mass, whereon any land law the Legislature may think proper to pass nay operate immediately, and without obstruction.
I have not presumed to decide on the merits of the several claims, nor, consequently, to investigate them minutely; this will only be proper, when such of them as may be thought doubtful if there should be any such, shall be taken up for final decision.
I have the honor to be, with sentiments of the most perfect respect and attachment, Sir, your most obedient and most humble servant, Th. Jefferson
- Gov. William Blount
- Daniel Boone
- Dragging Canoe
- Sen. William Cocke
- Judge Richard Henderson
- Gen. James Robertson
- Gov. John Sevier
- Gov. Isaac Shelby
- United States Territory South of the River Ohio
- Southwest Territory entry, Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture
- Pioneers of the Old Southwest: A Chronicle of the Dark and Bloody Ground. By Constance Lindsay Skinner. Oxford University Press, 1919
- The Conquest of the Old Southwest by Archibald Henderson. Review by: Chas. WV. Ramsdell. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly , Vol. 25, No. 3 (Jan., 1922), pp. 222-224 Published by: Texas State Historical Association Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/30234831
- Knoxville Gazette, Rogersville, TN. Issues 5 Nov 1791 - 9 Jan 1795
- Signers of the Cumberland Compact, 1780
- Ramsey's Annals of Tennessee to the End of the Eighteenth Century (1853) - Chapter VII: Territory of the United States South of the Ohio River - Page 541
- Documenting Ancestors - Territory Southwest of the River Ohio